AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2023-06-24, 05:13   Link #1381
Jaden

Having Wagner as a mobile reserve would definitely be a huge asset in the war.

But there's way more at stake right now. If the southern headquarters remain in shutdown, that means no air sorties, no reserve deployments, and total chaos in the chain of command, which was already compromised to begin with. I don't see how the Russians can hold the line against Ukrainian counteroffensive in these conditions.

Also, Belgorod is likely to escalate again.

Spoiler for screencap:
Old 2023-06-24, 05:23   Link #1382
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Hearing from Wagner that Rostov's under their control.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-24, 05:28   Link #1383
Key Board
Carbon

Putin explicitly calling this treason seems to suggest a that this isn’t a LARP and there’s no room for negotiation

But I could be wrong

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-24, 05:39   Link #1384
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
OTOH, most of the surviving "convict volunteers" have already served their six months and returned to Russia as free men, and are not guaranteed to take up arms for Prigozhin).
Has it been confirmed? I did read somewhere than the contracts might had different time condition depending of the sentence the convicts had, and given the reputation of the Wagner group, I would suspect them to not respect their part of those contract.
Old 2023-06-24, 05:40   Link #1385
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Wagner apparently bypassed Voronezh, where a fuel explosion took place right after a Ka-52 flyby.

Aside from scenes of solidarity in Rostov, the Russian population as a whole seems rather apathetic to it all. Could be it still hasn't hit them yet.

@ganbaru - this is what a confirmed Russian forum member of TankNet said on the matter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Alymov
Most of Wagner are not convicts - but former military (many of them from SOF) and LNR/DNR militia members. Convicts who were hired last year have allready through their 6-month contracts and left (some of them are back on new contract, but they are no more "convicts" but free citizens).
Also, it is entirely possible that Wagner's bureaucratic engine is a lot leaner than the RU government's and Prigozhin knows how to keep his own men happy and loyal (hammer execution videos notwithstanding) by not indulging in the same bad habits (e.g. falsifying your location and assignment papers before carting you off to the frontlines, ignoring complaints about contract clauses not being respected, denying leave and skimping on promised salaries, etc.).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2023-06-24 at 05:56.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-24, 05:46   Link #1386
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I'm guessing not yet.

Apparently, armed soldiers are posted at the Kremlin, Duma and the Russian MOD building.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2023-06-24, 05:58   Link #1387
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Kadyrov just expressed support for Putin.

No surprises here.
Old 2023-06-24, 06:06   Link #1388
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Apparently members of the Belarusian government and members of Lukashenkos family have left Belarus and have landed in Turkey.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-24, 06:48   Link #1389
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Apparently members of the Belarusian government and members of Lukashenkos family have left Belarus and have landed in Turkey.
Why would they flew over some internal struggle in Russia? Do they fear the same happening in Belarus?
Old 2023-06-24, 06:51   Link #1390
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Putin's speech he made.

He said that anyone supporting the mutiny will be met with harsh punishment. Also mentioned the "information network" by foreigners are to blame as well.

Old 2023-06-24, 07:09   Link #1391
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Why would they flew over some internal struggle in Russia? Do they fear the same happening in Belarus?
Given the speed at which Belarus is losing its own sovereignty, one could always presume - provided this said spate of airplane departures is indeed directly linked to the Prigozhin hoopla - that some of them are afraid of splash damage that will cross the borders as if those were never there in the first place.
...Or afraid of any Stalinian-like purges that might follow soon thereafter...because Putin will certainly not be playing nicely anymore, should he pull through this (and there is a good chance he will). Heck, he could even use this development as an excuse to launch his full-scale mobilization and do away with anyone he even remotely considers recalcitrant or an eyesore...like, say, Peskov who rather recently boasted that...umm...his own son was...uh, fighting for...Wagner. (aaaawkward!)

But who knows.

Map of Wagner's purported progress towards Moscow:
<--- Click to enlarge

At this rate, we should start seeing things happening within 16-24h. Either it'll be bloody or one-sided or absolutely ridiculous...or it'll be a giant nothing burger.

Rybar (AKA Mikhail Zvinchuk, a RU milblogger) has a more detailed map of how Wagner is moving and sidestepping the checkpoints:

<--- Click to enlarge

At Voronezh, the VKS blew up an oil depot to prevent it from falling into Wagner's hands: https://twitter.com/wartranslated/st...44902100467713

Chechens on their way to Rostov-on-Don: https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/...68838162972672
They're going, but they're going slowly because - or so they claim - their vehicles are worn down by constant fighting in Ukraine and are thus dogged by technical issues.

Aaaaaand Oryx is opening a whole new tracker: https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/st...47501658845184

Meanwhile, in Ukraine:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2023-06-24 at 07:30.
Old 2023-06-24, 08:00   Link #1392
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/s...80337816285186

OSINT technical posted a photo of Russian troops creating sandbag fortification with Russian politsiya keeping an eye out.

----

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/st...51944039145474

Not sure on this moment. Civilians are helping Wagner contractors by giving them food/water. They didn't stop them.

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2023-06-24 at 08:12.
Old 2023-06-24, 08:58   Link #1393
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Shots fired again:

https://twitter.com/WarMach18898344/...57589920399360

...Or so it is claimed. That didn't look like a military truck.
But there are more and more reports of helicopters being sent to harass and stall Wagner before they can reach Moscow.
Old 2023-06-24, 09:21   Link #1394
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Got some long twitter chains to read. IMHO very good ones.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/stat...38798691115009

This one explained that Wagner contractors said their goodbyes to their families and told them to keep an eye on the news.

----

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/stat...00870947254273

This one explained the "chaos" within the Ministry of Internal Affairs. According to Telegram posts, the MIA's personnel were too drunk to respond to Wagner intrusions on a Friday night.

Many Russian LEOs are kinda nervous on confronting Wagner contractors should there be a firefight. Especially those assigned to work in Rostov. Gerasimov fled when he heard Wagner contractors were already in the downtown area.

Old 2023-06-24, 09:25   Link #1395
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's starting to look like what's happening are delaying tactics on Wagner's approach to Moscow. You'd think that the army would stop them at all costs, but now people are making it look like a PMC is going to more or less succeed where Napoleon and Hitler failed.

So the question is whether the Russian army is plainly and consciously NOT attempting to stop them, or perhaps because they aren't able to. Whichever answer is correct speaks volumes on the stat of the Russian army.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-24, 09:39   Link #1396
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...g_a_member_of/

Translated statement of a VDV paratrooper who joined Wagner 'cause he's pissed at what Russian MOD's doing. He hates the Kadyrov with a passion.

----

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...proaching_the/

People in Rostov are welcoming Wagner in the city. The contractors are happy to see this.

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2023-06-24 at 10:13.
Old 2023-06-24, 10:29   Link #1397
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

^--- There are also reports of Rostov residents approaching Wagnerites shortly after Putin's broadcast, to berate them and exhort them to stop what they're doing.

Plenty of claims from both sides, but I've yet to see something that is critical to all coups and the main guarantor of their success: widespread popular support.
So far, the main mood is apathy and mild anxiety, but not craze and fervor.
The thing is: when the population doesn't mobilize, those coups tend to fail...which is what happened in Turkey in 2016.
Old 2023-06-24, 10:31   Link #1398
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Seen at least one. But from what I heard/was told, it's just a local who happens to be drunk. (Shrugs)

Old 2023-06-24, 12:52   Link #1399
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Unconfirmed for now -- take this with an entire salt mine:

Putin has been using Lukashenko to negotiate a cessation of hostilities and return to the status quo ante with Prigozhin.
Some Telegram accounts claim the negotiations were unsuccessful, while others proclaim that they were actually successful, and the Wagner columns will consequently be turning around.

Given that there were casualties in this hoopla, and the personalities of the individuals (Prigozhin, Shoigu, Putin) in question, I doubt there will be a status quo ante.
At all.
Not after crossing the Rubicon and setting a very dangerous precedent.

Very weird two days, to say the least.

EDIT: https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-...-23/index.html
Quote:
Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin published a new audio recording Saturday claiming he was turning his forces around from a march toward Moscow.
Quote:
“We turning our columns around and going back in the other direction toward our field camps, in accordance with the plan,” he said in a message on Telegram.
The announcement comes as the Belarusian government claimed President Alexander Lukashenko had reached a deal with Wagner boss to halt the march of his forces on Moscow.
Quote:
"This morning, Russian President Vladimir Putin briefed his Belarusian counterpart on the situation in southern Russia with the private military company Wagner," the statement said. "The heads of state agreed on joint actions.
"As a follow-up to the agreements, the President of Belarus, having being additionally informed on the situation through his own channels, and in agreement with the President of Russia, held talks with the head of Wagner PMC Yevgeny Prigozhin," the statement continued. "Yevgeny Prigozhin accepted the proposal of the President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko to stop the movement of armed persons of the Wagner company on the territory of Russia and take further steps to de-escalate tensions."

Last edited by Renegade334; 2023-06-24 at 13:38.
Old 2023-06-24, 16:16   Link #1400
Jaden

Wow. In mother Russia, even the coup attempts are fake! I guess.

You would think that it's also a dangerous game, to just go back and pretend nothing has happened.

These kinds of incidents are gradually radicalizing Russians, because there have been questions raised about the government's legitimacy, and about the justifications for this war.

Last edited by Jaden; 2023-06-24 at 16:41.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote