AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 18:07   Link #61
Somnus
Eh?

I enjoy this manga, so I was looking forward to the show. Being honest, I'm somewhat indifferent about the first episode, and I don't really think it needed the tennis match at the beginning. That said, I'm in this for the long haul either way since it's fun to see the manga animated (and the OP somewhat surprised me with all the characters included).
Old 2014-04-06, 18:35   Link #62
Tenzen12

That's funny, I am completely opposite. I enjoy manga enough so I didn't hold any expectation for adaptation (one medium is enough for me in most time), but first episode was fun and I might actualy give it a shot.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 19:06   Link #63
SinsI

Haven't read the manga. First episode was pretty good; it looks like I now have one more new sports anime to look forward to weekly.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 21:23   Link #64
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I like that the main character is already shown to be talented (academically). He's still got the potential to be a bit of an underdog because of his lack of experience, but his dedication and work ethic have already been established in another area, so it will lend some credibility towards acting that way with tennis.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 21:29   Link #65
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

The only yhing bothering trhough the whole episode were character desings... I don't know why exactly, but it does... on the plot itself, I think it's gonna be a good ride, even though I can already tell the romance side of it won't be any good, the history of this straight A student with less stamina than a grade schooler to become a good enough tennis player to play on a national tournament should be really good.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 22:01   Link #66
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaouji View Post
Okay, first things first, why does a guy, who's got a severe case of OCD and is an honor student, have spiky hair that you'd expect a delinquent to sport? His hair alone pretty much rejects and is at odds with his entire personality not to mention it's very distracting.
Preppy kids don't wear faux-hawks in Japan?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 22:44   Link #67
Kazu-kun

The first half was boring as hell. It only got interesting when the girl revealed she wants to be a pro. But that's the problem. What I got excited about is the potential story of the girl trying to go pro, and I can tell the series won't focus on that at all. And frankly, I just couldn't care less about Boring-kun and his shenanigans.

I'll give it a few more episodes but I'll probably drop it sooner than later.
Old 2014-04-07, 03:15   Link #68
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Kinda boring to be honest, but certainly not as bad as the volleyball one for me. I can give this a chance.

Thing that bugs me the most is that the animation is pretty much stand still until you get to the play portions, where it's magnificent. It's very jarring to my eyes.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 09:58   Link #69
Uribatake

What gives me confidence about this show is the fact that it's on NHK, which means the usual rules don't apply to it, so there's a chance that it could run for many seasons even if the DVDs and BDs don't sell well. And as a big sports anime fan, nothing frustrates me more than long-running manga series getting short adaptations with unsatisfying endings (Area no Kishi, I'm looking at you).
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 10:48   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think the good thing with the MC is the potential. While obviously need to be smart reach that top spot, that level of obsessive hard work can really be applied anywhere. Nice because it does make sense to me. The power of repetition and practice is pretty easy to see in action, just a question of being able to bring yourself to put in that work.
Old 2014-04-07, 17:29   Link #71
MCAL

Always a good thing when you can already see what makes this very popular by the first episode. Very enjoyable start with likable characters too.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 20:08   Link #72
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Kinda boring to be honest, but certainly not as bad as the volleyball one for me. I can give this a chance.
Yes, keep watching! Though I suggest you marathon it, it's much more enjoyable this way on most anime, but it is even more for BS.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 21:16   Link #73
yellowscarves

I liked it. It's obvious where the bulk of the budget is going, and for a series that excels at capturing realistic tennis, I wouldn't have it any other way.
yellowscarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 01:32   Link #74
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I'm impressed by the quality of the first episode. I'm not quite a regular follower of tennis, but I've watched my share of high profile matches to appreciate the game itself. I haven't read the manga yet, but probably will when given time - in my case, it was the same thing for a number of series before this, lol.

Whoever animated the OP had a very brilliant idea by showing the objective of playing in the All-England Club (Wimbledon). It's by far favorite tournament.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 21:25   Link #75
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well its not to bad but it seem slow and the MC seems like he should play an indoor game like chess or shogi maybe even go
Old 2014-04-09, 22:28   Link #76
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I play tennis, so I like this.

The MC is good like he should be given what he's doing.

I want to point out Inui from POT was way too ridiculous to be realistic at all.

I loved episode 1, 10/10 so I tried reading the manga. This one is amazing!

I really like it. This show is a keeper for me. I love tennis, so I think this is the first good tennis anime I might have seen.

POT derails tennis a bit... so I like this. I mean I like both... but this is way better IMO.

Anyway, I like the solid tennis strokes they showed in the opening. It's real tennis strokes. This makes this really good. The romance aspect is good too.

This will probably be my favorite show this season just because of the personal connection. How nice!
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 06:24   Link #77
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quality is still all over the place (Kageyama being like, the most consistently well drawn character is )

Some glimpses of original content already.
Old 2014-04-13, 07:28   Link #78
hamazura
whatever

i decided to give this anime chance by... reading the manga, and actually its really good, i take back what i said before about book worm mc shit or anything.

seems like kagami from kuroko no basket decide to play tennis
same face, same character, same hair, same expression, same genius-ness, and... yeah they are same in all thing. kagami's twin brother
Old 2014-04-13, 09:49   Link #79
yellowscarves

Good to see they're continuing with episode 1's pacing despite the number of episodes green-lit. The one thing that really drags it down though is the inconsistency in art and animation, which is really starting to remind of everything Studio Pierott's ever laid hands on.
yellowscarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 10:47   Link #80
HandofFate

The before credits scenes was kind of jarring, it felt like I started episode 3, and missed an entire episode of something happening, but its just some unknown days after episode 1.

Rest of the episode was alrite.
Natsu was funny in how dense(?) or oblivious on how to handle a total beginner. And it clashes well with the MC well, since it seems Natsu is a more instinct based player, based on her example "hit like this, and whoosh"

While the MC is more metric logical and date focused.

Animation was kind on a seasaw.
It looks like everyone in the show have wigs on for hairstyles.

Tags
shounen, sports, tennis