AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2022-09-14, 07:28   Link #1
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Like a Dragon series thread

I figured it'd be better to have one thread for all the games, since they announced not one but three of them! They've apparently officially abandoned the "Yakuza" name for the more accurate Like a Dragon.

Like a Dragon 8

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Like a Dragon Gaiden

YouTube

Like a Dragon Ishin remake

YouTube

I'm so happy Ishin is finally getting a localization, and in the form of a remake too! Features plenty of characters from later Like a Dragon games that weren't in the original.

Hated Yakuza 6's ending so I'm hoping Gaiden will reverse it. I think it's likely given that...

... Kiryu will be working with Ichiban in 8! What is up with his hairdo though?

Curious what kind of gameplay 8 will have. Maybe it will depend on whether we're playing Kiryu or Ichiban?

Good day for Yak- Like a Dragon fans.
Old 2022-09-14, 20:41   Link #2
Wandering Soul

It's a good day to be a Like a Dragon fan. 3 announcements is nothing to scoff at.

Never really expected Ishin to come over, but it's still good news. Gaiden will apparently explain Kiryu's journey from the end of Yakuza 6 to his repperance in LAD. Finally I'm curious to as what gameplay Yakuza 8 will have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

... Kiryu will be working with Ichiban in 8! What is up with his hairdo though?

If Kiryu is still hiding the fact that he's alive, then it could be a disguise. I wouldn't be surprised if he got duped into that haircut the same way Ichiban was into his.
Old 2022-09-15, 07:09   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
If Kiryu is still hiding the fact that he's alive, then it could be a disguise. I wouldn't be surprised if he got duped into that haircut the same way Ichiban was into his.
It could be... but it's still ridiculous for a 50+ year old man to be rocking such a haircut. The memes have been pretty funny

I really hope he'll be able to get his identity back in Gaiden so he can reunite with Haruka. The ending to 6 was so cruel to both him and her. Since he'll be in LaD 8 we know there won't be an "ending" for him, but at least throw him a bone.
Old 2022-11-22, 20:45   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Kiryu going back as protagonist for two games seems kinda strange after how 6 was the end of his big roles. Is it because Nagoshi left the studio?

Also, I kinda wonder what are they gonna do with Judgment despite actual Steam ports. Are they gonna make the Unjudged liveaction series with Kimura?
Old 2022-11-23, 10:15   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Kiryu going back as protagonist for two games seems kinda strange after how 6 was the end of his big roles. Is it because Nagoshi left the studio?

Also, I kinda wonder what are they gonna do with Judgment despite actual Steam ports. Are they gonna make the Unjudged liveaction series with Kimura?
Well, Kiryu was in 7 too, though his role was more about passing the baton. It is indeed weird he's coming back as a protagonist for 8, especially since I don't think Ichiban was badly received.

I personally would have liked Gaiden to rewrite the conclusion to his story (as it obviously will) and give him a happy ending this time. 6's ending was a complete downer. Unfortunately since he'll be in 8 his story still won't end.
Old 2023-01-26, 06:41   Link #6
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Old 2023-02-08, 09:26   Link #7
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Like a Dragon does it again. They put another RPG reference. This time is the card with the "Essence of the One-Winged Angel" for Isshin
Old 2023-02-24, 18:19   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Around 20 hours into Ishin and I just unlocked the trooper cards. I've only used them in the tutorial session so far but it feels like they have the potential to break the game. I'll take the health increase (my bar pretty much doubled) and leave them alone unless I run into an enemy giving me serious trouble.

The game until now has been harder than any other RGG game but it's more than manageable.

Graphics are a lot worse than I expected. It doesn't look like a remake at all, it looks like a late PS3/early PS4 game... which is what the original Ishin as, wasn't it? I don't really mind but calling it a remaster would have been more appropriate.

Combat is nice but sadly nowhere near as smooth as in Lost Judgment. Ryoma has to basically stand still to change style, which doesn't make for a seamless experience.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more when it was originally released. Since then Ghost of Tsushima came and there's no beating it when it comes to samurai games.
Old 2023-06-19, 17:12   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

YouTube

YouTube

They also randomly released a cutscene with some spoilers for 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgluZbGREW8

Spoiler for Infinite Wealth:

Hawaii as a new destination is pretty exciting.
Old 2023-06-19, 21:39   Link #10
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Spoiler for Infinite Wealth:
Spoiler for response:
Old 2023-06-20, 07:27   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Spoiler for response:
I know it's been memed for the longest time but as far as I'm concerned Kiryu banging dozens of hostesses over the years is canon.
Old 2023-06-21, 07:18   Link #12
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

So Gaiden is digital only and Kiryu has spiderweb powers....
Old 2023-07-24, 13:57   Link #13
thor23
Banned

The Like a Dragon series, also known as the "Yakuza" series, is an action-adventure franchise developed by Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and published by SEGA. The games follow the dramatic and thrilling journey of various protagonists in the criminal underworld of Japan, offering a unique blend of serious storytelling, open-world exploration, and over-the-top combat.
thor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-27, 06:37   Link #14
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The premise of Infinite Wealth reminds me of Dude Where's My Car and the Hangover. Guess at least it means Kasuga will not be getting tortured a lot by the yakuzas when compared with his superior from the previous game who literally shot him just for the sake of a mission

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2023-07-27 at 07:01.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-22, 08:56   Link #15
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The Gaiden trailer holy... Kiryu has often cried in the series but this one felt like something even more horrible is going on but Haruka isn't present. What are they trying to take from him now to give him that reaction? Is it a regret of his decision from leaving in 6?
Old 2023-08-22, 18:00   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
The Gaiden trailer holy... Kiryu has often cried in the series but this one felt like something even more horrible is going on but Haruka isn't present. What are they trying to take from him now to give him that reaction? Is it a regret of his decision from leaving in 6?
I wouldn't say often. He's cried a total of maybe three times in the entire series.
Old 2023-11-09, 18:02   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Played the first chapter of Gaiden. They make it clear early on it takes place during Like a Dragon 7. I really hope we'll get to replay the battle against Ichiban and his friends, but from Kiryu's perspective this time.
Old 2023-11-10, 07:33   Link #18
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I don't know if it's leaked content or a demo but Infinite Wealth you make a dual karaoke involving Kiryu and Kasuga with the theme "Judgement".... and it kinda doesn't work well at all
Old 2023-11-11, 11:52   Link #19
sam1

Quote:
I don't know if it's leaked content or a demo but Infinite Wealth you make a dual karaoke involving Kiryu and Kasuga with the theme "Judgement".... and it kinda doesn't work well at all
the English version right yeah its bad
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-24, 13:14   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Infinite Wealth is sitting at 90/100 on Metacritic, making it the best reviewed game of the franchise. Can't wait for Friday.