AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-01-16, 05:02   Link #1121
tsunade666

it looks like the shield only blocks the attack towards the is pilot. Like beam and missile. Though I'm not sure. It's just that even if Ichika's yukihira 2 has the ability to nulify shield. When his striking Cecilia. He didn't cut through the shield. It's like it's not their to begin with. When his striking.
Old 2011-01-16, 05:43   Link #1122
ZeKeR
Superbad

so okay...
ichika has:
>a berserker type configuration for the IS (sacrifice shields in order to charge the weapon to 200%, get close for maximum effect)
>high agility makes up for melee class (i dunno if he has a ranged weapon). dun tell me his 1st shift blade counts as ranged melee
Old 2011-01-16, 06:28   Link #1123
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I don't remember seeing him with anything but melee weapon.
Old 2011-01-16, 09:33   Link #1124
Tano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
um, literal translations again, huh?
there is really not that much of a difference between the two words, actually. Since they're mostly interchangeable.
Only thing is, "grosso" usually refers to something "thick", "bulky", "fat"... maybe, that's the reason I saw it written as "grasso" (direct italian equivalent for "fat") in a certain sub.
Whilst "grande" usually refers to something that's above the ordinary, like "great" or "important".

Just wanna avoid the spread of mis-information.
you are absolutely right. "mondo grosso" can just mean "big world", or at least "bulky world", since "fat" is "grasso", "thick" is "largo" or "spesso", and "great" is "grande".

the italian vocabulary is way too wide. if i want to say "great" i have no need to use "grosso" as synonym, because i already have a word ("grande") that means "great" (and is a lot more common). it would feel very innatural for me to say "mondo grosso" if i mean "important world" (just to be clear, i'm italian)... and also it wouldn't make any sense as a tournament name imho.
"grande" can mean "great", "big" or "important", but "grosso" in this case can just mean "big", since i think that the world can't be defined "thick".

maybe "bulky" can be acceptable, since "mondo massiccio" (literal for "bulky") would be way too hilarious, and since an IS is actually bulky.

not so important. i just wanted to point it out.

Last edited by Tano; 2011-01-16 at 10:51.
Tano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 14:46   Link #1125
Dahak86
Classics never age

Oh, a fellow italian comrade. Thanks for helping me clarifying things.
Yeah, "grosso" in this case is surely intended to mean "big", "great", "important".
Dunno why the author(?) chose it instead of "grande" or similars... maybe it just sounds "cool" to a non-italian speaker.

Anyway, I'm still laughing at the people who subbed it as "Mondo Grasso". I mean, c'mon "Fat World"? really?
Old 2011-01-16, 14:51   Link #1126
Asuras
Dictadere~!

In some ways, Ichika's loss can be considered good. If he actually hit Cecilia, than wouldn't the sword actually cut through her shield and directly harm her? If i remember correctly, his sister said the weapon ignores shields, right?
Old 2011-01-16, 15:03   Link #1127
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
In some ways, Ichika's loss can be considered good. If he actually hit Cecilia, than wouldn't the sword actually cut through her shield and directly harm her? If i remember correctly, his sister said the weapon ignores shields, right?
It was explained in the episode it goes through the normal shield but IS also have an absolute shield which would activate in those situations to protect the pilot from any kind of damage. Basically his sword forces an IS to lock itself down.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 15:17   Link #1128
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
so okay...
ichika has:
>a berserker type configuration for the IS (sacrifice shields in order to charge the weapon to 200%, get close for maximum effect)
>high agility makes up for melee class (i dunno if he has a ranged weapon). dun tell me his 1st shift blade counts as ranged melee
Probably the IS type determines which weapons can be installed in the frame (Cecilia's Blue Tears is limited to long range, Ichika's excels at close range, Rinin has both kinds of weapons and so on)
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 15:49   Link #1129
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Ultimate View Post
And maybe because I used a better picture, because the pic was Way to small I made a bigger screencap which is much clearer. (720P res.)
As I said, I've checked back with the new, bigger map now and made some map shots
I've used Marble set to Mercator projection, which is also used in the IS map.

Spoiler for map shots:

Quote:
um, literal translations again, huh?
there is really not that much of a difference between the two words, actually. Since they're mostly interchangeable.
They're often interchangeable, but I wouldn't say mostly.

Quote:
Only thing is, "grosso" usually refers to something "thick", "bulky", "fat"...
Not really
"thick" is "largo", "fat" is "grasso" and "bulky" is "massiccio" or "tozzo".
See Zingarelli definition for "grosso" below.

Quote:
maybe, that's the reason I saw it written as "grasso" (direct italian equivalent for "fat") in a certain sub.
"grosso" and "grasso" are quite different, actually. Either they just mistyped it (although with 'a' and 'o' at opposite sides of the keyboard, it's not very likely), or their linguistic skills aren't that great

Quote:
Whilst "grande" usually refers to something that's above the ordinary, like "great" or "important".
At least that I can agree to.

Quote:
Just wanna avoid the spread of mis-information.
Then don't do it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
"mondo grosso" can just mean "big world", or at least "bulky world", since "fat" is "grasso", "thick" is "largo" or "spesso", and "great" is "grande".
"big" doesn't fit well, "bulky" even less so
See Zingarelli definition below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
the italian vocabulary is way too wide. if i want to say "great" i have no need to use "grosso" as synonym, because i already have a word ("grande") that means "great" (and is a lot more common). it would feel very innatural for me to say "mondo grosso" if i mean "important world" (just to be clear, i'm italian)
Aren't we all?
Since we can't quite agree on the meaning, let's consult an authoritative source, the Zingarelli (edizione 2008):

grosso 1. Che supera la misura ordinaria per massa, per volume.
(Beyond the ordinary in mass, in volume.)
2. Di notevole entità, rilevanza, consistenza.
(Of noteworthy importance, relevance, consistencency.

Just as I said, plainly "big" would be poorly fitting there, as it's neither beyond the ordinary nor of noteworthy importance or relevance.
"great" would be a much better translation. (Yes, it does overlap a bit with the meaning for "grande".)
Old 2011-01-16, 18:37   Link #1130
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Oh hey, IS has a subforum! Congrats.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 18:38   Link #1131
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
As I said, I've checked back with the new, bigger map now and made some map shots
I've used Marble set to Mercator projection, which is also used in the IS map.

Spoiler for map shots:

They're often interchangeable, but I wouldn't say mostly.

Not really
"thick" is "largo", "fat" is "grasso" and "bulky" is "massiccio" or "tozzo".
See Zingarelli definition for "grosso" below.

"grosso" and "grasso" are quite different, actually. Either they just mistyped it (although with 'a' and 'o' at opposite sides of the keyboard, it's not very likely), or their linguistic skills aren't that great

At least that I can agree to.

Then don't do it yourself

"big" doesn't fit well, "bulky" even less so
See Zingarelli definition below.

Aren't we all?
Since we can't quite agree on the meaning, let's consult an authoritative source, the Zingarelli (edizione 2008):

grosso 1. Che supera la misura ordinaria per massa, per volume.
(Beyond the ordinary in mass, in volume.)
2. Di notevole entità, rilevanza, consistenza.
(Of noteworthy importance, relevance, consistencency.

Just as I said, plainly "big" would be poorly fitting there, as it's neither beyond the ordinary nor of noteworthy importance or relevance.
"great" would be a much better translation. (Yes, it does overlap a bit with the meaning for "grande".)
Impressive, i bet those watching in those countries are going High-Five and saying "Alright! We got an IS! In your face (insert country that did not get an IS) losers!

Also, IS already has it's own sub-forum. Congratulations!
Old 2011-01-16, 19:06   Link #1132
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

If you checked the sub forums, you would have realized there are already 2 threads for Episode 1 and 2.
Much like other sub forums, there will be a thread for the current Episode...
Old 2011-01-16, 19:53   Link #1133
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I'm surprised a sub forum was created. Whats the requirements to get one anyway?
SoFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 20:54   Link #1134
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Who knows? =P 50+ pages?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 21:57   Link #1135
ZeKeR
Superbad

so exactly HOW MANY girls are into him besides the known males? is this a nagasarete airantou effect? or just the class?
Old 2011-01-16, 23:36   Link #1136
dark998

Yay, a sub forum.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 23:39   Link #1137
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
so exactly HOW MANY girls are into him besides the known males? is this a nagasarete airantou effect? or just the class?
He is the only one, so it's natural that the'd be interested in him. It's probably all superficial and all, good thing for Houki... so far...
Old 2011-01-16, 23:44   Link #1138
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
He is the only one, so it's natural that the'd be interested in him. It's probably all superficial and all, good thing for Houki... so far...
Looks like Houki will soon only more one in Ichika's harem, compared to the only one in the firsts episodes.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 23:47   Link #1139
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
Looks like Houki will soon only more one in Ichika's harem, compared to the only one in the firsts episodes.
I can't wait to see all of her reactions. I might just hhnngghh myself to death.
Old 2011-01-16, 23:48   Link #1140
Belgaesh

It's a shame that there will be only 12 episodes, I hope for a second season.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist