AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-01-22, 07:52   Link #11721
17Sevens

I suspect some people have decided that Medaka Box is a deconstruction of all things shounen and then get upset when certain parts don't seem to match up their idea of what a deconstruction should be. I personally think MB has fun with shounen tropes, while sometimes containing deconstructive elements (particularly the characters of Kumagawa and Ajimu, though not always). But! I don't need it to be or not be a deconstruction to enjoy it! Even when I don't always like the direction of the manga, it's still damn entertaining every week. And thus, I sincerely enjoy it. /endrant
17Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 08:48   Link #11722
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
He got that far though not because of his own strength or determination but because all the big ones were occupied within themselves, when Luffy had to face them he looked weak. If not Whitebeards help Luffy would have been dead together with Ace. Luffy's determination, power-ups, experience and all that usual shounen boosts were quite useless.
Well hey, that's "main character" luck too. Exactly the type of coincidence which Devil Style was talking about. Why did Luffy survive, but not his brother? Because one of them is the MC.

Quote:
And thats what did not happen in OP. Because battle for someone who is close to you life is what I call a battle when it really damn matters and luffy lost it.

Usually such big events only happen in shounen's beginning as a stimulation for MC to train get batter and come back kicking ass not in the middle of the story with all the training and powerups with all the super determination to save the life of your only family member and failing to do so.
So what's the aftermath of the story? Did Luffy get back up? Did he take down the guys who killed his brother? Did the story come out with a theme about perseverence in the face of tragedy, and your loved ones still being in your heart? That is the shounen formula, dude (again, not that I have any real problems with it). There is no reason at all why a shounen protagonist can only be defeated at the start. But the fact is that they're the MC, so in the end they're gonna win.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 09:02   Link #11723
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
He got that far though not because of his own strength or determination but because all the big ones were occupied within themselves, when Luffy had to face them he looked weak. If not Whitebeards help Luffy would have been dead together with Ace. Luffy's determination, power-ups, experience and all that usual shounen boosts were quite useless.
That's the point, the reason shounen main characters win isn't only because of friendship or effort, though that plays a part. They win because they have power in the first place. If you're weak, you'll lose even though you have friends or try hard. Though, it's a chicken and egg kind of question: do you have power because you're the main character, or is it because you have power that you're the main character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Sevens View Post
I suspect some people have decided that Medaka Box is a deconstruction of all things shounen and then get upset when certain parts don't seem to match up their idea of what a deconstruction should be. I personally think MB has fun with shounen tropes, while sometimes containing deconstructive elements (particularly the characters of Kumagawa and Ajimu, though not always). But! I don't need it to be or not be a deconstruction to enjoy it! Even when I don't always like the direction of the manga, it's still damn entertaining every week. And thus, I sincerely enjoy it. /endrant
Yeah, people don't realise that you can't deconstruct everything all the time.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 10:16   Link #11724
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
So what's the aftermath of the story? Did Luffy get back up? Did he take down the guys who killed his brother? Did the story come out with a theme about perseverence in the face of tragedy, and your loved ones still being in your heart?
But the main characters being main characters is a problem of not just shounen but all manga or anime or novels or films industry in general. They sometimes kill off MC but such events happen very very rarely and only if the side-characetrs have plaenty of growth to overtake the role.

Main characters are supposed to be main characters you know. Its not just shounen thing.

And no Luffy didnt get back up, he was knocked out cold, nearly died and did not defeat the guy but got himself a nice pair of new scars.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 11:42   Link #11725
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
But the main characters being main characters is a problem of not just shounen but all manga or anime or novels or films industry in general. They sometimes kill off MC but such events happen very very rarely and only if the side-characetrs have plaenty of growth to overtake the role.

Main characters are supposed to be main characters you know. Its not just shounen thing.

And no Luffy didnt get back up, he was knocked out cold, nearly died and did not defeat the guy but got himself a nice pair of new scars.
And a new shirt with frills later on. Naturally new powers come with the package too. Does a love interest count too? Same for Black beard, does he count as a new enemy?
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 17:38   Link #11726
maplehurry

Spoiler for 179:
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 17:38   Link #11727
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Spoiler for 179:
Well that is that.
Old 2013-01-22, 17:39   Link #11728
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Spoiler for 179:
Hah oh wow I was wrong.
Good.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 17:53   Link #11729
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hah oh wow I was wrong.
Good.
Spoiler for nothing really:
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 17:57   Link #11730
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Well, Zenkichi and Kumagawa have gone there. Why not Medaka?
Old 2013-01-22, 18:52   Link #11731
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Spoiler for nothing really:
Well yeah, I meant more in that
Spoiler for not really anything either:
Old 2013-01-22, 19:26   Link #11732
jamiea483

it would be be sick Zenkichi got a new power since he is the "new MC" of the manga lol
jamiea483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 19:31   Link #11733
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Well, Zenkichi and Kumagawa have gone there. Why not Medaka?
Indeed.

I mean, uniqueness? Pfft. Who needs that shit?

Everyone, after-life party in the classroom, whoooo!
Old 2013-01-22, 19:45   Link #11734
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Actually, on second thought, her being there doesn't really mean anything either way.
Old 2013-01-23, 04:15   Link #11735
Westlo
Lets be reality

Bye bye Kurogane... the weakest established link is now....

Quote:
Also, this is why the word "deconstruction" is very stupid.
Blame Madoka for making it the new cool kids word /facepalm.

Quote:
Furthermore, you realize that Bleach and Naruto are themselves heavily inspired by FotNS, Dragonball, etc, right?
Naruto "borrowed" a lot from Hunter X Hunter as well... which is currently outselling it, won't be long before it comes back into Jump...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 04:27   Link #11736
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Naruto "borrowed" a lot from Hunter X Hunter as well... which is currently outselling it, won't be long before it comes back into Jump...
HxH isn't on hiatus because of sales

The mangaka has more than enough money to never work again. He'll only come back if he 'feels' like it.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 04:33   Link #11737
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
HxH isn't on hiatus because of sales

The mangaka has more than enough money to never work again. He'll only come back if he 'feels' like it.
Oh I know all about Togashi being a boss, you know Oda wishes he could do that stuff lol... Regardless I'm sure it's going to come back in the first half of this year anyway, would be silly to let such momentum slip, currently the #2 selling manga in Jump, anime is finally doing justice to a part that was poorly done in the past, Movie just came out, 2nd movie announced already.

Togashi da gawd, living the dream... I bet Level E got animated because he asked for it if they wanted him to do more chapters lol.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 04:42   Link #11738
Xion Valkyrie

Yeah I hope he comes back. The last couple of chapters really opened up the possibilities with lots of really intriguing plot points that he could continue on. Then there's the Kurapica gaiden which could continue a storyline that everyone is excited to revisit.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 13:07   Link #11739
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiea483 View Post
it would be be sick Zenkichi got a new power since he is the "new MC" of the manga lol
That happened before with Devil Style and we all know how that turned out.
Old 2013-01-24, 15:25   Link #11740
ShiroiRyu

Oh man ...
End God Mode ...

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council