AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 21:58   Link #461
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
You have to set the script resolution to an even multiple of the actual video resolution, in both dimensions, or it'll probably do weird things. If you've already done that, I dunno what is up and I leave it to jfs to figure it out.
Ah. I was simply leaving it at the default 640x480 (although the actual resolution is 16:9). Perhaps that's where the problem arises (however in that case wouldn't it be off by a factor of 32/27?)

I thought the playres coordinates would be mapped virtually across the actual "real" coordinates and everything like margins and "pos" commands are with respect to the virtual coordinates.

I'd like it to work where I produce a subtitle file that works pretty much the same on resolution 704x400 as it does on 1920x1080, if possible.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 22:02   Link #462
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
I'm planning to take a closer look at it, and maybe make an improved version that handles multiple line-breaks, once I get my desktop PC up again. (PSU died today, grr.)
Oh yeah, another assumption I makes is that the characters are all of equal width (since I'm dealing with Japanese here)... That's why when I test which line is longer in a 2-row line, I just use:
if unicode.len(line1) > unicode.len(line2) then line.text = line1 else line.text = line2 end
I suppose you should really use the aegissub render test to compare actual line1.width and line2.widths...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2010-06-10, 06:20   Link #463
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I'd like it to work where I produce a subtitle file that works pretty much the same on resolution 704x400 as it does on 1920x1080, if possible.
It's just text metrics collection that fails when the script resolution is different from the video resolution. Once generated, a script will work the same on different resolutions (assuming there's no anamorphism involved).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 10:18   Link #464
jfs
Aegisub dev

Actually, since a few versions back, Auto4 has something very useful:
xres, yres, ar, artype = aegisub.video_size()
Actually I should make karaskel use that and report widths adjusted by the appropriate ratio...

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 11:04   Link #465
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Actually, since a few versions back, Auto4 has something very useful:
xres, yres, ar, artype = aegisub.video_size()
Actually I should make karaskel use that and report widths adjusted by the appropriate ratio...
So then, a correct formula would be:

line.margin_l = line.left+(1-yres/xres)*line.width/2

Thanks! I forgot that you could get absolute video sizes there.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2010-06-13, 12:17   Link #466
davide wilson

Wink help please

good by and thank you so much fo help !!!!!!

Last edited by davide wilson; 2010-06-15 at 08:09.
davide wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 14:52   Link #467
jfs
Aegisub dev

You're not telling what's actually going wrong, or what you did yourself to attempt fixing whatever it is.

Old 2010-06-14, 05:54   Link #468
davide wilson

Quote:
You're not telling what's actually going wrong, or what you did yourself to attempt fixing whatever it is.
I want you to correct me the position and mathrandom please and thanks
I'd like to do the same effect

Last edited by davide wilson; 2010-06-14 at 09:06.
davide wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 08:36   Link #469
DeathWolf

*cough*
I like to be in conformity with the impact of intelligence.
It great effort be towards others reading.
DeathWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 22:01   Link #470
Firminus

Learning

Ok my Friend sent me some code to play with since I wanted to learn. I have figured out pretty much everything except what makes my text jump to the bottom of the screen. I want it top center like when you use /an8...anyways here is the code (and yes I see the /an5 in the code but changing it did not move it to where I wanted it)
Also I did resample script resolution already.
Spoiler:
Firminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 23:03   Link #471
jfs
Aegisub dev

Probably your problem is that you haven't changed the style used to have the correct alignment. Use the Style Manager to change the style or styles you're using such that they have the alignment you want the text to be in.

Old 2010-06-22, 23:10   Link #472
Firminus

Oh well I feel stupid now >.<... Tyvm for the prompt respond
Firminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 16:33   Link #473
Jeroi

I am sorry to post this kind of response. But here is latest poor behaviour from Aegisub Staff member.

If you wonder why timing has gone bad in latest Aegisub, the reason is actually intentional. When you select start and end and grap times, your selected area dont move further anymore, but actuall highlights next rows start and end.

This means that when you are timing at 0.46.40:36 and your next line is not timed line starting from 0.00.05:00 it means that PlaySelected play from this time rather than start playback from last timed end time that it behaved previously.

Here is log from jfs behaviour when I asked about this as I have been closely involved bug reporting in past which made aegisub the win timing program:

Quote:
[23:39] <Jeroi> hello
[23:39] <Jeroi> I wonder what is happened to aegisub timing
[23:39] <Jeroi> is it broken atm?
[23:40] <Jeroi> latest release, when you graptimings on audio view it graps times and moves to next row but then automatically changes that lines start and end values to audio
[23:41] <Jeroi> if that lines start time is in 0.00:05:00
[23:41] <Jeroi> then when you try to continue with playselected the S letter
[23:41] <Jeroi> it start to play from there
[23:42] <Jeroi> when timing did work properly, aegisub moved start and end marker so that start maker did go to end marker and move end marker further like 5 seconds
[23:42] <Jeroi> so youcould easilly contiue timing
[23:42] <jfs> that's intentional and not changing. if your subtitles are already timed, meaning not zero-timed, then you're modifying the existing timing and therefore that existing timing is grabbed when moving to a line. it's intentional.
[23:43] <Jeroi> but that makes timing from 0 times horrible
[23:43] <Jeroi> or default line timing when you transalte
[23:43] <jfs> ctrl+a, enter zeroes in start field, zeroes in end field, press enter
[23:44] <Jeroi> could youexplainwhy it was intentional?
[23:44] <jfs> I just did
[23:44] <Jeroi> shallI need to revert back to wichaegisub build?
[23:44] <Jeroi> and not going to supprt latest if timing is like this
[23:45] <Jeroi> once it was finetuned to perfection and now it is like 1.10 again
[23:45] <Jeroi> is this really your intention?
[23:45] <jfs> actually it seems there is a "grab times from line upon selection" option
[23:46] <jfs> but yes, IT IS INTENTIONAL that selecting a line that is already timed (meaning not zero-timed) grabs times from it
[23:46] <jfs> what else should happen?
[23:46] <jfs> anything else would be inconsistent
[23:47] <Jeroi> well the atlest provide timing button to audioview
[23:47] <jfs> no, fuck off
[23:47] <Jeroi> where not selecting start and end from next line
[23:47] <jfs> you're on ignore now
[23:50] <jfs> actually one more thing, and the primary reason the behaviour is sensible: pushing commit multiple times in a row, with "next line on commit" enabled, on an already timed script, should not change the existing timing.
[23:50] <Jeroi> yes
[23:50] <Jeroi> I did understand this
[23:51] <Jeroi> but this why I asked button to turn it of
[23:51] <Jeroi> or shall I need to telle to 10 people how to change their aegisub settings so default timing value for transaltion is 0.0:0:0
[23:52] <Jeroi> atm aegisub makes 5sec timing for default
Also I tested timing with 0.00.00:0;0.00.00:00 lines like jfs told it would work, but no, it dont work. It plays generates default times for next line and star playbackfrom the newly generated timings rather than from last timed END marker.

I dont know why they continue to have this kind of changes without testing the changes. If this feature is fully implemented, it means that you must after translation then add 0.00.00:00 times to all lines before passing to timer, or timer needs to do this new step that did not happen with previous versions. In my opinion it just made 1 new step to fansub process, wihtout helping much.

jfs stated that priamrly reason for this is for the quality checker.

But wait. Lets view my team chain:

1a. Translation
1b. Karaoke translation
2a. Timing
2b. Karaoke timing
3. Proofreading
4. Typesetting
5. Last quality check
6. Encoding

This means that this latest intentional feature makes 2 steps addtional to chain, adding zero values in both transaltion and karaoke translation. where it helps for rest staff remaining at chain.

Like I suggested in that irc log, then atleast provide switch to turn back the old timing method for timers. This dosent make jfs convinced.

It seams that jfs dont know how to use undo if he graps too many times in a row.

But atm I am going to revert back to older version. as the audio timing just dont work atm and is sucky suck suck bye bye my 28minute timing records on 24min episode.

Last edited by Jeroi; 2010-06-29 at 16:47.
Jeroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 17:41   Link #474
jfs
Aegisub dev

Point one:
If you open a .txt file (plain text), you get zero timing all over.
The couple of times I've translated anime I found it preferable to anything else to view the episode in a regular media player and type the translation into Notepad.
Aegisub will get a "translation mode" some day that will bring that part of subtitling into it, but for now making a separate text file is much more comfortable, also for the translator.

Point two:
Even if you for whatever reason prefer to enter the translation directly in Aegisub, it's extremely easy to change all timing to zero-timing. There are even two, equally easy, ways.
A) Select all lines, click in the Start Time field and type 0000000, press tab to move to End Time and type 0000000 there as well, then press enter. All lines are now zero-timed.
B) Use Shift Times to shift the entire script backwards by one hour or some such, that will reset all times to 0 because they can't be negative.

Old 2010-06-29, 17:50   Link #475
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroi View Post
But atm I am going to revert back to older version. as the audio timing just dont work atm and is sucky suck suck bye bye my 28minute timing records on 24min episode.
28 minutes for a 24 minute episode is pretty shitty, bro
if you still can't do it in realtime after all these years of hurfing and blurfing and filing incomprehensible bug reports (I don't even understand what you're complaining about in your post) you should probably not be timing
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2010-06-29, 18:03   Link #476
jfs
Aegisub dev

You know, actually, if it's too hard to clear times using the existing UI, here's an Automation macro I wrote in two minutes that does it.

Code:
script_name = "Clear timing"

function clear_timing_macro(subs, sel, active)
	for sel_i, line_i in pairs(sel) do
		local line = subs[line_i]
		line.start_time = 0
		line.end_time = 0
		subs[line_i] = line
	end
	aegisub.set_undo_point("clear timing")
	return sel
end

aegisub.register_macro("Clear timing", "Sets the start and end times of all selected lines to zero", clear_timing_macro)
(Hint: You can create an automation\autoload\ folder under the %appdata%\Aegisub\ folder in your user profile and put scripts there.)

Old 2010-06-30, 07:42   Link #477
Jeroi

Well whats the point to add zeros? I tdont work. If timing line, after grap times, aegisub generates weard start and end timings for next line and starts to play the line from those times. It's broken. And tbh, Ithink that undo is very easy if you happen to misstime one line by pressing grap times too many times. You can hit undo the same amount. And even tho I do qulity chekcing and encoding and timings finetuning and sometimes time from scratch when needed, I have never seen such problems that this new feature so called makes life easier. The stupid side effect is that now you efectively made timing with aeguisub broken without additional steps (if it will work anyway).

Well after all one does it some way one other way. IMO transalitn with aegisub is better, as sometimes you can translati at live speed with it. Also you can add timings for screen captions on the way. If Aegisub is going to use this in future, then you need to set aegisub default times to zeros. If your program adds 5sec timings for each transalted lines, timing is then broken without additional steps to produce.
Old 2010-06-30, 08:28   Link #478
Jeroi

Quote:
You know, actually, if it's too hard to clear times using the existing UI, here's an Automation macro I wrote in two minutes that does it.

Code:
script_name = "Clear timing"

function clear_timing_macro(subs, sel, active)
	for sel_i, line_i in pairs(sel) do
		local line = subs[line_i]
		line.start_time = 0
		line.end_time = 0
		subs[line_i] = line
	end
	aegisub.set_undo_point("clear timing")
	return sel
end

aegisub.register_macro("Clear timing", "Sets the start and end times of all selected lines to zero", clear_timing_macro)
(Hint: You can create an automation\autoload\ folder under the %appdata%\Aegisub\ folder in your user profile and put scripts there.)
Do need to tell how funny that post is? Most how many coders in fansub scene there is? Most people ask help just with karaoke making, where all your suggestions is leading them to coder. Thats typical coders view how easy life is, but for newbie what I think always, goes nuts when timining is in this current situation. I prefer to give older aegisub at this time so I make sure that timing works like it should and not giving any head aches for them. All my tutorials made how to time uses older system and now if I give this new aegisub to somebody, my tutorial tells easy way and they have problems right away.

The psotivie side would be, when you do make timing harder, fansub goes back to SSA time, where timer needed to learn yourself all the mono audio things and quick keys and advanced features of it. It used to take a lot time to learn, but with past versions of aegisub, timing has been so pleasent and easy to learn for newbie and just to boost that with video tutorial (how ever my speed is too fast in those for beginner) they have confident from the start. How ever, when there is needed more learnig because program makes it harder, it always makes my kind of enthusiast to come to scene, as more harder, more motivated people come.

Yet tho, I prefer easier, because I dont need any new haslle for recruiting members and teaching them.

Last edited by Jeroi; 2010-06-30 at 08:40.
Old 2010-06-30, 08:59   Link #479
TheFluff

Quote:
I tdont work.
yes it does

Quote:
If timing line, after grap times, aegisub generates weard start and end timings for next line and starts to play the line from those times.
no it doesn't
(what the hell does "weard start and end timings" mean anyway)

If this actually doesn't work like it's supposed to then FILE A FUCKING BUG REPORT WITH A PROPER TEST CASE instead of hurfing durf on a forum.

Quote:
It's broken.
No it isn't, it's by design and it makes perfect sense. If you have timing data already Aegisub assumes that it's there for a reason and doesn't overwrite it randomly like it used to in the past. If you don't have any timing data (i.e. start and end time both set to zero), it will behave exactly like it did in the past by generating timings for you.

edit: I dunno why you're starting to complain about this now either, it's been like this for almost a year or something now

Last edited by TheFluff; 2010-06-30 at 17:33.
Old 2010-06-30, 12:00   Link #480
TGEN
Far out, man!
*Fansubber

It's open-source, so you can just look at the project's source code history, see where it changed the default behaviour, and revert that, then recompile. It's a doosie!
TGEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aegisub, help thread