AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-30, 16:02   Link #24421
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Actually, it's the newspaper lobby using the government to try and strongarm Google into giving them a slice of the pie.

Whether they're entitled to one is of course a matter of opinion.
So why don't they just make it a pay only site?
Old 2012-10-30, 16:18   Link #24422
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
*facepalm* Again, another government trying to control the Internet.
No.

Google is a monster in term of economy, it's based in Ireland but most of its profit are international, it pays no redevance to the countries where it gains (neither it pays to Ireland but it's their problem) and as such it deserves to be taxed as any tertiary sector. Control of internet has nothing to do with it, actually I'm surprised you could say this, how did you go from tax to control? I don't follow the logical link.

And yeah, they are searching for money, even beer get taxed hue hue hue.

On a side note, it's quite amazing so far the giant of the web weren't taxed (or barely), they provides service in countries, the moment they do they have to pay as if they were based in the country.

But the means it's done, ie by the newspaper lobby is bad and utterly stupid, they managed to transform a logical tax into a political issue. /clap clap clap./
Old 2012-10-30, 16:26   Link #24423
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
So why don't they just make it a pay only site?
Google makes money (or at last, attracts eyeballs, which for them comes to the same thing) by copying the contents of the newspapers, even if it's just first page stuff and the rest of the article is a members only area (which hardly ever happens).

The only way for the papers to stop Google would be to ask to be dereferenced. But I'm sure you can see the problem: no Google referencement, (almost) no visitors.

It's a symbiotic relationship, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily a fair one. (A lot like the relationship between farmers and supermarket chains, for example.)

And they may be looking to make it more symbiotic by pushing out the competition from smaller enterprises... (For example: Google does give them money, and maybe pride of place in search results, but the papers ask to be dereferenced from smaller search engines.)
Old 2012-10-30, 16:31   Link #24424
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Google makes money (or at last, attracts eyeballs, which for them comes to the same thing) by copying the contents of the newspapers, even if it's just first page stuff and the rest of the article is a members only area (which hardly ever happens).

The only way for the papers to stop Google would be to ask to be dereferenced. But I'm sure you can see the problem: no Google referencement, (almost) no visitors.
Correct, basically this is the French newspaper lobby trying to strong-arm their government and shooting themselves in the foot rather than adapting to a new technology paradigm. So it goes...
Old 2012-10-30, 16:33   Link #24425
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Correct, basically this is the French newspaper lobby trying to strong-arm their government and shooting themselves in the foot rather than adapting to a new technology paradigm. So it goes...
not just French, both Germany and Italy are in this as well.

Quote:
i don't think i have ever first the first page form google, usually just the first paragraph.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-10-30 at 16:45.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:42   Link #24426
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

By "first page", I mean public content to make people want to subscribe and read the rest. So, yes, on the internet, it means the first few paragraphs of an article.
Old 2012-10-31, 18:30   Link #24427
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Eurozone unemployment hits record high

Quote:
Unemployment in the eurozone hit a record high in September, with nearly 150,000 more jobs lost as the debt crisis
continues to undermine an economy slumping into recession, official data show.

The 17-state eurozone had a jobless rate of 11.6 per cent in September, up from 11.5 per cent in August, with the numbers out of work rising to 18.49 million from 18.34 million, the Eurostat data agency said on Wednesday.

The increase over the past year is well over two million.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...147471416.html

Old 2012-11-01, 05:49   Link #24428
sneaker

And that's just the overall combined unemployment rate. You don't want to take a look at the youth unemployment in Greece or Spain...
Old 2012-11-01, 08:28   Link #24429
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But what would Episode 7 be about? There are already quite literally dozens of novels of post-Endor into the 40 years+ bracket for the Skywalkers and Solos.
Lucas originally wrote treatments for nine episodes. The last three, I believe, feature a female protagonist who is one of Leia's offspring. Whether they will use these as the basis for episode seven, or write something new, only Disney knows.
Old 2012-11-01, 12:07   Link #24430
willx
Nyaaan~~

Sharp warns that it may not survive

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...forecast-japan

Looks like they're undergoing significant restructuring -- article points to sale-leaseback transactions, cost cutting and monetization of downstream assets as a condition for bank support -- still, seems like the cost structure and shifting consumer demands is making the company uncompetitive. Looks like the least competitive members of the "low-mid" consumer electronics space are starting to fall which will hopefully allow more efficient and lower cost producers to benefit with the commoditization of the space without unsustainable liquidation competition
Old 2012-11-01, 13:03   Link #24431
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Putin lays low, spokesman's reasons seem odd
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-01-13-36-59
Old 2012-11-01, 13:18   Link #24432
willx
Nyaaan~~

Might be time for me to evaluate my future..

Banking May Lose Its Allure for the Best and Brightest

As UBS announced plans to chop 10,000 staff this week, many traders reacted with shock. Little wonder: during the past three decades, it might have seemed inconceivable that any bank could slash its workforce so far, so fast.

The young(ish) traders who suddenly found themselves locked out of UBS this week built their careers in an era when finance seemed to keep inexorably growing; investment bankers were woven into the fabric of the modern economy, along with ultra-high levels of banking pay.

But viewed through a long lens of history — say 100 years —this week’s news does not seem so unusual. For while finance might have swelled in recent decades, it is often forgotten that in earlier periods it also shrank, to a startling degree.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49635044
Old 2012-11-01, 13:33   Link #24433
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Sharp warns that it may not survive

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...forecast-japan

Looks like they're undergoing significant restructuring -- article points to sale-leaseback transactions, cost cutting and monetization of downstream assets as a condition for bank support -- still, seems like the cost structure and shifting consumer demands is making the company uncompetitive. Looks like the least competitive members of the "low-mid" consumer electronics space are starting to fall which will hopefully allow more efficient and lower cost producers to benefit with the commoditization of the space without unsustainable liquidation competition
i can't remember the last time i saw a Sharp in a electronic store.

of course i can't even remember the last time i went into a electronic store.
Old 2012-11-01, 13:59   Link #24434
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i can't remember the last time i saw a Sharp in a electronic store.

of course i can't even remember the last time i went into a electronic store.
We have a Sharp hdtv and it can't die horribly soon enough (shitty tuner, hdmi cable has to be unplugged/replugged periodically). They used to be a "go to" but a google or two shows the quality has gone to shit over their product line. There there's Sony with all their "ip" and "region code" crippling. :P Just driving me over to the Koreans, guys. It isn't the cost, its what you *design*.
Old 2012-11-01, 14:32   Link #24435
GDB

Quote:
Just driving me over to the Koreans, guys. It isn't the cost, its what you *design*.
Is LG Korean? That's my TV of choice, and I really like the one I have.
Old 2012-11-01, 14:38   Link #24436
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

it strong Yen that caused japan company to fall. even if they sell more TV than korea counterpart. the profit the make for overseas market is significantly lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Is LG Korean?
yep,

Old 2012-11-01, 14:48   Link #24437
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
We have a Sharp hdtv and it can't die horribly soon enough (shitty tuner, hdmi cable has to be unplugged/replugged periodically). They used to be a "go to" but a google or two shows the quality has gone to shit over their product line. There there's Sony with all their "ip" and "region code" crippling. :P Just driving me over to the Koreans, guys. It isn't the cost, its what you *design*.
i remember goldstar, first Korean VCR we had. Ate the 3rd video tape we play.

now most of my stuff is Samsung.
Old 2012-11-01, 15:29   Link #24438
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
yep,
Then there ya go Vexx, a positive vote for a Korean TV.
Old 2012-11-01, 15:32   Link #24439
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

A mans brain is 11% bigger than a woman's on average.

Quote:
The behavioral differences between men and women have been well documented but researchers in Spain have attempted to find physical differences to help explain why men and women often don’t see eye to eye.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-...224014012.html

Old 2012-11-01, 15:32   Link #24440
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Right now, Samsung and LG are roaring across the market, both in terms of reliability and customer satisfaction.

edit: on the brain article, simple size comparison is misleading, you have to count neural clusters, which can be indirectly done by comparing the *surface area* (all those crinkles, ridges, and valleys). Not to mention the comparative complexity of certain internal structures. And ... wow, that was a really dumb article, probably produced by a really insecure guy

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international