AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-31, 08:55   Link #61
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

Its like watching a show with you feeling to scream out "WTF" all the time, thats what I did when watching

There's alot of tense moment and
funny (in the beginning, not much during the epic last arc)

And the story just keep getting more and more interesting when you think its the best GAINAX can do.

I don't think its overrated
Well since guys are the majority when watching anime, I dont think girls will like it THAT much, but somehow it will still be entertaining as the love story is not bad too
Old 2007-10-31, 10:35   Link #62
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

^^ Except that technically both the main love lines end up failed...
Old 2007-11-02, 16:56   Link #63
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

The women in my club love it. They only come so they can watch. XD.
Old 2007-11-03, 14:18   Link #64
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

Maybe they love the GARlock
Old 2007-11-04, 15:49   Link #65
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Well, Kamina is a frequent focus of attention, but even younger Simon gets love.

They haven't yet met STARlock or GARlock, save for the opening minutes of the first episode. We just finished 15 yesterday and people were dying of joygasms. Heh.
Old 2007-11-11, 04:35   Link #66
kimchipride
Geass User

One of the best anime ever known to man. Inspiring, great artwork, great characters, great ending. Everything was awesome.
Old 2007-11-12, 17:06   Link #67
Elandyll

I'm going to wait until I have seen all the episodes (currently ep. 11) before voting, but I find this show vastly overrated so far (and I say this as a long time fan of Grandizer / Mazinger and all kinds of Mecha/ Robot shows).

When I saw all kinds of people literally in awe about GL, I was hoping something possibly as good as Eureka 7 or maybe even (sacrilege) Gundam 0083, but quickly realized that Gainax was aiming for the "silly"/ kiddy side of Mechas (pokemon meets Grandizer), and I guess it really didn't do it for me.

Not even on par with Nadesico or FMP/Tsr so far :/ Sad, coming from Gainax.
Ah wel, hopefully it'll get better.
Old 2007-11-12, 17:17   Link #68
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
I'm going to wait until I have seen all the episodes (currently ep. 11) before voting, but I find this show vastly overrated so far (and I say this as a long time fan of Grandizer / Mazinger and all kinds of Mecha/ Robot shows).

When I saw all kinds of people literally in awe about GL, I was hoping something possibly as good as Eureka 7 or maybe even (sacrilege) Gundam 0083, but quickly realized that Gainax was aiming for the "silly"/ kiddy side of Mechas (pokemon meets Grandizer), and I guess it really didn't do it for me.

Not even on par with Nadesico or FMP/Tsr so far :/ Sad, coming from Gainax.
Ah wel, hopefully it'll get better.
Well it might be kiddy for you but not everyone looking for the all serious kind of anime you know ? A few laugh here and there after a fight is good for me (meh, I like comedy so its perfect to me lol)

Even so, I suggest you don't judge GL first and just enjoy the show till the end. You will never know how it turn out to be in the end don't you
Old 2007-11-18, 18:50   Link #69
tabun
rawr!

A very enjoyable show, and one of the best I have seen to this day. It had it all: action, humor, sex, great emotions - fantastic! And although I like the first half of the series better than the second, as a complete set it's just one hell of a ride!

The only thing I was left unsatisfied with was the ending (oh well, it was just unexpected) and, for the most part, the utter sadness I felt for Yoko in episode 8, just after the romantic kissing scene with Kamina (the hell, of course I am a whore for romance!) had gotten my hopes up for some sort of relationship inside this action driven series. And to see it slightly repeated with the death of Kittan. Thinking of it always cracks me up

Btw, I like the soundtrack, some tracks are among my all time favourites now!

Cheers
Old 2007-11-23, 16:56   Link #70
Ermes Marana

Great show overall, I gave it an 8.

It was a 9 most of the way through, and the ending could have either brought it up to 10 or down to 8. Unfortunately, it went down.

The way Nia died was just so stupid and nonsensical, and the epilogue was just as bad.

Simon could have just given her a new body before she disappeared, but apparently decided to break his promise and give up on everything, letting her disappear and then becoming a wandering hobo the rest of his life, who says he is "nobody". Yeah, saying you are "nobody" is going to inspire people, after all that is how Kamina inspired Simon right?

Extremely out of character, out of the theme of the show, and just makes no sense.
Old 2007-11-23, 19:08   Link #71
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Great show overall, I gave it an 8.

It was a 9 most of the way through, and the ending could have either brought it up to 10 or down to 8. Unfortunately, it went down.

The way Nia died was just so stupid and nonsensical, and the epilogue was just as bad.

Simon could have just given her a new body before she disappeared, but apparently decided to break his promise and give up on everything, letting her disappear and then becoming a wandering hobo the rest of his life, who says he is "nobody". Yeah, saying you are "nobody" is going to inspire people, after all that is how Kamina inspired Simon right?

Extremely out of character, out of the theme of the show, and just makes no sense.
You just didn't get it I'm sorry to say.

Both Simon and Nia had done the impossible at the end of the series. Simon defeated the almost god-like Anti-Spiral and Nia managed to survive till her wedding day instead of wanishing after the Anti-Spiral went down.

Simon didn't become a hobo. He's a wanderer passing on the story of the Dai-Gurren Dan. Besides he states multiple times "I am Simon the Digger.". Nothing more, nothing less. He fullfilled his mission, saved the Earth, saved and married the woman he loved and that was it. He has done his part. He left the younger generation to take care of things.

It's that simple.

Yes, Gurren's dominant theme is "Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!" however it also sport the themes of growing up, sacrifice and overcoming despair.
Old 2007-11-24, 04:25   Link #72
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1988 View Post
You just didn't get it I'm sorry to say.

Both Simon and Nia had done the impossible at the end of the series. Simon defeated the almost god-like Anti-Spiral and Nia managed to survive till her wedding day instead of wanishing after the Anti-Spiral went down.

Simon didn't become a hobo. He's a wanderer passing on the story of the Dai-Gurren Dan. Besides he states multiple times "I am Simon the Digger.". Nothing more, nothing less. He fullfilled his mission, saved the Earth, saved and married the woman he loved and that was it. He has done his part. He left the younger generation to take care of things.

It's that simple.

Yes, Gurren's dominant theme is "Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!" however it also sport the themes of growing up, sacrifice and overcoming despair.

Kamina's death had meaning. There was no meaning to Nia disappearing.

It was just "oh, by the way, everything the AS created has to disappear for some reason."

OK.

And then there is the fact that Simon could have restored her body BEFORE she disappeared.

LordGenome was very worried about Spiral Nemesis, but he still didn't think twice about giving Viral a new immortal body.

Simon couldn't give Nia a mortal body before she disappeared?

And the epilogue, Simon was just too young to spend the rest of his life wandering alone saying he is "nobody". And I didn't think he was inspiring at all. Saying you are "nobody" is not the way Kamina inspired Simon. If I met a guy like old Simon it would depress me, not inspire me. You can say it is what Simon wanted to do with the rest of his life, but if so, then that tarnishes Simon's character to me. Deciding to become a wandering hobo with no name at such an age does not seem right.
Old 2007-11-28, 19:13   Link #73
Elandyll

I've seen the whole of it now, and it's confirmed, at least to me, that it's probably the most over hyped average show of the season if not in years.

Let's get passed the nonsensical absurdities (some could say it's the style of the show in and of itself), kiddy atmosphere (very reminiscent of Mario and Nintendo Games in its design), plain moronic jokes (the Gurren Lagann drill entering the lower end of Dai Gurren in the water as Simon tries to re-emerge, and we have the Gay-Type character "take it down there" at the same time while he is sitting on the floor and going "Oh?"), and let's just say that the show, to me, was just a large amount of up and downs across all 27 episodes.

I won't mention (oops too late) episode 4 that only served to point at very lackluster character and mecha design by having a much more terrible job done on that particular episode (the style gets quite a bit better and more sustained after episode 14 it seemed), but really, to me ,every single mecha design (it is after all a Mech show, albeit a Giant Robot subgenre) were disapointing, including Hyper Galaxy Gurren Lagann.

So let's see - Poor joke and comedy (specially compared with better shows -again imho- like FMP), bad Char and Mech design, what's left? The plot. Ah yes.
Split weirdly into 4 parts, the show goes between super fast forward (I think the final confrontations between the last two Beast lords and Lord Genome take about 5 episodes or less) and super slow, for a pace very uneven up to the end.

The end... first, I know it was meant as a joke, but the fight between the two cosmic sized entities was taken so far and was so absurd (throwing entire galaxies at each others) that I could only stare in disbelief, not even getting a half smile out of me. It was all topped off by the overly gratuitous and absurd death of Nia. She may have had an Anti-Spiral element in her, but her body and mind were "real", having been created by Lord Genome out of Spirale Energy and DNA. I'm all about killing main caracters when it suits the story and creates a powerful emotional impact (e.g. Kamina's death - well done if very overly predictable). But here, it was a MAJOR let down, and almost countrary to the spirit of the series (Believe in yourself, and your drill will pierce the heavens - aka there is nothing you cannot do. Yeah right. Mary the woman you love, and she dies. Right here and there. Isn't it GREAT!! ?)

I gave the show 7/10, because I was in a generous mood. Positive elements? Sure there are some. Some Great fights, Great "Let's do it" team moments.
But it honestly only goes so far...

I guess the show did touch a string though, given the enthusiasm I see here.

/shrug, my opinion on a -imho- VERY over-hyped anime this year.

Last edited by Elandyll; 2007-11-29 at 22:45.
Old 2007-11-29, 03:56   Link #74
yakuri-moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s[H]sIkuA View Post
Its like watching a show with you feeling to scream out "WTF" all the time, thats what I did when watching
You took the EXACT words out of my mouth ^^ Mind you, those WTFs were both good AND bad. The series per se is a big WTF is you think about it XD (for example, like Elandyll said the cosmic battle was disbelieving, a huge WTF) I guess it really depends on what stirs your soul, TTGL does it in a very peculiar way.
Old 2007-12-04, 23:25   Link #75
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I have a kinder opinion on this anime...

Gurren Lagann is a summary of the macha anime from its inception till today.

The story starting with the first segment, where Kamina and Simon first undertake their meteoric rise in the style of the 50s'- 60s',
the lost hero being guided back to face his own humanity in the style of the 70s',
the utter sense of restraints and Machiavellianism in realist approach of the 80s',
and finally, the conclusion which challenge and pierces the Evangelionism by the 90s.

Using the most impractical of drills, the least concern for physics, here is the return to connecting to the audience through humanity. Gurren Lagann is a short, focused look at the macha genre, from mass-produced cannon fodders, larger-than-life persona, black and white with shades of gray to the burning passion of mankind.

It does not explicitly indulge into any one of these period substantially, as it hurries itself from the beginning to the end, and making a connection going from humanity to humanity in the stars being enemies or allies. Ultimately, it may seem to be obvious that human element is what should connect all of the macha anime, but this relatively little gain still takes decades to see... ironic how that a genre started to sell toys has to travel all this way and to see itself in the mirror like this.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-12-09, 16:06   Link #76
Aznbanana

Its one helluva awe inspiring anime and i totally loved it. The concept of never giving up and always believing in something and doing it even if its 0% chance struck a cord in my heart.
Old 2007-12-23, 02:48   Link #77
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Late to the party, but what the hell.

I gave it an 8/10. Would've been a nice and powerful 9 were I a super robot fan. Unfortunately I'm not, so yeah.

The opening of the show was great! I didn't realize that was supposed to be Simon until halfway through the show, but Space Captain Simon fighting entire galaxies' worth of spaceships would've been totally cool. That kind of open ending I want. Instead they gave us some BS about an old wanderer...riiiiight.

It goes without saying that the show is over-the-top by nature. There's manly inspiration and there's ridiculously stupid though. For most of the show it's firmly in the "zomg awesome!" territory and then the last arc just went "okay, that's dumb." I'm willing to give it a break somewhat because it is a super robot show. Personally though, I thought the show would've been much, much better if it keeps at least one foot on the ground so to speak.

The first arc was fun. I actually didn't like Kamina that much (never been a fan of the "mega awesome overpowering dumbass hero" myself) but his death was a really good plot development. I didn't see it coming and I was like, "wow, they're willing to kill the heart of the show! Now that's brave." I also expected a few episodes of overwhelming angst to follow immediately though. No matter how you put it this show is a 2007 show. Major character crisis in 2000's mecha = angst. The adventure style of the arc and the smaller cast overall made it fun. Oh, and I thought the way the mecha was created was really interesting. A dug-up artifact (I can accept that), a stolen ordinary enemy mecha (huh?), and a helmet taken right in the middle of a battle (wtf!?). Well that was entertaining.

The second arc was also just as fun, but in a different way. It gets (slightly) deeper and Simon, who's been overshadowed by "aniki" throughout the first arc, gets his time in the spotlight. The battles went by really fast though! They took a whole 8 episodes to kill one General and then 7 or so to kill the rest of 'em and the King! Nia's entrance was unexpected and interesting. And, well, I haven't seen any anime girls with flowers being permanently imprinted in their eyes before!

Apparently others didn't like the third arc too much. I thought it was excellently done. This is GAINAX when they're not showing fanservice, explosions, and stuff. It gave depth to the world and teenage Simon is kinda hot, if a heterosexual male might say so. :P The betrayal and politics is actually spot on in many ways. The way these guys are marginalized and forced from their ideals by the realities of life mirrors real revolutions: idealistic revolutionaries have to give way to daily life, the fickle masses, and politics, either by dying, by being absorbed into the system, or just plain go home disillusioned. Garibaldi of 1860's Italy suffered the same fate...

Of course, being anime the guys pulled out their awesome powaa and broke out, but you know. It's the thought that counts.

Now the fourth arc...

That was a mess.

That was a ****ing mess.

I know it's super robot and all, and that means overpowering screams and shonen battles with lots of people sacrificing 'n stuff, but jeez. That's not cool, that's not adrenaline-bringing, that's just plain obnoxious and ridiculous. One, two, three transformations? Hah. And the hot young commander somehow turned GAR some time during that arc. Huh? Everybody's dying at random and galaxies themselves are used as weapons. Yeah right! There are bright spots (like Viral's dream; that was rather sweet of him), but it's mostly "BIG CLIMAX ZOMG I DONT MAKE SENS."

After that, the ending also sucked. Where's my awesome space captain? Who's that damn hobo? Did the gay guy age at all!? Is Yoko alone again? And why did they just kill Nia like that anyway? I didn't even feel a thing when she died, while I shed imaginary manly tears for Kamina's death, even though I didn't like him that much in the first place!

From 10 for awesomeness (I do appreciate shonen for what it is, and animation/sound quality is top-notch), the show got a minus 1 for the fourth arc's series of Dragon Ball battles and another minus 1 for the lame epilogue, down to 8. I'll never understand why anime directors feel the need to create a drawn-out ending climax of battles after battles with the big boss, *sigh*.
Old 2007-12-23, 07:56   Link #78
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

As skilled with words as you are with magic, I see. Quite an interesting read there, Jon.
Old 2007-12-23, 08:02   Link #79
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Late to the party, but what the hell.

I gave it an 8/10. Would've been a nice and powerful 9 were I a super robot fan. Unfortunately I'm not, so yeah.
Shortened your msg, but mainly I would like to focus on your disappointment in the final arc.

Just one sentence actually: I guess you couldn't ignore the impossible and kick reason to the curb.

Though I'm glad, someone that's not a mecha fan like you enjoyed the show, its still a shame that you couldn't enjoy the final arc.

The final arc is where Simon really broke through the heavens. The part of the show where everyone was waiting, Simon's true destiny.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2007-12-23, 12:12   Link #80
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Now the fourth arc...

That was a mess.

That was a ****ing mess.

I know it's super robot and all, and that means overpowering screams and shonen battles with lots of people sacrificing 'n stuff, but jeez. That's not cool, that's not adrenaline-bringing, that's just plain obnoxious and ridiculous. One, two, three transformations? Hah. And the hot young commander somehow turned GAR some time during that arc. Huh? Everybody's dying at random and galaxies themselves are used as weapons. Yeah right! There are bright spots (like Viral's dream; that was rather sweet of him), but it's mostly "BIG CLIMAX ZOMG I DONT MAKE SENS."

After that, the ending also sucked. Where's my awesome space captain? Who's that damn hobo? Did the gay guy age at all!? Is Yoko alone again? And why did they just kill Nia like that anyway? I didn't even feel a thing when she died, while I shed imaginary manly tears for Kamina's death, even though I didn't like him that much in the first place!

From 10 for awesomeness (I do appreciate shonen for what it is, and animation/sound quality is top-notch), the show got a minus 1 for the fourth arc's series of Dragon Ball battles and another minus 1 for the lame epilogue, down to 8. I'll never understand why anime directors feel the need to create a drawn-out ending climax of battles after battles with the big boss, *sigh*.
Even if I'm rather able to understand the complain for the badly executed "kill 'em all" on the initial episodes of the fourth arc, I still fail to see how the final battle is even close to being drawn-out, sense-less or just a little "Dragon Ball"-ish. Probably the closer adjectives you could find for your feelings, whenever they fit or not.
Closed Thread