AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-09, 10:09   Link #401
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

This "Blog of Death" transcript is obtained from another forum, which in turn is obtained from a mobile phone website (one of those WAP/3G websites, I think) which the psycho allegedly posts his thoughts before beginning his rampage.

I'll try and translate to my best knowledge, will appreciate if someone can double-check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The killer himself
<秋葉原通り魔>携帯掲示板に予告
<Psycho of Akibahara> His forewarning in a message board

◇携帯電話サイトに書き込んだ内容(原文のまま)
◇Transcript from a mobile phone website (Original text)

午前5時21分 秋葉原で人を殺します 車でつっこんで、車が使えなくなったらナイフを使います みんなさ ようなら
5:21AM - I'm gonna go kill people in Akihabara. I'm gonna hit them with a truck, if I don't hit them, I'm gonna stab them with a knife. Goodbye everyone.

午前5時21分 ねむい
5:21AM - I'm tired

午前5時34分 頭痛が治らなかった
5:34AM - My headache's not going away

午前5時35分 しかも、予報が雨 最悪
5:35AM - Weather report says it's gonna rain today. How great

午前5時44分 途中で捕まるのが一番しょぼいパターンかな
5:44AM - It'll be the worst case scenario if I get caught while doing it

午前6時00分 俺(おれ)が騙(だま)されてるんじゃない 俺が騙してるのか
6:00AM - If I wasn't the one being fooled, then am I the one that is fooling people?

午前6時02分 いい人を演じるのには慣れてる みんな簡単に騙される
6:02AM - I'm used to being such a nice guy, fooling everyone

午前6時03分 大人には評判の良い子だった 大人には
6:03AM - Got praised as a nice kid by the grown ups

午前6時03分 友達は、できないよね
6:03AM - I can't make any friends, you know

午前6時04分 ほんの数人、こんな俺に長いことつきあってくれてた奴(やつ)らがいる
6:04AM - Only a handful of people hang out with a person like me

午前6時05分 全員一斉送信でメールをくれる そのメンバーの中にまだ入っていることが、少し嬉(うれ) しかった
6:05AM - As I send this SMS to everyone on the list, I feel a bit glad to be still on this list

午前6時10分 使う予定の道路が封鎖中とか やっぱり、全(すべ)てが俺の邪魔をする
6:10AM - The planned road is being blocked. Just as I thought, everything is against me

午前6時31分 時間だ出かけよう
6:31AM - I'll go once the time has come

午前6時39分 頭痛との闘いになりそうだ
6:39AM - I seem to be having a battle with my headache

午前6時49分 雨とも
6:49AM - As well as the rain

午前6時50分 時間とも
6:50AM - As well as time

午前7時12分 一本早い電車に乗れてしまった
7:12AM - I took an early train

午前7時24分 30分余ってるぜ
7:24AM - 30 minutes to go (before he executes his plan)

午前7時30分 これは酷(ひど)い雨 全部完璧(かんぺき)に準備したのに
7:30AM - Such huge rain, even though everything's now prepared

午前7時47分 まあいいや 規模が小さくても、雨天決行
7:47AM - Forget it. Though it won't be as grand as before, the plan will go on in this rainy day

午前9時41分 晴れればいいな
9:41AM - It'll be great if it was fine

午前9時48分 神奈川入って休憩 今のとこ順調かな
9:48AM - Taking a break in Kanagawa. Everything's gone to plan

午前10時53分 酷い渋滞 時間までに着くかしら
10:53AM - How crowded. Arrived before the planned time.

午前11時07分 渋谷ひどい
11:07AM - Shibuya is terrible

午前11時17分 こっちは晴れてるね
11:17AM - Now the weather's fine

午前11時45分 秋葉原ついた
11:45AM - Arrived in Akihabara

午前11時45分 今日は歩行者天国の日だよね?
11:45AM - So it's a pedestrian free zone today?

午後0時10分 時間です
12:10PM - It's time

copy from MIXI
Seriously, just how much more sick can this guy get?

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2008-06-09 at 11:12.
Old 2008-06-09, 10:21   Link #402
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Logically speaking, if he intends to kill lots of people as reported, he should target Shibuya. Not Akihabara. So why didn't he ?
I know i've quoted you before and i said 'does this look like the mind of a sane person' but heh heh, whaddya know~

It must have already crossed this mind~
Quote:
午前11時07分 渋谷ひどい
11:07AM - Shibuya is terrible
Just a lil black humour on my end.

Anyways, no doubt this thread is gonna get flooded with the stabbing stories for a while, but I figured to add a lil colour to all this red and toss in some other news posts for peeps to discuss in here:

(still editing - digging for the online versions of some stories she read and discussed at work today)

edit:
here kinny~
http://www.fnn-news.com/en/news/head...N00134357.html
There's a video news headlines index on the bottom of that link, knock yourself out.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-06-09 at 10:54.
Old 2008-06-09, 10:26   Link #403
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

A bit off topic, I must complain about youtube's trigger happy policy of deleting everything even slightly copyrighted with ruthless indiscrimination, meaning I'm struggling to find videos and newsclips concerning the stabbing incident that has not been taken off.
Old 2008-06-09, 11:32   Link #404
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I would agree he is a sick man who needed help. I'm not sure if you meant the other "sick". For an outsider's perspective on modern Japan's claustrophobic society, I'd recommend Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation. Michael Zielenziger does over-represent the problem of social disjoint experienced by many young Japanese, but as long as you keep a broader perspective, you'll get a sympathetic insight into their suffocating world.
Old 2008-06-09, 12:08   Link #405
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

is this a protest against the US itself or is Korea really that afraid of Yandere-cows?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364484,00.html

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea's president dispatched officials to Washington on Monday to try to calm weeks of public uproar over fears of mad cow disease.
The move comes ahead of reports that the beef issue could prompt a reshuffling of President Lee Myung-bak's Cabinet less than four months after he took office.
"It will not be easy, but make your best efforts to achieve what the people want," Lee told a delegation from the Agriculture Ministry and Foreign Ministry before they left for the United States.
Old 2008-06-09, 12:41   Link #406
Ending

@ Kinny Riddle: Same. YouTube is quickly becoming just another mainstream channel controlled by the big players. Did you know that they are planning of removing net-neutrality so that their customers can access only certain pages like YouTube, Warner, Disney... You know, BIG players. I find it odd that YouTube is among them.

That stabbing incident in Japan goes to the same category as the school shooting in Jokela, here in Finland. I.e: people with angst against everything wanting to go down guns blazing. They aren't sick, really, just insane.

Last edited by Ending; 2008-06-10 at 10:48.
Old 2008-06-09, 14:16   Link #407
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Developing news on the tragic incident.

Declining morality is not the sole cause of Akihabara carnage
Quote:
TOKYO (10 Jun 08): As stunned mourners placed flowers, sweets and comic-book images at a makeshift shrine, new details emerged about the disturbed young auto worker who wreaked havoc in Akihabara, the hub of Tokyo's comic-book subculture.

The assailant behind Japan's deadliest crime in seven years, 25-year-old Tomohiro Kato, worked on a temporary contract at an auto components factory in central Shizuoka prefecture, police said.

Kanto Auto Works, the company to which Kato was dispatched from a temping agency in November, said he had been working normally until going missing on Friday. "We've been told that his attitude at work was very good and that he didn't stir any problems in the workplace," said company spokesman Naoyuki Hashimoto.

Residents of Kato's hometown interviewed by Nippon Television said that he did well at school. "He was good both at studying and sports. He was respected in the classroom," one woman said.

Kato reportedly had a strong interest in comic-book and video-game subculture. In a school yearbook in which graduating students were asked to describe their personalities, Kato enclosed a picture of an action hero and simply wrote the word "crooked" in English, reports said.

He admitted to police that he had documented his journey on Internet bulletin boards in messages posted from his mobile telephone, a police spokesman said. "I'll crash my vehicle into people and if the vehicle becomes useless, I'll get out a knife. Goodbye everyone!" said one posting hours before the crime, as quoted by Japanese media.

Chief government spokesman Nobutaka Machimura said officials would study whether laws could be tightened on possession of knives. Japan strictly controls firearms. "People say that public morality and relations between people are declining," Machmiura said. "But I don't think we can explain this case only by that."

Around the crime scene, overnight rain had washed away the blood stains from the streets of the neon-lit electronics district, where residents placed flowers and pressed their hands together in prayer at a makeshift shrine.

"I left coffee because I think that some of the victims will need coffee in the morning," said Ukyo Murakami, a 14-year-old boy on his way to school. "I'm afraid he did this because he played video games. But he should have known that in life, you can't hit the restart button."

Kazuki Homna, a university student carrying a backpack, said he was a close friend of one of the victims, 21-year-old Mai Muto, with whom he had spent time in San Francisco on a school exchange programme.

"She died not because of illness but because of a cruel tragedy," he said after placing flowers. "She was dreaming of working in the music industry but couldn't make it. I just can't find the words to say how sorry I am."

- AFP
Old 2008-06-09, 18:17   Link #408
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9...0892017jb4.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1...1201387ug6.jpg
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4...0962655fl3.jpg

Great. Now they have all the evidence that they need to pin that sociopath as an Otaku. Damaging and staining the term further.

Evidence 1 is about an article he wrote regarding a "Crimson Eyed Girl" saying "I'm not your puppet". Reminsence of Rei from EVA.

Evidence 2 headlines the perpetrator being a "Lolicon cum Speedster" based on various stuffs found in his apartment.

Evidence 3 shows a sketch that he drew on a survey form during his middle school grduation.
Old 2008-06-09, 18:59   Link #409
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, my local Chinese paper's lady in Japan (Fu Zhu Hui, if anyone must know), uses "influenced by XX subculture" to describe Kato. (I'm sure you guys know what the XX is by now.) I guess this is slightly better, but still...
Old 2008-06-09, 20:43   Link #410
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, my local Chinese paper's lady in Japan (Fu Zhu Hui, if anyone must know), uses "influenced by XX subculture" to describe Kato. (I'm sure you guys know what the XX is by now.) I guess this is slightly better, but still...
How curious it is that massmedia know the reason of the crime while the police is yet trying to clarify related facts

It is usual for schoolkids to say something silly under influence of anime and manga (or rock musicians, hollywood movies, football players, anything you like). His manuscripts in his teens have nothing to do with the crime -- possibly men in media also know it, but they are so eager to bash otaku culture.

I feel disappointed with the fact that media are reluctant even to touch the name of TOYOTA, the parent of Kanto Auto. The greatest advertisement patron reigns the infosphere.
Old 2008-06-09, 20:46   Link #411
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is this a protest against the US itself or is Korea really that afraid of Yandere-cows?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364484,00.html
Both. I consider the whole situation over here as simple madness.
Old 2008-06-09, 21:56   Link #412
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
How curious it is that massmedia know the reason of the crime while the police is yet trying to clarify related facts

It is usual for schoolkids to say something silly under influence of anime and manga (or rock musicians, hollywood movies, football players, anything you like). His manuscripts in his teens have nothing to do with the crime -- possibly men in media also know it, but they are so eager to bash otaku culture.

I feel disappointed with the fact that media are reluctant even to touch the name of TOYOTA, the parent of Kanto Auto. The greatest advertisement patron reigns the infosphere.
Well, Miss/Mrs. Fu didn't bash the otaku culture. She placed it in the article just as a reference. Not many of the "average" folks can understand the subtleness and different shades in the "otaku" culture.
Old 2008-06-09, 22:28   Link #413
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Kanto Auto Works, the company to which Kato was dispatched from a temping agency in November, said he had been working normally until going missing on Friday. "We've been told that his attitude at work was very good and that he didn't stir any problems in the workplace," said company spokesman Naoyuki Hashimoto.

Residents of Kato's hometown interviewed by Nippon Television said that he did well at school. "He was good both at studying and sports. He was respected in the classroom," one woman said.
Now this is obviously a tragedy, but I can't help but think of the Lucky Star episode where Konata remarks that people who knew the criminal always say he was a good boy and surprised something like this would happen.
Old 2008-06-09, 22:54   Link #414
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Now this is obviously a tragedy, but I can't help but think of the Lucky Star episode where Konata remarks that people who knew the criminal always say he was a good boy and surprised something like this would happen.
Lucky Star is considered seinen precisely because of such observations. It's not just about random stuff, that series.
Old 2008-06-09, 23:54   Link #415
FateAnomaly

Seems like he got tired of being a nice guy. Somehow he makes me think of Fuyuki from minami-ke.
Old 2008-06-10, 01:00   Link #416
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

^Or maybe because these people that claims to know him do not really know him well and pretend to truly know him while considering him a nice guy. And the feeling of isolation makes him commit crime. In that sense, these people drive him toward committing crime and should be convicted.
j/k

But yea, I wonder how a person can change from "respected, blah blah blah" to a "criminal" overnight, unless he/she has concealed his/her true self all along.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-06-10, 08:55   Link #417
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Lucky Star is considered seinen precisely because of such observations. It's not just about random stuff, that series.
Before we all start using Lucky Star to profile mentally disturbed serial killers, I'm going to point out that no one would have described Seung-Hui Cho as a "good boy". Even if the observation does hold weight, it says nothing about the perpetrator, just that the average neighbour has no capacity to spot a potential murderer except in the most obvious of cases.
Old 2008-06-10, 09:25   Link #418
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Strange how news about this varies from place to place. On dutch sites i read that he was some member of the mafia... Didn't hear anything about that over here. Guess it was just made up...

This part caught my attention.
Quote:
Chief government spokesman Nobutaka Machimura said officials would study whether laws could be tightened on possession of knives. Japan strictly controls firearms. "People say that public morality and relations between people are declining," Machmiura said. "But I don't think we can explain this case only by that."
Hello mr Jack Thompson.
Every person has a knife in his house, how else do they expect people to prepare their food? Don't know why they look in to something like that to begin with. It's not like that being the cause of the problem. While they are at it, they might as well tighten the control on laundry detergent seeing the events of suicides using those products...

Meh, this world sure is twisted.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2008-06-10, 09:34   Link #419
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi
On dutch sites i read that he was some member of the mafia... Didn't hear anything about that over here. Guess it was just made up...
The earliest news wires mentioned that Kato claimed to be a member of the yakuza (the Japanese mafia), so your newspapers weren't wrong. That claim has since been dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow_K
Even if the observation does hold weight, it says nothing about the perpetrator, just that the average neighbour has no capacity to spot a potential murderer except in the most obvious of cases.
I think the problem is slightly deeper than that. It's not so much that neighbours can't spot a potential murderer. Rather, it appears that Kato had been able to hide his intentions by adopting the public persona of a well-behaved adult.
Old 2008-06-10, 10:01   Link #420
X10A_Freedom

Disgusting.

I'm also under the strong impression that "freeters" or temporary labour in Japan have very low social status and subject to stigma.

On The Times today:
Quote:
The selection of Akihabara — a district famed as the cradle of modern Japanese youth culture — appears to have been a central part of the killer’s scheme. And in plotting his spree, Tomohiro Kato appears to have chosen people he considered most like him: the obsessive geeks of a subculture known as otaku.

Friends of Mr Kato described him yesterday as a typical Akihabara type — a cartoonist of reasonable talent who would “lose himself for hours in cyberspace”. When he went to karaoke, he would select the theme tunes of TV animations; when it came to women he would declare that he was “only interested in two-dimensional girlfriends”.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4094961.ece
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international