AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-08-25, 19:41   Link #161
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

I so pissed at this show. I've been watching the EP's and getting all frustrated cause I know Ryoko and her man servant won't hook up ever. (or so what I've concluded after watching the last couple of episodes). But just that; me can't take my eyes off this show cause Ryoko is just damn too sexy and perfect. Izumida(sp?) is one lucky hell of a guy. Although dense; but at least not a sissy.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 14:53   Link #162
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I wonder if those of you who are disappointed with this series are in some way comparing it to Ghost in the Shell.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 20:06   Link #163
Duality

*sigh* I really liked 1-5, but I found 6/7 kind of disappointing. As others have said, the whole point of this anime is the two main characters, and they didn't seem to have much in the way of interaction in the last two episodes.

Too bad it's only 13 episodes, even considering the *utterly* absurd plots, I'd keep watching this for some time, just to see Ryoko and Izumida interact..... For some reason those two are making me think of Revy/Rock from Black Lagoon in terms of how the characters interaction really brings life to the show.
Duality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 22:04   Link #164
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
I so pissed at this show. I've been watching the EP's and getting all frustrated cause I know Ryoko and her man servant won't hook up ever.
you are not the only one that is frustrated, Ryouko is also frustrated at Izumida's denseness as we can see in episode 8. Just watch Ryouko's reaction when she see Izumida and how it affects her.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 22:19   Link #165
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider
I wonder if those of you who are disappointed with this series are in some way comparing it to Ghost in the Shell.
Not at all. I've never thought about GiTS while watching this show. I'm just think the supernatural part is grafted on for no good reason other than to appeal to people who think supernatural stuff is cool. I'd be perfectly happy with a show where Ryoko investigates corruption and exposes human villains. Fighting giant salamanders just detracts from what this show could be for me. The show combines sexy characters, witty scripts, and a nice style with some pretty uninspired plots. It's not really their fault, though; I believe the original subject matter treads the same path.

Spoiler for comparisons with Mnemosyne:
If I'm going to watch a show about monsters, I'd rather watch Mononoke or Natsume Yuujinchou. I'd prefer that my cop shows focus on humans.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 18:56   Link #166
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Episode 8 was interesting considering that

Spoiler for Culprit in Episode 8:

Oh well, makes me wanna do a fanfic based on it. XP

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 20:52   Link #167
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Oh my god are those huge crickets...Creeeepy *shivers*

Sorry not a bug person...I really hope Izu was joking about what he said at the end...Yea she cried and jumped off a bridge to fake you out...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 22:02   Link #168
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The notion that an insect could possibly vibrate at 1.5 GHz is beyond ridiculous. (That's 1.5 billion times a second!) Not to mention that there's no way ultrasound which travels though physical media like air could affect electromagnetic radiation which doesn't employ physical media in the slightest. Stuff like this isn't rocket science either. You'd think there would be at least one person in the production house who knows enough about science to suggest some rewriting might have been required.

Tears from our ice queen this time though. Maybe she's human after all?

Why does Muromachi refer to her as Oryo? Is this a nickname based on Ryoko?
Old 2008-08-31, 22:06   Link #169
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

IIRC, I think it's something between Muromachi and Yakushiji.

Since Ryoko's Oryo, Yukiko's Oyuki. Probably back in their law student days.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2008-09-01, 00:53   Link #170
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Probably. Thinking about Izumida I guess.

Old 2008-09-01, 01:01   Link #171
glyph

So is this series like Yoshiki Tanaka's X-Files or something?
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 05:46   Link #172
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Probably. Thinking about Izumida I guess.
That's pretty much clear. Izumida, in his denseness, actually further implies this when he wonders what she was worrying about.

Too bad the episode doesn't show what she exactly saw during that time.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 07:50   Link #173
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
The notion that an insect could possibly vibrate at 1.5 GHz is beyond ridiculous. (That's 1.5 billion times a second!) Not to mention that there's no way ultrasound which travels though physical media like air could affect electromagnetic radiation which doesn't employ physical media in the slightest. Stuff like this isn't rocket science either. You'd think there would be at least one person in the production house who knows enough about science to suggest some rewriting might have been required.

When it comes to realistic physics in anime, I've always been of the opinion that you have to be a little more lenient than usual on the suspension of disbelief.

Ep 8

This was probably one of the more down-to-earth episodes in the series so far, but it kinda lost its edge because of it, since a lot of the events were a bit more predictable than usual. Ryoko's attempted suicide was easily the most interesting thing about this episode, but I did think they wasted an opportunity for some good character development when Ryoko and Izumida just pretended nothing had happened (and Izumida straight out denied to himself that anything was off-kilter). It was a bit of a tease for those of us who wanted to see some momentous character/relationship development, since nothing ultimately came of it (oh my, anime teasing its audience for character/relationship development... I don't believe that's ever happened before). Ryoko gets a 10.0 for the dive.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 10:10   Link #174
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
When it comes to realistic physics in anime, I've always been of the opinion that you have to be a little more lenient than usual on the suspension of disbelief.
I can be lenient; after all I have Noein in my signature, and I've written here on a number of occasions that most anime science fiction is more fantasy than science. Still, most anyone with even high-school level physics would see the absurdity of the explanation given in this episode.

Again I credit this to some perceived need to employ fantastical elements in the show when they're not needed. Why couldn't the villain have invented a radio device that accomplished the purpose of inducing suicide via cell phones? Even if that also seems scientifically unlikely, at least it has a veneer of plausibility that vibrating insects will never have.

I know I must sound grumpy in this thread, and reading my comments would make someone wonder why I even bother watching this show. I guess it's those legs.
Old 2008-09-01, 12:05   Link #175
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Yeah, you can forgive a LOT for those legs.

That show needs a more tongue-in-cheek tone. The ridiculous stories really clash with the serious treatment.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 17:13   Link #176
Duality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
That's pretty much clear. Izumida, in his denseness, actually further implies this when he wonders what she was worrying about.

Too bad the episode doesn't show what she exactly saw during that time.
Presumably something along the lines of "he doesn't like me", since he's the only guy who doesn't seem to be particularly interested in her as a woman, (or at least who doesn't show it) and it's probably the first and only time that that's happened.

What I want to see is Yukiko and Izumida ending up having to go out for some reason, undercover on a case maybe? That would be...... funny.

Does anyone know if the weird dream Ryoko had about the Russian Revolution (or something, the one where Izumida was walking through the background) was just her usual personality or if there was something to it?
Duality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 17:39   Link #177
golthin

Quote:

Why does Muromachi refer to her as Oryo? Is this a nickname based on Ryoko?
you know that Sound can be changed into electricity and electricity into sound by Resonance?
that is what the insencts were doing, by combining the magnetic signal from the cellphone with the microwaves they were creating a new signal. Neither the insect sound or the phone signal by itself could affect people. It is precty much what happen when you are on the phone and have the radio on while calling a talk show, resonance!
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 17:51   Link #178
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Due to my fondness of Oryo-sama, I've made some fics where she makes some cameo appearances in my stories. Details if interested.

Old 2008-09-01, 17:53   Link #179
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality View Post

Does anyone know if the weird dream Ryoko had about the Russian Revolution (or something, the one where Izumida was walking through the background) was just her usual personality or if there was something to it?
Just how her personality works.

Old 2008-09-01, 22:43   Link #180
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality View Post
Presumably something along the lines of "he doesn't like me", since he's the only guy who doesn't seem to be particularly interested in her as a woman, (or at least who doesn't show it) and it's probably the first and only time that that's happened.
I agree in part. Her problem is that she wants it both ways and it won't be happening nor should it.

a. She wants him to be her servant. She demeans him in a way no superior is suppose to. It's actually sexual harrassment. It's a part of her power trip that she's playing with others. Kind of reflected in her dream. Russian revolution leader says "Follow me." and enjoys all the attention that they are giving her. Izumida in the background not paying attention because he knows better.

b. She wants him to be her lover. This actually is in conflict with (a) as she is on her power trip. Being a lover means both partners are on equal standing. Understandably, Izumida can not go down this route as he isn't being treated as an equal. I think that she would be the type that would tire of him pretty fast and dispose of him like yesterday's newspaper. If he would have a relationship with her, it would be more like the master of the house having an affair with the maid.

She is bad news for Izumida. She is also a victim of her own making and I have no sympathy for her. She needs to date an "uptown" guy and leave the "downtown" guy alone.

Tags
supernatural