Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-11-14, 02:36   Link #341
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Batman's been done to death. I'm just disappointed that Avenger's: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has gotten such an unceremonious ending. They still had another season or two worth of good storylines to animate.
Well as long as people remain interested in Batman and not interested in DC's other properties, Warner Bros. is going to keep doing what works. Screw taking chances.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 12:14   Link #342
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Well, this past Sunday marked the end of Disney's Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (in the US at least). Technically, there will be pseudo sequels in Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. (both of which will appear in the summer of 2013 along with Ultimate Spider-man), but without Christopher Yost I am unsure what to expect (Paul Dini will work on the Hulk series, so I can expect something interesting there at least).

Still, let's have a moment of silence for quite possibly the best animated Marvel television show yet...okay, the moment is over. Continue with your days .
Meh, I don't want to write it off before seeing it, but I can't call Avengers Assemble a psuedo-sequel... If it were, I'd be much happier (I guess if we want to get semantical, psuedo could mean all kinds of things, lol, but yeah). Hulk series looks pretty weird, but Paul Dini has put out great work in the past, so I'll keep an open mind.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes might be my favorite non-nostalgia-tinted superhero series of all time (Batman TAS is still the greater product, but damn EMH was a fun show to watch). Really loved the Kree arc and Thor's single-handed ownage of the army and Supreme Intelligence... "Your army was found... wanting, foul creature!" Makes me feel like a kid again watching that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Well as long as people remain interested in Batman and not interested in DC's other properties, Warner Bros. is going to keep doing what works. Screw taking chances.
I can understand it somewhat, Batman is definitely their best character, but based on the good reception Justice League got a few years back, you'd think they'd try out one of their other heroes for a solo spot by now. Oh well, typical exec. decision making in the entertainment industry.

Last edited by ChainLegacy; 2012-11-14 at 13:38.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 14:08   Link #343
jdennis007

Why all the DC bashing, Marvel has done the same thing with Spiderman, every few years there is another Spiderman cartoon.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 14:57   Link #344
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
Why all the DC bashing, Marvel has done the same thing with Spiderman, every few years there is another Spiderman cartoon.
For my part, I love DC's TV series'. Young Justice is prolly one of the best animated series in a cool minute. And their direct to home media features are great. I even enjoy Green Lantern from time to time. (or as a palate cleanser before Clone Wars) But Batman/Superman TAS and to a lesser extent Batman Beyond, JL/JLU, and Teen Titans(tho not part of the Timmverse) were like the golden age for me I don't think DC is capable of creating a series to top any of them.

I hope Beware is good but when they pulled new YJ episodes until Jan. I started to get second thoughts. Anyway in short Marvel is much more consistent in their quality and seems willing to try new things(a HULK show?! The B grade heroes in Ultimate Spiderman?)
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 15:23   Link #345
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I remeber there being a few Marvel cartoons on TV around the same time as the Timmverse DC materials. X-Men, Spiderman, and I think a Hulk and later Hulk/She-Hulk show, and a version of The Avengers. There might have been another, but I don't remember. I watched the Spiderman and X-men fairly regularly until it switched to the alternate universe Ultimate Spiderman series. But I kept up with the Timmverse series more until they changed to the Cartoon Network (which we didn't get at that time). I rewatched JL/JLU later when I found out they made more after Batman/Superman ended.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold was a little silly, but it did showcase a lot of C and D grade heros/villans. It also made Auqaman cool in an over the top cheesy way. Though the Timmverse Auqaman was something of a badass, he wasn't around all that much. Brave and the Bold was campy, but took some more serious tones than say the Adam West Batman of the 1960s or the Superfriends series. Namely that sometimes people die, and others have to deal with it afterwards.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-11-14 at 15:33.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 15:29   Link #346
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
I'm unclear where you're getting the idea that anyone is bashing DC. They have made the most quality animated features and series well exceeding anything from Marvel Animation (imho). Even in terms of live action adaptation, I expect many would agree that DC has had the most quality productions (maybe not the best, but definitely the most).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 08:17   Link #347
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I like DC cartoons and both of the ones I've been following at present are great. I do feel they overdo Batman a bit which limits their ability to explore other heroes. Nonetheless, I've really liked Young Justice...

Spoiler for newest ep that got pulled from CN:

Green Lantern was a completely unexpected fun choice; it's more lighthearted I feel, but the 3D animation always works well for the setting and the animation of the power rings (in my opinion) and I really liked the initial story arc. Again, the episode they pulled recently from Cartoon Network was really fun to watch with a really weird and funny cameo/easter egg of Nigel Thornberry from that goofy cartoon The Wild Thornberries.

DC has put out better animation over the years, but there's also been some great shows from Marvel. Some of my favorites are 90's X-men, 90's Spiderman, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avenger's: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I think EMH is the most fun superhero animation I've ever seen, but that's mainly because I really like some of those characters (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther are all great) even more than the ones on DC's Justice League, which I will say was also extremely enjoyable and definitely the more polished product, regardless of my personal preference.
Old 2012-11-15, 10:43   Link #348
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I remeber there being a few Marvel cartoons on TV around the same time as the Timmverse DC materials. X-Men, Spiderman, and I think a Hulk and later Hulk/She-Hulk show, and a version of The Avengers. There might have been another, but I don't remember. I watched the Spiderman and X-men fairly regularly until it switched to the alternate universe Ultimate Spiderman series. But I kept up with the Timmverse series more until they changed to the Cartoon Network (which we didn't get at that time). I rewatched JL/JLU later when I found out they made more after Batman/Superman ended.

Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 21:37   Link #349
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Anyone still following Young Justice or Green Lantern? They both got cancelled for next season, but I've enjoyed them pretty thoroughly and will be sad to see them go. I'm not saying they've been perfect; some episodes were hiccups, but I can't help but feel Cartoon Network doomed these series from the start with the terrible airing schedules, hiatuses, etc. On a related note, I kind of wish they'd drop the pretense of superhero shows being for kids and tying in so heavily to toy sales. Target them towards teens and adults and have your marketing and ad spaces reflect that.

Anyways, YJ plotline is coming together very, very rapidly now (I'm guessing because of the looming cancellation)... but some things I've really enjoyed:

Spoiler:
Old 2013-03-03, 22:21   Link #350
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I've long since fallen behind on YJ, but I do plan to catch up with it sometime soon.

Green Lantern though, I had been in love with. I came for Bruce Timm, stayed for the cast and the characterization. Well be very sad to see it go.

Quote:
I can't help but feel Cartoon Network doomed these series from the start with the terrible airing schedules, hiatuses, etc.
Without a doubt, that was the thing that killed both shows from managing to be stable. I still remember how on Ask Greg he kept on mentioning how even though they were well ahead of schedule, the problems with the delays were making everyone nervous and unsure of what was going on.
Quote:
On a related note, I kind of wish they'd drop the pretense of superhero shows being for kids and tying in so heavily to toy sales. Target them towards teens and adults and have your marketing and ad spaces reflect that.
Alas, such a tactic wouldn't work since they wouldn't be able to make as much money (if any) due to cutting out merchandise and how much of a lucrative market kids entertainment is compared to adult's, esp. in the animated outlet in the West.

And I don't mind it being targeted towards kids honestly. The key thing here is having a decent script and an engaging storyline. SO long you have the quality set, everything else will follow.
Old 2013-03-03, 23:15   Link #351
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Green Lantern though, I had been in love with. I came for Bruce Timm, stayed for the cast and the characterization. Well be very sad to see it go.
It's been a surprise for me how much I enjoy the series. The latest episode was really cool with the appearance of

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Alas, such a tactic wouldn't work since they wouldn't be able to make as much money (if any) due to cutting out merchandise and how much of a lucrative market kids entertainment is compared to adult's, esp. in the animated outlet in the West.

And I don't mind it being targeted towards kids honestly. The key thing here is having a decent script and an engaging storyline. SO long you have the quality set, everything else will follow.
I get what you mean, but do kids really watch superhero shows nowadays? It feels like they aren't as popular with children as they once were. I don't mind them being targeted towards kids either, but from what I see of the new Teen Titans, and what I saw with Ultimate Spiderman replacing Spectacular Spiderman, I can't help but be frustrated when it looks like they're dumbing down great shows to appeal more to children (this could also be related to the cancelling of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, too... They want to 'tie in' more to the movie plot.. ugh I could rant about how frustrating that is to me, I loved that show). Not to judge the new Teen Titans prematurely, of course, but I don't like what I've heard about it thus far...
Old 2013-03-16, 13:08   Link #352
james0246

Decent conclusions to both series. Green Lantern definitely felt more climatic (can't get much more climatic than staring at the hand of the Presence during the moment of creation) even if a little schmaltzy, but I can't help but be impressed with Young Justice's overall season even if the ending was a little forced.

edit: I'm going to say this, I think Aya and Razer just might be the best animated-only characters in DC television history. A lot of time and patience was spent fleshing out these characters, and their romance is easily one of the better animated romances I've seen (it's also a pretty decent DC romance). I'm kind of hoping that they show up in the New 52 somewhere.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-03-17 at 10:38.
Old 2013-03-17, 11:59   Link #353
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Sad to see them go, but yeah, nice endings to both... Really wish I could have seen the partnership between

Spoiler for young justice:

I agree about Razer and Aya, especially Razer. He was possibly the best character on the show, actually.
Old 2013-09-10, 05:36   Link #354
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Batwoman Can't Marry, Says DC Pub, Because Heroes Can't Be Happy

Wow DC. Just........(leaves)
Old 2013-09-11, 09:25   Link #355
Blackbeard D. Kuma

DC's upcoming animated feature film will be titled "Justice League: War". It's their first animated feature to be based on the new 52 universe. Here's a sneak peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLonnR5rw0Q
Old 2013-09-11, 10:44   Link #356
james0246

The recent Flashpoint film was pretty damn good. One of the few non-Batman/Superman films released by DC Animation, Flashpoint expertly covers its source material while provide a fun hour plus of entertainment.

In other news, the recent crop of Marvel animations have failed quite spectacularly. Avengers Assemble has some awful animation, poor writing, and generally bad pacing, but there is some semi-decent voice acting and the stories themselves are not bad. Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., though, is a complete failure on nearly every level. Bad writing, bad directing, pretty damn bad voice acting, horrendous animation, etc. To go from the great Earth's Mightiest Heroes to this dreck in under a year is almost mind-boggling.
Old 2013-09-12, 08:40   Link #357
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The recent Flashpoint film was pretty damn good. One of the few non-Batman/Superman films released by DC Animation, Flashpoint expertly covers its source material while provide a fun hour plus of entertainment.

In other news, the recent crop of Marvel animations have failed quite spectacularly. Avengers Assemble has some awful animation, poor writing, and generally bad pacing, but there is some semi-decent voice acting and the stories themselves are not bad. Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., though, is a complete failure on nearly every level. Bad writing, bad directing, pretty damn bad voice acting, horrendous animation, etc. To go from the great Earth's Mightiest Heroes to this dreck in under a year is almost mind-boggling.
How the hell can they justify this switch... Doesn't look like they're saving any money and everything is just flat out worse. If we want some anecdotal input from the kid population, my little brother is 10 and he loved Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Quite obviously, teenage and adult fans will prefer Earth's Mightiest Heroes... SO WHY DO THIS???

For the DC side of things, I liked Flashpoint too and Beware the Batman has been pretty cool. Kind of slow and the animation is weird, but still fun.
Old 2013-09-12, 18:07   Link #358
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Marvel doesn't seem to care very much about their animated features. While they may be ahead in the live-action movie department, DC blows them away when it comes to animated adaptations. There's really no comparison.
Old 2013-09-13, 21:23   Link #359
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Marvel doesn't seem to care very much about their animated features. While they may be ahead in the live-action movie department, DC blows them away when it comes to animated adaptations. There's really no comparison.
Marvel was doing pretty well with Spectacular Spiderman and Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They were both really fun and well written shows. Maybe not up to par with the DCAU, but not too far off. They just decided they wanted to downgrade themselves into terribad territory, I guess...
Old 2013-09-13, 22:05   Link #360
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Marvel was doing pretty well with Spectacular Spiderman and Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They were both really fun and well written shows. Maybe not up to par with the DCAU, but not too far off. They just decided they wanted to downgrade themselves into terribad territory, I guess...
I saw Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 1 and it was a very good start. Why they decided to stop it abruptly at season 2 is unbeknownst to me. I'd say that Marvel's best animated work is the 90s Xmen series, Xmen Evolution, and Earth's Mightiest Heroes (I haven't seen Spectacular Spiderman so I can't comment on that). Although these shows are good, they don't quite measure up to the best the DCAU has to offer. That being said, I agree entirely with your assessment. It's a pity because Marvel has a ton of great source material to work with, but their execution is usually terrible in animated features.