AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2014-08-01, 11:19   Link #41
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Is this still Toei? If so, then I’ll make sure to keep my expectation low. Why? Look at Sailormoon Crystal. Ugh. Aside from that, we have Saint Seiya Omega season 1 which is a noteworthy revival attempt, but then it goes downhill in season 2 story-wise because the success of S1 made Toei too greedy and torpedoed the story in favor of merchandise-sales. Watching SS Omega S2 is like watching Toei execs saying “Let’s just throw a gazillion new characters & armors into the story so that we have a lot of materials to sell! To hell with the story & characterization!! Just get them to fight!!!”. So yeah, that’s Toei for you.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:25   Link #42
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
The second Tamers movie isn't canon. The staff outright said that, it had no place in the Tamers timeline and its characterization of Ruki was off. The movie was made by a completely different staff that didn't stay in contact with the writers of Tamers. Then they released a few drama CDs that butted it out from canon entirely.

02 only had two timeskips, between Adventure and 02, and between 02 and its epilogue. Also a lot of the plot holes in 02 (daemon corp, dark ocean) were really second and third half of 02, that was thrown out because the producer didn't like them. This is actually a part of an ongoing 15 anniversary bash for Adventure, and so far there has been no mention of 02, and the fact that they are advertising this as a sequel to specifically Digimon Adventure and not 02 is telling. So I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

At this point in time a complete reboot might be necessary, and they already got started on it with the Digimon Adventure PSP game.
It probably just focuses more on the original digi destined from 01 than the ones from 02 which is why it's more a sequel to 01 but still in the same timeline as 02. It's story could also have more to do with the events in 01.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:28   Link #43
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post

Anyway, I am glad about this... Digimon Adventure02 changed the protagonists, which annoyed me, but at least the old ones where still reoccuring characters, but when the Adventure series ended, I think they never appeard again... and new protagonists again and again... though I heard in one of the later Digimon series some of the first protagonists had cameo appearances?
they did show up again in xros wars 2
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

even yammato show up for few scene for Omegamon fusion before he disappeared for unknown reason
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 11:32   Link #44
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
It probably just focuses more on the original digi destined from 01 than the ones from 02 which is why it's more a sequel to 01 but still in the same timeline as 02. It's story could also have more to do with the events in 01.
Maybe, again it seems as though they're trying to reboot the Adventure continuity altogether, I say this because they had time to re-release Adventure 02 and they never did it. It would be kind of strange to keep the 02 characters out of the sequel entirely. 02 has always been riding on Adventure's popularity anyway so I'm not too sure.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 11:37   Link #45
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
If so then they'd need to get the info about the plans from the writers, and unfortunately many of the staff for Adventure and 02 don't work with Toei anymore, if at all.
Toei is a terrible shadow of its former self after it started outsourcing its stuff. The only recent good anime it has done is Kyousogiga, but that is like 1/10 of the works it produced having such great plot.

Quote:
According to the staff, it was actually Ruki's relationship with her father that they got wrong. Apparently her absent father is not the reason for her behavior, she is supposed to have mommy issues, not daddy issues.
She is supposed to be sociopathic.....if I remember correctly she told her mother that she is using Calumon as a science experiment to test gravity when they met at the bridge.

The director/staff had said that Ruki is a symbol of the single parent family which is increasing prevalent in Japan at the time of its production - and that Ruki's behaviour is modelled after the children. Though I seriously doubt that dere > 9000 effect when Ryo was praising her is actually reflective of girls raised by only their mothers.

Quote:
Hey, I just wish they actually released the new Digimon videogames internationally. Apparently Re: Digitize and Digimon Adventure PSP were actually really good.
The problem is with the American scare - they don't particularly like to release Japanese games in US or worldwide because of production costs and possibly ratings. Neptunia is an example of bowlderisation and alarmism; I can see that the CPUs have unrealistic boob sizes, but seriously, what is so WRONG about 4 lolis running around to rescue their sisters?

Quote:
Maybe, again it seems as though they're trying to reboot the Adventure continuity altogether, I say this because they had time to re-release Adventure 02 and they never did it. It would be kind of strange to keep the 02 characters out of the sequel entirely. 02 has always been riding on Adventure's popularity anyway so I'm not too sure.
And don't forget the Wonderswan games.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 11:48   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hmmm... If this would get an English dub, I wonder if the Bare-naked Ladies are still available =3
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 11:52   Link #47
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This is the series with Tai as the main character right? It's the only Digimon thing I remember anything about and even still I remember quite little about it.

Which is odd considering I was quite into it for a bit back in elementary school. Guess it just didn't have the lasting impact on me like Pokemon did. (I also remember quite disliking the PS1 Digimon game so that probably didn't help much. )

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2014-08-01 at 12:03.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 11:54   Link #48
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Toei is a terrible shadow of its former self after it started outsourcing its stuff. The only recent good anime it has done is Kyousogiga, but that is like 1/10 of the works it produced having such great plot.
True, true.

Quote:
She is supposed to be sociopathic.....if I remember correctly she told her mother that she is using Calumon as a science experiment to test gravity when they met at the bridge.
yeah, Ruki has problems with expressing care and kindness towards others, she tended to see that as a weakness, that was supposed to be her character arc.

Quote:
The director/staff had said that Ruki is a symbol of the single parent family which is increasing prevalent in Japan at the time of its production - and that Ruki's behaviour is modelled after the children. Though I seriously doubt that dere > 9000 effect when Ryo was praising her is actually reflective of girls raised by only their mothers.
Ruki's and Ryo's relationship was just thrown in due to the fact that the people in charge of writing their characters were married, and tended to flirt with each other often. And its most blatant in the drama CDs. Their interaction was literally based off of a married couple.

Quote:
The problem is with the American scare - they don't particularly like to release Japanese games in US or worldwide because of production costs and possibly ratings. Neptunia is an example of bowlderisation and alarmism; I can see that the CPUs have unrealistic boob sizes, but seriously, what is so WRONG about 4 lolis running around to rescue their sisters?
The both funny and sad thing about the Digimon Adventure and Re: Ditigtize games is that it doesn't really have any material in it that westerners would find objectionable. Re: Digitize especially is very similar to SMT Devil Survivor in terms of tone. While Digimon Adventure is a traditional RPG. They really could have gotten away with it.

Quote:
And don't forget the Wonderswan games.
Oh yes, those especially.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:54   Link #49
hamazura
whatever

i want sora x taichi
fuck you yamato, go away, dont raise ntr flag
Old 2014-08-01, 12:08   Link #50
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
yeah, Ruki has problems with expressing care and kindness towards others, she tended to see that as a weakness, that was supposed to be her character arc.
Well that doesn't stop her from being the de-facto most popular character (according to a Japanese animanga magazine my friend once showed to me) after Takato.

Quote:
Ruki's and Ryo's relationship was just thrown in due to the fact that the people in charge of writing their characters were married, and tended to flirt with each other often. And its most blatant in the drama CDs. Their interaction was literally based off of a married couple.
I never listened to the drama CDs, partly because I am a terrible listener when it comes to JP. Still, I do remember a fanart in which Juri went totally yandere when Takato tried to go after Ruki - the fanbase probably agreed.

Quote:
The both funny and sad thing about the Digimon Adventure and Re: Ditigtize games is that it doesn't really have any material in it that westerners would find objectionable. Re: Digitize especially is very similar to SMT Devil Survivor in terms of tone. While Digimon Adventure is a traditional RPG. They really could have gotten away with it.
I never played both games, though I think the PSP Digimon Adventure is a pretty niche attempt at rebooting the entire Adventure continuity. Despite 02 being a total bomb as it is and (Daisuke being the worst protagonist I have seen), I still prefer to keep it.

Just give me back my loli Hikari - *is gored to death by a Monochromon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
This is the series with Tai as the main character right? It's the only Digimon thing I remember anything about and even still I remember quite little about it.
IT HAS TO BE TAICHI. Watch the fanbase rage if it isn't.

Quote:
Which is odd considering I was quite into it for a bit back in elementary school. Guess it just didn't have the lasting impact on me like Pokemon did. (I also remember quite disliking the PS1 Digimon game. )
DW2 was downright stupid. I preferred DW3 and of course, the original DW1 gameplay format and UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
i want sora x taichi
fuck you yamato, go away, dont raise ntr flag
How about Yamato and Hikari.....*is nuked by MetalGreymon*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:24   Link #51
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
IT HAS TO BE TAICHI. Watch the fanbase rage if it isn't.
Since I'm most familiar with the english dub, of course I'm going to be more fond of calling the characters by the names I personally know them by. Honestly reading through this thread the only character names I recognize are Tai and Sora.

Quote:
DW2 was downright stupid. I preferred DW3 and of course, the original DW1 gameplay format and UI.
I only played the first one. I didn't know there were sequels until now.

Honestly I think the reason Digimon didn't catch on here in North America as well as Pokemon is because most folk just shrugged it off as a rip-off of Pokemon. I remember clearly a neighbor of mine telling me that exact reason for why he didn't like it.

Anyway, if this show is a remake I'll probably watch it for nostalgia and to refresh my memory on the franchise.
Old 2014-08-01, 12:26   Link #52
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I always prefered Digimon over Pokemon as an anime, because Pokemon with its episodic nature got boring fast. Digimon had something that you can call a "story" at least...

meanwhile in Pokemon Satoshi (yes, I am deliberatly using THAT name here) is still 10 years old.

That is only the case for the anime though.
When it comes to games, then Pokemon is better.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:30   Link #53
wisteria233

Quote:
They've confirmed its Taichi.

Quote:
Well that doesn't stop her from being the de-facto most popular character (according to a Japanese animanga magazine my friend once showed to me) after Takato.
Well that's because the she's actually an interesting character in her own regard, it probably only helps that she has Renamon as her partner digimon.

Quote:
I never listened to the drama CDs, partly because I am a terrible listener when it comes to JP. Still, I do remember a fanart in which Juri went totally yandere when Takato tried to go after Ruki - the fanbase probably agreed.
They flirt in English and JP version as well. Well in the JP version Ruki doesn't show any interest in Takato. I think that's because people mistake Juri for J-Reaper.

Quote:
I never played both games, though I think the PSP Digimon Adventure is a pretty niche attempt at rebooting the entire Adventure continuity. Despite 02 being a total bomb as it is and (Daisuke being the worst protagonist I have seen), I still prefer to keep it.
From what I understand the PSP Digimon Adventure game sold pretty well. Adventure, Tamers, and Savers are actually pretty damn popular in their own regard. Again I don't know since the 15th anniversary bash started last year, I haven't seen any of the characters introduced during 02 mentioned at all, even when fans asked Toei directly. They've also called the new Digimon Adventure series, its own series, so they really might just end up ignoring 02 altogether. Remember its 02 that ended that not only ended the Adventure continuity entirely but also doesn't have its own popularity.
Quote:

Just give me back my loli Hikari - *is gored to death by a Monochromon*
Hikari is going to be around 13-14.
Old 2014-08-01, 12:38   Link #54
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Anyway, if this show is a remake I'll probably watch it for nostalgia and to refresh my memory on the franchise.
Just rewatch the original Digimon Adventure. It's a good anime on its own and the upcoming series is most likely going to be a sequel to it. Also, watch the Japanese version. The English dub butchered and ruined most of the dialogue and music as you can see here (episode 21 minor spoilers).
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:42   Link #55
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Since I'm most familiar with the english dub, of course I'm going to be more fond of calling the characters by the names I personally know them by. Honestly reading through this thread the only character names I recognize are Tai and Sora.
To be fair, most of the dub-names were just abbreviations of the Japanese ones. I believe they also treated them as nicknames, as I believe the dub actually DID show their Japanese name on the character-introduction-screens in episode 1. Though since the characters never ever called each other by their "actual" names (like, seriously, even their parents used the "nicknames". Consistently) I guess it's kind of moot. But yeah, the names are pretty similar overall...
Taichi -> Tai
Yamato -> Matt
Sora -> Sora (Unchanged)
Koushiro -> Izzy (Only one that's completely different... They seem to have taken it from his last name Izumi instead)
Jou -> Joe (Basically just Westernized the spelling.)
Mimi -> Mimi (Unchanged)
Takeru -> T.K. (Uh, okay then.)
Hikari -> Kari

Of course when one gets into 02 they seem to have given up on that, what with Iori becoming Cody and Miyako becoming Yolei... But yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Also, watch the Japanese version. The English dub butchered and ruined most of the dialogue and music as you can see here (episode 21 minor spoilers).
And yet Digimon still got a better deal than many other childrens' anime released at the time. Heck, I remember watching the Japanese version of the SkullGreymon episode and being rather amazed that, oh my, the dialogue was almost perfectly accurate in the dub! (That is, unless the Norwegian dubbers just somehow got a translation of the Japanese script for that episode rather than the English dub scripts they were clearly usually translating from...)
Old 2014-08-01, 13:02   Link #56
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I hope they reuse or make a remix out of Brave Heart.

GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 13:29   Link #57
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

So hype for this. And it's really cool that after the announcement, ppl went and searched for butterfly on youtube to once again hear the theme song. Goes to show how Digimon has been engraved in our childhood. Hopefully the animation and storyboard quality aren't that bad. It's 2015 afterall and put in the effort for this sequel.
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 13:30   Link #58
Crossheart

All aboard the nostalgia hype train!!!
Crossheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 13:45   Link #59
Gundamx

from twitter
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 13:46   Link #60
GDB

Quote:
Hey, I just wish they actually released the new Digimon videogames internationally. Apparently Re: Digitize and Digimon Adventure PSP were actually really good.
I imported Re:Digitize. If you ever played the very first Digimon World game, it's like that, but about 7x better. The 3ds version is supposedly at least 3x better than the PSP version (which is the version I imported), so... 21x better than the original.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digimon