AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-09, 23:29   Link #21
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Hayate no Gotoku... original??? It's pretty mainstream, plus it's Ranma 1/2 with Ojous instead of martial arts... not that Hayate isn't good, I enjoyed it and think it's well done, but I wouldn't call it original or non-mainstream.

Elfin Lied... mainstream??? That's just crazy. (And I didn't care for Elfin Lied, but it's hardly mainstream. Unless murdering cuties is considered mainstream and someone forgot to tell me.)
I think, by mainstream, he/she means shows that most people who watch anime have already heard of. Elfen Lied is somewhat of a staple for anime watchers in the sense that anyone who gets involved with the anime scene hears about it at some [early] point. It's not exactly the same for Hayate no Gotoku.

Most of the suggestions in this thread are very good. I'd like to add Kowarekake no Orgel. It's an OVA, if that's an issue to you. It has a similar premise to Chobits, but its execution is like something else I can't really mention without spoiling it.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2011-06-09 at 23:40.
Old 2011-06-10, 00:13   Link #22
iceyfw

give Gekijouban Eve no Jikan a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summary
The future, probably Japan. Robots have long been put into practical use, and androids have just come into use.

Influenced by the Robot Ethics Committee, it's become common sense for people to treat androids like household appliances. Their appearance-indistinguishable from humans except for the ring over each android's head-has lead some people to empathize unnecessarily with androids. Known as "android-holics," such people have become a social problem.

Rikuo, a high school student, has been taught from childhood that androids are not to be viewed as humans, and has always used them as convenient tools. One day Rikuo discovers some strange data in the behavior records of his family's household android, Sammy.

Rikuo and his friend Masaki trace Sammy's movements, only to discover a mysterious cafe that features a house rule that "humans and robots are to be treated the same"...
Old 2011-06-10, 08:10   Link #23
Heiwatsuki

Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion is not listed in your OP, nor is Death Note.
My bad, i made a giant ass list of all dubs i do not want to see in another forum, there i listed evangelion and death note.

Quote:
Hayate no Gotoku... original??? It's pretty mainstream, plus it's Ranma 1/2 with Ojous instead of martial arts... not that Hayate isn't good, I enjoyed it and think it's well done, but I wouldn't call it original or non-mainstream.

Elfin Lied... mainstream??? That's just crazy. (And I didn't care for Elfin Lied, but it's hardly mainstream. Unless murdering cuties is considered mainstream and someone forgot to tell me.)
Hmm? your not aware amongest dub watchers elfen lied is mainstream. Its very well known, mainstream isnt about just genre dude. I assure you that if you search on google and type in Best anime list or something similar, majority of dub viewers will have 90% of their anime on the list to be a very main stream anime. And elfen lied is well known amongst them

And when i say original, I mean that the story is very unique, something new that seperates it from the more common things like the laws of DBZ or bleach. And yes, hayate no gotoku is less mainstream, it just has become alot more famous, unless your saying taht in the sense of a subbers view. For dubbers, this is not well known.

-------------------------------
Quote:
I think, by mainstream, he/she means shows that most people who watch anime have already heard of. Elfen Lied is somewhat of a staple for anime watchers in the sense that anyone who gets involved with the anime scene hears about it at some [early] point. It's not exactly the same for Hayate no Gotoku.

Most of the suggestions in this thread are very good. I'd like to add Kowarekake no Orgel. It's an OVA, if that's an issue to you. It has a similar premise to Chobits, but its execution is like something else I can't really mention without spoiling it.
You explained it better than me lol

----------------------

Quote:
Before the thread derails, give reasons why you believe the anime you listed is emotional. I don't know your standard.
Im sure from a logical standpoint, you can deduct that im looking for anime that actually try to evoke emotion. If you want a more specific answer, Im looking for the Melancholy and reminiscing feel like the ending of the anime short movie Cenceroll. Or the epic feel you get from TTGL, or the heartwarming feel of the ending of the anime GTO, or the heartbreaking and yet heartwarming events of Clannad Afterstory, or the sad story of Grave of the Fireflies, or the sweet feel from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time ( Toki no Kakeru Shoujo ). Above all, an anime that doesnt seem to have a forced plot, preferably slice of life, like how a person in earlier posts recommended Colorful.
Old 2011-06-10, 10:05   Link #24
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Haibane Renmei and Ghost Hound are I don't think mainstream, in fact far from it. It's mainly emotional because of the soundtrack. Surely, both shows are slow to get into, once you get in, the emotional scenes are handled in such a mature and poignant way, it's hard not to like the shows even though the ending leaves some questions unanswered. Both of shows are rewatchable because I couldn't really follow the plot at times. I find both shows vastly underappreciated even more than Kino's Journey. That's what I think. Anyway two shows are thoroughly recommended.

Also Princess Tutu you should also watch if you like magical girl show. It's emotional towards the end. If I may say, this show gets as dark as MMMS towards the end.

All the anime I recommended are as original as they can be yet they are sadly obscured by mainstream shonen series.
Old 2011-06-10, 11:53   Link #25
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I second Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze and would like to suggest Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. Ef is probably good for you considering you liked CLANNAD, though its a fairly "mainstream" title imho.

All of the Key/KyoAni stuff is "mainstream" by most definitions of the word, but I would suggest Kanon 2006 and Air TV. You should also read/play through planetarian.

btw, what is your definition of "mainstream"? I think of a lot of stuff in your good list as very mainstream, such as Summer Wars and often also have dubs. wtf. *confused*
Old 2011-06-10, 19:24   Link #26
Heiwatsuki

yes summer wars is mainstream, i just listed it to show an example of emotion evoking, not as an example of a non mainstream anime
Old 2011-06-11, 09:02   Link #27
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Well I completely do not get what your standard of mainstream is and your coming off more of as an elitist but here are some my suggestions if you haven't watched it yet:

Cross Game (For a more inspirational one)
Bakemonogatari (Just because it's awesome)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Will envoke many emotions for you, mostly soul crushing)
Old 2011-06-11, 14:52   Link #28
Heiwatsuki

my view on what a dub is basically something along the lines of one piece, bleach, and naruto. Anime that are very well known to the point where theres no need for someone to put it onto a list of recommended anime. I'm looking for anime that are not on the lists of ill experienced anime watchers. Too many people posting DBZ,ONE PIECE, BLEACH,NARUTO,DEATH NOTE,INUYASHA,RANMA,ELFEN LIED,ASTRO BOY, COWBOY BEBOP, CODE GEASS, GHOST IN THE SHELL, FRUITS BASKET, GUNDAM, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, FMP, or anything along the lines of those. Everyone with atleast some decent experience with anime has heard of these and even know what alot of these are about generally.

I also don't want to see the typical hero pursueing a goal and getting stronger as the story progresses learning new moves and ect. I want more originality. Example would be like Hayate no Gotoku, you don't see manga/anime like that so much nowadays.
I favor slice of life most of all, or just watching people live out their lives. Ex: Cenceroll, 5 centemeters per second, Whisper of the heart, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Higashi no Eden, N.H.K ni Yokoso. An anime with no particular goal like Code Geass. however im willing to accept anime like that also.
Old 2011-06-11, 18:17   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I think perhaps a problem here is that Anime Suki community isn't what you are objecting too.

Most people here watch shows that are currently airing in Japan, thus only subs available. Additionally they tend towards subs anyway. To us Hayate is pretty normal, I wouldn't consider it unusual at all.

If you notice, the recommendations tend to have several more obscure shows, as well as more popular ones.

To most of us "popular" isn't a negative, and there are so many shows, how can we be sure someone hasn't seen them yet?

I know plenty of anime fans that have not watched Evangelion, or Full Metal Panic.

By "mainstream" you are apparently meaning "anything that is commonly recommended at the other sites I go to". But I got no clue what is commonly recommended on those other sites.

My suggestion is to say what genre you want, then list those shows in the genre you've already seen. If somebody suggest something you've already seen don't get angry, just move on to the next recommendation. I think you'll find plenty of the shows you want here. You don't need to be so aggressive.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-12, 08:45   Link #30
Heiwatsuki

Oh! lolz. I see. Well, either way, the point was to filter out the more popular, I created this thread in the belief there the majority of people looking at this thread would have some knowledge about what anime dub likers watch. atleast some, so they would list the more unknown anime that are good.. I dont find popular a negative either, rather just something that shouldn't be listed if many people already know it ( regardless if they havent watched it, putting it up as a recommendation would be quite pointless ). In order to compensate for the fact that people have difference senses for mainstream, I said specifically anything that is away from the typical very known anime that ive listed , genre also having no importance. But an exception for those with an original plot. Hayate is of course mainstream in the eyes of a subber, its the same for me, however its plot is nothing common .
Everyones heard of death note amongst anime watchers, regardless of whether you watch dubs or subs. And everyone pretty much knows the general description of that anime. Its like that, im looking for an anime that has a quality that makes it unique. Look at Tengen Toppa gurren Lagann, as an anime it stands above the rest in a sort of way. Cenceroll also has that unique quality

Point: Any anime that is unique ( no shooting energy blasts, stomping the ground to create earthquakes, no typical school harem unless worth recommending ), Mushi-shi, Cenceroll, N.H.K ni Yokoso, and Hayate no Gotoku all have a unique quality that makes them distinct. Im sure subbers have atleast some sense to know what not to recommend,( Putting something like Full Metal Alchemist on a list is pretty pointless, no? )

-------------------------------

Quote:
My suggestion is to say what genre you want, then list those shows in the genre you've already seen. If somebody suggest something you've already seen don't get angry, just move on to the next recommendation. I think you'll find plenty of the shows you want here. You don't need to be so aggressive.
Sadly I don't have a preference. My anger rises from my withdrawal of a good anime. Ive become too dependent on anime as a way of escaping from reality. And for a while I havent been able to find a good anime.

Last edited by Heiwatsuki; 2011-06-12 at 09:00.
Old 2011-06-12, 09:14   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

When you get finished with the philosophical debates, perhaps you might tell us your reactions to the series that have already been recommended?
Old 2011-06-12, 10:08   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm...

Perhaps you'd like:

Maison Ikkoku

Crest of the Stars

Katanagatari

Kimi ni Todoke

Ookiku Furikabutte (aka Big Windup)

Mitsudomoe

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin

Those are few that I think might less well known outside the sub watching community. I'm only guessing of course. I also listed several others in my previous list, such as Shiki, or Honey and Clover.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-17, 14:12   Link #33
Heiwatsuki

Tokyo Magnitude is EXACTLY the kind of anime I was looking for. Nice drawing and animation, interesting plot, and sense of curiosity. PERFECT. thanks
Old 2011-06-18, 08:36   Link #34
Theowne
耳をすませば

Planetes has one of the most gripping and powerful climaxes I've ever seen. The first half has a mildly slice-of-life format, the second half becomes more plot-oriented.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2011-06-18, 15:52   Link #35
Heiwatsuki

ooo, another anime that is unique and seems interesting, ill start watching this today lol
Old 2011-07-14, 15:44   Link #36
Heiwatsuki

btw the word i was trying to remember is sentimental. Im looking for anime with a sentimental feel
Old 2011-07-14, 17:37   Link #37
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll repeat my recommendation of Bartender, then. Shouwa Monogatari has sentimentality as well, though it isn't being released very quickly. You might also give Moshidora and Cross Game a try.
Old 2011-07-15, 01:10   Link #38
Kerspunkle

I think you would like Mushi-Uta. I can't really describe why I liked it without spoiling it, so I'll just say that the characters' relationships made the story emotional (for me, anyway). You can read the synopsis here. http://myanimelist.net/anime/2603/Mushi-Uta
Old 2011-07-15, 10:02   Link #39
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'll repeat my recommendation of Bartender, then.
Once you open that heavy wood door, who knows what you might discover?

Eden Hall <3

Seconding Bartender.
Old 2011-07-15, 16:00   Link #40
MidoriHiME

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Made Shiranai is definitely emotional. Chrno Crusade, too, but not really until the end. I think Mai-HiME may also be what you're looking for. And I'll second Escaflowne.