AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 13:53   Link #11801
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Before recent developments I wouldn't have questioned that statement, but we are clearly supposed to be cheering for her at this point, even though she remains just as unlikeable. It's hard to read.
Yup. I remember when I myself believed that statement.

Up until 140, I was totally on-board with it.

But right now, it's pretty clear that Nishio really wants readers to like Medaka(probably because he does) and want her to live and cheer for her and such.
Old 2013-01-25, 14:01   Link #11802
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
The two situations seem hardly comparable as equals. Zenkichi and Hato are talking about her Mary Sueness, but both are talking about different aspects of it.
Or not. Both events deal with how Medaka's actions to help people only drive them further from her, and how even the people she thinks she's helping can have a different opinion on the matter, etc. Seems pretty similar to me.

Quote:
But that hasn't dealt with the root of the problem.

Her unconditional love for all her friends is one of the most generic, simplistic and predictable Shounen traits I can think of. Those attributes pass on to the character and it loses some uniqueness. I could see Medaka going this far for any of her known friends, and she didn't even like Shiranui, or is even her friend to begin with, she wants to become friends with her. Sounds exaggerated and in-human. Mary Sueish.

I mean, I could see Zenkichi going this far for Shiranui, because he actually does love her. He spent years developing that friendship every day. Losing her is like losing a part of himself. That's relatable.

But Medaka's reasons are hardly enjoyable(for me).

Not saying that other people aren't allowed to like this trait, but it's something that turns off several readers like me, or Kaisos, or KLG
Excellent job of ignoring what I posted, but whatever. You seem to be treating Shiranui as if she and Medaka are strangers. It's true that they didn't like each other, but Shiranui was playing a role designed for Medaka to not like her. After the changes that Medaka has gone through, it's not odd that she thinks of Shiranui differently. The Medaka from before would have helped because that was her purpose in life, no differently than how people breathe because they need oxygen. The current Medaka is helping because she chooses to, becaus she likes her.

Quote:
Forgive me, but what's the difference? Likewise, you're viewing it through your own bias, so as to say that Torai being created solely for Medaka's sake as a good thing.
Torai, right now, is nothing but a superfluous character, with no meaning to her, other than she was there to lose an argument against Medaka.

You say she was posing a question to the reader about Medaka? Indeed, she was. But that's simply a less-blunt and more delicate way of saying what I'm saying
The difference is that you, because of your bias against Medaka are applying a negative connotation that isn't actually there. There's nothing good or bad about why Torai was there, nothing to make Medaka look good or bad. She was simply there to ask a question.

Quote:
Before recent developments I wouldn't have questioned that statement, but we are clearly supposed to be cheering for her at this point, even though she remains just as unlikeable. It's hard to read.
Or you know, some people find her likeable, because they like her, not because there is some objective reasoning it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 14:27   Link #11803
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Or not. Both events deal with how Medaka's actions to help people only drive them further from her, and how even the people she thinks she's helping can have a different opinion on the matter, etc. Seems pretty similar to me.
Not really the point in question.

One of them is Zenkichi talking about her crazy ideal of helping strangers, and how that makes her unlikeable and might eventually kill her.
The other is her mother reflecting on her crazy ideal of self-sacrificial love to the end, and how that makes her unlikeable and might eventually kill her.

The end result of all her actions are the same, but the points in question have different roots, which is important and what I was referring to.

I guess it also goes to show how Kaisos is right, and she hasn't changed from her past unlikeability.

Quote:
Excellent job of ignoring what I posted, but whatever. You seem to be treating Shiranui as if she and Medaka are strangers. It's true that they didn't like each other, but Shiranui was playing a role designed for Medaka to not like her. After the changes that Medaka has gone through, it's not odd that she thinks of Shiranui differently. The Medaka from before would have helped because that was her purpose in life, no differently than how people breathe because they need oxygen. The current Medaka is helping because she chooses to, becaus she likes her.
Sure, but you're missing the point.

The point is that that's an unlikeable motivation. People would be more inclined to believe that Medaka was saving Shiranui for Zenkichi's sake, and that would be more interesting in the grand scheme.
The crux here is that Medaka is, like you said, saving her because she loves people, because she wants to be Shiranui's friend. She'd do this for Chougasaki if it were happening with him. She'd do this for any of the people she loves which appeared in the scan. It feels impersonal, and unbelieavable.

And when you love so broadly, your motivation becomes generic. Just like a generic Shounen hero who self-sacrifices for everyone(what Medaka is doing). She's not Mary Sueing to the point she's Jesus now like before, but it's clear Nishio has no idea how to write a Medaka which many people can enjoy and relate to emotionally.

Regardless, I'm just explaining why certain people find her unlikeable in their interpretation. it's not as if you have to agree with it or anything.

Quote:
There's nothing good or bad about why Torai was there, nothing to make Medaka look good or bad. She was simply there to ask a question.
That's the definition of creating a superfluous character: Torai.

Whose only purpose in the series was to get told by Medaka.

See? People are gonna notice an home-in on Nishio's blatent shenanigans.

~~

I found an interesting theory while lookingon the Naruto Forums thread, you'all(I look at basically every forum, ever). What do you think of this:

Quote:
I've always been incredibly curious about how people would treat the other characters of this manga if someone like Medaka wasn't "technically" the protagonist.

She kind of acts as a lightning rod when it comes to being frustrated with the tropes of shonen jump, and really let the other characters be a lot more unique and dynamic. While she really isn't anything special, being that way almost benefits all the other characters that people have come to love in my opinion.

The question is whether it was all intentional or not.
http://www.narutoforums.com/showthre...814203&page=63

Well?

Do you think that Medaka might just be the reason why the other characters are so appealing and likeable?

Last edited by Wolfenstein; 2013-01-25 at 14:53.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 15:01   Link #11804
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It all comes down to the question of whether Nisio is brilliant or just a very successful idiot. I'm not really sure these days.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 17:41   Link #11805
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
I can't argue with that. She was probably meant to be an unlikable Sue-ish character until the election arc. Everything that comes after that is her journey to justify her own existence, to somehow become human, so we're probably supposed to sympathize with her from that point on. Still, it doesn't seem to be working for some. Well, it's a flawed work in the first place; I just appreciate what Nisio is trying to do with the character.

For me, the way the story bends over just to make her right and her crazy power levels are as much part of her character as is her skin color, she was born that way, so I don't exactly pay attention to those details. I focus rather on how she rationalizes her own Sue-ish nature.

Quote:
It all comes down to the question of whether Nisio is brilliant or just a very successful idiot. I'm not really sure these days.
The line between the two is very thin. Either way, it won't stop me from enjoying the heck out of his works. It's really hard to find decent meta-fiction in anime or manga these days.
Old 2013-01-25, 21:29   Link #11806
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Not really the point in question.

One of them is Zenkichi talking about her crazy ideal of helping strangers, and how that makes her unlikeable and might eventually kill her.
The other is her mother reflecting on her crazy ideal of self-sacrificial love to the end, and how that makes her unlikeable and might eventually kill her.

The end result of all her actions are the same, but the points in question have different roots, which is important and what I was referring to.

I guess it also goes to show how Kaisos is right, and she hasn't changed from her past unlikeability.
And why did Medaka want to dedicate her life to strangers, to the point that she thought it was her purpose in life? Because she loves people, yet as a monster, people shun her, this way she can try to connect to people.

And how did this self sacrificial love manifest? By dedicating her life to helping strangers.

Quote:
Sure, but you're missing the point.

The point is that that's an unlikeable motivation. People would be more inclined to believe that Medaka was saving Shiranui for Zenkichi's sake, and that would be more interesting in the grand scheme
I'm not sure how saving someone because your fiancee would like it is more likable than wanting tomsave someone because you like it.

Quote:
The crux here is that Medaka is, like you said, saving her because she loves people, because she wants to be Shiranui's friend. She'd do this for Chougasaki if it were happening with him. She'd do this for any of the people she loves which appeared in the scan. It feels impersonal, and unbelieavable
Again, you miss the point. Past Medaka would have saved Chougasaki not because she cares about him, but because she saves people, her emotions would have played no part in the decision. Current Medaka would save him because she cares about him, that's all. The motivation is completely different.

Quote:
And when you love so broadly, your motivation becomes generic. Just like a generic Shounen hero who self-sacrifices for everyone(what Medaka is doing). She's not Mary Sueing to the point she's Jesus now like before, but it's clear Nishio has no idea how to write a Medaka which many people can enjoy and relate to emotionally.
Regardless, I'm just explaining why certain people find her unlikeable in their interpretation. it's not as if you have to agree with it or anything.
Ah, now I'm starting to get it. One of your problems with Medaka is that she doesn't fit into your arbitrary values of what you consider interesting or relatable.

I also liked the way you added in a vague qualifier like 'many' in order to justify your opinion of why you think Medaka is unlikeable.

Quote:
That's the definition of creating a superflous character: Torai.

Whose only purpose in the series was to get told by Medaka.

See? People are gonna notice an home-in on Nishio's blatent shenanigans
I can agree with you if you say that Torai's character exists for Medaka's sake. Unlike you, I don't add unnecessary connotations to that. She's there for constrast, to pose a question about Medaka, that's all. Anything else is you projecting your own issues on the character.

~~

]

Old 2013-01-25, 21:37   Link #11807
Lupus753

@Endscape: I find that a character doing the exact same thing that they did before, just changing the motivation, to be an extremely weak form of character development. Especially given all the hype for a supposed change that amounted to very little.

Also, what people consider relatable will always be an arbitrary value, given the inherently subjective nature of it.
Lupus753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:09   Link #11808
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
@Endscape: I find that a character doing the exact same thing that they did before, just changing the motivation, to be an extremely weak form of character development. Especially given all the hype for a supposed change that amounted to very little.
Rather than weak, it would be subtle. Motivations aren't as obvious as actions, but they're still important. As they say, it's the journey, not the destination.

Quote:
Also, what people consider relatable will always be an arbitrary value, given the inherently subjective nature of it.
Quite so. My problem is when people try passing it off as objective fact.

Old 2013-01-26, 01:16   Link #11809
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I love all the Medaka fans looking down their noses at the non-fans. You guys like her, that's cool. We don't. Let's just have a difference of opinion and let it go, ok?
This is pretty rich since any time Zen gets a smidgen of shit thrown at him by someone on this forum his defense force leaps to his defense. There's one character fanbase reading this manga who quickly shits on one character and leaps to the defense of their "gawd". So hypocritical but I guess that is human nature.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:52   Link #11810
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
This is pretty rich since any time Zen gets a smidgen of shit thrown at him by someone on this forum his defense force leaps to his defense. There's one character fanbase reading this manga who quickly shits on one character and leaps to the defense of their "gawd". So hypocritical but I guess that is human nature.
I believe we already discussed this a page ago. Both sides have their own people who overreact and start slinging insults.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:03   Link #11811
DawnEmperor

Westlo, there are a fair number of people who don't like Zenkichi but don't keep rambling on about how he's the reason the manga is cancelled. As you once said, Sol Falling is generally pretty reasonable even despite the disagreements. I don't think we need you of all people preaching about this.

In regards to Medaka...sure it's tempting to dislike her, I think it's best to look at it from a story perspective and her role within the general story. She's not the most sympathetic but she has a struggle which is like the flipside to our own. She's trying to find the purpose of her life, while most of us struggle just to be able to achieve dreams.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 12:53   Link #11812
Wolfenstein

Quote:
And why did Medaka want to dedicate her life to strangers, to the point that she thought it was her purpose in life? Because she loves people, yet as a monster, people shun her, this way she can try to connect to people.

And how did this self sacrificial love manifest? By dedicating her life to helping strangers.
It's not because she loves people that she'd help them 24/7. It was because Zenkichi told her that he believed that's what she was born to do. Hence, when he disproved that, she asked him for a reason to live, again.

And, hence, why she still retains her self-sacrificial love, and her self-sacrificial conviction on always winning. She just hasn't, and probably never will, learn to bend her ways. She's the opposite of Professor Tsurubami, who always bent his ways to become happy.

Two very different roots.

Quote:
I'm not sure how saving someone because your fiancee would like it is more likable than wanting tomsave someone because you like it.
In this case, it's a far more interesting, not to mention believable, motivation. For me.

Quote:
Again, you miss the point. Past Medaka would have saved Chougasaki not because she cares about him, but because she saves people, her emotions would have played no part in the decision. Current Medaka would save him because she cares about him, that's all. The motivation is completely different.
And yet, the result is the same.

Can't you see that that's what people find so weak? That's what I was talking about. It's Sueish, it's effortless, and it's a cheap way to write the character differently without actually changing almost any of it's personality, mannerisms, expressions and actions.

Quote:
Ah, now I'm starting to get it. One of your problems with Medaka is that she doesn't fit into your arbitrary values of what you consider interesting or relatable.
No shit?

I mean, seriously.

I explicitly told you this in my post. There's no reason for you to be thinking otherwise, unless you skipped it.

Quote:
I also liked the way you added in a vague qualifier like 'many' in order to justify your opinion of why you think Medaka is unlikeable.
Ok, you need to calm down. Take a deep breath.

It's a fact that many people don't enjoy her character like you do. And it's a fact that many people do.

I'm just telling you my reasoning(and many other's) for not enjoying her.

Quote:
I can agree with you if you say that Torai's character exists for Medaka's sake. Unlike you, I don't add unnecessary connotations to that. She's there for constrast, to pose a question about Medaka, that's all. Anything else is you projecting your own issues on the character.
You don't think a character simply existing to lose a simple argument to another and then completely vanish from meaning in the series makes the character superfluous?

Cause some people...might think of that as the definition of superfluous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus
I find that a character doing the exact same thing that they did before, just changing the motivation, to be an extremely weak form of character development. Especially given all the hype for a supposed change that amounted to very little.

Ok, who are you?!

My clone or something?

Quote:
Quite so. My problem is when people try passing it off as objective fact.
Just because people explain why they dislike her, dosen't mean that they are trying to pass it off as objective. There is a difference, and there also is no need to be so defensive about it.

Last edited by Wolfenstein; 2013-01-26 at 15:16.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 13:42   Link #11813
Lupus753

@Wolfenstein: To be fair, I fully believe that Torai was introduced to represent the new direction of the Flask Plan. But I don't think that really came up much, unfortunately.
Old 2013-01-26, 13:57   Link #11814
Wolfenstein

Quote:
@Wolfenstein: To be fair, I fully believe that Torai was introduced to represent the new direction of the Flask Plan. But I don't think that really came up much, unfortunately.
And I'd agree.

If that were explored with more than just one simple, meaningless sentence...

Until that happens, I'm very unfortunately forced to call her existance superfluous.
Old 2013-01-26, 15:31   Link #11815
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
It's not because she loves people that she'd help them 24/7. It was because Zenkichi told her that he believed that's what she was born to do. Hence, when he disproved that, she asked him for a reason to live, again.

And, hence, why she still retains her self-sacrificial love.

Two very different roots.
A shallow analysis. When Zenkichi told her that, they were basically strangers. Why do you think she took the words of a stranger to heart so easily? Why do you think an existence as far removed from normal people as Medaka was, accepted a world view that connected her to the people that shunned her so easily? Because she loves people, that's why. Hence, connected.

Quote:
In this case, it's a far more interesting, not to mention believable, motivation. For me.
If you say so.

Quote:
And yet, the result is the same.

Can't you see that that's what people find so weak? That's what I was talking about. It's Sueish, it's effortless, and it's a cheap way to write the character differently without actually changing almost any of it's personality, mannerisms and expressions

Yes, the result is the same, but the motivation is different. It's still character development, though of a subtler kind than you may be used to.

Quote:
No shit?

I mean, seriously.

I explicitly told you this in my post. There's no reason for you to be thinking otherwise, unless you skipped it.
Yes, I got what you said. My problem is the fact that it's arbitrary, or to put it more bluntly, inconsistent. I'm sure if we were talking about Kumagawa or Zenkichi, you would find the same thing quite charming. Even that would be OK, if you didn't insinuate that your position ix objective truth.

Quote:
Ok, you need to calm down. Take a deep breath
I'm perfectly calm. I do find it amusing how you're insinuating that I'm being overly emotional and irrational in order to discredit what I'm saying.

Quote:
It's a fact that many people don't enjoy her character like you do. And it's a fact that many people do.

I'm just telling you my reasoning(and many other's) for not enjoying her

I like how you ignored my post there.

I'm perfectly aware that some people don't like Medaka. My problem is the way you use words like 'many' to insinuate that you're in the majority to justify your opinion.

Quote:
You don't think a character simply existing to lose a simple argument to another and then completely vanish from meaning in the series makes the character superfluous?

Cause some people...might think of that as the definition of superfluous
I never disagreed that Torai could be considered superfluous. My problem is that you assigning unnecessary values to that.

Quote:
Just because people explain why they dislike her, dosen't mean that they are trying to pass it off as objective. There is a difference, and there also is no need to be so defensive about it.
I would believe that if you weren't doing that exact same thing.

Old 2013-01-26, 15:50   Link #11816
Lupus753

Quote:
Yes, I got what you said. My problem is the fact that it's arbitrary, or to put it more bluntly, inconsistent. I'm sure if we were talking about Kumagawa or Zenkichi, you would find the same thing quite charming. Even that would be OK, if you didn't insinuate that your position ix objective truth.
Where did he insinuate that his position was objective?

Quote:
I'm perfectly aware that some people don't like Medaka. My problem is the way you use words like 'many' to insinuate that you're in the majority to justify your opinion.
Fair enough, since on the internet it's very difficult (if not impossible) to distinguish between majority opinion and vocal minorities. All I know if that I've encountered plenty of people online who hate her, but that may not mean much.
Old 2013-01-26, 16:11   Link #11817
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Where did he insinuate that his position was objective?
See what you wrote below, that's just an example.

Quote:
Fair enough, since on the internet it's very difficult (if not impossible) to distinguish between majority opinion and vocal minorities. All I know if that I've encountered plenty of people online who hate her, but that may not mean much.
Exactly, unless you've done a poll, or have some omnipotent ability to count who likes what, don't insinuate stuff about the majority. In my opinion, I think it's really just a vocal minority who hate her.

Old 2013-01-26, 16:15   Link #11818
Lupus753

^That does not answer my question at all. He said that many people shared his opinion, he never said or implied that his opinion was objective.
Old 2013-01-26, 16:18   Link #11819
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
^That does not answer my question at all. He said that many people shared his opinion, he never said or implied that his opinion was objective.
I said that was an example. He doesn't say ti outright, but he insinuates it, through such statements like Nisio writing Medaka to be unlikeable, etc.

Old 2013-01-26, 16:25   Link #11820
Wolfenstein

Quote:
A shallow analysis. When Zenkichi told her that, they were basically strangers. Why do you think she took the words of a stranger to heart so easily? Why do you think an existence as far removed from normal people as Medaka was, accepted a world view that connected her to the people that shunned her so easily? Because she loves people, that's why. Hence, connected.
You seem to be overanalyzing. We as fans can sometimes conject things that are not actually in the story with our speculation.

For instance, you're assuming that she completely loved humanity when she was a child without a purpose, and because of that fact, she'd have taken a liking to Zenkichi's suggestion.
When in reality, that's not really in the manga. And she only adopted Zenkichi's suggestion because he was the first person to actually offer a goal in life.
In turn, Kumagawa gave her his thoughts on the matter, but she found his opinion unsatisfactory because his was a position of negative-affirmation(we have no purpose/goal in life).

Basically, her uncompromising love for humanity was born out of her interaction with people, after helping them via Zenkichi's suggestion of a goal. I personally think it's silly to say Medaka at that age already had a uncompromising love of humans, and not supported in the story.

That's the manga's stated reason for her ideology, so I'm sticking to it. Sure it's just one interpretation, but I think it's by far the best one.

Quote:
If you say so.
Quite so.

Quote:
Yes, the result is the same, but the motivation is different. It's still character development, though of a subtler kind than you may be used to.
You could say that.

Though, I'm sure certain people would just call it weak or effortless or just a way for Nishio to shoehorn in development without actually changing the way he writes the charcter.

Which makes it hard for people to feel the development.

Quote:
Even that would be OK, if you didn't insinuate that your position ix objective truth.
Are you serious?

Do you think I'm some evil mastermind trying to trick you into believing in my opinion or trying to make your's look bad or something?

Here, if it helps any:

Any opinion mentioned thus forth is my complete and abject subjective, personal view, and I'm in no way shape or form trying to supress or discredit the opinions and thoughts of others.

There. I trust you won't be confused now?

Quote:
I'm perfectly calm. I do find it amusing how you're insinuating that I'm being overly emotional and irrational in order to discredit what I'm saying.
Well, aren't you?

Here you are, actually stating that I'm trying to objectively prove the truth of my opinion and disprove your's.

Quote:
I'm not saying that to justify an opinion.

I'm saying that because of the number I have observed for both sides.

"Many" is not an affirmation of objective truth. Did you not see me using many for both the people who like Medaka and the people who dislike her?

It's just an affirmation of a bi-polar opinion overall. For example, Kumagawa is universally loved, because so little people dislike him.

Quote:
I never disagreed that Torai could be considered superfluous. My problem is that you assigning unnecessary values to that.
Sure.

I, personally, hate when an author does that to a character.

Quote:
I would believe that if you weren't doing that exact same thing.
I'm just questioning why you think I'm saying something objectively. It leads me to believe you're insecure of your opinion or something.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council