AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-05-12, 08:18   Link #21
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

We have rules against promoting kickstarters. As long as it's just people talking about how it relates to the game, that's okay. That said, I'm amazed at the funding for this. It's been a long time since we've had a new IGA-vania game, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a "new" IP without the shackles of Konami.

This and recent kickstarters really show a thirst for those classic 90's games that you just don't see anymore. I really wish more companies (that aren't Nintendo) would recognize that. Kickstarter and indies are great, don't get me wrong, but when you think about how many companies are leaving good IP on the table that people really want to play again, it's a shame. Konami is the biggest recent offender, but they aren't the first.
Old 2015-05-12, 11:12   Link #22
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

So glad to see Koji Igarashi getting all the love, hopefully the game will get him back on his feet after leaving Konami. His Castlevania:SOTN is easily the best classic "metroidvania" for a lot of people.

Love the concept art so far, wonder who is doing the art for this cause it doesn't seem like Ayami Kojima's style.
Old 2015-05-12, 12:08   Link #23
Freeter
beyond

I really hope this doesn't turn into another disaster like MN9. Iga's been passionate about this project for a long time, he deserves to have it fully realized.
Old 2015-05-12, 13:33   Link #24
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I think Mighty no.9 looks great, but I don't think the campaign was run well. That's a different topic though. I'm sure the game will be made and will play great.
Old 2015-05-12, 13:59   Link #25
marvelB

In all seriousness though, I hope one of the stretch goals will be for a portable edition. A good majority of the "Igavania" titles were portable entries in the first place, so I see no reason for that to change anytime soon.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 14:02   Link #26
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I may sound like the bad guy saying this, but it's really hard not to deliver when making this kind of game. Having finished nearly all of the Castlevania games, the key to a successful game is setting the right mood, coming up with a THE map and not having absolutely nasty controls. Since two thirds of that is what most people make all the time nowadays, all that's left is a good map (ok, maybe some story too). The items and powers are just an extra

Looking forward to this game, it will be G00D.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 15:23   Link #27
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Oh my god if it reaches 2M I'll be so happy. I love boss rush modes.
Old 2015-05-13, 13:20   Link #28
Lord C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
So glad to see Koji Igarashi getting all the love, hopefully the game will get him back on his feet after leaving Konami. His Castlevania:SOTN is easily the best classic "metroidvania" for a lot of people.

Love the concept art so far, wonder who is doing the art for this cause it doesn't seem like Ayami Kojima's style.
Symphony being the best is a matter of taste. To me, it was Aria of Sorrow.

By the way... DAMN, I was hoping this game would happen! Mirian makes it feel nostalgic to play with a female character, like Shanoa or Samus when she had a better personality.
To think they would raise 1.700k so fast!
Old 2015-05-13, 23:59   Link #29
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
In all seriousness though, I hope one of the stretch goals will be for a portable edition. A good majority of the "Igavania" titles were portable entries in the first place, so I see no reason for that to change anytime soon.
Kinda hard to do when the game is using Unreal Engine 4 and no handheld supports it. No Wii U support either. Not that it's impossible, however, because it is still possible.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2015-05-14 at 04:12.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 14:06   Link #30
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
"It's gonna be great!" No, seriously, I like Metroidvania style games a lot. The only thing that has been holding me back from playing the GBA Castlevania games so far is the art style. But the visual design of Bloodstained looks absolutely stellar. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

In the meantime, for everybody who's waiting on the game, might I suggest another great Metroidvania game on Steam called Valdis Story: Abyssal City? If you haven't heard of it, check it out as soon as you can, it plays really well and the soundtrack in particular is just amazing.
Old 2015-05-14, 14:36   Link #31
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Konami announced that they'll now be focusing on mobile gaming for smartphones and the like. I think IGA jumped ship at the right time with Bloodstained.
Old 2015-05-14, 15:36   Link #32
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The only thing that has been holding me back from playing the GBA Castlevania games so far is the art style.
Circle of the moon aside, the Aria of sorrow and Harmony of dissonance were great, the former actually being a huge hit (and great games, which is what really matters after all). Lots of replayability in both of them, with secret characters and special powers that encourage a different gameplay approach as you rush the entire game.

Taking these three games into account, it's easy to see how much variety can exist in the same kind of game: DSS combos vs soul equips vs levels, gear and collectibles. Three entirely different mazes, all with their own sealed off areas and secrets...some bosses may be weaksauce, but hey, it's the journey that counts, amirite?

Quote:
Konami announced that they'll now be focusing on mobile gaming for smartphones and the like. I think IGA jumped ship at the right time with Bloodstained.
QFT. This game can't be made fast enough!
Old 2015-05-15, 08:45   Link #33
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Circle of the Moon is actually the one interesting me the moth, because graphically it's the one that looks most like oldschool Castlevania. But I've heard that apparantly the two Sorrow games are the best handheld Castlevanias.
Old 2015-05-15, 12:08   Link #34
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'm pretty partial to Portrait of Ruin myself, given that it was my first exposure to playing the franchise, but the Sorrow games are definitely good, and Aria of Sorrow effectively saved the franchise from stagnation a while back.

For all the good that's done it now.
Old 2015-05-16, 02:19   Link #35
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Honestly, i can't recall most of my times with the rest of the series after SOTN despite having played the majority of them (atleast those that Koji Igarashi produced). While most of them improved on the formula but SOTN was the most memorable because it was a huge revival for the Castlevania franchise.

Character and art wise, i still like SOTN a lot more than the later series which became much more anime-ish in looks and design and lost the gothic feel of SOTN.
Old 2015-05-17, 12:44   Link #36
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Circle of the Moon is actually the one interesting me the moth, because graphically it's the one that looks most like oldschool Castlevania. But I've heard that apparantly the two Sorrow games are the best handheld Castlevanias.
lol no.

Don't get me wrong they good games, but Order of Ecclesia is definitely considered the best of series since SOTN.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 18:16   Link #37
Lord C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
lol no.

Don't get me wrong they good games, but Order of Ecclesia is definitely considered the best of series since SOTN.
As much as I love Order of Ecclesia, I still prefer Aria of Sorrow in the top. Both in story and gameplay.
Ecclesia's twists were good, but when I discovered Soma was Dracula I was like ''WHAT?! This Asha Rahiro is Mathias?!''
Old 2015-06-06, 02:50   Link #38
marvelB

So nearly a month later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Kinda hard to do when the game is using Unreal Engine 4 and no handheld supports it. No Wii U support either. Not that it's impossible, however, because it is still possible.

THIS is announced! And a Wii U version was confirmed to be in the works too, BTW. But really, news of a Vita port alone just about makes my day.
Old 2015-06-06, 05:45   Link #39
Kafriel
Senior Guest

With 6 days to go, they opened up a lot of goals...I'd say they are impossible to get, but this project has come pretty far already. Vita port makes me jelly because I only have a good old PSP-1000 =/ (and the PSP lacks a good castlevania title).
Old 2015-06-06, 06:02   Link #40
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
(and the PSP lacks a good castlevania title).

No love for the Dracula X remake? I thought it was pretty good.... and hey, it's hard to beat the fact that it even contained ports of the original PCE version AND SOTN (though the latter sadly alters the script/voices from the original PS1 version....).