AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2008-12-04, 07:25   Link #761
SilhouetteMirage
Banned

If people start paying them for their work, then it kind of becomes illegal.>_>

Side note: Were the things with Jessica's speech ever fixed in Episode 1? After reading about it in a blog, I did kind of notice that Natsuhi keeps scolding her when she's not saying anything even remotely improprer. I'm gonna give my support on having her at least call her grandfather "gramps" or something, since then it'd make sense.O_o
SilhouetteMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 07:25   Link #762
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv165
*Graphic Designer

haha, thanks but your gratitude is all enough (until one of us turn into bankrupt ).
We are just doing for fans' sake (let's be honest: for our self satisfaction as well), so it is all good. But I think chrono should be the one to decide here: he is THE man here after all ^^

Ironically enough, I think niemand would have welcomed such offer if she was still in the boat XD.

edit: silhouettemirage, I think you mistake donation and payement here. It becomes really illegal if we purposely ask money for the translation, as it would be an illegal use of the original material (until we became the rightful licensors, which will never happen: it will stay as a fan project). That said, there isn't any problem, legally speaking, for donations.
Otherwise, giving money to hobos on the streets would be exactly the same.

As for Jessica, it is more like the tone of her voice and some speech habits, which is difficult to kept it in english. We might change it in the future, but it is not exactly the main goal for the moment.
Old 2008-12-04, 07:37   Link #763
SilhouetteMirage
Banned

I like the idea of using things like "gramps", since it would keep the feeling of her getting scolded for minor things. The speech habits and tone definitely didn't come across when I played through.
SilhouetteMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 11:26   Link #764
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Thank you again for your efforts! I am taking my time enjoying the patch but I noticed a possible error:

Spoiler:

Also, I am wondering if the mods would allow yet another umineko thread, for those who want to speculate but are afraid to venture into the ep.3 thread without finishing the episode.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 11:34   Link #765
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv165
*Graphic Designer

Yes, this mistake has been reported numerous time, and it was obviously not a sly way for beato to get away from Battler's relentless strike
Sometimes, the most obvious and blatant mistakes can be overlooked by 3-4 different people, heh

Of course, this should have been read as
Spoiler for episode 3:

It will be corrected for the next patch (until it is really a necessary to release an additional urgent nscript.dat).

As for the umineko thread, I must admit that is the very bad side of releasing a partial patch right now, but the other problem is that the game sub-forum got already quite cluttered with Umineko threads.
As result, I think that for the time being, speculations can be allowed in the translation thread (that would also be a good opportunity to give details and such for syntax and possible mistakes). I will of course move all the episode 3 comments on the episode 3 thread once the full patch is released.

Well, that said, if anyone has another suggestion or so about that matter or whatnot, please don't hesitate to post it.
Old 2008-12-04, 11:36   Link #766
chronotrig

Quote:
I was just wondering but is there possibly anywhere that would be a good place to donate to the wonderful team that has consistently been giving us access to this series?
What a great idea! Well, I'm kinda busy, so no more translations until we've raised $1000

...Well, that's what I'd like to say, but that really isn't the reason we're making this translation. I think donations made to a group like ours are perfectly legitimate when that group is hosting their own server or spending lots of money on the project in some other way, but we aren't doing either. It's more of an ethical decision than a legal one, but donations aren't going to work.

If you really want to support our team and the Umineko series, tell as many people as you can about it. Because it's a doujin visual novel, Umineko hasn't gotten much exposure outside of Japan. That will probably change if it gets made into an excellent anime adaptation, but until then, word of mouth is the only way it will spread overseas.

Again, thanks to all of you who have supported this project. It's been hell trodding through all this text, but I'm glad to see that some people found it to be interesting.
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 13:47   Link #767
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
... and it was obviously not a sly way for beato to get away from Battler's relentless strike .

Actually, I thought that's what it was at first . But then I realized that the names repeated so....
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 13:48   Link #768
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
It's more of an ethical decision than a legal one, but donations aren't going to work.
From a technical standpoint there's nothing stopping somebody from taking the group's work and selling it at a convention, as we've haven't copyrighted the translation.
I think something like this happened with the Chinese translation of Higurashi...

Though as Chrono said the best way for people to support the project is spreading Umineko by word of mouth.
Old 2008-12-04, 15:43   Link #769
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Winter break is coming up for me in a couple of weeks and is about a month long. Would another editor be of use? I can't check the translation as I don't know Japanese, but I can help make the script more fluid/correct in English.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 15:50   Link #770
chronotrig

For the rest of the month, we're probably going to be in a raw translating stage, so there won't be much English out there to edit. However, if you still have some time after that, then we'd appreciate the help.
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 16:01   Link #771
actawesome

Hey guys. I just finished the most recent translation patch.

Loved it as always. I got so many theories, I'mma have to write all of them down. =D

I have a friend who's going to an anime con and cosplaying as George, all because of your translation patch. =P

Spoiler for Ep3spoiler stheory:
actawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 21:47   Link #772
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

*returns, looking worn out* finally..... I finished. I finished Umineko 2....

YOU HAVE ALREADY GOT MORE UP?

Its okay. Im safe. I dont have episode 3 yet... I cant fall to that untill I have episode 3... So im safe... for a few weeks, untill Umineko 4 comes out....
DaCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-05, 13:35   Link #773
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
As for Jessica, it is more like the tone of her voice and some speech habits, which is difficult to kept it in english. We might change it in the future, but it is not exactly the main goal for the moment.
Why don't you add 'ze' in her sentences ? xD;;;
*shot

Well, she do remind me of Marisa. . .
Spoiler:

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 15:23   Link #774
Rika_Chama

A kinda weird request but is there a chinese translation of umineko no naku koro ni? I got my mom to play it but it'll be easier if it was in chinese. I cant read chinese and i guess it'll be easier if I ask here. thanks in advance and perhaps traditional chinese instead of simplified if possible.
Rika_Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 17:20   Link #775
MuzikalNotes
Amry-chan, mii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika_Chama View Post
A kinda weird request but is there a chinese translation of umineko no naku koro ni? I got my mom to play it but it'll be easier if it was in chinese. I cant read chinese and i guess it'll be easier if I ask here. thanks in advance and perhaps traditional chinese instead of simplified if possible.
It's rather new, so I don't really think there's any yet. And googling it leads to this thread with your post, so I can't find anything.
MuzikalNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 17:24   Link #776
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Here there are patches for Ep 1 and 2 and they're 85% done with Ep 3
Old 2008-12-06, 17:25   Link #777
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
We'll beat them! Go guys go, make us proud

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 21:12   Link #778
Rika_Chama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Here there are patches for Ep 1 and 2 and they're 85% done with Ep 3
orz
Thank you but its in simplified. thanks for the help
unless they have a traditional version on the site
is there a taiwanese group working on it? although simplified is just another way to write. ... I tihnk.
anyway thanks for the english translation and keep it up =D
Rika_Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 21:28   Link #779
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Heh, started onto the first twilight discussion. It's like they're all working together trying to find the solution, the music really suits the situation god damn it it's awesome XD

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 23:19   Link #780
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
orz
Thank you but its in simplified. thanks for the help
unless they have a traditional version on the site
is there a taiwanese group working on it? although simplified is just another way to write. ... I tihnk.
anyway thanks for the english translation and keep it up =D
if you can read traditional chinese you can generally read simplified also but it doesn't go the other way around is all
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation