Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-01-26, 22:47   Link #41
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I am worried more about the CPU processor speed than I am the video card at present. I think mine is 2.3 Ghtz with 3 G of RAM.

With a NVidia 630 gt
Game will support mantle which should cut down on the processor a lot, if amd is to be believed.

Start praying to your nvidia gods to support mantle. =P
Old 2014-01-27, 00:50   Link #42
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Anyway, went and dropped down money on the game. $45 for an Aurora LN package (sadly, I missed on the lifetime insurance, but oh well).

Projected retail price of the game is going to be $60, and that's for SP and MP combined. There are no plans to split both - you buy it, and if you want to stick with SP that's fine, if you want to MP it's available for you. In that regard, getting one of the backer pledges now basically means you're buying the game at a discount - about 25% or so. (Cheapest pledge with Alpha and Beta access is the Aurora MR at $40, but it's suggested to drop down the extra cash and get an Aurora LN for $45.)

To be honest, at least for myself, the whole reason I'm getting this game is for the MP, given that I'm a member of Astro Korps, the SB clan. Alpha is planned to be sometime this year, followed by the beta, then the full launch in 2015. Beta progress will not be reset, but will be maintained - so a lot of Organisations (aka clan/guild/corp) are going to be using the Beta to build up their warchests.

The Devs have also teased on a massive campaign to close the Beta - something about an invasion of an NPC race home system.

Also, with regard to transactions, IMO Star Citizen is running on an optional macrotransaction model. Most of the transactions for ships and the like are at least 25 dollars, scaling up to the Idris which is a hundred plus. Sure, you can convert cash to ingame currency (5/10/15 USD to 5/10/15k UEC), but you can also use UEC to give yourself a rebate on cash purchases (1000 UEC = 1 USD). Not to mention that the cosmetic shop on the website? Uses UEC, aka ingame credits.

So it's not the microtransaction-fueled doom tale it's being portrayed as, especially since the game has already made 37 million.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2014-01-27 at 02:56.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 11:45   Link #43
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Also, with regard to transactions, IMO Star Citizen is running on an optional macrotransaction model. Most of the transactions for ships and the like are at least 25 dollars, scaling up to the Idris which is a hundred plus. Sure, you can convert cash to ingame currency (5/10/15 USD to 5/10/15k UEC), but you can also use UEC to give yourself a rebate on cash purchases (1000 UEC = 1 USD). Not to mention that the cosmetic shop on the website? Uses UEC, aka ingame credits.

So it's not the microtransaction-fueled doom tale it's being portrayed as, especially since the game has already made 37 million.
It's too early to tell.

A reasonable forecast is that CIG will have raised 60-75 million by the time the game goes live, and they'll likely have spent most of that building the game as well as building CIG itself.

The question is what their Star Citizen earnings look like after that: the hybrid model that they plan to follow after the game goes live is likely to put more emphasis on microtransactions than new game entrants.

It just seems obvious considering their current base is a lot older and more well off than your typical gaming demographic that they would expect to earn significantly more off microtransactions than new game entrants. I'd imagine many of the older gamers will be paying a lot to just buy UEC that they don't have time to grind.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 20:36   Link #44
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

You have a point there, though I've heard that the transaction shop is going to have limits. *shrug* Also, something I hear which I feel quite happy about - it's possible to melt down your existing ships for store credit that you can use to offset your macrotransaction ship purchase, which is always a good thing.

And there's now this idea of Operation Pitchfork: essentially, towards the end of Beta, it's a player-led initiative to invade the Vanduul worldsand take the fight to them. RSI has enthusiastically supported this initiative - in fact some RSI staffers are going to fly as the Vanduul, probably aces - and it's going to be featured somehow into the lore.

On my part, I'll be enthusiastically joining the SB clan, Astro Korps, on this mission. We're now considering stealing a Vanduul dreadnought and dropping it on one of their planets. So I've ended up changing my branch from being a Pathfinder to a Desantniki.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 21:15   Link #45
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It really is something checking in now and then to see just how much has been raised for this game. Looking forward to really diving into it. Though if the hanger mod told me anything it's that I'll need to do some work on my computer before I can do too much in there .

That whole Operation Pitchfork thing does sound pretty awesome. Of course haven't looked too much into clans. Have kind of focused on other things since it makes waiting a lot easier to manage.

Nice to come back every now and then and see what's been unlocked recently .