AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

Old 2006-03-06, 22:39   Link #781
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant42
If you still wonder about that .
That 's right. The way to write the character's name in english that Japanese wikipedia used(such as Wirhelmina Carmel , Khamsin Nbh`w , Mathilde Saint-Omer , Bel-Peol , ETC) is come from the Official Guidebook , so you can rely on it's correctitude.
The thing is though, all the other names *make sense* the way they are spelled, including Khamsin Nbh`w, with Khamsin being the name of a weather phenomenon in Arabia and Nbh`w being derived from ancient Egyptian (which didn't have explicit vowels). Wirhelmina doesn't. Besides, if you took it the official way, then you would agree with Mission Clitical and Pararel Universe?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-06, 23:02   Link #782
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
The thing is though, all the other names *make sense* the way they are spelled, including Khamsin Nbh`w, with Khamsin being the name of a weather phenomenon in Arabia and Nbh`w being derived from ancient Egyptian (which didn't have explicit vowels). Wirhelmina doesn't. Besides, if you took it the official way, then you would agree with Mission Clitical and Pararel Universe?
Indeed. To say that the Official Guidebook must be correct just because it's "official" doesn't stand up to history. There have been countless examples of inconsistencies and errors in "official" romanizations on official documents and material - see the recent example of "Erementar Gerad" and the ensuing cleanup in licensing (simply the first example the comes to mind). You certainly wouldn't be wrong to go by the book (it's a position that can be defended), but, in fact, we cannot rely on its correctitude in this matter. Time will tell whether this incorrect spelling is rectified in the R1 DVD release.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 06:21   Link #783
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Actually, about "Wirhelmina" stuff, I don't know much German so I have no idea whether it's grammatically correct or not. However, considering how "Fenrir" is pronounced, "Wirhelmina" is acceptable to me ^^ili
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 07:09   Link #784
LytHka
Banned

Since we're at the official names' topic, I'd use "Marjorie" instead of "Margery" since Marjorie is more common.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:19   Link #785
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I just hope episode 22 is good.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:47   Link #786
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2
I just hope episode 22 is good.
And I just hope that episode 24 is good. If you read this thread, it is pretty much assumed that you want the show to be good.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:56   Link #787
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
Again, I would like to reiterate that fact that "Wirhelmina" is a bastardization of a Japanese to English translation of a name originally taken from the Romantic languages. It doesn't matter what the guidebook says. The translation in general is wrong. The name should(regardless of what they decided to make the "official" spelling) be Wilhelmina, because that's the way the real name is spelled. Wilhelmina is a real German name(the female variant of Wilhelm). Wirhelmina is not.

It's just like taking any other name, like Louis for example, converting it to a Japanese name, and then translating it back as Rouis. Regardless of how they arrived at that translation, the original name was Louis, and the translation obviously is trying to refer to that same name, so it should be spelt Louis.

And just to make the point slightly clearer, there are over 50 different variations of the name Wilhelmina(whether they be alternate spellings, or different names derived from that original name). none of them are spelled Wirhelmina.
Prodigious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 18:26   Link #788
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...Wirhelmina...Wilhelmina...**** it! Who cares? We'll just call her "meido" ...just like Tanaka in the last ep...
Tanaka: What's up with that meido?
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 19:03   Link #789
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
*Ahem* I think you mean "uber-hot meido"
Old 2006-03-07, 21:25   Link #790
Aznhobo

I hate when she puts on her mask though, she looks like some sort of character in cirque du freak
Aznhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 21:37   Link #791
kira_lacusXX
LOVELY☆COMPLEX

reminds me of naruto i think...but the first time i saw the mask i was like....pffff [small snicker] definitely looks good... wilhelmina looks better without it no doubt about it
kira_lacusXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 21:38   Link #792
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznhobo
I hate when she puts on her mask though, she looks like some sort of character in cirque du freak
I'm still of the theory that Tiamat converts Wilhelmina into a female Hakuoro when that happens.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 21:47   Link #793
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

I agree the mask blows. Everyone else has a cool jinki. The tuner guy has that bracelet, Shana's got the amulet, hell even Margery's book isn't all that bad. But Wilhelma's got a damn maid's bonnet that turns into a hideous mask. Why would anyone want to cover up such a lovely face?
Old 2006-03-07, 22:05   Link #794
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigious
Why would anyone want to cover up such a lovely face?
When it comes to being a Flame Haze, i don't think looks are the number one priority.
Old 2006-03-07, 23:27   Link #795
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

I'm not sure, but my observation to Werhelmina not hesitating to kill Yujji is that, way back in the early episodes they said that only flame haze fight the tomogara because they have a bad past and have a reason about it, where as Shana is the ony flame Haze that does not have any issues with the Tomogara, thus she is weak at being a flame haze, and easily falls in love with Yujji which causes her to protect him.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 10:18   Link #796
lavielove

Margery used to turn into the bear when she evloved. Shana turned into half-phoenix when she evolves. I have a question now,where Tiamat reside ? May be I didn't watch carefully, I still didn't notices the place where Tiamat reside.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 12:27   Link #797
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Ep22 has aired.

Summary:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-08, 12:48   Link #798
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Straying from what you all are currently discussing, I want to direct the conversation back to episode 21.

Sincerely, the highlight moment for that episode was when Shana confronted Wilhelmina to protect Yuuji while her resolve still swayed among her Flame Haze duty and her love for him.
Shana could not think of proper reasons to object against Wilhelmina's decision, but thankfully Alastor stepped in to allow Yuuji explain the current situation regarding the leftovers from the festival.

The piano rendition of "Hishoku no Sora", along with both Shana's sorrowful angst and Yuuji resigning to the fact that Shana would always think of him just as a torch, touched me to the point that my tears flowed out.

Even heightened when Shana threw herself into the crossfire and got speared to protect Yuuji, yet Balle Masque succeeds in taking possession of the holder to the Reiji Maigo.

With the changes made from the novels into the anime, I'm more eagerly inclined forward to a bittersweet ending for the outcome. The anime certainly is playing focus about the real identity to the Reiji Maigo and what is its purpose, along with Hecate's ascension to become an eternal being.

If we follow the Shana and Yuuji recovery path......
Spoiler:

One last thing that puzzles me.

At the start of the introduction when Alastor makes the narration, there's a sort of a shining space surrounded by what looks like machine contraptions.

Is that the Reiji Maigo?

I'm bringing this up because in the previous episode, Yuuji and Kazumi were discussing the Reiji Maigo, and the camera does an insight shot of what's hidden within Yuuji and shows that same picture displayed at the beginning of each episode.

Screenshots for episode twenty-two by futaba.
http://dat.2chan.net/18/res/2405258.htm
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 13:05   Link #799
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Ep22 has aired.

Summary:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
One last thing that puzzles me.

At the start of the introduction when Alastor makes the narration, there's a sort of a shining space surrounded by what looks like machine contraptions.

Is that the Reiji Maigo?

I'm bringing this up because in the previous episode, Yuuji and Kazumi were discussing the Reiji Maigo, and the camera does an insight shot of what's hidden within Yuuji and shows that same picture displayed at the beginning of each episode.
I'm also wondering the same thing.Seems like Alastor is the one who understands the most about Reiji Maigo.Just a guess.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 14:12   Link #800
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Well the device is suppose to replenish the torch so being a machine contraption makes sense.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, drama, j.c. staff, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsundere