Old 2015-04-28, 11:04   Link #1
Dart-Sama

Măng Hoang Kỷ / The Desolate Era (Wuxia Novel) by I Eat Tomatoes

Original Title: 莽荒纪
Romaji: Măng Hoang Kỷ
Alternative Title: The Desolate Era
Author: I Eat Tomatoes

Synopsis taken from a site:

Fate had never been kind to Ji Ning. Wracked by illnesses and infirm his entire life on Earth, Ning knew early on that he would die as a teenager. What he didn't know was that there really was such a thing as life after death, and that the multiverse was a far larger place than he thought.

A lucky twist of fate (one of the few in Ning's life) meant that Ning was reborn into a world of Immortals and monsters, of Ki Refiners and powerful Fiendgods, a world where Dynasties lasted for millions of years. A world which is both greater...and yet also smaller...than he ever could imagine. He would have the opportunity to join them, and in this life, Ning swore to himself, he would never let himself be weak again! The Era he was born into was a Desolate one, but Ning would make it his era.
Dart-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 11:58   Link #2
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Oh, nice! I was planning on creating a thread for this...

Let me say this first: Fuck you IET! Damn, why Spring Grass... why?! I knew this was coming the moment Ning let her father take Miwa with him.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 12:38   Link #3
Dart-Sama

yeah, i felt her death too, silly girl, u HAD to leave him and die didnt u? >.<
Dart-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 12:51   Link #4
Mahesvara

I'm reading this with GT(finished first 23 books) and this is my favorite IET novel so far. But i totally agree with Ophis...

BIG SPOILER!
Spoiler:
Mahesvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 13:07   Link #5
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis View Post
Oh, nice! I was planning on creating a thread for this...

Let me say this first: Fuck you IET! Damn, why Spring Grass... why?! I knew this was coming the moment Ning let her father take Miwa with him.
Je je in true in this WN IET give all. Betrayall. Death of companions. Etç.
also what thing has him with parents? Always danger fáll onto them in all his works....
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 13:10   Link #6
Rainne

Just read the 40 or so chapters at worldofwatermelon and i must say, that this is without a doubt IET best work
i really love IET works, they are always so large and vast, when you think is done he throws another realm in the mix and makes everything up to this point seem like nothing.
the difference between japanese novels and Chinese is vast, chinese writing is just so much better is unreal. read about 11 different chinese novels and all of them are amazing, cant say the same for japanese

Last edited by Rainne; 2015-04-28 at 13:25.
Rainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 13:15   Link #7
BlackGaruda
Thread Lurker

Links, please?
Old 2015-04-28, 14:01   Link #8
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
Just read the 40 or so chapters at worldofwatermelon and i must say, that this is without a doubt IET best work
i really love IET works, they are always so large and vast, when you think is done he throws another realm in the mix and makes everything up to this point seem like nothing.
the difference between japanese novels and Chinese is vast, chinese writing is just so much better is unreal. read about 11 different chinese novels and all of them are amazing, cant say the same for japanese
This is vastly due to taste, in fact, most of people i know ( about 90%) would say JP LN is better than CN. If i have to compare:
CN LN:

good :
+ generally chinese MC have no problem with killing, in fact, it is a normal thing in there, which make it better than JP MC .
+ The story is relatively simple and attract reader through the character progression, in fact pretty much 90 % of CN work is character driven.

bad:
- Generally bad world building, out of all CN novel i have read, only 2-3 title have world that could be considered large, other than that, most CN LN just refer it as travel from A to B, B have this and this, A have this and this. We don't see the link or feel the scale.
- lack of plot progression, most CN novel, due to their tradition, just have the MC " want to become strong for the sake of being strong", this might seem a good point at first, but when you read about 4-5 titles, than it starting to tire you out.
- Lack of skill system and references, the Cn i have read all revolved around Ki vein, energy -> skill, they might have different name, but it the same for any novel.
- Escalation, CN is extremely notorious for having power escalation to a ridiculous point, which some battle just become downright weird at the end.
- Lack of skill system, lack world building -> similarity, most CN LN is 1 way or another, similar to each other if they are in the same genre. so yeah, if you have read about 5-6 titles, this will become a bother.
- The power of fortune, he who chosen by fate, it's a chance for you only.... in other words "Luck", goddamn Luck....... The thing i couldn't possibly hate more in CN LN, it make all the hardwork look like a joke, Stellar transformation, Duolo Dalu,... all fall into this category, the chinese emphasized concept of fate and chance, but most of the time, LN take it too far and it make all the story seem like a joke.
- have i mentioned Luck ??
- Lack of character expression, only very few CN Ln i have read actually bother to develop character and show us their inner working.

JPLN:

good:

+ generally, better world building, better skill system, better power progression make more novel more distinct, though it might still fall into cliches, it much much less similar compare to CN.
+ Expression, almost 100% of JP LN have to show us the character mentality, one way or another, completely reversed from CN.
+ Plot, most JP novel have inner plot working or another( except comedy or the like), while in CN novel, it's actually very rare to find a novel with good plot and back story.They do exist though.
+ Luck. it's luck, JP MC might be born special, might get some special weapon or ability at the beginning, but that's all they received, at the very least, they don't have game-breaking luck
- have a goal, MC in JP, is somehow easier to accept than CN MC, due to the fact that they have their reason to seek strength, and that make us resonated more with them

bad:
- wishy-washy MC, ok, i don't need to hightlight this anymore, pretty much anyone would get it
- confusing, sometimes the plot is just weird, and coupling with character, make the story confusing.
- Escalation, about 50-50, in the past this happened a lot, but most novel nowadays don't fall into this anymore.

about it, i'm on the JP Ln side. Back in the days i was also think that CN novel is better but when i started to read more than 5 titles then i starting to see that they are being repeated one way or another, not as in Cliches sense but more like the story core is similar to each other.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 14:02   Link #9
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
I can understand you liking Chinese novels more, but saying that the writing is better than Japanese novels, much better at that, is a little.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesvara View Post
I'm reading this with GT(finished first 23 books) and this is my favorite IET novel so far. But i totally agree with Ophis...

BIG SPOILER!
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Spring Grass:
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 15:02   Link #10
Mahesvara

^
Spoiler:
Old 2015-04-28, 15:22   Link #11
casgoldsmith

who's his wife?
Old 2015-04-28, 15:39   Link #12
Mahesvara

Spoiler:
Old 2015-04-28, 16:17   Link #13
Lyase

Quote:
One-dimensional mc/villian/main heroine= interesting, repetitive training schedule,? I mean read old school wuxia if u want a good chinese novel.
Lyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 16:21   Link #14
casgoldsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesvara View Post
Spoiler:
thanks
Old 2015-04-28, 16:57   Link #15
Jylenn

This is one of my favorite series I'm reading now. You are absolutely correct about the generic feeling with these similar series but I just can't help but like it. Maybe because the only Chinese stories I've been reading until now have been DD, CD, and this. (If there's any "can't miss out on this one"! That you know please feel free to PM me so I won't!). I have to say that this is one I'm enjoying because we get to see the contrast between his previous life as someone who was good enough to warrant special treatment in the after life to someone who embraces and revels in his new worlds barbarism. He better hope he lives forever because I doubt he will get such favorable treatment the next time around!

Does anybody know Autumn Leaf's fate by any chance? I didn't see mention of her so I thought I'd ask out of curiosity. Seems to me she is sister-zoned but she is also a lot older than him so...
Jylenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 17:00   Link #16
Riz
Djokjakarta~~~

Spoiler for g6tta as2:

“Excuse me, two of this [squeezed raw milk soft cream] please!”

Kazuki spontaneously read the menu frankly without even questioning it.

“Otouto-kun…that item’s name, make me feel so complicated somehow…”

Kaguya-senpai was dealt the final blow from a strange place and received even more shock.

[Sauce]
Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-06, 09:58   Link #17
Kyosuke_Nanbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jylenn View Post
This is one of my favorite series I'm reading now. You are absolutely correct about the generic feeling with these similar series but I just can't help but like it. Maybe because the only Chinese stories I've been reading until now have been DD, CD, and this. (If there's any "can't miss out on this one"! That you know please feel free to PM me so I won't!). I have to say that this is one I'm enjoying because we get to see the contrast between his previous life as someone who was good enough to warrant special treatment in the after life to someone who embraces and revels in his new worlds barbarism. He better hope he lives forever because I doubt he will get such favorable treatment the next time around!

Does anybody know Autumn Leaf's fate by any chance? I didn't see mention of her so I thought I'd ask out of curiosity. Seems to me she is sister-zoned but she is also a lot older than him so...
The most different thing about Ji Ning compare to other characters of IET is that he is not some cold-blooded bastard. He always tried to kill his targets only not his enemy's family,neighbours or entire town they lived in. AT the end of the "3 Realms" 2nd Great War, he had the chance to make enemy go extinct or something like that but he let them go at the price of giving up an asshole who again and again torment Ji Ning

I have hard time to imagine protags of CD and BL would let them go... In fact, that kind of revenge obsession scare him as in the case of his cousin.
Kyosuke_Nanbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 06:20   Link #18
chaosbeowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyase View Post
One-dimensional mc/villian/main heroine= interesting, repetitive training schedule,? I mean read old school wuxia if u want a good chinese novel.
Old-school wuxia (Jinyong, etc.) is like a wagyu steak; very good, but kinda hard to find, and there's only so much of it available. The recent wuxia novels by the likes of IET is kinda like pizza: not as good as a wagyu steak, but much more readily available. And who doesn't like pizza?

As for novel itself... Does anyone have any spoilers about the fate of Autumn Leaf and Ji Ning's mother?
chaosbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 06:41   Link #19
Kyosuke_Nanbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbeowulf View Post
Old-school wuxia (Jinyong, etc.) is like a wagyu steak; very good, but kinda hard to find, and there's only so much of it available. The recent wuxia novels by the likes of IET is kinda like pizza: not as good as a wagyu steak, but much more readily available. And who doesn't like pizza?

As for novel itself... Does anyone have any spoilers about the fate of Autumn Leaf and Ji Ning's mother?
Spoiler for Fate:
Kyosuke_Nanbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 12:05   Link #20
Hiyono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosuke_Nanbu View Post
Spoiler for Fate:
I was really sad how she just faded out of the foreground... Ji Ning makes this big fuss about 春草's death and the letter she left him, and then essentially totally forgets about 秋葉 later on, particularly given how devoted she remained to him the entire time. Oh well, at least he actually married the heroine I like the most of IET's works. Although in her case, the extra emphasis on plot development for her character as compared with the rest of IET's stuff worked out to her detriment

Tags
chinese novel