AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-07-20, 16:37   Link #6681
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I dunno if you realize this, but there is nearly to no VN licensed outside of Japan, regardless if it is for the PS3 or PSP.

The reason is that Sony America refuses to see VN as a game, so long they are only bunch of text without a gameplay. That's why, only "VN" like Hyperdimension Neptunia were brought on our side, while a sizeable amount of regular VN are next to inexistent in english.

Furthermore, not trying to burst people's bubble, but you have to consider the actual profit they can make with such a niche market. And to make things worse, Umineko is hardly as popular as Higurashi and both franchise are arguably not your most popular anime/manga related stories.
Considering how mediocre Rondo sales were, it is quite suicidal to try licensing it now. If some other circumstances are to be applied, it may be a different story.

Either way, let's keep this subject alive on the PS3 thread, translation thread has -nothing- to do with console ports.
Aksys has openly defied this, though. They are bringing over a pure VN otome game to PSP early next year and they have openly said that they are interesting in bringing more PSP and Console Visual Novels over to America, both otome games and other genre. So, yeah, there is a chance with Aksys.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 21:03   Link #6682
AlexiaCarcera

We should probably stay on topic, but yeah. Warmly and softly waiting for ep 8 full patch as usual.

Also, curious, though this was probably asked before, do any of the choices made in first patch carry onto 2nd, and/or do they matter to get multiple endings or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainCharacter View Post
Aksys has openly defied this, though. They are bringing over a pure VN otome game to PSP early next year and they have openly said that they are interesting in bringing more PSP and Console Visual Novels over to America, both otome games and other genre. So, yeah, there is a chance with Aksys.
Agreed, and we all know (at least some of the staff of) Aksys loves umineko anyway :V. Still might not be likely though ;_;.

And by the way, I hope I'm not the only one buying both Hakuoki and Fate/Extra with the bonuses like a boss. I already have dat limited notebook.

Last edited by AlexiaCarcera; 2011-07-22 at 01:34. Reason: slowpokes gonna slow
AlexiaCarcera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 21:06   Link #6683
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Also, curious, though this was probably asked before, do any of the choices made in first patch carry onto 2nd, and/or do they matter to get multiple endings or anything?
When you install a new patch, your data is lost. However, if you try and start from the halfway point of EP8, it will let you replay the choices.

They don't really matter for the endings, they just effect a few lines of dialogue.
Old 2011-07-20, 23:55   Link #6684
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

I think klashi or chrono said around the time of the patch's release that they'd look into a skip function or something that lets you play out the choices and go on to the end of the patch, ofc they only said theyd look into it
Old 2011-07-21, 07:12   Link #6685
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexiaCarcera View Post
Agreed, and we all know (at least some of the staff of) Aksys loves umineko anyway :V. All I hope for is that Rondo ports umineko onto the PSP. It feels to me that it would have a better chance of being localized that way. Might not be likely though ;_;.
Umm, I'd suggest you to read the last page. Chiru PS3 wasn't the only game announced, you know.
Official site coming soon: http://www.umine.co/portable/
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 12:12   Link #6686
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexiaCarcera View Post
We should probably stay on topic, but yeah. Warmly and softly waiting for ep 8 full patch as usual.

As far as I know they do not. Only the endgame choice affects the ending per say.
Quiz questions affects "extra scenes" told when you solve them and gives you a different prize after that.
Murder game simply prevents you from progressing until you got it.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 00:16   Link #6687
xBTAx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainCharacter View Post
Furthermore, Hakuoki will only have Japanese voices, which was another thing that people said Sony wouldn't allow.

The whole "Sony won't let companies bring over VNs" thing is possibly a misunderstanding to begin with as well. I believe the example given in the conversation that started it was Sakura Wars 1 and 2 on PSP, and I think it was brought up that they might've been barred from being released here due to their ports not adding anything? Dunno.
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 11:53   Link #6688
Vladnar

Hello there, I think I'm in the right topic so I'll go straight to the core of my question.

Actually, I'd like to know how do you translate the visual novel (software and co). If you allow me to do so, I'd like to translate it into French. I don't plan on publishing it or anything because I really don't know whether I'll be able to fully translate it or if I'll have enough motivation, etc. I'm just doing it for myself at the moment, and I'll see after, if things go well. Of course, I won't do anything if you don't allow me to use your work.
I just want to do it 'cause I got some free time~

Thanks for reading =) (and sorry if i've made some mistakes in english ^^ )
Vladnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 15:00   Link #6689
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladnar View Post
Hello there, I think I'm in the right topic so I'll go straight to the core of my question.

Actually, I'd like to know how do you translate the visual novel (software and co). If you allow me to do so, I'd like to translate it into French. I don't plan on publishing it or anything because I really don't know whether I'll be able to fully translate it or if I'll have enough motivation, etc. I'm just doing it for myself at the moment, and I'll see after, if things go well. Of course, I won't do anything if you don't allow me to use your work.
I just want to do it 'cause I got some free time~

Thanks for reading =) (and sorry if i've made some mistakes in english ^^ )
Hello and welcome!

07th Expansion (the game's original developers) allow anyone to make translations of their games. You can use Witch Hunt's translation to make your own, but please bear in mind the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Hunt FAQ
Q: Thank you so much for this patch! However, I would like to ask if we could use your translation to make our own for [X] language. How about that?
A: A predictable request may I say (several groups have already approached us).

My answer will be the same for any group that have asked us so far: we have nothing against that.

However, we have special conditions regarding such a request. Of course, the group has to follow our policies as well. For example, any group that offers any game download aside from the demo is obviously an instant no.

Furthermore, I should say it clearly from the bat: we are really busy with our own patch; therefore, it is extremely difficult to substantially support any second group as well.

We certainly don’t want to drain anyone’s enthusiasm, so please be our guest and contact us regarding this request. We will certainly see what kind of advice we can provide. But bear in mind that this kind of project will be mainly yours.
In terms of actually translating the game, it's probably best to make a copy of the game with the English patch applied. One of the files in the patch is called nscript.dat. This is the script file where all the text is. You need to convert this file into a format you can work with.

To do this, you can use ONScripter Tools, a series of programs for working with (O)Nscripter files.

The program you want here is NSCDEC. On some operating systems (such as Windows), you can drag your nscript.dat file onto NSCDEC and it will create a new file called result.txt. On other operating systems, you may need to perform this action via the command line.

By opening result.txt, you can gain access to the script itself.

In this file, you will find lines such as this:

Code:
;「…………また。@…お酒を嗜まれましたな?」\
`"............Again.`@`  ...So, you still haven't overcome your love of alcohol?"`\
You don't really need to know the NScripter language to be able to translate, but it's worth noting a few things.

The first line is the original Japanese line. To replace the Japanese with their English translation, they commented out the Japanese line and added the English line underneath.

Lines that are commented out are ignored by the NScripter interpreter. This is done by adding a semicolon ( ; ) at the beginning of a line.

What you can do is comment out the English line and add your own translation underneath. You can save it and call it 0.txt then try to run it using an NScripter interpreter.

Note: I don't think ONScripter-EN plays well with accents so you might need to use PONScripter instead. I'm not entirely familiar with this sort of thing I'm afraid, so I can't really help you there, but these are the sort of basics. Maybe someone else may be able to provide a bit more information?

Anyway, good luck with your translation! :-D
Old 2011-07-25, 15:08   Link #6690
Madman6510
Child of Man

What's the difference between the ONScripter engine and the PONScripter engine? I'm curious now.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 15:13   Link #6691
Vladnar

Oh I'm truly sorry, I didn't read the Witch Hunt's FAQ ><

Anyway, I really thank you for you help, I'll give it a try with what you've given to me! You've written quite a big paragraph, I'll try to be worth of it xD
However I might contact you again if I got some trouble with the software . Once I translated at least , one sentence, I guess that will be fine ^o^

Thanks again
Old 2011-07-25, 15:28   Link #6692
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As much as Yirba's message was meant to be helpful, I'm however forced to stop on your tracks Vladnar (thanks Yirba, but I would like that such kind of confirmations are done by one member of the group, not an outsider, in order not to create any misunderstanding).
Regarding a possible translation of Umineko in French, that project is currently being discussed within Kawasoft (responsible for Narcissu, Katawa Shoujo and True Rememberance translations), which would be counterproductive should you try doing it as well.

Furthermore, I would like to have an initial private discussion with anyone wishing to take this advent before anything is initiated, in order not to have any incident.
Old 2011-07-25, 15:40   Link #6693
Vladnar

Oh well , okay that's fine with me, I thank Yirba all the same, I learned quite a few things tonight.

I hope they'll do a great job so that everyone enjoy it !

I wish you good luck for your own translations and future projects and I'm looking forward to Umineko 8th
Old 2011-07-25, 16:15   Link #6694
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman6510 View Post
What's the difference between the ONScripter engine and the PONScripter engine? I'm curious now.
PONScripter (Proportional ONScripter) natively supports UTF-8 script files, more fonts and text formatting. It's not backwards compatible, but it supports more languages.
Old 2011-07-25, 18:08   Link #6695
gn_X00

Hi, I'm new here so I don't really know where to post this, but I think it is still umineko project...

Aren't there a ps3 conversion project to pc? Isn't it still going or is it stopped?
gn_X00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 18:10   Link #6696
Madman6510
Child of Man

Someone from 07th Inquisition said that they were doing it, there was this big thing and the guy ended getting kicked out of the group.

We don't really support that kind of thing, since doing so would pretty much require that you pirate the game to get it.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 18:50   Link #6697
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

there is a project out there somewhere, search ps3ification patch, though it isn't exactly associated in any way with witch-hunt, infact they really dont condone the thing.
Old 2011-07-25, 19:03   Link #6698
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I guess I will put that in the first post of this thread, but our position regarding a "port" of the PS3 game into pc is as follow: Long story short, we won't do anything like that.
Old 2011-07-25, 19:30   Link #6699
ThousandKakeras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn_X00 View Post
Hi, I'm new here so I don't really know where to post this, but I think it is still umineko project...

Aren't there a ps3 conversion project to pc? Isn't it still going or is it stopped?
There used a project however it seems it have been abandoned, and the youtube videos were taken down by Alchemist,(according to the caption.)

Does Witch-hunt know something about this?
ThousandKakeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 19:38   Link #6700
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

No. As I explained, we didn't take any action towards that project, since it would be meaningless to "witch hunt" it so to speak. The only thing we did was publically denouncing that practice, that's all.

And frankly, we don't really have spare time to either hunt them down or to engage negociations with Alchemist anyway (speaking of which, as you may expected, Alchemist basically ignored us big time).

Tags
translation