AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-09, 19:02   Link #121
Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Maniac Send a message via AIM to Maniac Send a message via MSN to Maniac Send a message via Yahoo to Maniac
Asrialys: Those are the raws I have.

Sai, no sorry. I dislike hardsubs, nor am I interested in encoding them. Other groups have hardsubbed the Op/Ed if you want it. Nor will any karaoke I do be too fancy, my P4 3.0c handled the lamune op/ed karaoke I had fine, although my old P3 1.0 had trouble with it. (albeit those are xvid encodes, these will be x264 if I do them).

I'd prefer to use Koi's subs but since I can't get in contact with them I don't want to use them without permission.
Old 2007-02-10, 09:19   Link #122
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Hrm. Koi only really existed for the express purpose of subbing Air. They did mention that they had some thoughts of perhaps reforming in the misty future if something else they really wanted to do came up, but that otherwise Air was both their introduction and their swansong, as fans of the product. They did use to have the user name 'Koi' on these forums, but I can't see that they've bothered to reregister it after the Great Crash & Purge of '05, more's the pity. And I can't think of any other way whatsoever to contact them - that was the only time I ever saw them actually appearing in public at all.

Now, to some other random questions - you're planning on x264 if you do this; at what resolution will you be aiming for? The native of the raws you have (1024x576, which is interesting considering they should be 720p) or something smaller?

-Andiyar
Old 2007-02-11, 10:52   Link #123
Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Maniac Send a message via AIM to Maniac Send a message via MSN to Maniac Send a message via Yahoo to Maniac
I'll keep them 1024x576. I did find it odd that they were that res, but since air was upscaled for bluray I guess it really doesn't matter. I'm also going to mess around with encoding... I haven't really done any before... see if I can get all 12 eps + 2 summer eps to fit on one dvd. I actually may not have to do any... 4.45 GB with those 14 eps... and subtitles don't really add any size. My main concern is trying to get rid of that aliasing or whatever it is on still scenes.

This is what I'm talking about (look at yukito's hair, and a few of the other edges in the picture). It's not that bad but it's an annoyance.

Last edited by Maniac; 2007-02-11 at 11:06.
Old 2007-02-11, 17:48   Link #124
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Hm, yes, does look a bit aliased - how's it look during movement? In point of fact, that looks similar to the DVD raw of ep 1 I saw back in the day, and it aliases just a bit during motion as well. It's a pity - 'twould have been nice if Pony Canyon had either a) not sucked at their encode from the source or b) obtained a true hi-def version of Air from KyoAni and additionally not sucked at their encode.

Still, the background there looks cleaner than I remember the DVD looking. There's definitely that.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-02-12, 04:26   Link #125
Maniac

It seems fine during movement, at least nothing really noticeable.
Old 2007-02-12, 16:19   Link #126
rg4619

A bit OT, but how do the Air DVDs compare to the (re-encoded) recordings off BS-i?

From screen captures, it seems that the DVD images are sharper and more detailed, although there's noticeably more compression noise. On the whole, things don't look too bad to me (probably no worse than many of my R1 anime DVDs), although it's certainly a little disappointing given how beautifully animated the show is.
Old 2007-02-14, 02:10   Link #127
iLLuSionS

Please Help! (finding BluRay AIR)

hey guys, been around for so long... just wondering if anyone can do me a big favour!

I've been looking for Air BluRay Limited Edition for a long time, yet a lot of places do not ship to Canada or what not. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any places that sells them!

I've tried amazon.co.jp, they wouldnt ship me it, and then there was cdjapan.co, which they were outta stock! The only place that I know of that probably has it is PlayAsia... but then I don't really wanna buy from their like... 25% mark up price!

Please give me suggestions on what to do!
Old 2007-02-14, 09:27   Link #128
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLuSionS View Post
hey guys, been around for so long... just wondering if anyone can do me a big favour!

I've been looking for Air BluRay Limited Edition for a long time, yet a lot of places do not ship to Canada or what not. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any places that sells them!

I've tried amazon.co.jp, they wouldnt ship me it, and then there was cdjapan.co, which they were outta stock! The only place that I know of that probably has it is PlayAsia... but then I don't really wanna buy from their like... 25% mark up price!

Please give me suggestions on what to do!
Play-Asia might be your only hope. While yes, it's more expensive there than it was, the set is basically out of print now, which is why CDJapan doesn't have any stock. Amazon JP doesn't actually have any either, all they have is a couple of copies from other buyers who won't ship internationally. YesAsia never had any, and that's basically all the sites that would ship to you - so if you really want it you're basically left with Play-Asia or buying it through Amazon JP or Yahoo Japan auctions via a proxy service, both of which will set you back more than Play-Asia will judging by the price they all start at.

Damn Japan and its obsession with limited editions, eh? :/
Old 2007-02-14, 22:07   Link #129
iLLuSionS

aw darn, i really hope to get it from somewhere else cheaper... if only if i ordered it cheaper, amazon.co.jp had 30% off... from retail, it was like 230$ CND!
Old 2007-02-24, 02:34   Link #130
Minoto

I already have my copy, but was just looking on amazon.co.jp out of curiosity -- it looks like they have it back in stock, at a price of ¥23,840, which would be a little under $200 US before shipping.
Old 2007-02-24, 15:37   Link #131
iLLuSionS

omg! thanks thanks... gonna try ordering now! its good i havent decided to get from play asia yet... stupid company with their overpriced items
Old 2007-02-28, 21:02   Link #132
iLLuSionS

yay! just got my copy from the mail today ... i love it!!!! thanks a lot Minoto!

the box looks so amazingly nice!
Old 2007-03-18, 23:18   Link #133
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
I would have tried to procure this if I have the PS3. Too bad the console is not worth the purchase yet as of now.
Old 2007-03-20, 00:34   Link #134
kMisuzu
vehicularGao

Send a message via AIM to kMisuzu
I got my copy of the BD-Box back in December.
On a somewhat related note, I also have a laserdisc player. :3
(No Blu-Ray player yet, I sold my PS3!)

This summer Sony is releasing a new Blu-Ray player for $600. That should bring the first generation players to less than $500. The cheapest 1st generation player is currently $600 on Amazon (w/ discount), if you do not count the PS3.
Old 2007-05-10, 11:04   Link #135
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I have a 2 disc tv rip set of Air and the video is pretty good-the subs are pretty bad though-what I did was take the video and fansubs and do my own version of the series-guess it'll have to do until ADV releases it-I really doubt that the video quality will be any better, though.
Old 2007-05-11, 01:06   Link #136
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ zrdb

eBay I'm guessing? Welcome to the marvelous world of Hong Kong bootleg disks. As a matter of fact, I think I have the same disks somewhere around, a friend bought them for me as she knew I loved Air and didn't know they were bootlegs. The video... well, not really 'pretty good' to my eyes, and the subs were dreadful, but I did use the sub timing and redo them myself for entertainment's sake - was considering seeing if there was some way of transferring them to the blu-ray set, at one point.. until a week or so ago anyway!

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-12, 15:14   Link #137
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Yup-they're hkdvs-like I said the video was pretty good-subs were bad-then I found out about these R2 dvd fansub rips-video looks very nice, seems to be the case with a lot of fansubs lately with h.264 for the video codec-they look as good as the originial source material.
Old 2007-05-16, 16:17   Link #138
iLLuSionS

i also have the bootlegged version, BUT since in own the limited edition, i am allowed to make backups =D
mine was 1 cd.. and the subtitles werent bad
Old 2007-05-24, 14:49   Link #139
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

R2 dvds can be a royal pain in the tailpipe-the video is usualy better than most R1 releases-but no english subs and no dub!?!?!?! I got R2 dvds for the originial Dirty Pair tv series a year ago-the video was excellent-but subbing them was a nightmare-I finally finished all 26 episodes-converted them to h.264 with the originial ac3 soundtrack and uploaded them to the internet as fansubs-my homage to Kei and Yuri, the girls who got me into anime 12 years ago.
Old 2007-05-25, 03:16   Link #140
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Wait... you're complaining that R2 DVDs, authored specifically for the Japanese market and for sale only in the Japanese market, don't have English subtitles or language tracks? Forgive me as I say this, but that strikes me as rather stupid.

Japanese DVDs (ie, R2, and specifically anime) contain exactly what their target market desires - high quality video and audio, with often very attractive packaging, in both limited and normal editions. They are authored in Japan, pressed in Japan, and sold in Japan. Their target market are Japanese. Why on earth would they contain any semblance of Ango-Saxonification? They aren't available except by restricted import from their country of origin!

To make a corollary, it's like complaining that R1 DVDs from America - let's say TV show DVDs - are a pain, because they don't have an Arabic audio track or subtitle stream, despite the video quality being better than DVDs available in the U.A.E (if you were an Emirates citizen, of course). It is an incredibly irrelevant argument - you aren't the market, you never will be the market, ergo, they can't be expected to cater to you at all.

Yes, R2 disks often have better video quality - although in the case of Air, I"m betting it'll be the other way, thanks to the prowess of Pony Canyon. R2 disks often also have much more attractive packaging, and come with neat extras. But first and foremost - they're R2. Japan. Anyone outside of Japan has their own DVD region to buy from, with disks to cater to their market. What R2 do and don't include is, quite frankly, their own business - and with their pricing structure, even if they did include english substreams, I can't imagine they'd get much of a return.

Oh, and as an aside, I'm not a fan of the region scheme used by the DVD forum, nor of the similar scheme by the Blu-ray consortium. I buy R1, R2 and R4 disks (a benefit of region-free DVD players being legal here), and watch them all - but I'm also aware of the original market intentions of the producers of said disks.

Best,

-Andiyar