AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-12-14, 03:26   Link #4161
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
In chinese, how do you pronounce 唭哩岸? Is it "qilian"?
That's Mandarin pinyin. IPA pronounciation is [tɕʰi. li. an.]

They even has a Danshui Line (Danshui means freshwater and that was a railway, qilian is a station)

No wonder Ryukishi07 said some people have solved the epitaph 98%... There were quite a few hint pointing to Taiwan actually. (Kinzo liked to eat areca palm, right? And areca palm is a famous food of Taiwan)

I guess the guys who noticed it must be Taiwanese.

Last edited by ijriims; 2009-12-14 at 03:57.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 03:31   Link #4162
luckyssol

So the key was qilian all along. I would have never come close in a million years.

We'll probably get confirmation of this in 2 weeks when episode 6 is released. That was one hard riddle
Old 2009-12-14, 04:14   Link #4163
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Speaking of which, the mention of Danshui reminds me of the river Danshui which actually runs through the suburbs of the Taipei capital district in northern Taiwan. I have relatives living in both Taiwan and mainland China.

Perhaps the biggest relationship I can think of from the top of my head is that Taiwan was a colony of the Japanese in WWII when it was called Formosa. It is very possible Kinzo travelled there during his younger years since it was a Japanese colony.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 04:16   Link #4164
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

The railway wasn't started until 1988. How could Kinzo have based the epitaph on something that didn't exist?
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 04:21   Link #4165
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Clearly it was one of his secret projects that was still in the planning stages??
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 04:24   Link #4166
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Danshui isn't just a railway station but a river in northern Taiwan. For arguments sake if Kinzo did have a Danshui for reference in northern Taiwan, it would have to be that river.

I should also add that in northeastern Taiwan there used to be some gold mines that we functioning, relatively close to the capital and to the river. Taiwan is rich in natural resources and the Japanese did have a hand in extracting this during the Taiwan's colonial era under them. Possible relation to the gold?

Does anyone remember the exact time that Kinzo supposedly got his hands on the gold?
Old 2009-12-14, 06:45   Link #4167
ijriims

BTW, do you think the red texts "Genji, Kumasawa and Nanjo are not murderers" have misleading tense? Lambda said this at a unknown kakera with no specific timeframe.

And she have been using present tense in descibing the four episodes a lot. When she mentioned about Rosa holding the master keys in her red texts, she still use present tense. Unless you think Rosa was still holding the master keys at the time (what time) the red texts were spoken, it showed that the tense in those red texts was irrelevant.

--------------------

Kinzo should have acquired the gold between the end of WWII to the start of Korean war, which means 1945-50. He purchased Rokkenjima in 1950 and built the mansion and Kwadorian in 1952 (also the time Genji said Kinzo's secret-lover Beatrice died).
Old 2009-12-14, 06:48   Link #4168
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

... I'm kind of amused by how people used to think Erika was a Mary Sue when EP5 just came out, thinking that she's just plonking in to save the day. But now it's quite the opposite, no?
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 08:02   Link #4169
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
... I'm kind of amused by how people used to think Erika was a Mary Sue when EP5 just came out, thinking that she's just plonking in to save the day. But now it's quite the opposite, no?
She's still a mary sue regardless. Instead of saving the day though she's just 'solving the mystery' like the smart cookie she is
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 08:04   Link #4170
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
BTW, do you think the red texts "Genji, Kumasawa and Nanjo are not murderers" have misleading tense? Lambda said this at a unknown kakera with no specific timeframe.

And she have been using present tense in descibing the four episodes a lot. When she mentioned about Rosa holding the master keys in her red texts, she still use present tense. Unless you think Rosa was still holding the master keys at the time (what time) the red texts were spoken, it showed that the tense in those red texts was irrelevant.

--------------------

Kinzo should have acquired the gold between the end of WWII to the start of Korean war, which means 1945-50. He purchased Rokkenjima in 1950 and built the mansion and Kwadorian in 1952 (also the time Genji said Kinzo's secret-lover Beatrice died).
Well this would be about the era when the Nationalists took control of the island after the Communists took control of the mainland after the war. It is very possible that Kinzo may have gotten the gold from a source related to Taiwan.
Old 2009-12-14, 09:07   Link #4171
Dlanor A. Knox
Crazy but OK xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
He purchased Rokkenjima in 1950 and built the mansion and Kwadorian in 1952 (also the time Genji said Kinzo's secret-lover Beatrice died).
..... .....
Ok, but doesnt building 2 mansions take a long time, like at shortest a few months and they ,probaly, didn't start building at the 1st of january because it's really hard to build in the winters, so they began like in april/march? and it would like take at least till august before its finished.... wth... ... ... ... ... ...
Dlanor A. Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 10:41   Link #4172
ijriims

1 or 2 years was not enough to build two buildings?

-----------------------

BTW, is there a link to Ryukishi's many interviews?

I think I once read that he said "There is a shadow plan working behind, and the plan is indisputably evil" or something like that.

He also said "there is only one truth."

And something like "the story of Umineko started in May"

---------------------------

Anyway, I am certain that Maria was crucial to the formation of real Beatrice, without meeting Maria, Beatrice would not have planned all these murders beforehand. Without Maria, Beatrice would live miserably as she always was. She owed a lot to Maria, similarly Maria owed a lot to real Beatrice.

-----------------------------

The more I think about it, the more it seems real Beatrice would communicate with meta-Beatrice, i.e. she knew what happened in the previous chapters.

This explained why she changed the approach in each episode, and why she just gave up in the end of EP4 as she was disappointed thoroughly when nothing she tried worked. (In EP1, no one tried to solve the epitaph at all. In EP2, after suit-Beatrice appeared, the six adults were killed. In EP3, even though the adults did try to solve the epitaph, Eva wanted to take it all and caused the death of Rosa and Maria. In Ep4, she just gave up on the adults, but the cousins did not meet her expectation as well. So she disappeared for a while and meta-Beatrice became a doll)

---------------------------------

And if one could not figure out real Beatrice's motive, there was no way some cases would be explained by normal reasoning. Her belief was important.

Last edited by ijriims; 2009-12-14 at 11:58.
Old 2009-12-14, 14:53   Link #4173
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Uhm what about the taiwan theory? Is there a specific reason to think it is the right one?

I assume that Qilian is seen as a probable key because it fits inside Quadrillion.

Q_A__IL_I_N
_U_DR__L_O_

There would be only two letters left close to each other as I was expecting. However I still don't get what kind of name should appear with the remaining letters.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 14:55   Link #4174
luckyssol

U DR L O = Lord U
Old 2009-12-14, 15:16   Link #4175
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'm gonna facepalm myself if the high and honorable name is "Lord U" and that it is supposed to stand for Lord Ushiromiya...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 15:19   Link #4176
Kamar
Author Wannabe

Obviously it is Lord "Uu~!"
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 15:26   Link #4177
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamar View Post
Obviously it is Lord "Uu~!"
Well, Eva did say something about how it was "childish".
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 18:23   Link #4178
EmilioXChaltier
Truth seeker

I think Ryukishi delibelatery set several (false ?) solutions to the riddle.
Jan-Poo's attempt to solve the riddle is also an interesting and quite coherent one : http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1137
So I can't believe that LORDU is a coincidence ! And if it's really a coincidence I think Ryukishi is aware of that.
EmilioXChaltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 21:34   Link #4179
Ronove

Alrighty; I also head based on Ep5, there was a lot of Kanji play. I can't seem to find it on the forums, but there was something about ...

Removing the characters in "The six will rise as sacrifices chosen by the keys..." and then something happens, with characters taht say "The two that are close...".

I may also quote that Ryukushi said it's best to be Japanese to solve the riddle...

--------------

On another note, disregarding the epitaph, is the culprit convieniently killing the victims accordingly? I'm also wondering about those stakes; disregarding the Type of Stakes as well.
I also heard that Erika has said it was from America? From my information, the majority of the Ushiromiya family did not travel... or got packages of stakes!
Ronove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 22:32   Link #4180
ameskitty
Kupo

I noticed that Himeya had run out of preorders for EP6 (I was pulling up the link for another friend - luckily I'd already pre-ordered) so I looked over at AmiAmi and found a potentially interesting screenshot that I don't think has popped up before:
Spoiler for EP6 screenshot:

I'm not going to try and make anything of that, and apologies if it's already been posted, but just thought I'd point it out for those who like these kinds of things XD. It could be fake too - who knows?

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote