AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-26, 23:53   Link #81
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Trying to copy another culture rarely works IMO. For every Avatar, we get a ton of shitty series that are completely forgotten soon. Yes, they can use their own interpretations, but most likely they will just try to copy the Americans...which would be disastrous.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 00:48   Link #82
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Trying to copy another culture rarely works IMO. For every Avatar, we get a ton of shitty series that are completely forgotten soon. Yes, they can use their own interpretations, but most likely they will just try to copy the Americans...which would be disastrous.
Rather than copy a different culture and fail, I honestly wish American animation would go back about ten or so years and start making its own (quality) animations again: Batman the Animated Series, Superman, Alladin, Duck Tales, Dexter, and so on, what ever happened to those great old shows for kids? Are they too complicated for our modern youths? Too dark? Too morally questionable?
Old 2012-02-27, 02:20   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Rather than copy a different culture and fail, I honestly wish American animation would go back about ten or so years and start making its own (quality) animations again: Batman the Animated Series, Superman, Alladin, Duck Tales, Dexter, and so on, what ever happened to those great old shows for kids? Are they too complicated for our modern youths? Too dark? Too morally questionable?
They cost money...
Old 2012-02-27, 02:23   Link #84
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They cost money...
You forgot "paranoid parents".

Old 2012-02-27, 03:46   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
You forgot "paranoid parents".
Now you're having a tin foil hat moment .... all the parents I know (including me) during the 90s *loved* those series and often watched them with the kids. In my opinion, we can mostly blame people/idiots/suits who don't have kids nor have any idea what they're like. The kind of people who market nasally inserted fire because they're morons and they think the audience is just like them
Old 2012-02-27, 03:52   Link #86
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Now you're having a tin foil hat moment .... all the parents I know (including me) during the 90s *loved* those series and often watched them with the kids. In my opinion, we can mostly blame people/idiots/suits who don't have kids nor have any idea what they're like. The kind of people who market nasally inserted fire because they're morons and they think the audience is just like them
Well, there are parents that are rather mentally insane and will try to keep their kids from anything "sinful" (remember "Pokemon is for devils"?), plus the "educational/informative" rules set by the FCC in the 90s...though the studios also get blame for not even trying...at all.

Old 2012-02-27, 05:39   Link #87
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
you know why its dying because anime get licenced then they dubb it in english dub then anime flat line from then onwards
Old 2012-02-27, 05:49   Link #88
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I live in a pretty rural area but the number of anime fans I continually stumble upon is staggering and many of those buy the local Madman releases quite religiously.

In fact about two weeks ago I had to go to the next town over which actually boasts quite a few stores and there is one audio and visual store which has an entire thirty foot space devoted just to anime.

Every time I go there I always find time to go and have a squiz at what's on offer and last time I had to fight for bloody room!

And shit, I know for a fact I wasn't the oldest one there, not by a long shot.

If anything I've seen the anime industry increase in my opinion.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 08:27   Link #89
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Also add Spiral Zone, Silver Hawks, Galaxy Rangers, Bravestar. Those along Superman, Batman, were the american series I absolutely loved watching. Back in my trip to USA in mid-2000s, it was sad that the only american worth watching for me was The Venture Brothers (I can't remember when Avatar started airing tho).

ADDENDUM:

Who else remember those international, mostly french-american, productions called MASK and Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 09:31   Link #90
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
They are too expensive to make.

Invader Zim

One of the coolest animated shows from the USA...

Died from the stroke of a bean counters pen.

BoonDocks

Another cool show... that survives because of its distinctly adult themes, excellent animation quality and the ability to plug all manner of adult goods during commercial breaks.

It survives because it can pay for itself... because it can sell beer, condoms and shaving gear.

The Avatar was a watershed moment... and I hope there are many more like it.

It was able to pay for itself simply because of its unique story line.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-02-28 at 21:38. Reason: please don't double-post
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 12:19   Link #91
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
The Avatar was a watershed moment... and I hope there are many more like it.

It was able to pay for itself simply because of its unique story line.

Then there is the clone of it ...

Ohh lord it is horrible... but if you look at eh characters it was clearly made by an executive trying to milk the "effect" of Last Air bender.
Avatar came out February 2005. Xiaolin Showdown came out November 2003. How could it copy what came out after it?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 13:47   Link #92
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Avatar came out February 2005. Xiaolin Showdown came out November 2003. How could it copy what came out after it?
OK.

Good info.

I saw it as a cheap knock off.

I am a bit too cynical.

My apologies.
Old 2012-02-28, 04:18   Link #93
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Or rather they are now obsessed with trying for the Comedy route, the last couple of original animated "flashtoons" were part comedy in some form. Like how I complain about Japan making too many ecchi shows but I fear Cartoons (or as now some call them "Flashtoons".) have their own glut of problems.
Old 2012-02-28, 04:19   Link #94
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If that was the case, Nichijou would do great over here.
Old 2012-02-28, 17:53   Link #95
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, to be fair, Japanese humor doesn't work here much...

Old 2012-02-29, 00:18   Link #96
gsilver

Quote:
Some of the stuff in Rocko's Modern Life had me wondering how the hell that stuff got on TV to begin with (like the Ms. Bighead tries to seduce Rocko episode, or the episode where Heff's friend (a chicken) gets a new job at Chokey Chicken, and Heff proceeds to eat her... This was done long before Scott Tenorman Must Die). Even when I was a kid, I couldn't stomach Ren and Stimpy, and I know that that show is far worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Invader Zim
My... organs!
Old 2012-02-29, 04:07   Link #97
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You know it would, not just that, even extraterrestrial life-form would enjoy that show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Some of the stuff in Rocko's Modern Life had me wondering how the hell that stuff got on TV to begin with (like the Ms. Bighead tries to seduce Rocko episode, or the episode where Heff's friend (a chicken) gets a new job at Chokey Chicken, and Heff proceeds to eat her... This was done long before Scott Tenorman Must Die). Even when I was a kid, I couldn't stomach Ren and Stimpy, and I know that that show is far worse.
I remember that, that was shown in the afternoon or even saturday morning programs. I reckon a lot of things have changed now in the industry.

What about the other way around? Japanese making or remaking western shows, recent example would be power-puff girls, I didn' t actually watched it so I cannot comment on it.
But, I just hear that Madhouse will create a new the peanuts show, you know that cartoon that featured characters like Charlie Brown and Snoopy. You guy think that will work.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 11:36   Link #98
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post

My... organs!
Ultimately one must have as many organs as possible to become the tallest !!!
Old 2012-02-29, 12:29   Link #99
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Got a very interesting tweet from Zac from ANN about a very intriguing 3-part series coming soon that SHOULD dispel a lot of misconceptions here.

https://twitter.com/#!/ANNZac/status/174902897023270912

Quote:
Starting Monday March 5th, we'll be running a 3-part series by Justin Sevakis that breaks down money in anime. I've read it, it's fantastic.
https://twitter.com/#!/ANNZac/status/174903079848783872

Quote:
He covers how anime gets made and who pays for it in both Japan and America and the economics of streaming. Monday, March 5th.
Old 2012-02-29, 14:44   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Got a very interesting tweet from Zac from ANN about a very intriguing 3-part series coming soon that SHOULD dispel a lot of misconceptions here.
It might dispel them if people would read them... but I find too many people are willing to construct a huge house of cards off of one bit of murky guessing