AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 49
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 5 6.58%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 6 7.89%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 5 6.58%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 13.16%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 15.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 9 11.84%
4 out of 10: Poor... 8 10.53%
3 out of 10: Bad... 4 5.26%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 6 7.89%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-24, 11:05   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post
this ending makes no fucking sense the only thing i can compare to was the original Mass Effect 3 ending
And people complained about seed destiny ending, this is way worse
I would disagree. Destiny's finale was very similar in that it featured a character stepping up to be the villain out of nowhere, but it's final episode was even more rushed and full of battles of dubious consequence and intrigue. You had Athrun very quickly defeating Shin and Kira doing the same to Rey both using stock footage and Kira just fires this volley of missiles at a space fortress several 100 times the size of his own unit which somehow causes it to start sinking and crash into the moon. The captain of the ship goes to the main villain of the show and sacrifices herself with him for no good or even logical reason while the sole closure Shinn gets is to cry together with his I guess girlfriend on the moon never really having come to any realization about why he was a fool. At least the Asunos got some closure out of this one.

Also at least this episode has a character at long last coming to a realization about who he really wants to be. Yeah it's basically him realizing that he should stop being an asshole and just be a decent person when he has defenseless people at his mercy, but it's something that Shinn never really accomplished if you want to make a comparison. So while not a good finale I'd definitely say it's a lot better than Seed Destiny's at least.

And really I think this idea that AGE is "worse than Destiny" has to be recency bias and the Gundam Cycle at work and not to mention people just not remembering how nonsensical the narrative was by the time it ended. AGE has quite a few things that don't add up (Ezelcants plan, Kio's stubborn refusal to fight under any circumstances even when it means his comrades will end up dying, Zera Grins existence, Fram's sacrifice, ), but many that do (Zehearts foolish end, Flit becoming a savior, Kio finally using the full potential of the Gundam FX) than don't in my estimation whereas Destiny was the king of time wasting, clip shows, stock footage and just general boredom for the last 3 quarters of it's run and I literally felt nothing watching it's finale, whereas at least this episode had a good scene for Flit that made the first half work well enough. Destiny episode 50 is almost inconceivable to top in terms of poor production and writing for a finale. To me the original Seed is a better comparison as to the quality of AGE. Lot of copying old storylines, some bizarre character interactions and purposes some of which could be solved easily through better decision making and dialogue, but otherwise enough to like to at least make the watch feel worth it in the end even with all the ups and downs. I'd never rewatch either, but I don't regret watching either like I did Destiny.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 11:05   Link #102
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Well, The Baranoke is a Diva-class ship with a huge red sail, so honestly the controls should eb the same, the layout was similar. The hijacking part bothered me though. But that's the least of my worries in this episode.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 11:06   Link #103
larethian

Even so, I would expect that the ship had been heavily customized and cannot be effective utilized (even if it can be piloted by any crew) in combat.
Just having a difference in parameter sets and weaponry can change the set of tactics available, and a captain who knows jack shit about the details can't do squat.
Of course the controls could be similar or if not, computer-assisted. But piloting is different from effective utilization in combat.

EDIT: and regarding the hijacking, they can't do anything about it if Nacchan says it's Asem's request. though I find it weird that Asem didn't tell the crew about it.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 11:16   Link #104
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
even so, I would expect that the ship had been heavily customized and cannot be effective utilized (even if it can be piloted by any crew) in combat.
Well, honestly the Baranoke didn't differ much from the diva except the cosmetics.

... AND THE FILTHY PIRATE DIRT, ARRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And really I think this idea that AGE is "worse than Destiny" has to be recency bias and the Gundam Cycle at work and not to mention people just not remembering how nonsensical the narrative was by the time it ended.
Honestly, as bad as Destiny is, it showed both sides and civilians getting blown up and what all sides where fighting for, even if the destiny plan was an asspull in the end, atleast we had different fractions (who made sense, to some degree)

Quote:
AGE has quite a few things that don't add up (Ezelcants plan, Kio's stubborn refusal to fight under any circumstances even when it means his comrades will end up dying, Zera Grins existence, Fram's sacrifice, ), but many that do (Zehearts foolish end, Flit becoming a savior, Kio finally using the full potential of the Gundam FX) than don't in my estimation whereas Destiny was the king of time wasting, clip shows, stock footage and just general boredom for the last 3 quarters of it's run and I literally felt nothing watching it's finale
Agreed, to some extent, atleast Destiny's ending tied up most of the plot, even if it was in a flawless victory manner, compared to this episode i'd say Destiny had a better final episode.

Quote:
To me the original Seed is a better comparison as to the quality of AGE. Lot of copying old storylines, some bizarre character interactions and purposes some of which could be solved easily through better decision making and dialogue
No, SEED had the upper hand in both storytelling and a perfectly fine final arc, Loose ends where tied up with Kira even having some final character development even if Rau was right in the end, where Kio just had a annoying smile on his face because he finally managed to save the soul-less human clone made for fighting, we didn't get any resolution regarding that, the Vagan civilians or anything after that.

Minus the fact that they cured the Mars-ray cancer.
Old 2012-09-24, 11:21   Link #105
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Well, honestly the Baranoke didn't differ much from the diva except the cosmetics.
A pirate ship not customized in its weaponry and mobility specs makes even less sense to me. And I don't see how that (meaning it being the same as Diva) can be so given that it has Vegan technology, unless you are telling me you have the internal specs of Baranoke and made your conclusions from there

Though I agree it's of little importance compared to other things but since no one talked that much about it, I kind of just rambled on a little.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 11:24   Link #106
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The ship didn't seem to be terribly specialized beyond the Invisible Umbrella system. That said, as pirates they wouldn't be experienced in large-scale battles. Natora, for all her ups and downs as captain, does have that experience, as does her crew. They could've mentioned it as such, but to me it makes sense that she'd take over so that the Baronche, which as we should remember has her people in it, whom she feels responsible for, has better odds of survival in the final battle.
Old 2012-09-24, 12:04   Link #107
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

I thought the ending was a very reasonable conclusion to it, might actually be one of the most reasonable and realistic conclusion to war in recent Gundam - all the pro-war Vagans and the Zeheart whom is the leader were all dead, Ezelcant is so sick he won't be able to lead anymore, the canon attached to Second Moon was going to blow and bring Second Moon and millions of civilians along with it, in that situation just like Flit said even if he didn't do anything the Vagans would still die. Given that Flit, as the top commander of the Federation forces (ie he actually has some authority and say in all of this, unlike most Gundam protagonists whom by all reasonable accounts are just mere soldiers following orders) had shown that he was not going to take advantage of the situation by firing the plasma dive missile into space and show the Vagans he wasn't going to kill them despite having the very power to do so and instead will offer the helping hand, it should be all the reason a relatively sane person would need to take such an offer, and yes the Vagans did take it. The flow to reach such a conclusion is actually very logical and makes plenty of sense. If you take just this bit alone there's actually no magical "kill some final boss and it's good" feel to it which is actually quite commendable for a mecha anime.

In light of all of that they really didn't even need Sid and Vagan Gear to play that mgaical final boss, it actually ruined the conclusion and took away valuable time to maybe flush out some scenes better (they could've made some scene to show the urgency of cutting off Second Moon from the canon structure by showing some explosions affecting Second Moon and its civilians for example, just to make it so the Vagans really are backed into a corner and drive home to Flit that there are innocent civis at hand), except I think they just want to prove that Kio is still right in his no-kill policy and therefore must let him exercise it just one last time.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 12:58   Link #108
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And really I think this idea that AGE is "worse than Destiny" has to be recency bias and the Gundam Cycle at work and not to mention people just not remembering how nonsensical the narrative was by the time it ended.
I don’t think it’s bias at all. Destiny as an ovearal series is better than AGE (and I don’t even like Destiny).

Story:
Destiny's story/plot is better than AGE coz (at least) for the first half or 2/3 of the series, it’s all well-developed (characters, events & action) and still within the realm of logic. It didn’t turn silly as quickly as AGE. One example from gen 1 is: how can a ragtag group of mobile suits from the quarreling colony factions which (in the early episodes) can barely scratch a single Gafran (the weakest of Vagan grunt MSs) can put up a fight (let alone win) in the battle against a horde of Gafrans, Baqtos, Zedas, and a Vagan’s advanced (at the time) battleship? Surely AGE-1 & G-Exes alone won’t be able to make a difference in that massive battle (forgot the name of the battle). And that’s just one silliness that happened earlier in Gen 1 of the series. There’s a lot more as episodes gone by.

Action:
This is where AGE is on-par with Destiny or even excels. Destiny’s drawback is (as everybody already knows) there’s a continent of stock-footage. Still, the action itself is very good. It’s stylish, fast, and has great fight-choreography overall. AGE’s action mainly prevail in the “minimal stock footage” department which I very much appreciate it. Still, the overall action in Gen 1 is what I call as uninspired. It’s very slow and badly choreographed. Then AGE improve itself greatly in Gen 2 and Gen 3 where the action is plenty, fast, and nicely choreographed too.

OST (BGM & songs):
I know that this pretty much depends on taste, but I find myself enjoying almost every single BGM in Destiny. The score is great and memorable. The songs (OP, ED, insert) are no different. It’s one of the best in Gundam franchise. As for AGE, the BGM is forgettable (I can’t remember even a single one of the BGMs) and the only songs I enjoy out of the series are only 3 (the 1st OP, the 1st & 2nd ED). If you find this as only one man’s preference, you can compare the sales for Destiny’s OST and AGE’s OST yourselves. At least commercial success can speak for itself.

Characters:
Overall, Destiny’s characters has more “oomph” compared to the blandness of AGE’s characters. Even if some of them didn’t well-developed, most of them are consistent almost throughout the entire series (minus the final episode where almost everyone do some really questionable action). Also, most of Destiny’s charas are enjoyable to watch when they’re doing their thing compared to AGE’s. Even Shinn’s character who turned into a whiny villain for the last 1/3 of the series is not as useless and as annoying as Kio, for example. You might also want to argue that Heine Westenfluss in Destiny is the equal of Girard Spriggan in AGE. Still, Heine is meant to be a “guess star” character and he didn’t take (waste) that much valuable screen-time compared to Girard and her backstory. In short, most of the characters in Destiny serve actual purposes and treated better compared to AGE's charas.

Character artwork:
Another taste-based point. But at least here, I will say that Destiny’s characters have more complex traits compared to the simple portrayal of characters in AGE. Fair enough, right?

So, according to my opinion above, Destiny scores 4/5 points while AGE only score 1/5. That one score from AGE comes from its action which, if you compare the time they’re made, AGE hardly wins over Destiny.

Once again, all this comes from me who really really don’t like (if not outright hate) Destiny as an overall series. So, no, I’m not really biased. Most of the elements in Destiny is indeed better than AGE.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2012-09-24 at 13:13.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 13:02   Link #109
arkxkra
全力全開

a very fast turn event for this episode, everything was skip so fast make me like huh!? especially on the SID appear, dunno what happen the next thing it hijack the Gear but end up other way around? And first time to see final boss appear so late, finish off so fast... a record maybe.

The battle between the 3 gundam vs Gear was not bad though.

and so Wendy end up with who ?

able to see Yurin one last time , in the end more like Yurin save the day, since she convinced Flit xD

Overall was not bad but not great, I quite like this series, just skip too many thing wasted a lot of potential, maybe due to the earlier bad negative feedback, and end up shorten the series, rewrite? end up become almost nothing..
Old 2012-09-24, 13:07   Link #110
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

AGE for me, had the least convincing (if not also the funniest looking) villain ever presented in a Gundam series. I cannot be convinced of their reasons for fighting after the prime villain was introduced and his reasons stated. I found it quite laughable. Unfortunately, crazy is what the Federation had to deal with, so they had to put up with the foolishness.

And poor Flit. He cannot forget Yurin even after so many decades.

Ok, Vagans have some pretty nifty uniforms based on 19th century Meiji-Era style, but thats one small originality and pretty much the only thing it has going.

Overall? I wouldn't say this series is poor. Asemu and Kio had some stylish machines, and Kio utilize his funnels quite creatively. The action is fast paced, and the plot isn't boring. But the characters weren't the most interesting bunch, and I am affronted by the way female characters are treated in the series.

Not to mention the last episode being a very rushed advancement of plot that gave absolutely no time for deeper development. Its a shame.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 13:42   Link #111
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post

In light of all of that they really didn't even need Sid and Vagan Gear to play that mgaical final boss, it actually ruined the conclusion and took away valuable time to maybe flush out some scenes better (they could've made some scene to show the urgency of cutting off Second Moon from the canon structure by showing some explosions affecting Second Moon and its civilians for example, just to make it so the Vagans really are backed into a corner and drive home to Flit that there are innocent civis at hand), except I think they just want to prove that Kio is still right in his no-kill policy and therefore must let him exercise it just one last time.
So I'm guessing nobody here knows even why SID decided to go in and merge with the Vagan Gear?

It's almost like the writers forgot about it so they decided to just throw him in there.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 13:45   Link #112
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don’t think it’s bias at all. Destiny as an ovearal series is better than AGE (and I don’t even like Destiny).

Story:
Destiny's story/plot is better than AGE coz (at least) for the first half or 2/3 of the series, it’s all well-developed (characters, events & action) and still within the realm of logic. It didn’t turn silly as quickly as AGE. One example from gen 1 is: how can a ragtag group of mobile suits from the quarreling colony factions which (in the early episodes) can barely scratch a single Gafran (the weakest of Vagan grunt MSs) can put up a fight (let alone win) in the battle against a horde of Gafrans, Baqtos, Zedas, and a Vagan’s advanced (at the time) battleship? Surely AGE-1 & G-Exes alone won’t be able to make a difference in that massive battle (forgot the name of the battle). And that’s just one silliness that happened earlier in Gen 1 of the series. There’s a lot more as episodes gone by.
Well for me the cutoff point for where Seed Destiny was never really good or consistent was after the episode where Meer Campbell held the concert in episode 17. The degree to which it meandered and the characters went in cyclical development cycles after that point was absolutely staggering and there was just a lot of nonsensical fanservice like the hotsprings in the ship and the Hawke twins scenes that never really felt like it had a place in the story. Not to mention all the clip shows and stock footage that made the production a total embarassment. I hold these failings to be far greater than those of AGE which only really started to struggle and show signs of the games storyline being comrpessed into a TV series after about episode 37.

Also that thing with the Zalam/Euba, they were given beam rifles like the G-Exes which could do damage, which allowed them to close the gap on the Vagan suits using their skill and experience. The reason they sucked so bad in the Fardain arc was that they were using those ineffective weapons and thus got curb stomped. It'd be like Miyamoto Musashi trying to beat a tank with his Katana. Yeah he's one of the greatest swordsmen of all time, but the technology gap is clearly too much. I'm pretty sure this is expressly explained by either Vargas or Flit at one point before the final attack on Ambat.

Quote:
Action:
This is where AGE is on-par with Destiny or even excels. Destiny’s drawback is (as everybody already knows) there’s a continent of stock-footage. Still, the action itself is very good. It’s stylish, fast, and has great fight-choreography overall. AGE’s action mainly prevail in the “minimal stock footage” department which I very much appreciate it. Still, the overall action in Gen 1 is what I call as uninspired. It’s very slow and badly choreographed. Then AGE improve itself greatly in Gen 2 and Gen 3 where the action is plenty, fast, and nicely choreographed too.
AGE is absolutely superior to Destiny in the action department, forget it merely being on par. Most shows are though. I don't think I've ever seen more use of stock footage in combat in a mecha series than I have in Destiny. No Gundam was ever allowed to get damaged unless it was under the right circumstances (i.e higher tier character piloting it), while at least in AGE the Gundams typically showed the stresses of combat and characters like Kio could be pressured by characters like Fram in their otherwise grunt suits so there was some actual tension in the fights even if you didn't necessarily care about the characters.

Hell Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse for all it's QUALITY issues still has more exciting battles than Destiny. That was simply inexcusable, especially given the budget that Destiny was supposed to have and knowing how well Sunrise can choreograph an action sequence. You wouldn't know it if you only watched Gundam Seed Destiny though as that one barely had fight choreography so much as posing and one shot kills more often than not.

Quote:
OST (BGM & songs):
I know that this pretty much depends on taste, but I find myself enjoying almost every single BGM in Destiny. The score is great and memorable. The songs (OP, ED, insert) are no different. It’s one of the best in Gundam franchise. As for AGE, the BGM is forgettable (I can’t remember even a single one of the BGMs) and the only songs I enjoy out of the series are only 3 (the 1st OP, the 1st & 2nd ED). If you find this as only one man’s preference, you can compare the sales for Destiny’s OST and AGE’s OST yourselves. At least commercial success can speak for itself.
I'd say both had pretty good OSTs. If there's one area the Gundam franchise has never really fallen short it's been the music. Do not care one damn about sales, only personal taste in this matter so no comment on that front other than of course Seed Destiny is going to have a more popular OST than AGE's in Japan cause the show was simply flat out more popular. If you can't remember a single song from AGE though I guess that's your own thing. I doubt you'll find many people that will find they have a similar issue though.

Quote:
Characters:
Overall, Destiny’s characters has more “oomph” compared to the blandness of AGE’s characters. Even if some of them didn’t well-developed, most of them are consistent almost throughout the entire series (minus the final episode where almost everyone do some really questionable action). Also, most of Destiny’s charas are enjoyable to watch when they’re doing their thing compared to AGE’s. Even Shinn’s character who turned into a whiny villain for the last 1/3 of the series is not as useless and as annoying as Kio, for example. You might also want to argue that Heine Westenfluss in Destiny is the equal of Girard Spriggan in AGE. Still, Heine is meant to be a “guess star” character and he didn’t take (waste) that much valuable screen-time compared to Girard and her backstory. In short, most of the characters in Destiny serve actual purposes compared to AGE's charas.
No contest here yet again. I'll take Flits path of becoming a hateful person because of events in his past but eventually realizing that the grudge wasn't worth sacrificing his chance to become the savior he'd always wanted over Shinn just plain never getting what a fool he was. To me Shinn is like if they had Zeheart as the main character instead of the overly ambitious loser villain type. He just blindly follows whatever Durandal follows because he feels it'll allow him to get what he wants rather than questioning whether his plan makes any sense at all or will ever actually allow for it much like Zeheart's relationship to Ezelcant. As for the cast, about the only character I could really tolerate or sympathize with was Athrun who was caught between loyalties for most of the show yet wanted to make sure he made the right choice, whereas at least AGE had the likes of Abis, Woolf, Grodek, Flit, Asemu and Fram. Not nearly as many intriguing characters as say 00, but certainly more than Destiny.

Shinn by comparison to AGE's Asuno family seemed to flip flop between being portrayed as a reasonable level headed pilot who could help change the flow of the battle he was in to a raving bug-eyed revenge obsessed madman whenever Kira was in the scene seemingly just so Kira could be portrayed as clearly the better man. That doesn't strike me as consistent...now that I think of it neither do things like Talia sacrificing herself with Durandal for no good reason despite having a son to look after and despite always showing to have been a fairly level headed captain that puts duty before relationships...especially ones that are long over. It's too bad though that Fram basically ended up similar to Talia in that despite her convictions she ultimately ends up sacrificing herself along with her madman commander who then loses it over her death moments later and ends up dying in regret anyway. Just doesn't feel like either of character needed to die so I will give that it's a problem that both series share at times.

I can also agree though that Spriggan was certainly a Heine, but it feels like she got more of a real backstory than Heine even if she was mostly a throwaway character of the arc. About all we learned about Heine was that Athrun greatly respected him and he was voiced by T.M Revolution and then he died really fast without accomplishing much because goddammit he was in the grunt suit facing a Gundam and that show followed the rule of Main character in Gundam>Minor character in Gundam>Minor character in grunt suit>no name in grunt suit to the letter regardless of how much skill the person was ostensibly supposed to have.

At least in AGE characters like Abis, Flit and Asemu didn't betray their skill level just because their suit was getting a little old and they were up against the big fancy new Gundams. There were limits to what they could do, but they could still do things. Plus most importantly AGE doesn't consistently retcon it's characters deaths where convenient just because people happened to like those cast members in the past.

Quote:
Character artwork:
Another taste-based point. But at least here, I will say that Destiny’s characters have more complex traits compared to the simple portrayal of characters in AGE. Fair enough, right?

So, according to my opinion above, Destiny scores 4/5 points while AGE only score 1/5. That one score from AGE comes from its action which, if you compare the time they’re made, AGE hardly wins over Destiny.
No contest here again, I will take AGE's varied if sometimes goofy looking designs over Seed Destiny's same face droopy eyed weird expression ones because at least most of them stand out. I think that show has aged worse than any other than perhaps Gundam Wing in terms of how ugly the artwork looks when watching it today.

Also by my standards the characters in Destiny's portrayal was pretty damn simplistic and one note...far more than the majority of the major characters in AGE's with perhaps the exception of Kio.

Quote:
Once again, all this comes from me who really really don’t like (if not outright hate) Destiny as an overall series. So, no, I’m not really biased. Most of the elements in Destiny is indeed better than AGE.
You are biased clearly, but that's okay That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I've stated my reasons and plan on sticking to them for now though.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-09-24 at 13:57.
Old 2012-09-24, 13:56   Link #113
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
So I'm guessing nobody here knows even why SID decided to go in and merge with the Vagan Gear?

It's almost like the writers forgot about it so they decided to just throw him in there.
What's even better is that they didn't mention the EXA-DB up until the epilogue.
Old 2012-09-24, 14:02   Link #114
janipani

Ending was hasty, but emotional moments in this two last episodes worked better than earlier ones. I think writers actually raised their level for the last two episodes. AGE was not bad series, but far from the top. If this manuscript had been applied in 80s we might not have Gundam serieses anymore

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 14:08   Link #115
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Ending was hasty, but emotional moments in this two last episodes worked better than earlier ones. I think writers actually raised their level for the last two episodes. AGE was not bad series, but far from the top. If this manuscript had been applied in 80s we might not have Gundam serieses anymore
Yet if it had aired in the 70's it would have probably been seen as revolutionary and been far more accepted in it's initial run than the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series was. It feels a lot like the original series if it had tried to stick more still to the simplicity of the Super Robot franchises that preceded it than the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series, which is what was actually most off putting thing about the original Gundam to audiences when it first aired. The fact that is was so unfamiliar and different to the likes of Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Brave Reideen was actually seen as a mark against watching it.
Old 2012-09-24, 14:20   Link #116
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Oh please, the first half of Gundam ZZ made even less sense than AGE and it hardly made the Gundam franchise turn for the worse. There's a lot of cheesy mecha crap during the 80s so much so that I would argue if AGE was made in the 80s it would probably be held as a high quality revolutionary series.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 14:48   Link #117
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Even so, I would expect that the ship had been heavily customized and cannot be effective utilized (even if it can be piloted by any crew) in combat.
Just having a difference in parameter sets and weaponry can change the set of tactics available, and a captain who knows jack shit about the details can't do squat.
Of course the controls could be similar or if not, computer-assisted. But piloting is different from effective utilization in combat.

EDIT: and regarding the hijacking, they can't do anything about it if Nacchan says it's Asem's request. though I find it weird that Asem didn't tell the crew about it.
All I can say here is that I doubt Asemu actually said they could use his ship. Saving a random crew is one thing, but giving the ship is silly. I'm calling pure BS and she just lied to steal the ship .
Old 2012-09-24, 14:50   Link #118
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I so heard David Hayter in my head going: "VAGAN... GEAR!!!! O_o"

*sigh* And they killed Zehart and Fram for THIS!? They could have at least kept them alive for this cheese at the end... random working together and all...

At least I got most of my frustration out in ICQ... My post would be a lot of swearing in capslock otherwise...

But now I can only say... this was dissapointing...
Thank you... Better luck next time...
*walks off, never looking back at AGE again*
Old 2012-09-24, 14:59   Link #119
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just want to straight some things .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
Also that thing with the Zalam/Euba, they were given beam rifles like the G-Exes which could do damage, which allowed them to close the gap on the Vagan suits using their skill and experience. The reason they sucked so bad in the Fardain arc was that they were using those ineffective weapons and thus got curb stomped. It'd be like Miyamoto Musashi trying to beat a tank with his Katana. Yeah he's one of the greatest swordsmen of all time, but the technology gap is clearly too much. I'm pretty sure this is expressly explained by either Vargas or Flit at one point before the final attack on Ambat.
Which still doesn’t justifiy how they can beat a horde of Gafrans, the tougher Baqtos, and the faster Zedas plus Vagan’s battleship is easily make a run-for-it.

Quote:
You wouldn't know it if you only watched Gundam Seed Destiny though as that one barely had fight choreography so much as posing and one shot kills more often than not.
When did I ever say that I only watched Destiny? And how can you easily assume it? I’ve seen a lot of mecha shows from Voltus until the recent Unicorn. Still, the fight between Impulse and Freedom in SEED Destiny is still one of the best mecha fights, just to mention one. (and yes, I did watch the still on-going Total Eclipse).

Quote:
If you can't remember a single song from AGE though I guess that's your own thing. I doubt you'll find many people that will find they have a similar issue though.
I already find more than 25 of my friends (on facebook) having the same issue as me regarding AGE’s BGM. They all said it’s forgettable. Also, I didn’t say “I can’t remember a single song from AGE”. I did remember and enjoy the 1st OP, the 1st ED, and 2nd Ed like I already mentioned in my previous post.

Quote:
That doesn't strike me as consistent...now that I think of it neither do things like Talia sacrificing herself with Durandal for no good reason despite having a son to look after and despite always showing to have been a fairly level headed captain that puts duty before relationships...especially ones that are long over. It's too bad though that Fram basically ended up similar to Talia in that despite her convictions she ultimately ends up sacrificing herself along with her madman commander who then loses it over her death moments later and ends up dying in regret anyway.
Excuse me, I did say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Even if some of them didn’t well-developed, most of them are consistent almost throughout the entire series (minus the final episode where almost everyone do some really questionable action).
Right?
Old 2012-09-24, 15:33   Link #120
Se7en Sabers

So, AGE is a disappointment here in the West (if I can say) but is it the same thing in Japan ?
Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion