AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 40 38.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 30.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.95%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-13, 01:12   Link #181
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post
Well I am pretty sure that the scene's original intention was to clarify the nature of Eren-Mikasa relationship and why Eren is so "hot-headed".

Based on the arguments it sorta backfired. It would have been better if both of them were captured and forced to kill the bandits in order to survive.

Instead of answering our questions it raised more - why does a nine year old child act like that. No wonder Mikasa's reaction felt more natural compared to his.
The nature of Eren's and Mikasa's relationship is not what's in contention, it's Eren's actions. But just because there is some controversy doesn't mean that episode didn't accomplish it's goal. You're scenario doesn't change that Eren would have still killed those guys if he had to, just as he did to save Mikasa, because hes viewpoint remains the same about them. He wouldn't be there in the first place otherwise. Not to mention it was deliberate setup to expose something about him away.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:26   Link #182
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
You're scenario doesn't change that Eren would have still killed those guys if he had to, just as he did to save Mikasa, because hes viewpoint remains the same about them.
(Edited) Murder and self-defence are two different things.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:35   Link #183
Iron Maw
Banned

It was neither about murder or self-defence, but a rescue mission. Killing just happened to be a necessary evil to reach that goal. Nothing more.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:38   Link #184
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I had no problems with eren's actions as long as he didn't lose sight of saving people who needed saving. Those men got what they deserved and I feel no sympathy for such character types.

It's obvious that Eren and Mikasa are not normal. But then again, what is really normal?
I've been thinking. Eren may be abnormal, but he may be the only sane man in this show. Titans are the enemy, and if nothing is done, they will kill everyone. Everyone else is too busy playing ostrich to see it, but it won't save them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'd hesitate to say, however, that he had a strong sense of "justice", as some claim. What happened in that cabin wasn't justice in the true sense of the word. It was just ugly, old-fashioned revenge.
Breaking into their jail cell to kill them is revenge. Killing them in the process of rescuing a little girl is at worst ruthlessly pragmatic.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:46   Link #185
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Breaking into their jail cell to kill them is revenge. Killing them in the process of rescuing a little girl is at worst ruthlessly pragmatic.
While not revenge per se, he came in there with preparations to kill if not just severely injure. He was hiding a knife and prepared a makeshift spear. He was admittedly in full self control, except maybe the part where he just stabbed away at the second guy, but everything there was planned and premeditated with the exception of the third guy. And even then he was in the state of mind not to panic and instruct Mikasa that she also has to suck up the fear and kill to survive.

So yeah, while it's probably not revenge, it was still dispensation of capital punishment.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:51   Link #186
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

No, I'll stand by my words: ruthlessly pragmatic. If he'd been with ten adult, experienced leg breakers, then yeah, maybe he could have taken it easy. But considering the circumstances, if he was going in then he couldn't afford to hold back.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:55   Link #187
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
It was neither about murder or self-defence, but a rescue mission. Killing just happened to be a necessary evil to reach that goal. Nothing more.
Well a rescue mission and a self-defence while you are threated being killed requires two totally different mindsets. I am not sayin what he did was wrong. It just raises a lot more unnecessary questions instead of answering them.

1. You are threated being killed -> you kill people to stay alive -> you are facing the reality of life, mature and become someone like the 16yrs old Eren (is he 16?)

2. (something happened in your past) -> you go on a "rescue operation" instead of waiting, cold-heartedly stab someone and then go berserk mode -> WTF just happened?

Thats why I say my scenario (both of them captured) would have clarified a lot more things.
Old 2013-05-13, 01:56   Link #188
LeoXiao
思想工作

Agree with Anh Minh. Eren got into total war mode, which is how he thinks humans should see the Titans as well.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 02:55   Link #189
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
(Edited) Murder and self-defence are two different things.
So are you saying that police officers who killed criminal who refuse to surrender themselves murderers?
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 03:30   Link #190
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
So are you saying that police officers who killed criminal who refuse to surrender themselves murderers?
We are talking about a nine year old boy who acted on his own, killed one person in cold blood and an other with berserk rage. Not police officers who trained for years to take out criminals, plus they are enforcers of the law, not judges. Even in a kidnapping situation its not the "grunt" who makes the call - there is a hierarchy and rules to follow.

As I stated before I don't think what he did was wrong, but I wanna know why he did it. Because in my opinion he is way too young to have such a mature sense of "justice". If he was lets say 16 things would be different (still young but different).
Old 2013-05-13, 03:44   Link #191
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Now, will people finally stop saying that

Spoiler for lol:
I never given this a second thought. It was just to good to read and criticize at times XD

But ya, he was never generic Shounen protagonist. Shounen characters would beat the thieves up and put them in jail.
Old 2013-05-13, 04:47   Link #192
BoyTitan

Its not so much that a kid killed I have a issue with its the intelligence. They really need to further go on his history for that to be realistic and not a asspull. I am supposed to believe some one who always looses in fights can kill 2 men and premeditate how to trick and kill them. Sorry but no I mean yes there are kids in other country's serving in the military who pull similar tricks but those tricks where thought to them by a adult.

Last edited by BoyTitan; 2013-05-13 at 05:11.
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 05:14   Link #193
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
It's definitely not a utopian paradise either. Considering that Mikasa's parents were murdered and there was an actual sex-slave smuggling ring going on.
Definitely not utopian, but that fact doesn't prove that their world is worse than our "peaceful" society. Stuff even worse than that occasionally happen in the reality we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Definitely not murderers but I've never heard anyone suggesting that a police officer shooting a criminal did so in "self-defense", unless he was actually being threatened.
Even if you kill someone before he can kill someone else that's not technically self-defense.

Also police officers have generally more rights than the other citizens about using weapons against criminals.
For example a police officer can shoot to a criminal who is escaping after being warned, but a normal citizen cannot, and can be even prosecuted if he does that. (that may vary from country to country but generally is like that).

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 05:21   Link #194
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

Thats why I say my scenario (both of them captured) would have clarified a lot more things.
But there was no use for a boy in this scenario. Eren would have been killed if captured.
Old 2013-05-13, 05:23   Link #195
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

I do think that Eren is suffered from Schizophernia and alike. A child with that age will has a hard time trying to kill full built adult with such a force. His eyes are showing the psychotic symptoms too.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 05:33   Link #196
yankky5

should I be surprised that everyone is so freaked out on how two 9 year old kids killed 3 adults.....??
Old 2013-05-13, 05:43   Link #197
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Getting into a spur of the moment fight, and planning to kill some guys you don't even consider people are obviously going to be handled entirely differently.
Eren has no intention of killing the bullies, just brawling with them, but with the slave-traders he went in with the intention of killing those guys.

Eren may have been shockingly competent at this sort of thing at that age, but the intelligence required to do what he did isn't anywhere near as high as people make it seem, especially if hunting is common in their culture. Not to mention Eren aspired to be part of the Recon Unit from a very early age.
Old 2013-05-13, 05:48   Link #198
novalysis

Actually, I think that Eren is... much closer to a Kiritsugu Emiya than a Shounen Protagonist. I am not saying that he is similar, just that in terms of characterization, we need to compare him to Seinen protagonist, not Shounen protagonist.

This is a masterful episode, where the emotions and characters really take a live of their own. It is an intense episode, and brilliantly executed. Even if, it's subject matter raises hackles. Really, Eren's victory over three adults relied upon the element of surprise, and decisiveness. Once he lost it, you could see him thrown on the ropes.

[mod edit: remove hints]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-13 at 22:45.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 06:17   Link #199
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

@Novalysis i agree with your points , In this setting there different set norm compared to our current society Eren is more seinen type character than your shounen character ....

is it possible that Eren over head the conversation of the two slave trader ? What they did [ Killed Mikasa"s parents] planning to do to Her? If so there some basis on rage specially what he did on 2nd slave trader.. and to point it out its mostly based Mikasa pov
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 07:50   Link #200
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

What I like about this series is that rage. The way they portray the rage of the character is astonishing. Starting with Eren, a small boy with the yellow hair, his hatred for himself being a helpless in countless situation and saved by his friends every time.

Then the back story of Mikasa. A girl frustrated and helpless and hanging on to the straw of hope which is Eren who came knocking on the door of her fate. The helplessness and frustration turned into full blown anger to avenge the death of her parents.

And Eren whose anger is like he's been possessed by a devil.

And I don't think Eren would die yet. He's a die-hard just like the Kyojins he hates. If you chop out the legs, he will grow a new one. He is infectious. He infected Mikasa to kill the adult.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote