AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Where would you want to see the 2016 Olympic Games?
Chicago (USA) 5 22.73%
Madrid (Spain) 1 4.55%
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) 6 27.27%
Tokyo (Japan) 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-02, 12:25   Link #41
james0246

It was almost worth it for Chicago to fail in its bid just to hear the hilarious conservative commentary that has sprung forth the morning of said rejection (from the Drudge Report: "The Ego has Landed: World Rejects Obama", when this became about Obama is a bit mysterious, but oh well, it sure is funny).

Good going Rio, this will be a great boon to your people and culture, and it will greatly affect the way the world views you (it's up to you if the impression will be positive or negative).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 12:32   Link #42
mg1942

^ and good ratings cause Americans will finally get to watch the XXXI olympiad with no delays
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 12:33   Link #43
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I'll help you fill in the line on why you're not happy:
Rio is hardly a 'jewel', more corruption, violence and murder and the filthiest sanitary conditions of any city being considered
Ya, that's my main problem. I watched many documentaries about Rio, and it's hardly a Jewel.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-10-02 at 12:43. Reason: Maybe a bit NSFW XD
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 12:50   Link #44
james0246

Quote:
^ and good ratings cause Americans will finally get to watch the XXXI olympiad with no delays
That's right, I had forgotten about that. So the IOC really got the best of both worlds in this selection - they got to make a historic choice in Rio, but at the same time they got to keep the increased viewership from having the Olympics shown in the US without a time delay.

In regards to Chicago, I imagine the recent video of several Chicago teens viciously killing another teen had some impact on the vote (the congested traffic problems for the 2nd largest city in the US certainly didn't help (though, I admit I know very liitle about any problems in Rio)).
Old 2009-10-02, 12:50   Link #45
mg1942

I was saddened when I saw this headline... then 20 seconds later I guffawd

mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 12:55   Link #46
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
I'll help you fill in the line on why you're not happy:
Rio is hardly a 'jewel', more corruption, violence and murder and the filthiest sanitary conditions of any city being considered
Chicago isn't? Chicago is one of the most segregated and racial communities still in the US. One of the worst educational system in the states, and the city has made no stride to improve it at all. Exact opposite, they are literally trying to push out poor minority groups into either bigger **** holes or to the subs(Who are incapable of handling the problem). The political systems has been corrupt for many many years

Japan speaks for itself, Probably the most homogeneous society out of the first world countries. Which results in some of the most backwater racial ideals present in the first world countries. It's the exact opposite of what the Olympics are meant to be. Not to mention, Japan seemed really half-heart over it which was probably the reason why they didn't get it.

Madrid...beautiful place, but here are their players from Beijing

And Rio, As you said. It's a 3rd world city. They are probably going do something exactly like China. Use it as an excuse to tear down multiple slums and poor areas. Force them out, and make a higher class area after it is all said and done...that's even if it gets done. They'll be lucky if half the money goes to it with how corrupt the city is.

But atleast, Rio is by a beautiful area and has this.
Spoiler for Ass:

Also to note, it is the first time ever for the games to held in South America.

The Olypmics are the perfect excuse to hide corrupt behind a pretty face. Don't act like Rio is the only pile of crap presenting itself. This isn't directed towards you, but more just the onslaught of why's Rio we will get.

More victory celebration

Old 2009-10-02, 13:27   Link #47
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The data from the various ballots were revealed:

1st voting:

1) Madrid - 28
2) Rio - 26
3) Tokyo - 20
4) Chicago - 18 -> eliminated

2nd voting:

1) Rio - 46
2) Madrid - 29
3) Tokyo - 22 -> eliminated

Final Voting:

1) Rio - 66
2) Madrid - 32

As it can be seen from the numbers this election was everything but uncertain, basically a no context. The first ballot only served to bring Rio safely into next turn. In the second one they tried to end the competition (any city getting 50% +1 votes would have got an instant win in any turn, you can see how Rio got close in the 2nd ballot). The final ballot was a pure formality, despite Rogge claiming it was "just a matter of a few votes". As if.

It's the first time that a country gets to host both Fifa World Cup (2014) and Olympic Games (2016) in a row. Good luck, Brazil.

Personally I didn't have any particular preference, I didn't even vote in the poll. I wouldn't have disliked Tokyo, to bring Japan under spotlights for a few weeks, just like it happened for Beijing last year. It's better though that they went to America (meant as a continent), since we have to take turns in watching the games with delay, after all.
And then, being italian, since my country should candidate either Milan or Rome for the 2020 Olympics, at least now I know there will be a chance if that happens.
Old 2009-10-02, 13:44   Link #48
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
More victory celebration

The front of these people on these pictures make me laugh

I voted for Madrid but congratulation to Rio !

Now we need a Paris 2020 ! (traumatize by Paris 2012 )
Old 2009-10-02, 13:50   Link #49
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I highly doubt that Chicago would ever get it in the first place since the city itself have a big history of corruption just as bad as New Jersey's corrupt government.. but it doesn't matter anyways since I'm going to watch the Olympics on Cable anyways...

Good luck Rio!
Old 2009-10-02, 15:27   Link #50
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Well.. I wanted to see here and i WILL see it here! Damn, i'm happy!
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 16:10   Link #51
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

My favorite pick won!

Cheers to Rio!

Hope everythings goes well on your end.
Old 2009-10-02, 16:32   Link #52
Alchemist007
*Author

Cool, finally get to see South America on a non-soccer based field
Old 2009-10-02, 16:48   Link #53
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
My favorite pick won!

Cheers to Rio!

Hope everythings goes well on your end.
Me too. I mean, we're going to spend money to build a new country in this event. There's enough for transport, contruction and for the pockets of all the politicians, so we have to do this right.

And man, there is a LOT of stuff to do... But for now, everything is party!
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 18:31   Link #54
Shadow Kira01

Tokyo managed to secure 22 votes in the first round which resulted in the elimination of Chicago. Unfortunately, Tokyo ended up with only 20 votes in the second round which resulted an elimination. The winner was Rio with 44 votes.

Considering that an 89-year old had appealed for South America's first Olympics, I guess letting Rio be the winner is a good idea, somewhat.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 18:57   Link #55
james0246

^I thought the 89 year old man was from Madrid (and he was the former head of the IOC).
Old 2009-10-02, 19:36   Link #56
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Japan speaks for itself, Probably the most homogeneous society out of the first world countries. Which results in some of the most backwater racial ideals present in the first world countries. It's the exact opposite of what the Olympics are meant to be. Not to mention, Japan seemed really half-heart over it which was probably the reason why they didn't get it.
Precisely why something like the Olympics is needed. They need more of a shake up for the natives in there to see more races and cultures and break limited sterotypes fed alive through TV, movies and their own minds.
From the campagining they were doing here and the attempts at internationalism and appealing to people of different colours and creeds, it'd have been a good thing, but as China did just have it, it prob did work against them.
Rio can just as easily be known as 'sin city', however know the world will be watching them after London is done, they're gonna have to work towards being positive and improving the state of the capital as it is at present.

I'm kinda interested for Rio to have it. It'll be in a similar spotlight as China methinks, its horrors and negativity will be highlighted heavily, forced to the surface.
However what it will do is create a lot of new jobs, offer skills and a 'unity' to people poor and well off (well if London's anything to go by, from the schemes they're running at home at the moment) - people will now be thinking towards a common goal over there for the next 7 years.
The government is gonna have to clean up their act seriously in various aspects and try to make Rio seem good in the best possible light as represting S. America.
Let's see how it goes....

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 21:35   Link #57
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^I thought the 89 year old man was from Madrid (and he was the former head of the IOC).
Really?

Samaranch asks IOC to give Madrid the Olympics

Quote:
Former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch has asked the International Olympic Committee to consider his age and award Madrid the 2016 Games.

The 89-year-old Samaranch says he is "very near the end on my time."

Samaranch asked the IOC "to consider (guaranteeing) my country the honor and also the duty to organize the games and Paralympics in 2016."

Samaranch spoke Friday ahead of a secret ballot to choose between the Spanish capital, Chicago, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo for the right to host the 2016 Olympics.
My bad...

Let's just say I had read it a little too fast..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 01:00   Link #58
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Chicago isn't? Chicago is one of the most segregated and racial communities still in the US. One of the worst educational system in the states, and the city has made no stride to improve it at all. Exact opposite, they are literally trying to push out poor minority groups into either bigger **** holes or to the subs(Who are incapable of handling the problem). The political systems has been corrupt for many many years

Madrid...beautiful place, but here are their players from Beijing

And Rio, As you said. It's a 3rd world city. They are probably going do something exactly like China. Use it as an excuse to tear down multiple slums and poor areas. Force them out, and make a higher class area after it is all said and done...that's even if it gets done. They'll be lucky if half the money goes to it with how corrupt the city is.

But atleast, Rio is by a beautiful area and has this.
Spoiler for Ass:

Also to note, it is the first time ever for the games to held in South America.

The Olypmics are the perfect excuse to hide corrupt behind a pretty face. Don't act like Rio is the only pile of crap presenting itself. This isn't directed towards you, but more just the onslaught of why's Rio we will get.
Nah I see positive things about Olympics, I believe 1988 Olympic in Seoul was able to influence the political change in Korea. Like Mystique said many of negativity in that country will be shown to the world, and maybe influencing them to change.

I was expecting Rio to get it and I think it was the right choice. I just feel that aside from the geography reason Brazil will have more passion for this event than America, Japan, and Spain as all three of them have hosted this event in their cities. So having the Olympic for the first time in that area might make them more passionate to it.
Old 2009-10-03, 07:36   Link #59
Leo Keichi

Well, I was thinking that Japan would win, but the lack of interest of the Japanese must have weighted against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I'm kinda interested for Rio to have it. It'll be in a similar spotlight as China methinks, its horrors and negativity will be highlighted heavily, forced to the surface.
However what it will do is create a lot of new jobs, offer skills and a 'unity' to people poor and well off (well if London's anything to go by, from the schemes they're running at home at the moment) - people will now be thinking towards a common goal over there for the next 7 years.
The government is gonna have to clean up their act seriously in various aspects and try to make Rio seem good in the best possible light as represting S. America.
Let's see how it goes....
I'm not unhappy with Rio being chosen, but I don't like this type of thinking. The government here will start doing a lot of things because of the games, but all of this should be done naturally, and not because we're going to hold an important event.

Last edited by Leo Keichi; 2009-10-03 at 07:47.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 08:01   Link #60
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, East Asia already had Beijing last year.