AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 1 9.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 9.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 18.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 18.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 9.09%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 9.09%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-05-25, 01:42   Link #41
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
If anything, the last couple of episodes reminds us why a good adaptation is good at enhancing the qualities of a story while toning down its flaws, while a average or mediocre or bad adaptation just makes the flaws more jarring. Not sure how many people were in charge of that task but this arc just fell short compared to the first ones.

I keep maintaining what I said about Shield Hero from when I read the manga. Its a alright story that suffer from the syndrome of the First Work of an Author. And it would have gained much more to give us the PoV of the other Heroes. Like I needed to read the manga to understand that Itsuki is just self-righteous with a vigilante mentality, instead of the yes-man he came up as in the first episode. Only Ren appeared as the better of the trio.
Old 2019-05-25, 08:13   Link #42
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah. From how I understand web novels are more conducive to immediate ideas without participation of editors or others to discuss what may be too strong or weak and what may shift things from just a reactive person who attacks those that attack him to a bigot with an agenda against certain demographics. It can be difficult to maintain action and drama big enough to draw readers while keeping the balance in the characters' reactions, especially if you're doing it serially with a fairly quick pace. Depending on how quickly the author publishes it could amount to the first draft that I've heard American authors constantly advise aspiring writers to throw immediately in the trash. Light novels then involve going back over all this and reexamining it, finding plot kinks that developed and characterization mistakes, enhancing things that need emphasis and toning down things that came across too strongly. Each further adaptation continues this trend, making adjustments sometimes to fix or improve things and sometimes to just make it more suited to the specific medium. Even then things can be kept that shouldn't (I mean, I doubt the author of SAO actually fantasizes about raping women, he probably just felt it was a good way to make people hate the villains). The anime has done well in some areas and poorly in others, but overall I like it.

And yeah, the manga and LN give a much better look at the heroes. Each is supposed to show a certain "virtue" carried to a level or direction that makes it anything but virtuous.
Spoiler for the three heroes:

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2019-05-25 at 11:01.
Old 2019-05-25, 16:30   Link #43
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
He did say that. (I checked some of the earlier chapters when I was trying to work out some mechanical details of the world.) And the impression I got was that he told himself this in order to convince himself that it was OK to buy a slave. That is, morally, he felt it was wrong, but realistically he knew he had no other reasonable options. He could accept purchasing Raphtalia as a slave if he could pretend it was actually Myne, because he had enough hate for Myne to overcome any distaste he had for slavery. That bit of self-delusion only lasted as long as it took for him to realize Raphtalia needed food (so about a 15 minute walk, in the anime).

For more visual storytelling, in the anime, you'll note that every time Naofumi was saying cruel or mean things to Raphtalia (such as the rabbit fight), he always kept his face turned away from her. In fact, even when the camera faced him, his face was in shadow, so not even the audience could see him directly. It's a facade that he knows he can't keep up. He's not good at lying.
Hmm... I suppose it could be seen in that light. Fair enough.
Old 2019-05-25, 17:44   Link #44
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
If anything, the last couple of episodes reminds us why a good adaptation is good at enhancing the qualities of a story while toning down its flaws, while a average or mediocre or bad adaptation just makes the flaws more jarring. Not sure how many people were in charge of that task but this arc just fell short compared to the first ones.

I keep maintaining what I said about Shield Hero from when I read the manga. Its a alright story that suffer from the syndrome of the First Work of an Author. And it would have gained much more to give us the PoV of the other Heroes. Like I needed to read the manga to understand that Itsuki is just self-righteous with a vigilante mentality, instead of the yes-man he came up as in the first episode. Only Ren appeared as the better of the trio.
I think that came out pretty clearly when Naofumi revealed how badly he bungled things with toppling that regime and Itsuki...did not react well .