AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-11, 09:40   Link #1
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

World of Tanks

World of Tanks Official Site

Anyone else playing this free MMO here? Currently in Open Beta, though it's slated to be released as a Free2Play within the next two months.

*goes back to farming for his M4A3E8 Sherman*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 10:39   Link #2
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*raises hand* Present! Love this game too, and so far anyone I've recommended it too does so as well. It's a fun little game, and with the matches being short fun to do in between breaks and such.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 11:16   Link #3
Gault
inc_mplete

Started playing today , got myself a PanzerKampfWagen 3 AUSF A
this tier 3+ is harder than having the Leichttracktor for the 1st time
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 19:45   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
though it's slated to be released as a Free2Play within the next two months.
Free2Play eh? Well I'll give this MMO a shot and download it and play a bit, but sounds quite interesting.
Old 2011-02-11, 19:48   Link #5
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I've seen a few articles about this in the past but never new it was now an open beta.

Might give it a go later.

Can you import custom skins to use online ? as I remember seeing some cool VC themed skins a while back <3

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 21:46   Link #6
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

No support for custom skins unfortunately, and understandably so given the sheer variety of tanks you can unlock.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2011-02-11, 21:59   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
No support for custom skins unfortunately, and understandably so given the sheer variety of tanks you can unlock.
You planning to make an ita-tank? With Horo and Miku and Kagami all over it?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 22:42   Link #8
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Played a good amount of battles (6 I think) and I must say, this game is quite enjoyable, but not fully engaging. But still quite interesting, but also a good place for leechers who can just sit in the base all day and leech off the victory experience.
Old 2011-02-12, 00:50   Link #9
Asuras
Dictadere~!

There a reason the oh-so lovely T90 has been left out? I'm guessing this is WWII and before?
Old 2011-02-12, 01:08   Link #10
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Yes, this game deals with WW2 era vehicles only, including experimental and prototype models never put into service. So if you want to see how a Maus would perform against other tanks... though getting a Maus would be an incredibly long grind

Old 2011-02-12, 13:44   Link #11
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Tried it out last night and its additively fun although pretty hard when your starting out with little baby tanks. X[

Quote:
Hmm theres a forum section dedicated to it on the official forums, no idea how to install them and what have you but check this out.

<3

Old 2011-02-12, 19:09   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Tried it out last night and its additively fun although pretty hard when your starting out with little baby tanks. X[
I know I keep getting slaughtered by BT-2 tanks
Old 2011-02-12, 19:56   Link #13
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I'm using the BT-2 at the minute and its a little better than the baby tanks you start with and as soon as you put the 40mm odd gun on it you can finally begin to pose real threat.

Still didn't stop me getting steamrolled by panzers and those allied mobile artillery tanks ALOT of people see to love @_@ but at least I was starting to tally some kills.

One thing thats been irritating me is theres alot of just plain old that goes on, where basically 3/4 of each team barely move from the spawn points and when they do its only to the closest bush...

Its gonna be a real grind until I get my lovely T-54 =<

Old 2011-02-12, 20:01   Link #14
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I'm using the BT-2 at the minute and its a little better than the baby tanks you start with and as soon as you put the 40mm odd gun on it you can finally begin to pose real threat.
I'm still trying to find out how I'm supposed to get more tanks based on the American tank upgrade system I researched the T2 Medium Tank (or that's what I think it was called) but it costs 750 (gold-like coins) to buy it. I only have 150 and have no idea how to get more... Maybe I should read the tutorials to find out.

Quote:
Still didn't stop me getting steamrolled by panzers and those allied mobile artillery tanks ALOT of people see to love @_@ but at least I was starting to tally some kills.
I actually got 2 kills atleast last game (with the baby tank) just hard getting used to the game when there are so many people with better tanks compared to yours and can simply steamroll you if you just face them head on, or if you especially get caught in a trap-like state.

Quote:
One thing thats been irritating me is theres alot of just plain old that goes on, where basically 3/4 of each team barely move from the spawn points and when they do its only to the closest bush...
I believe they are leechers in my opinion... Since you don't need to get kills in order to get rewards (although you will get a greater reward if you do get kills) it seems people are just taking that lazy way of doing things and just getting that small reward anyway without any attempt, but when the enemy tries to take the base from you. Then they will "attempt" to do something about it, mostly camping the base.
Old 2011-02-12, 20:09   Link #15
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I didnt notice there was like an auto aim function until I randomly discovered it in-game earlier, It would have made life a little easier at the start.

I done pretty well in the last game I had and in the first 5 minutes I'd racked up 3 kills when myself and a few other teammate full on blitzkrieged the enemies base but ended up being taken down by 2 tankbusters waiting in the bushes at the rear of their spawn which wasn't so bad since we had a good run and whittled the enemy down to about 4 units overall. What made it worse was that when I went into spectator mode and found the remaining tanks on my team where all hiding at base......in the bushes.

=E

Old 2011-02-12, 20:14   Link #16
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I didnt notice there was like an auto aim function until I randomly discovered it in-game earlier, It would have made life a little easier at the start.
Hold on a minute... There's an auto-aim function?

Quote:
I done pretty well in the last game I had and in the first 5 minutes I'd racked up 3 kills when myself and a few other teammate full on blitzkrieged the enemies base but ended up being taken down by 2 tankbusters waiting in the bushes at the rear of their spawn which wasn't so bad since we had a good run and whittled the enemy down to about 4 units overall. What made it worse was that when I went into spectator mode and found the remaining tanks on my team where all hiding at base......in the bushes.

=E
They all leechers have you tried typing to them and see if they will move in for the kill?
Old 2011-02-12, 20:41   Link #17
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Hah yeah if theres an enemy inside the round turret sight crosshair you right-click and the barrel auto-aims onto the enemy tank although it isnt always perfect and sometimes its just more effective to aim for particular sections of enemys tank like any external fuel tank or the turret itself.

Old 2011-02-12, 21:10   Link #18
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I believe they are leechers in my opinion... Since you don't need to get kills in order to get rewards (although you will get a greater reward if you do get kills) it seems people are just taking that lazy way of doing things and just getting that small reward anyway without any attempt, but when the enemy tries to take the base from you. Then they will "attempt" to do something about it, mostly camping the base.
Looks like you've had teams with a lot of artillery. Artillery has two massive advantages: They have huge range and deal tons of damage.

Their main disadvantage? They're also made out of cardboard. Even light tanks can one-shot an artillery.

Charging in with an arty is nothing short of suicide, so the best way for most players to fight with them is to stay back and shoot. When used properly this can be very effective, with the stronger and faster tanks charging in and the artillery providing support fire. I've seen this completely destroy camper teams. The downside is that if you have tanks with 3/4th artillery, a lot of them will be very hesitant to leave the base. Cardboard armor tends to invoke the coward in players.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 21:13   Link #19
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Looks like you've had teams with a lot of artillery. Artillery has two massive advantages: They have huge range and deal tons of damage.

Their main disadvantage? They're also made out of cardboard. Even light tanks can one-shot an artillery.
Ah, thank you very much Keroko for telling me this, but I personally moused over one of the tanks at my base camp and found it to be a T1 tank, so I can count him as a leecher. But I'll be more aware of how artillery players play atleast but one-shot by a light tank... That is pretty fragile indeed..
Old 2011-02-12, 21:25   Link #20
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I wouldn't say one hit per-say as from watching in spectator I seen a few of the mobile artillery types (mostly T57's) take a fair kicking so it probably just depends how far down the upgrade tree your SPG is.

From all the tanks I seen sitting in the base most where medium/light tanks with the actual artillery units either moving further back behind the base or into the corner of the map.

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks