AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-07, 02:51   Link #1
Go-lytely

Moso Dairinin (Paranoia agent)

This is a new series by Satoshi Kon (Millenium actress, Perfect Blue) and after 1 ep I was really impressed. It is very weird so I dont think everyone will like it but for those who want something a little different I recommend the first ep. I found out later that the script writer was Seishi Minakami (boogiepop Phantom) and now I know why the style felt so similar. Apparently the whole series revolves around the kid on rollerblades who assaults different people.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 03:29   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Since the show includes Geneon USA in the credits, we are treating it as being licensed by them. Moved thread into the DVD & Licensed forum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 09:58   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Anyway, sounds like an interesting series

Last edited by xris; 2004-02-14 at 09:43. Reason: Removed 'advert' to fansub group
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 11:11   Link #4
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Probably with just as immature an attitude when UV contacted them about Ninja Scroll.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 11:29   Link #5
aroq

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Probably with just as immature an attitude when UV contacted them about Ninja Scroll.
I think it's called "balls." Look it up in the dictionary.

And then of course nobody here really knows if it is licensed or not at this point. Just "being on the safe side" I guess.

Roq
aroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 13:43   Link #6
bayoab

Geneon has yet to email anyone about their titles. And it is 99.9% likely licensed. Similar cases of this include: IMMSE (3), Haibane (after the series?), Texhnolyze (10?), (The # in parenthesis is the episode which last aired when it was confirmed by pioneer). And thats just those i can come up with off the top of my head. The trailer looked so bleh though.... and every single series pioneer has pre-licensed has seriously disappointed me.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 17:56   Link #7
Go-lytely

Seems like Pioneer was never very active against fansubbers. Will things change with Geneon? Time will tell i suppose.
Old 2004-02-08, 18:27   Link #8
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroq
I think it's called "balls." Look it up in the dictionary.

And then of course nobody here really knows if it is licensed or not at this point. Just "being on the safe side" I guess.

Roq
Ah yes, AJ has the integrety and quality to keep with their stellar translation services. They are to be commended indeed!

Safe side? If Geneon USA is listed in the credits, then it's a given it's licensed to them. The only way it wouldn't be is if they decide to sell it to somebody else at a future point... and it will still be licensed.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 22:01   Link #9
aroq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
Ah yes, AJ has the integrety and quality to keep with their stellar translation services. They are to be commended indeed!

Safe side? If Geneon USA is listed in the credits, then it's a given it's licensed to them. The only way it wouldn't be is if they decide to sell it to somebody else at a future point... and it will still be licensed.

Ah I see. "It's a given." Well that's good enough for you I guess. You don't actually work for Geneon or Pioneer do you? Or I mean do you just do this as a hobby? You really should get paid if you're going to waste your time doing such a job for them.

I sure hope you're correct and it does come out on DVD in some region with english subs, and within a reasonable time-frame--I'll be the first in line to get it, pre-order it in fact lol. Until then I'll just shut up and enjoy some brilliant Kon, with excellent translation courtesy of AJ.

Roq

P.S. I wouldn't normally stoop to mention this, but since it is rather ironic as you seem to be aching to disparage AJ...you might want to make use of a spellchecker yourself, criticaster.
aroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 22:28   Link #10
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
excellent translation courtesy of AJ
Oh, I see, your entire post was sarcasm. That was a bit too subtle for me, but even I can't help but notice an AJ joke.
Old 2004-02-08, 22:31   Link #11
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Ah I see. "It's a given." Well that's good enough for you I guess. You don't actually work for Geneon or Pioneer do you? Or I mean do you just do this as a hobby? You really should get paid if you're going to waste your time doing such a job for them.

I sure hope you're correct and it does come out on DVD in some region with english subs, and within a reasonable time-frame--I'll be the first in line to get it, pre-order it in fact lol. Until then I'll just shut up and enjoy some brilliant Kon, with excellent translation courtesy of AJ.

Roq

P.S. I wouldn't normally stoop to mention this, but since it is rather ironic as you seem to be aching to disparage AJ...you might want to make use of a spellchecker yourself, criticaster.
Pfft. Oh no, I misspelt a single word in a public message board post. What of it?

And hey, you can download and enjoy AJ fansubs all you want. But don't take me for a fool. I don't need to go to a con or read a press release to understand the show is licensed when it specifically lists an American anime distributor in the closing credits.
Old 2004-02-09, 01:29   Link #12
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
I sure hope you're correct and it does come out on DVD in some region with english subs, and within a reasonable time-frame

Right, Geneon USA likes to just throw their money away on random things. Everything that's had their name on it has been released stateside. There's no chance this won't. Anyone who even thinks this needs to be fansubs deserves a good clubbing, cause they're fools.

And AJ is the ass-end of fansubbing. They're only making everyone else look worse.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 15:19   Link #13
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

I'm glad its licensed because what I saw of it was really good and the animation begs for a quality DVD picture. I hope we dont have to wait too long though. I may just check out AJ's stuff until it gets teh DVD treatment and then go show my friends my new trippy treat for them. My friends always count on me to have something weird or trippy to watch while we eat in-between gaming.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 15:55   Link #14
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Interesting ethical dilemma: is it okay for me to download and watch raws of a licensed show? I only sort of know what's going on, but I still have a complete episode on my computer.

Of course, I think everything, no matter what, is technically illegal, so in the end, it's rather moot.

Seen episodes 1 and 2. This show is absolutely brilliant. I'm sure that, given its all-star staff credits, Geneon will make this a top priority release. Maybe volume 1 will be ready in time for Halloween?
Old 2004-02-10, 16:09   Link #15
Go-lytely

Quote:
Interesting ethical dilemma: is it okay for me to download and watch raws of a licensed show? I only sort of know what's going on, but I still have a complete episode on my computer.

Of course, I think everything, no matter what, is technically illegal, so in the end, it's rather moot.

Seen episodes 1 and 2. This show is absolutely brilliant. I'm sure that, given its all-star staff credits, Geneon will make this a top priority release. Maybe volume 1 will be ready in time for Halloween?
Geneon (Pioneer) was always pretty good about not sitting on titles and releasing them quickly. So I think, a 1st dvd 6 months after the show finishes airing is more likely.
Old 2004-02-10, 16:18   Link #16
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
Geneon (Pioneer) was always pretty good about not sitting on titles and releasing them quickly. So I think, a 1st dvd 6 months after the show finishes airing is more likely.
Which would be around Halloween. ^_^
Old 2004-02-10, 16:23   Link #17
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Quote:
Which would be around Halloween. ^_^
[needless whining]Halloween. Aww man! That's too far away [/needless whining]

On the plus side, Halloween is the perfect time to debut a show like this. I cant quite figure out why but there is a sense of impending doom in it. Maybe it's the opening. It looked apacolyptic to me.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 23:34   Link #18
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Maybe volume 1 will be ready in time for Halloween?
It's that good of a show?!! The void that has been left by the end of the Kousetsu Hyaku Mongatari series needs to be filled. Is there anyway to get a overview of the first episode?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 05:58   Link #19
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
It's that good of a show?!! The void that has been left by the end of the Kousetsu Hyaku Mongatari series needs to be filled. Is there anyway to get a overview of the first episode?
Based on what little I've seen, I'd say it's better than 100 Stories, although the two shows are fairly different. Paranoia Agent is more of a "WTF WEIRD DUDE" compared to Monogatari's "WTF FUCKED UP DUDE" tone, if that makes any sense at all.

The only real writeup I've seen is JASCII's.
Old 2004-02-12, 15:25   Link #20
Breogan
Umeboshi

It looks very promising. The animation is great and the characters are very nicely designed. From the little that has been told so far, the story seems intriguing.
It's not the typical "everyone looks great" anime: the journalist (I think he's a journalist, Jasconius says he looks like a detective) is disgusting.
The old people look really old (that guy from the hospital was really great).

I can only hope it has 26 episodes and not 13 like most of this season's anime
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote