AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-04-12, 11:15   Link #961
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
REC has references to Audrey's films, not Katherine's.

Just last night I heard an interview on the BBC with Bogart's son, Stephen, whose mother was Lauren Bacall. Apparently some entrepreneurs purchased the Queen, refitted it, and are now offering tours in the Florida Keys. I believe the ship will be based, appropriately enough, in Key Largo. That's a decent film, but not my favorite of the Bogart/Bacall collaborations from those late-40's Warner Brothers days. That honor is reserved for To Have and Have Not. The 19-year-old Bacall just exudes sexuality throughout that film. It's not hard to see why the two of them ended up together, even though Bogey was twice her age.

One of the two BBC commentators mentioned he had never seen The African Queen, and his partner was shocked!

Hahahaha, now that's funny, sort of.

I read somewhere that Bogart always called Bacall 'baby'. Is it true?

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 14:39   Link #962
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I read somewhere that Bogart always called Bacall 'baby'. Is it true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphre...art_and_Bacall
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:13   Link #963
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. that was a common term of endearment back then...
Old 2012-04-12, 15:34   Link #964
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well.. that was a common term of endearment back then...
I think it had more to do with Bacall being nineteen while Bogie was in his early forties!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:43   Link #965
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think it had more to do with Bacall being nineteen while Bogie was in his early forties!
Heh, yeah I knew that ... I joke that quite a lot of modern anime has antecedents in movies of the 40s/50s/60s -- especially the rom-coms (which REC explicitly noted).

I often point to Jerry Lewis's "The Ladies Man" as the grandfather of all harem anime.
Old 2012-04-12, 16:18   Link #966
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Saw The Hunger Games recently and was presently suprised. When all the Twilight comparisons came about was very apprehensive. Thankfully it was only to due with them being books with a large fanbase already and nothing to do with the story.

Decent watch.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 17:40   Link #967
mochichan

I saw Battle Royale
Well it's my second time but I re watched it after I saw Hunger games

BR really is the best...
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 22:52   Link #968
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Recently watched The Warlords. I saw a scene from a NicoDouga video on "Scenes where people shoot a barrage of bullets (something like that, had stuff like Waterloo and The Patriot and a couple of Civil War films, Last Samurai)" and it was on NicoDouga, so I decided to watch it because it was a Chinese film and the scene I saw was cool.
Not bad, though parts of the beginning jumped too much and was slightly confusing.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 22:54   Link #969
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
I saw Battle Royale
Well it's my second time but I re watched it after I saw Hunger games

BR really is the best...
Aye... my older son was dragged to see the Hunger Games and spent the whole time thinking about Battle Royale.
Old 2012-04-14, 00:36   Link #970
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... my older son was dragged to see the Hunger Games and spent the whole time thinking about Battle Royale.
I tend to disagree. "Hunger Games" is more similar to Shirley Jackson's The Lottery mixed with Stephen King's The Running Man (the short story, not the stupidly fun Arnold movie).

Whatever the case, the worlds are quite different in my opinion (they are definitely comparable, but their cultural underpinnings are more than adequate to easily differentiate the two).

That being said, I saw "Cabin in the Woods" (again) earlier today, and it also reminded me of The Lottery . The film is quite fun, even if it is not very scary (and mostly a fun exercise and critique of modern horror films), with a terrific third act and conclusion. And Chris Hemsworth is quite gorgeous.... And it's always nice to see the adorable (and sneaky hot) Amy Acker.

Additionally, I've been going through a lot of the old MTM television shows recently. "Lou Grant", "WKRP", "Hill Street Blues", "Newhart" and, of course, the namesake series "Mary Tyler Moore". I don't know why I decided to rewatch these classic series, but I am glad I did. They all hold up amazingly well over the decades, and while dated around the edges, they are still obviously very modern in their design and appeal.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-04-14 at 00:48.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 01:43   Link #971
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I actually tend to agree with you... the background of the Hunger Games immediately had me thinking of "The Running Man" story (both the King story and the movie, actually).

I also got emanations of the old Heinlein "Tunnel in the Sky" though only in the "teens must survive to graduate/win in lethal environment" sense.

He was mostly just in a "Ya know, I'd rather be watching BR on a large screen" mood. His real critique was "Thank god, maybe the mobs will latch onto this and Twilight can go sparkle into the Pit of Doom"

Just to keep this on topic:
Recent movies I've watched -
Amelie --- a French movie I recommend to anime rom-com fans. Its silly, perky, and now I know where a particular ad campaign got its idea. The actress is positively cute-gorgeous. A quirky dysfunctional girl grows up and tries to do good deeds and find love. It is hilariously French...

Hugo --- the Scorsese family movie. I'd never read the source material so I had no idea what to expect. It was grounded in a lot more reality than I expected (I kept waiting for the fantasy eruption... but though it was "magical" it never really left the realm of the normal). Lots of amazing cameos -- and it took me a minute to realize who the rail station inspector was .
Old 2012-04-19, 06:52   Link #972
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I watched "Indiscreet" (1958) again. It's one of the best romantic comedy films! The hilarious misunderstanding that ensues, and Anna's revenge! The last 10 minutes of the movie is the best. I LOL at Philip's expression when he sees Anna's driver coming out of her room. It's nice to see them again after "Notorious" (1946). They were young back then, and the sexual tension in that movie, woah. No words could describe it. In this movie, they had aged considerably, but their acting were still as commendable as ever.

Old 2012-04-19, 12:19   Link #973
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Went to see 21 Jump street and damn I hate to admit it but it was friggin fantastic, very funny movie and I now have a new found level of respect for channing tatum that dude really doesn't take himself seriously at all....in a good way. To anybody who likes movies that keep the laughs coming a mile a minute with a surprising story twist and a great cameo do yourself a favour and go see this movie.
Old 2012-04-19, 20:51   Link #974
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Watched Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows and man did I enjoy it, really good film IMO, great follow up to the 1st and as you'd expect Rob at his best.
Rob and Jude's chemistry is a marvel to watch really.

The film just like the first had it's twists and turns and seeing how things unfold is great, maybe not the most elaborate film ever but enough to keep me on my toes and thinking.
Have to admit tho didn't catch even half the stuff that went on, inparticular Holmes Urban camo, caught out both times, I tell you Solid Snake has got nothing on old Holmes
Old 2012-04-21, 01:22   Link #975
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

The Hunger Games... and I must say, it was a terrible movie. There was absolutely nothing original about the concept. The acting was awful and emotional moments didn't convey any emotion at all. The action was mediocre at best.

The most horrible part was the ending, which was very disappointing, the whole idea of the movie was to project a twisted society full of aberrant people with a complete disconnection from reality and lack empathy, yet the ending does absolutely nothing to address these issues.

To top it all off there was all these unnecessary violence and killing of children, which didn't carry any weight over the main story.

In conclusion, the movie was brainless, and I can't honestly understand how it was so successful and receive so much media attention. Maybe this is a sign of the current state of our society.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2012-04-21 at 01:33.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 01:43   Link #976
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

has anyone watched a japanese film called confessions?pretty awesome stuff right there

here is a trailer for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnws8ZymxME
Old 2012-04-21, 04:43   Link #977
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolido17 View Post
has anyone watched a japanese film called confessions?pretty awesome stuff right there

here is a trailer for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnws8ZymxME
Yes, I watched it! Very intense stuff, and i enjoyed every moment of it. I can tell you one thing; almost all the characters are not mentally sound.

Old 2012-04-21, 09:44   Link #978
Haladflire65
*Artist

Thor, in preparation for The Avengers which is at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. I was having a happy evening so I was giggling at everything in the movie... I thought it was decent fun, but my favourite out of the Avengers heroes' movies is still Iron Man.

Next up in my to-watch list is probably Centurion with Michael Fassbender... I'm wanting to see some popcorn movies lately And then The Artist and Haywire, both of which I've been dying to see.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:43   Link #979
Rahan

Wrath of the Titans : Theseus and Bellerophon are not impressed. Been there, done that. (slaying the minotaur in the labyrinth or killing the chimera and riding Pegasus). I still wonder they was only one Titan and where the hell were the gods besides Zeus, Poseidon, Hades and Ares.
Overall, not better than clash. The 3D got upgraded from awful distraction to useless.

Titanic 3D : I had never seen it before. Surprisingly, I liked it a lot.

Sur la piste du Marsupilami : I didn't know much about the Marsupilami, except it has the same creator than Gaston Lagaffe one my favorite belgian comics. The movie was not that funny even if it had its good moments. Best part was the Lambert Wilson Celine Dion scene.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 17:43   Link #980
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I just watched King Aurthur with Clive Barker (he was in the movie, not sitting on the couch next to me). Although not entirely historically accurate, it wasn't bad. I liked how they didn't really focus on the magic of the Arthurian legends and focused more on the political climate of the time.

A couple things I didn't like, like why was there an important Roman living north of Hadrian's wall? Also, Guinevere fighting half dressed when everyone around is is dressed for the cold environment. ~shrugs~

Endless "There is no worse death than the end of hope. " Soul

Tags
live-action, movie, movies