AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-13, 09:51   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 639 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Surprise, surprise! Turns out there's an early spoiler this week! T and aohige brings us the goods:

-Chapter title is "I'll protect them all" The ministory continues its Alabasta update, which now features Pell and Chaka preparing for the Reverie.....

-Though he's injured, Van der Decken manages make Hody a target with his left hand. The traitorous partner then explains that if Decken dies, his power should be nullified and the ark will serve its purpose in destroying the island. Decken then retaliates by throwing an axe at Hody, but the 'roided-up captain dodges, then uses his former partner as a shield as the weapon boomerangs back towards him. It seems that Decken has finally met his end.......

-Hody then decides to kill Shirahoshi before Noah destroys the island. Her brothers Ryuuboshi and Manboshi try to stop him, but they're no match for the extremist. He then gets on the princess' back and is about to slay her..... when he's stopped by Luffy's new technique, Gomu Gomu no Snakeshot! The supernova, who's still riding on the eldest prince's back, has finally caught up! Hody tells the rookie that he won't be able to protect anyone, but Luffy replies that he will save everyone, as that was the exact purpose of his two years of training......

-Back at the plaza, Hody's officer Zeo has Wadatsumi take on the kraken Surume, and gives him some ES. The powered-up giant takes down the sea monster easily, then goes for Jinbei next. However, the former warlord is able to counter the attack, the force of which knocks down Nami. Sanji is angered and attacks Wadatsumi as well, then decides to team up with Jinbei to take down the giant once and for all. Meanwhile, a drunken Hyouzou is assaulting both friends and foes alike, and is about to slice up Robin before Zoro stops him. The 3-sword master is then about to take on the alcoholic assassin, who's received an ES power-up, as well......

Nice, so we've got even more action this chapter! Things aren't looking too good for ol' Decken, huh? I still sorta doubt that he's dead, but you never know. I had also figured that we'd see a team battle against Wadatsumi, but I wasn't exactly expecting Sanji and Jinbei to be the ones to take him on! Of course, Zoro's match-up was pretty obvious from the beginning (speaking of the octopus, it looks like he's overdosed as well, since the spoiler pics showed his hair was white like Hody's). I'm still anticipating Usopp vs. Zeo the most though, personally......

Oh, and I figured we'd see the Reverie get mentioned by the time we got to Alabasta. That means we should see Vivi and Cobra preparing for the event, as well. I still wanna see Gedatsu the most, though.

Since the spoiler came out early, that means the chapter should be out early, as well.....
Old 2011-09-13, 09:54   Link #2
james0246

Damn, Decken was defeated like the mook we all believed he was.

Still, nice to see Hyouzou entering the fray. Too bad he has to be doped up to even think of challenging Zoro...
Old 2011-09-13, 09:54   Link #3
Homura7

Doesn't this confirm that the Strawhats are too strong now? The E.S. were created for this reason, the 2 years of training the crew underwent is just too much for the New Fishmen Pirates.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:04   Link #4
marvelB

^They haven't even reached the New World yet, so I'm not surprised that they haven't encountered any major powerhouses so far. And I already said earlier this storyline that I had no issues with ES being used to even the odds (since I wouldn't expect pirates to play fair in the first place....).

And... uh, shouldn't this thread be stickied by now?
Old 2011-09-13, 10:11   Link #5
Homura7

And Caribou not present once again, my theory of Caribou = final arc villian reinforced day by day.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:42   Link #6
marvelB

BTW, the Chinese scans are out. And yeah, like I said before, Hyouzou is definitely overdosed since his hair turned white, like Hody (apparently, he mistook the pills for snacks that you eat while drinking sake, lol ). I guess this means we can pretty much expect the rest of the officers to OD on roids, as well.....

Oh, and speaking of Hody, he claims that in his overdosed state, he's actually a much faster swimmer than any mermaid (which would make him the world's fastest swimmer). It also looks like Luffy's new attack didn't do too much damage to Hody since the water pressure weakened the impact (which means he probably would have destroyed him if they fought on land, lol). And Hody's claiming that Luffy can't protect anyone kinda parallels Arlong asking him what he's capable of doing during their fight, IMO.....

I'm also kinda guessing that Wadatsumi will OD on steroids too, since he's fighting both Sanji and Jinbei. Therefore, I won't be surprised if his hair also turns white next chapter....
Old 2011-09-13, 11:40   Link #7
noktown

I like Zoro's confident in an evil way look god damnit ;o

Like he first approached Hody underwater and now Hyouzou...
Old 2011-09-13, 11:45   Link #8
Miccheru

Is it thunder at the end of Luffy's snake shot at page 10 or just water splashing away?
Old 2011-09-13, 12:05   Link #9
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

It has always been my opinion that the Strawhats could have gone to Fishman Island and handled Hody and his crew two years ago, it would be hard but they would still win.
The whole two year training was to get them ready for the New World, Fishman Island is still part of Paradise IMO

I agree that Luffy's Snake Shot would have probably destroyed Hody had it been on land, it actually reminds me of Elephant Gun and how much damage it did to Surume, imagine that on land. Good to see that the Amazon's snake usage rubbed off on Luffy a bit xD
Speaking of Surume...kinda disappointed he was taken out in one shot like that...ah well
Jinbe...I love him so much. Wasatsumi is in deep trouble, facing Jinbe who seems to easily stop his attacks and Sanji who will easily dodge anything he throws at him.
Zoro vs Hyouzou...I'm still kinda pissed about Hyouzou taking the pills, it would have been much better if he didn't need them but as it seems...not only does he need them but he also needs an overdose to face Zoro...lame.
On one side I always love Zoro's swordsman battles but I wouldn't have minded Hyouzou vs Robin to be honest. It would have been nice and different but Zoro is the obvious yet still great pick.

Let's see...

Luffy vs Hody
Sanji+Jinbe vs Wadatsumi
Zoro vs Hyouzou
Chopper vs Daruma

All thats missing are Dosun, Ikaros and Zeo. Now considering Zeo will probably face Usopp, that leaves Dosun and Ikaros + the rest of the fishman army to Robin, Franky, Nami and Brook. I highly doubt it'll be a 2 on 1 so maybe...Franky vs Ikaros (FRESH FIRE!) and Robin vs Dosun. Nami and Brook have great crowed control abilities so it might be a good match.
Old 2011-09-13, 12:15   Link #10
Homura7

The match against the giant doesn't look like it will be permanent given Jinbe can knock out Wadatsumi by himself and half assed.
Old 2011-09-13, 12:49   Link #11
james0246

Damn, I wish Hyouzou would have fought Robin instead...then again, she would have defeated him too easily.
Old 2011-09-13, 12:51   Link #12
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Damn, I wish Hyouzou would have fought Robin instead...then again, she would have defeated him too easily.
i was re-reading the chapter when franky join. If Robin used the same technique she used against franky, not one man would be standing.
Old 2011-09-13, 12:53   Link #13
yakumo-chan

I love the last page!
Old 2011-09-13, 12:59   Link #14
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
The match against the giant doesn't look like it will be permanent given Jinbe can knock out Wadatsumi by himself and half assed.

Again, an overdosed Wadatsumi is more likely to be a capable opponent for the duo (I mean, if just one pill made him strong enough to OHKO Surume, then think of how insanely powerful he'd be if OD's himself.....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i was re-reading the chapter when franky join. If Robin used the same technique she used against franky, not one man would be standing.

Well, we don't really know for sure if an octo-merman's nads are located in the same area as a human's......
Old 2011-09-13, 13:39   Link #15
ninetail1989
Dreamer

i have a hunch that Decken will also munch down a bunch of ES he secretly have on him as well n become overdosed as well......and throw bunch of super sonic flying speed of light bunch of stuff to hody.!!!revenge...seriously they cant let the famous flying dutchman go down so easily...
Old 2011-09-13, 13:55   Link #16
Homura7

Lol, people in other forums are saying now Jinbe will join the crew because he's fighting alongside Sanji. They still don't understand how this would break the dynamic of the crew, not mention the bounty
Old 2011-09-13, 13:58   Link #17
ninetail1989
Dreamer

jinbe will never be a part of the SH....he will remain at fishman island as a guardian or a big boss...

hatsu may join the SH...but he seem far too weak....
i do really hope Mr2 will be SH next member....after escaping from Impel Down...and went for some power up as well...
Old 2011-09-13, 14:07   Link #18
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by posutan View Post
Just like how Franky was supposed to stay behind to protect the Franky Family and so on, right? Or how Sanji was supposed to stay behind because of Baratie, right?
You do know the abysmal difference there's between these two and Jinbe?
Old 2011-09-13, 14:12   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
They translated "Gomu Gomu no" into "Gum Gum." T_T

That's not the case with the MS translation. But looking at those other scans.... wow, and I thought the MS translations were sloppy (Stray-Hat? Seriously?).
Old 2011-09-13, 14:15   Link #20
Homura7

Quote:
The outcome? She joined and remained in the crew.
When Luffy defeated Crocodile and got his bounty increase. Your point?

But I didn't mean these dynamics. Most of us, Marbel and james too, know more or less why Jinbe will never join the crew.
Closed Thread