AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-07, 05:20   Link #841
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Argh, I'm not going to get into this, but one important point: I'd say this is not actually the theme of the show, nor it's most central element. As for what it is if not that... I'll let other people speculate, or say more once the show's done.
you also think like me it rare that the main character confessed to the side girl since it not happend in most of the harem animes?
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 05:41   Link #842
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

@symbolism or meta-analysing: It's a bit of a controversal issue for me. I can see the reasons why media like to include incentives to do so, but honestly I horribly fail at it and don't like it generally. That's why you will never see me posting walls of text (no offense intended!). Mashiro-iro may have those subtle hints and all as its main focus, however I'm still glad to enjoy the anime without "bothering" about it. All it did was to give me a reason to read the original source. The umbrella spoiler by relentlessflame for example, is something I would have never, ever realized myself or pay specific attention towards it I'm one of the target group samples who enjoy the entertainment without the urge to speculate and analyze stuff. I always say "I don't have to like a character's action even if it makes perfect sense within the story or within the character's behavior (which I don't try to meta/psycho-analyze).

Anyway:
Spoiler for 10:
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 06:11   Link #843
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Anyway:
Spoiler for 10:
Spoiler for episode 10:
Old 2011-12-07, 10:26   Link #844
vio5555

Quote:
Argh, I'm not going to get into this, but one important point: I'd say this is not actually the theme of the show, nor it's most central element. As for what it is if not that... I'll let other people speculate, or say more once the show's done.
I would definitely say that the show was not focused much if at all on the relationship/coupling business for the first half and more on the general interactions between the characters (coming from different backgrounds along with the controversy of the school merger along with the kitty club needing members) as well as showing us how the characters' personalities are with respect to interacting with other people.

That's partly why Airi is so central; she's the most introspective one in terms of thinking about why the others are motivated to act as they do.

In that sense, this is like True Tears; that was the story of Noe's coming of age more than anything else regardless of the relationship/coupling factor. I got a similar vibe from the first half of this series, and it's continued with how Airi always ends up as a part of the events in one way or another interacting with the others...
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 11:19   Link #845
elior

Spoiler for episode 11 preview:
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 11:35   Link #846
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
Spoiler for episode 11 preview:
Spoiler for spoiler:
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 11:49   Link #847
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
I was saying that more in jest than serious, considering so much of our discussion has been well beyond romance.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 12:11   Link #848
ueXia

LOL, way to get trolled.
Seriously, any girl that continues watching this anime is 50% masochist, am I the only guy watching this? I got totally hooked up when Airi went out of the scenes because "wtf man she's the main heroine, even the OP tells that"

One final thing to say: japanese shoujo and its dumb fatalism, it's like people can't escape their truth of being always heart-broken.
ueXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 12:13   Link #849
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

After reading and reading and reading and reading .. i just finally couldn't resist but to make a acc to join in. I hope ya'll don't mind my broken English and i'd like to first say that half of what i'm saying is usually out of point. Its kinda like a bad habit of mine that i'm a lil ashamed to admit .. so here goes

Spoiler for Episode 10:

Spoiler for About comparisons with Akane-Iro Ni Somaru Saka:

Spoiler for True Tears:

Hey i just noticed!

I looked back at Episode 9 and found this! It's actually not much of a spoiler , but i just thought in case some people still have yet to watched ep9 ..

Spoiler for Episode9 Pic I just had to share ...:

Last edited by xKeir; 2011-12-07 at 13:05. Reason: I just had to share this picture!
xKeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 12:49   Link #850
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
Seriously, any girl that continues watching this anime is 50% masochist, am I the only guy watching this? I got totally hooked up when Airi went out of the scenes because "wtf man she's the main heroine, even the OP tells that"
I think you could make a pretty good argument (as was made above) that Airi still is the "Main Heroine" in the show... but that doesn't mean that she'll "get the guy". But that aside, the OP says a lot of different things and can be interpreted in various ways (for example, in the scene where everyone's running around, Airi is watching everyone, and eventually is able to run off and Miu remains). And yes, the target audience for this show is guys, and most of the people discussing in this thread are guys. The story relies on a lot of shoujo elements, but it's actually a seinen romance show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeir View Post
Spoiler for Episode 10:
Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2011-12-07, 15:02   Link #851
amoirsp

I really usually state small irrelevant stuff but after I did a brief watch of the earlier episodes I just possibly thought this.

Is it just me or in the common route or earlier episodes you had quite a bit of Shingo internal thoughts or small narratives but like in recent episodes that doesn't seem to be the case at all?

Other questions I have are game correlated so I will not inquire here.

Spoiler:
amoirsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 15:17   Link #852
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep 10:
Old 2011-12-07, 17:27   Link #853
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeir View Post
Spoiler for About comparisons with Akane-Iro Ni Somaru Saka:

Spoiler for True Tears:

[/SPOILER]
Spoiler for comparisons to Akane-Iro:

Spoiler for comparison to True Tears:

Alright, I didn't mean to turn this into a massive Mashiro-Iro/Akane-Iro/True Tears comparison thread, so I'll try to keep it to the point.

Back to Mashiro-Iro, I don't think that Shingo had any romantic inclinations in the first 6 episodes. Perhaps you could argue that he was slightly aware of Miu, but he was fairly aware of Airi and his sister as well given the situations that he ended up with them in... I think we're reading too much into the earlier details with the knowledge of what's happened in 7-10 to be making deeper statements than that. Maybe I'm making too big a distinction, but I really think the purpose of the first 6 episodes were to show us his personality and how he goes about fixing problems or helping other people without an ulterior motive.

As for Airi, I think she comes off the best for having met him. As others have mentioned, Miu and Shingo basically have similar personalities in terms of how selfless they tend to be for others. Those two were already at some kind of zen-kindness plane (as well as being relatively unaware of what's going on around them)...

Airi, on the other hand, had built up a lot of walls to protect her from everyone else (especially males); she had this persona of being the school's princess and wouldn't let anyone see her not being perfect. I think she and Sana grow the most from their encounters with him, especially with how Airi can be there for Sana (as relentlessflame mentioned with the umbrella allegory and the rest). Airi's self-perception is shattered relatively early, and now it's happening for Sana as well. They'll both be better off when they fall in love down the road. It's obviously not what a shipper would want to hear, but that's the nature of a story like this which is using the relationship developments for how they affect the characters that are actually undergoing changes in Airi and Sana.
Old 2011-12-07, 17:48   Link #854
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555 View Post

Back to Mashiro-Iro, I don't think that Shingo had any romantic inclinations in the first 6 episodes. Perhaps you could argue that he was slightly aware of Miu, but he was fairly aware of Airi and his sister as well given the situations that he ended up with them in... I think we're reading too much into the earlier details with the knowledge of what's happened in 7-10 to be making deeper statements than that.
I would quite disagree with this part. While I can't speak for anyone but myself, obviously, I found his attraction for Miu to be standing out ever since their first encounter, and I definitely don't agree to the notion of it being comparable to his "blushing moments" with the other girls ... precisely because of them being out-of-ordinary situations. Suffice to say, I don't think him blushing because Miu is near him can really be compared to Shingo blushing when Sakuno and Ange waltzed in on him in the bathroom and managed to lose their towels along the way

While "romantic inclinations" is probably a wee bit too strong of a word for the early episodes, I don't think it can be argued that his reactions towards her weren't different from those towards anyone else in comparable situations. It wasn't really a dead giveaway where he would end up eventually, and they had the groundwork to develop Airi just as well, but there were certainly hints that Miu had caught his eye in a special way.

Given that there were still people who managed to be surprised at the latest developments, or convinced that the anime has taken sudden turns by not going the Airi route, I'd say the problem is the opposite of reading too much in to it - rather, it bears paying more attention to instead. We didn't end up where we are now by chance, the signs have been there all along.
Old 2011-12-07, 17:56   Link #855
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Also people seemed to have forgotten that Miu was the first person that encouraged not to give up on liking the school and pretty much inspired him to improve the bad atmosphere in his class back in episode 2. (Sakuno did also encourage him by acting like normal , but that was slightly later though)
Old 2011-12-07, 17:58   Link #856
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Also people seemed to have forgotten that Miu was the first person that emcouraged not to give up on liking the school and pretty much improving the bad atmosphere in episode 2.
This is true, and it was admittedly one of the things that first made me wonder whether or no her ... umm ... "route" were going to happen, but I confess that I was "diverted" by the mini-arc happening at the time and assumed Airi was going to be the focus of the series. I wonder whether or no there were others who thought the same way?

Again - for me this series ending was one of those things that made sense "in retrospect" for me ... while I was following I thought things would go a different way.
Old 2011-12-07, 18:39   Link #857
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I don't think that Shingo had any romantic inclinations in the first 6 episodes. Perhaps you could argue that he was slightly aware of Miu, but he was fairly aware of Airi and his sister as well given the situations that he ended up with them in... I think we're reading too much into the earlier details with the knowledge of what's happened in 7-10 to be making deeper statements than that.
All I can do here is point to exactly what I said at the time, for whatever it's worth.

Episode 1:
Quote:
Another scene that I thought was well done (even though it's simple) was the introduction to Miu, looking onto the courtyard. Everyone else is noticing and commenting on Pannya (after the comment that "nothing should surprise us anymore"), but it's clear that Shingo's not looking at the pet. Shingo's trance and subsequent reaction was like "oh yeah, there's a pet there too?" Subtle, but good.
Episode 2:
Quote:
The Mio introduction was all sorts of awkward but cute. Though she's a bit innocent/naive (lol at when she gives him a "good look", and then again with the "nadenade" ), Shingo is totally entranced. Note that later on when he, Sakuno, and Hayata see Pannya again they play back to the thing in the first episode where the other two see Pannya (talking about the mysterious creature), and it leads immediately back to Shingo thinking of Miu and blushing.

Edit: One more point I noticed about this -- notice Shingo's reaction when he first sees Pannya, which is like "I think I've seen that before...", but when he notices Miu he immediately remembers "oh, back on that day". Makes it all the more clear.
Episode 3:
Quote:
The other scene that of course bears mentioning is the scene with Miu and the introduction to her club, along with the invitation to join. Miu herself has already welcomed herself into Shingo's circle of friends, and the connection between Miu and Sana is now established. So, they're slowly setting the foundation for more developments going forward. But we have to finish dealing with Airi first.
Episode 4:
Quote:
As one other observation, I think Miu's comment during Shingo's "my weakness" talk was very poignant and well-placed. Here he is explaining to Airi how he forces a smile to try to make peace (which Airi didn't catch on her own), but Miu saw right through it and is worried about him ("I hope Uryuu-kun isn't too tired..." i.e. "I hope he isn't pushing himself too hard..."). It's a stray little comment, but the placement in that short montage (and in that context) is very well-done and actually says a fair bit (about Shingo, about Miu, etc.) in so few words.
Episode 5:
Quote:
The other little thing that is a nice touch. As Shingo walks away from the table (after cleaning up the mess on the table), he glances over to Miu for a split-second with a worried look on his face (because he remembers what happens earlier). And Miu's response, without necessarily noticing that he was worried about her (or even knowing that he knows what's going on) was (roughly) "Uryuu-kun is really observant" or "he really notices things". That itself is good attention to detail by the anime staff; nice parallelism.
Now of course, I don't think we can go all out and say that the ending was certain at this point (of course the writers knew...), but I think Shingo's attraction to Miu and Miu's alignment ("being on the same wavelength") with him are on display in the early episodes too. It was just so much in the background and subtle that it seemed at the time like nothing would come of it (because other characters were dominating the focus back then). Most everybody thought we'd have a Miu arc, but then we'd head back to Airi, so Shingo's attraction to Miu wouldn't amount to anything, even though it was there. Contrary to those expectations, Shingo's attraction to Miu did amount to something, and the time spent with Airi led to another destination. But I would say that Shingo was visibly attracted to Miu from the get-go, which is a bit different than what they showed for the other heroines (he got into situations with them that caused him to notice them, but it wasn't just a natural, spontaneous reaction).
Old 2011-12-07, 18:50   Link #858
vio5555

Yeah, I see what you're saying. All I'm pointing out is that there wasn't anything definitive to the uninitiated viewer even if there were Miu hints.

There were clearly enough Airi hints that we could have backdated an Airi ending if episodes 7-8 had rushed through the Miu plot and then decided to go to an Airi ending. As stated earlier in the thread, episodes 9-10 were going to be the decision fork either way, and they left episodes 1-5 open enough that it could go either way.

In reality, the ending of episode 6 was perhaps the biggest giveaway in that Airi realized that he was just being generally compassionate, not specifically compassionate to her.

I think, if you knew sort of the general aspects of the game (i.e. that there was a Miu route coming after the kitty club) that you could have looked for more information based on how he viewed Miu.

The general viewer that comes into this show with no preconceived notions is far less likely to give the appropriate weight to those hints that they would give at the end of episode 6 when Airi reveals that he isn't specifically interested in her as she was in him (as she thinks he's the only boy that she's felt that way for in episode 3). That's really when I began to think more about what happened in episodes 1-5 that would make Airi think that.

Of course, the Sana-Shingo rumor was really what forced Shingo into action to be reactive to events to get him the pairing that he actually desired.

Last edited by vio5555; 2011-12-07 at 19:15.
Old 2011-12-07, 22:07   Link #859
crazypeter

Actually this will be the truth for the end ~

Spoiler for Bloody End:

Shingo 's confession looked so strange for me, the stimulus and timing seemed far-fetched.

Spoiler for :

I decide to play the game...
Old 2011-12-08, 00:01   Link #860
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I think, if you knew sort of the general aspects of the game (i.e. that there was a Miu route coming after the kitty club) that you could have looked for more information based on how he viewed Miu.

The general viewer that comes into this show with no preconceived notions is far less likely to give the appropriate weight to those hints that they would give at the end of episode 6 when Airi reveals that he isn't specifically interested in her as she was in him (as she thinks he's the only boy that she's felt that way for in episode 3). That's really when I began to think more about what happened in episodes 1-5 that would make Airi think that.
I don't think that being a game player really gave that much of a clearer hint about the way the anime was going to go in the early days, because it was really all up to how the game was going to be adapted. I wouldn't even say that it helped too much with "weighing" the hints, given that we all expected that the anime could find different ways to work things into the plot without following the game as written. The only real advantage game players had was starting in Episode 7, which is basically when the anime committed to a single path; until then the blending possibilities made weighing the hints too difficult to be conclusive (we could only see that doors were being opened, without knowing which would be walked through).

If you're bored and curious, we had a running discussion in the game thread with our speculations about the anime as it went on, which has a few additional things that weren't mentioned in this thread. But yeah, I wouldn't say it helped all that much until we entered the "second half". My first clue was the preview for Episode 7, and my first "bet" on the current path was after Episode 7 was over (which at the time still seemed risky and unexpected to me). Although the support for the current path is all there, they could easily have gone somewhere else with it if they wanted to.

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen