AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-09, 04:51   Link #861
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I've been completely let down in terms of how the latter part of this arc was carried out. It was just too much talking and not enough action. They skipped what I considered an important part of the backstory, and Touma was only half as good and a quarter as cool as he was in the manga. Hopefully, since this new arc wasn't manga-ated, I'll be able to enjoy it more. Though, given what happens in this episode, and how I felt about him felt afterwards, I won't get my hopes up too much.
Old 2008-11-09, 09:07   Link #862
Mentar
Banned

There is one scene in ep6 I expect to show up either here or on blogs, now that it is subbed. Hint: Fourth wall.

Reps to the one who finds it first ^_^;
Old 2008-11-09, 10:35   Link #863
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
There is one scene in ep6 I expect to show up either here or on blogs, now that it is subbed. Hint: Fourth wall.

Reps to the one who finds it first ^_^;
Spoiler for ep. 6:

I LOL'ed at that moment.
Old 2008-11-09, 10:53   Link #864
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah i found the fourth wall comment rather amusing.

Spoiler for episode 06:

& yeah, i thought of D.Gray-man when i heard a certain name and the word 'vampire' being used.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2008-11-09 at 11:06.
Old 2008-11-09, 11:11   Link #865
Molenir

Wow, that was a huge room. How long was he running for? Run, lotta talking while running going on, moving no closer, still running, more talking, still no closer... They really could have handled the little fight a lot better. And I didn't care for the anti-climactic ending either, even if it was that way in the manga. No excuse for cheap storytelling.
Old 2008-11-09, 11:27   Link #866
DragonBladeX
Kancolle love!

Got an idea after reading someone's comment's on the Random Curiousity Blog. Credits go to a cclragnarok.

Spoiler for Workings of the St. George Sanctuary:

The long exposition is not easily forgiven, although the lampshading did make it somehow better.
Old 2008-11-09, 12:21   Link #867
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

This is why the people who don't read the manga will have the most enjoyment. All the complaining so far seems to come from manga readers. You guys should just acknowledge that the anime will serve a different purpose and enjoy it for what it is instead of comparing it to the manga.

I really liked this episode a lot.
Old 2008-11-09, 12:42   Link #868
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
This is why the people who don't read the manga will have the most enjoyment. All the complaining so far seems to come from manga readers. You guys should just acknowledge that the anime will serve a different purpose and enjoy it for what it is instead of comparing it to the manga.
There's no difference in purpose, just difference in how it was adapted. Let us compare the two mediums if we want to; this is a forum.

Quote:
You'd like to be the main characters in the story, too, right? Quit being content staying a side character! [...] Quit getting depressed in this kinda long prologue!

That poor satellite. Seemed kinda random. I hope Konoe had good insurance.

The doctor knowing all about the Imagine Breaker confused me. And if he knew (and told) Touma that much, why didn't Touma seem to be aware what his name was?

Ominous discussion by Mr. Floating Upside Down For Lulz. So the Powers That Be do know about Touma's power...
Old 2008-11-09, 12:50   Link #869
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

I really liked this episode a lot.
Not really. Not here, but from comments of other people who have only watched the anime, they have pretty much the same thought. Besides, it doesn't take a comparison to find the never-ending room funny or the feather scene to be lame.
Besides, like Kannagi. It follows the manga, I've read the manga, I find it incredibly interesting. Doesn't change for this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
That poor satellite. Seemed kinda random. I hope Konoe had good insurance.

The doctor knowing all about the Imagine Breaker confused me. And if he knew (and told) Touma that much, why didn't Touma seem to be aware what his name was?
Actually, you should keep the satellite in mind. It'll be of importance later.

Yet another thing to find out... in season 2?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-11-09, 13:48   Link #870
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Yes, I find it weird that some people assume that following manga would make it too boring and predictable.

Lets say Kannagi follows manga very closely and is , for me, the best show of the season and very interesting and well done despite it following manga closely.

One doesn't have to follow original material to be good but as a rule original author skills > scriptwriter skills , Following it closely you have to depend more on the original author skills while not doing that you have to rely on other people who usually have lesser skills to offer.

orion, you still keep on whining about manga whiners as I see. Yet some people complain about it even without reading manga. This is a forum, open for a discussion, rather than anime worship board. Let everyone have their opinion.
Old 2008-11-09, 14:02   Link #871
rg4619

In this case, original author skill isn't exactly commendable. I don't think the appeal of this is too different from the Fate/Stay Night visual novel (horribly written, which compels you to skip text and/or mock the author as you read). There's a ton of exposition, questionable pacing, and B quality melodrama, but watching the show remains a blast.
Old 2008-11-09, 14:14   Link #872
Fimbulvetr

Just to prove someone else's point, I didn't read the manga and I still found everything after the second episode pretty lame, including this last one where I was hoping at least that last fight would be nice to watch. How wrong I was..
Old 2008-11-09, 14:21   Link #873
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

too much talking. and i could have sworn all the bones in his hand broke too.
then
Spoiler:
initially i believed that it had happened and i was like, thats a good turn of events, then they reversed it, and i was like, thats lame as heck. then they were like, it actually did happen. and i was like, wow, thats just lame now.
Old 2008-11-09, 14:55   Link #874
Mentar
Banned

I think orion has a point though. It certainly doesn't help when you know what's going to happen and why - since it will take the interesting new aspects out of the exposition, and this makes things feel quite wordy. If on the other hand you don't know about all of this, time passes much faster.

As for the rest - we have alot of whining on a very high level ... meaning that if the show is oh so boring, why are you still wasting your time here? The already pretty high download numbers (around Shana S2 level) continue to grow, so more new people give it a try than old viewers drop it. In my eyes, while the weak points do exist and are annoying, overall it's still a very solid non-episodic show. And I'm definitely looking forward to the "new" eps, because volume 2 was not released as manga.
Old 2008-11-09, 15:27   Link #875
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

I wonder if Touma's going to get any salary/benefits for helping out with this next case, or if he's going to risk his life for the sake of heroic stupidity.
Old 2008-11-09, 15:34   Link #876
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
As for the rest - we have alot of whining on a very high level ... meaning that if the show is oh so boring, why are you still wasting your time here?
If whining is annoying, what does that make the people who whine about whining, I wonder, hmm?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-11-09, 15:45   Link #877
Molenir

I just knew it was going to come to this. Someone always likes to throw the old "If you don't like it, why watch" line out.

I'm enjoying the show. It certainly isn't the greatest show out there, but overall I'm enjoying it. I come here to express my opinion about the show, and some episodes are worse then others. Even if overall a show is good, individual parts may not be. This is where I come to vent about the bad parts, and if you don't like it, feel free to not read my posts. (Had to toss the common response in there somehow.)

Episode 6 was rather long and boring. The fight was a disappointment. Particularly the running in place forever. I did like the hospital scene, but could understand why others wouldn't. Still liking the show overall, just not this latest episode.
Old 2008-11-09, 15:46   Link #878
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah i found the fourth wall comment rather amusing.

Spoiler for episode 06:

& yeah, i thought of D.Gray-man when i heard a certain name and the word 'vampire' being used.
Spoiler for Ep6:
Old 2008-11-09, 15:53   Link #879
msuwildog80

Hmm this episode was pretty interesting... I am not sure how I feel about this series.

When it first came out, I was beyond excited. But out of the 6 episodes, I find myself fastforwarding in 5 of the episodes. The pace is ridiculusly slow, and I wonder if we will ever get anywhere near the current story in the novels.. or if thats the goal at all.

Either way, something to watch and read once a week. Not too big of a fan tho... and I really like Index and Mikoto too.
Old 2008-11-09, 16:14   Link #880
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
If whining is annoying, what does that make the people who whine about whining, I wonder, hmm?
Wondering why the whiners are still watching maybe.

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen