AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 56 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 39.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 19.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.43%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-19, 11:18   Link #181
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suyo
Wondering the same, all I can think of is attraction.. I don't get why she would even make the SOS in the first place if she refuses to interact with humans (in ep 2 she is very crude at first to Kyon) since obviously that's what a club is for (and she is just looking for people with an -interest- in the same things). Maybe just looking at minor details too much.. but alot doesn't make sense -yet-.. at least to me ; ; But why would you refuse to be social with "normal" humans then go out and advertise a club you are running is looking for members.
Just to add on some of my thoughts.
Maybe Haruhi has an interest in Kyon cos he was the one that inspired her to start the SOS Dan. Maybe in her view that elevated him to an "above normal" status. Or maybe she's just this really self-centered (crazy?) girl who is just using all the SOS members to further her own goals. Perhaps to her the ends justify the means, even if it entails advertising for the SOS in bunny suits. lol
Old 2006-04-19, 11:22   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

9 out of 10 for me.... mostly because the animation seemed a bit off in some parts.
(though the Haruhi kick is pretty amazing animation if you look at it frame by frame)

I'm beginning to see what Mikuru is about and how important her role is ... and why she's willing to take such maligning AND how Kyon provides her some anchorage... her conversation with Kyon has a tragically heroic twist to it in ep3.
This looks like its turning into some nicely interlocking relationship stuff.
Old 2006-04-19, 11:32   Link #183
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
Just to add on some of my thoughts.
Maybe Haruhi has an interest in Kyon cos he was the one that inspired her to start the SOS Dan. Maybe in her view that elevated him to an "above normal" status. Or maybe she's just this really self-centered (crazy?) girl who is just using all the SOS members to further her own goals. Perhaps to her the ends justify the means, even if it entails advertising for the SOS in bunny suits. lol
I think she acknowledges that Kyon has a higher-than-average consciousness of reality, partly agreeing with her that typical humans are boring, yet refuted her that not all humans are (ep 2).

As for Mikuru, she sees in him a caring and worried individual that is helping her out. I wonder how popular she is in the school in general. She looks to be a reclusive person.

Concerning Haruhi's treatment of Mikuru, I have the guilty pleasure of appreciating it, and Kyon too on a certain level.
Old 2006-04-19, 11:34   Link #184
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Kyon, whose name no one care to recall, follows none other than the spectre of Don Quixote as Sancho Panza did. (I like the sound of that)

A successful Don Quixote, oxymoron at that... maybe, that's Haruhi?
Old 2006-04-19, 13:00   Link #185
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel
As for Mikuru, she sees in him a caring and worried individual that is helping her out. I wonder how popular she is in the school in general. She looks to be a reclusive person.
Mikuru is pretty popular among the guys in school.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-19, 13:40   Link #186
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
She has to be, for the reasons Haruhi already spelled out in the 2nd episode.
Old 2006-04-19, 13:44   Link #187
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
She practically has a fanclub following, so yeah.
Old 2006-04-19, 14:30   Link #188
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Spoiler:
I'd still join the anti group anytime. No, I'd probably be the FOUNDER of that anti group

Mikuru FTW
Old 2006-04-19, 14:48   Link #189
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suyo
Maybe I'm just slow, but I don't see how that gives anything away >< I mean, theres a question mark there
I think it's because of all this gif making that my eyes become extremely sensitive ... I even see the pixels now ... oh well

Spoiler for I guess you probably noticed it... but I'll say it anyway:

Concerning Kyon

I think Kyon is suppose to represent the general public (your average viewer) like Watson in Sherlock Holmes... basically even if things go totally weird or eccentric... if Kyon keeps it real, and acts realistically then the public will buy it... or at least give it some credibility...

Anyway to put it simply Kyon is there to eliminate the cheese factor
Old 2006-04-19, 15:11   Link #190
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
She practically has a fanclub following, so yeah.
Really? Was it mentioned so far? I don't recall hearing it, which is why I asked.
Old 2006-04-19, 15:55   Link #191
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Watching through the episode again, I do believe that the BGM did influence me greatly on why I felt so uncomfortable with Mikuru's crises. It's hard to take a bullying scene seriously when the music is going "oom-PAH oom-PAH", but when it's serious, sad violins, and Mikuru sadly asking Kyon if he'll help her if her life is ruined because of this, humour begins to feel inappropriate.
Old 2006-04-19, 16:23   Link #192
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Yeah, the Ska piece during the blackmail scene was great.
Old 2006-04-19, 16:30   Link #193
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
I'd still join the anti group anytime. No, I'd probably be the FOUNDER of that anti group

Mikuru FTW
HERTIC

I will burn you att he stake
Old 2006-04-19, 17:11   Link #194
Jaden

:O I've actually read the first Hyperion book...was going to a place with rather limited internet for three weeks, figured I'd need something to read and just randomly bought it. And it's the only real scifi novel I've read, ever.

Anyways, this episode was awesome because of the ruthless mikuru exploitation and the revelation in the end. Up to this point I thought this series is just fooling around in high school without any big twist. =P
Old 2006-04-19, 17:12   Link #195
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Question about an ooold post in the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Spoiler for Mikuru:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-19, 17:17   Link #196
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
I think it's because of all this gif making that my eyes become extremely sensitive ... I even see the pixels now ... oh well

Spoiler for I guess you probably noticed it... but I'll say it anyway:

Concerning Kyon

I think Kyon is suppose to represent the general public (your average viewer) like Watson in Sherlock Holmes... basically even if things go totally weird or eccentric... if Kyon keeps it real, and acts realistically then the public will buy it... or at least give it some credibility...

Anyway to put it simply Kyon is there to eliminate the cheese factor
talking about detail. for some really strange reason. in the last scene of of kyon and yuki. I keep noticing when you looked out from yuki's patio window you can see the red light falshing on the buildings and in one instants a plane was flying across the screen with kyon in it but you could only see the navigation lights, when the scen cut to yuki you 'll see the plane continue flashing across.

talk about detail!

Old 2006-04-19, 18:05   Link #197
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
Question about an ooold post in the thread...
Spoiler:
From what I remember it was referring to Mikuru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel
Really? Was it mentioned so far? I don't recall hearing it, which is why I asked.
Sorry, I guess I mistakenly answered from info not yet mentioned in the anime

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-19, 18:23   Link #198
◕‿‿◕

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-19, 18:34   Link #199
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
Spoiler:
From what we've seen thus far in EP3? That should be obvious ^^

And from what has been spoiled elsewhere by the novel readers, and from what you quoted...

Spoiler:

//EDIT: Since you weren't very precise in your earlier post... I wasn't sure if you meant who the alien was, or the person ^^;;
//EDIT2: After reading AvatarST's follow up post... I originally saw the Bolded section... but wasn't sure if that was your doing, or the original poster... so I didn't think twice about it ^^;; Behold the power of quoting ^^

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-19 at 19:24.
Old 2006-04-19, 18:58   Link #200
◕‿‿◕

Ahh, I was just making sure. And yeah, I highlighted that part but I guess I wasn't too clear.

Spoiler for Mikuru:

In any case, I rate this ep. a 9. Great, but I liked ep. 2 better and that was a 10. Real funny stuff again, Haruhi's awesome and totally nuts at the same time, and you can't help feeling sorry for Mikuru...