AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-09-27, 18:58   Link #1041
Jaden

Didn't have to wait long for the debunk: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....sponse-yan.pdf

Answers all my questions to satisfaction, and has many more nitpicks and alternate hypotheses besides. I'm happy with how they stuck to the science instead of going for character assassination.
Old 2020-10-02, 00:34   Link #1042
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Trump's aide Hope Hicks has the virus. And Trump and his wife have it too.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 00:41   Link #1043
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Or they say they do. This can only help him politically so who knows.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 01:53   Link #1044
monir
cho~ kakkoii

monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 02:05   Link #1045
James Rye

So the 2nd debate between Trump and Biden will either be pushed back or be cancelled since they have to stay in quarantine for two weeks.
Old 2020-10-02, 03:12   Link #1046
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Four and a half weeks to the election.
Old 2020-10-02, 08:33   Link #1047
The Green One

Surprised it took him this long to get it.

Apparently Biden's test came up negative.

Last edited by The Green One; 2020-10-02 at 11:29.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 18:02   Link #1048
Jaden

So this is the stuff Trump is taking.

Seems pretty safe, complications from antibody therapies are negligible compared to standard drugs. And if done right, it's very effective.

The problem is, it's pretty high-tech, and takes a lot of resources to design and produce, and scaling up production is also a big challenge. That's why antibody therapies have mostly been used on cancer until now - the thing needs to make a lot of money to recoup the heavy investments, and there's usually little money to be made from curing infectious disease.

Thanks to the pressure from this pandemic, companies have now had the funding to make these therapies for COVID. But even then, it's difficult, since every time an antibody is changed or added to the mix, they need new patents, new clinical trials, new FDA approval..

In an ideal world, these therapies could make for a system to automatically generate cures for new infectious diseases. Just need to sequence the B-Cell genes from a recovered patient, have a computer sort them out, do some gene transfer magic, and finally some mechanized bio reactor cranks out the antibodies. The experience from this pandemic might be a stepping stone towards that.

Last edited by Jaden; 2020-10-02 at 18:13.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-04, 14:35   Link #1049
Jaden

Some individuals have pre-existing immunity to SARS-CoV2.

That's been speculated well before, but direct evidence has now been produced.
Old 2020-10-04, 15:18   Link #1050
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

It also could be said that some people have preexisting weakness to the disease:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...id-19-patients

Where I live, deaths by covid19 of people with no pre-existing conditions (old age is not considered one) is about 20%.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 21:47   Link #1051
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I guess the Republicans and Trump's staff do enjoy that kool aid.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 15:48   Link #1052
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Covid-19 and Public Health: A Message from Crash Course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4rcv3p7AYg

Hopefully, this might helpat least someone.
Old 2020-10-21, 03:28   Link #1053
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
It also could be said that some people have preexisting weakness to the disease:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...id-19-patients

Where I live, deaths by covid19 of people with no pre-existing conditions (old age is not considered one) is about 20%.
I've actually been hearing another version that has some... rather damning consequences, I think.

Around the beginning, I think there was a question of if blood types have any effect on the virus. Turns out, there's more substantial evidence of this. Basically, while ANYONE can still get Covid, it turns out that those with A or AB type blood are going to experience worse symptoms than someone with O type blood.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 07:04   Link #1054
Key Board
Carbon

That needs more peer review. I am skeptical

AB has No antibodies
O has both antibodies for A and B antigen
I don’t know why A is more at risk than B

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 15:47   Link #1055
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
That needs more peer review. I am skeptical

AB has No antibodies
O has both antibodies for A and B antigen
I don’t know why A is more at risk than B

//
I am curious about that but I think than it might be possible, blood type is said to have a impact with malaria so it's still a possibility.
Old 2020-10-26, 08:34   Link #1056
The Green One

Well Trump has apparently admitted that they give up on controlling Covid. They apparently are just going to pray a vaccine eventually appears. Oh but he still wants you to vote for him anyway. Because he's like an amazing leader or something.

"We are not going to control the pandemic. We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigation areas," is what White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said. Way to go Trump administration. Way to go.

It's called sarcasm for a reason folks.
Old 2020-10-26, 10:11   Link #1057
Jaden

Bit old, but the WHO estimates that around 10% of humans have been infected.

Some places like China and Korea seem to have it under control, but the cost of that control is eternal vigilance, until hopefully somehow the virus is eliminated in the rest of the world. It's not clear to me, even from a public health perspective, which side of that "fence" I would like to be on.

If leaders like Trump admitted sooner that there was no intention of controlling Covid, they could have managed expectations, and it might even have played out better for them politically (Sweden model). Being indecisive is always the worst.
Old 2020-10-26, 13:21   Link #1058
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
until hopefully somehow the virus is eliminated in the rest of the world.
erm, how exactly? The virus is also known to infect animals. Not a whole lot among cats, dogs, tigers and even lions but I doubt enough were even tested for it. Minks so far had been culled in numbers more than a million in Spain and Netherlands months ago. Denmark has been hit by it too and they plan on culling 2.5 million of them. The fact remains that it has reached remote parts of forests infecting people far removed from society and one can't simply just sanitize or fumigate everywhere. The virus will continue to live on through some form of hosts for years, possibly decades or forever like the bubonic plague. A vaccine wouldn't bring back the world to pre-coronavirus days, people need to realize those days are gone for good.
Old 2020-10-26, 13:36   Link #1059
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Bit old, but the WHO estimates that around 10% of humans have been infected.
I do not have the links to the studies made about the place I live in, but the estimates range from 26% to 56% ~ 63% of the local population has been infected (so far). ATM we seem to be on a light surge, which is troubling because hospital beds are starting to fill fast and tomorrow is the first day of autumn where we expect temperatures below 10ºC so this could get ugly in the weeks to come. The good news, we get free influenza vaccine shots, the bad news is that we have 1.5M doses for ~5M habitants, supposedly only those vulnerable are getting them, but politicians & the news media have already gotten their shots (regardless of age).

So far only one relative (he lived nearby) I know of has died (he was in his 70s) of covid19, which is kind of a miracle considering how extended the branches of my family are. One neighbor recently died of a heart attack, but can't be sure since I doubt they tested him for covid19 after his death. I suppose this is the part where I say "When this is all over I hope to (fill the blanK)" >_<
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-26, 18:40   Link #1060
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Well Trump has apparently admitted that they give up on controlling Covid. They apparently are just going to pray a vaccine eventually appears. Oh but he still wants you to vote for him anyway. Because he's like an amazing leader or something.

"We are not going to control the pandemic. We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigation areas," is what White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said. Way to go Trump administration. Way to go.

It's called sarcasm for a reason folks.
I'm pretty sure the people that are still voting for Trump wouldn't care what anyone said at this point, so in that way, the guy has nothing to lose. He could probably say he will help spread COVID-19 if he gets voted in again, and they still would vote because...
I don't know. Umm... Because the media is evil and everyone is plotting against him... or something?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote