AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-05, 04:05   Link #2361
night_sentinel

As an addition to Requiem-X post about the upcoming game.

I don't need yuri goggles anymore or even read Japanese. The word IPS is prominently displayed and take note this is an official poster. Heck if anyone even have a shred of doubt that Marui and Himeko is a couple. It should be promptly erased with this.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 04:53   Link #2362
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
As an addition to Requiem-X post about the upcoming game.

I don't need yuri goggles anymore or even read Japanese. The word IPS is prominently displayed and take note this is an official poster. Heck if anyone even have a shred of doubt that Marui and Himeko is a couple. It should be promptly erased with this.
Yeah, I think that picture is pretty blatant, lol.

What's the significance of the word "IPS" though? Just curious.
Old 2013-07-05, 05:31   Link #2363
night_sentinel

Its short for induced Pluripotent cells. To cut a long story it will allow two persons of the same sex to have a biological child.

Nodoka popularized it in one of the drama CD which cemented her leanings. ^^
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 05:40   Link #2364
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, I think that picture is pretty blatant, lol.

What's the significance of the word "IPS" though? Just curious.
Quote:
Its short for induced Pluripotent cells. To cut a long story it will allow two persons of the same sex to have a biological child.

DVD specials (picture dramas), to be exact:
[mod edit: removed link to site that host licensed content]

These were based on a couple short/extra chapters which came with the volume releases of the manga. Anyway, one of them is about Yuuki and Nodoka prior to going to Kiyosumi, where Yuuki mentions to Nodoka that it is possible for two women to have children together via Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-06 at 22:53.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 07:22   Link #2365
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
DVD specials (picture dramas), to be exact:
[mod edit: removed link to site that host licensed content]

These were based on a couple short/extra chapters which came with the volume releases of the manga. Anyway, one of them is about Yuuki and Nodoka prior to going to Kiyosumi, where Yuuki mentions to Nodoka that it is possible for two women to have children together via Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells.
Thank you both for your answers.

So this IPS exists in real life too? Interesting. Does that mean that in real life it's now possible for two women to have a child that's the biological child of both of them?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-06 at 22:53.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 08:10   Link #2366
Sol Falling

iPS is still a developing technology with various issues in the methodology of producing/harvesting the cells. Thus it is still only being researched now. However, just last year a Japanese professor was awarded the Nobel prize for work in the field, so it does seem to be a fairly active/leading area of research (incidentally, Ritz published the manga extra probably back in like 2008 or 2009).

Incidentally, iPS combined with a couple other factors (the popularity of mahjong in the Sakiverse, etc) have been the source of some speculation that Saki is set in the future (lol). One analysis based on calendar dates done by a Chinese forum (don't have the links, unfortunately) suggested a timeframe in the 2050s.
Old 2013-07-06, 02:53   Link #2367
Archaeon

Here's the geographic location of Saki Achiga Hen.

http://kbas.ifdef.jp/burari_sakin.html

I didn't read Saki manga but does anyone here know where I can view all Saki manga volume cover page?
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 07:58   Link #2368
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
Here's the geographic location of Saki Achiga Hen.

http://kbas.ifdef.jp/burari_sakin.html

I didn't read Saki manga but does anyone here know where I can view all Saki manga volume cover page?
When I want to do that for a manga series, I take the Japanese title (in this case, 咲 -Saki-) and search for it on Amazon.co.jp. And since there's an anime, you'll probably want to filter to printed books.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 03:41   Link #2369
Archaeon

Question to all manga readers. How is the original Saki release? Is it fast or slow? Can we expect semi final to be covered next year Zenkoku hen?

Again,I didn't read the manga so NO MANGA SPOILER.
Old 2013-07-07, 04:21   Link #2370
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
Question to all manga readers. How is the original Saki release? Is it fast or slow? Can we expect semi final to be covered next year Zenkoku hen?

Again,I didn't read the manga so NO MANGA SPOILER.
The manga is bimonthly (twice a month) but it can be considered slow, since Ritz has a habit of taking breaks. Nonetheless you should expect the semi-final to be part of Zenkoku-hen for any number of reasons, including the fact that the name of the season is Zenkoku-hen, that chronologically not including the semi-finals would end the season before Achiga-hen, and the fact that the semi-finals are going on (with about a year left to spare) in the manga right now.
Old 2013-07-07, 07:17   Link #2371
Archaeon

Quote:
The manga is bimonthly (twice a month) but it can be considered slow, since Ritz has a habit of taking breaks. Nonetheless you should expect the semi-final to be part of Zenkoku-hen for any number of reasons, including the fact that the name of the season is Zenkoku-hen, that chronologically not including the semi-finals would end the season before Achiga-hen, and the fact that the semi-finals are going on (with about a year left to spare) in the manga right now.
How many pages for each chapter release?
Old 2013-07-07, 07:49   Link #2372
Sol Falling

About ~16 pages per chapter.
Old 2013-07-13, 00:07   Link #2373
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Forgive me. But, I'll just be a tiny bit stubborn about this.
No worries. I'm watching Achiga with a friend right now so I'll be keeping an eye out for mentions. (I've already made him watch Saki s1 with me. )

Quote:
Episode 25 said the taisho of the last year's champion school, Shiraitodai. Just as the magazine has introduced Teru as the Taisho of Shiraitodai also. I thought of this as introducing Teru as the Club leader for their team. Since, this conservation happened now, they used the present position. Meaning if Teru was vice-president last year but she became president now. They will use President when talking about her in the current conversation even when talking about Teru's past performance.
Perhaps. I agree that's a plausible interpretation.

Quote:
Teru wasn't definitely the vanguard when Toki joined Senriyama for the Winter/Spring tournament. Remember, Toki joined after the Interhigh. This is why Teru and Toki only battled it out for this current tournament. Anyway, I do agree that Teru could have been the captain player or any other position except Vanguard for this particular tournament. But, do note, that it is a change of the normal line-up for Shiraitodai which has been explicitly said in the text.
Sera says: "It's all because Shiraitodai used a different order for the spring tournament." This doesn't mean that the spring tournament line up was unusual for Teru not being first. It's just different from this Inter-High line up, which is true by virtue of the fact that Teru didn't play vanguard in the spring tournament and in this tournament, she is.

Ep. 10 of Achiga... Kokaji-pro, 9:28 says - "Miyanaga only became the team's first player after this year's Inter-High preliminaries." Which, to me, means she hasn't been vanguard before until *this* tournament.

Quote:
But, for the last year Interhigh, it has been heavily implied that Teru was the vanguard. But, even if it was not the case, one of the position that Teru could not be in is the Captain. Remember what Ryuuka said when she narrated how the team lost to Toki? That they were already behind by so much points before her turn came to play. Ryuuka was the captain in the last year interhigh and that line implied Miyanaga Teru played a position before captain.
Not particularly. I'm inclined to think last year's team was stronger. Last year had 3 third years who graduated. This opens up 3 spots for the incoming Awai and Seiko and Takami.

Sera lost a lot of points as Senriyama's ace (i.e. as Vanguard, the spot that Toki now takes) at last year's Inter-High, but the players she lost to were all 'third years' who suddenly flared up with amazing powers. And none of those silhouettes match Teru's.

Quote:
I chose Vanguard for Teru's position in the last year's interhigh primarily because of Shindouji. Mairu is the vanguard player last year and implied to have lost badly to other aces. We know that Teru has used her magic mirror on Mairu before. So yeah.
It's not clear to me that Mairu lost to Teru in particular as vanguard at the previous Inter-High only that she lost to other aces. I'm not sure they even actually made it far enough in last year's Inter-High tournament to play Shiraitodai since apparently they've been losing early at nationals.

Manga says Teru saw Mairu at the *spring tournament* where we know Teru was not vanguard.

You know... I sort of wonder if Shiraitodai has been using spring tournament to place Teru in weird spots where she can use her mirror on troublesome opponents to gather information for Inter-High...
Old 2013-08-07, 10:15   Link #2374
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Seems like I'm gonna bump an old thread so forgive me here.

I've finished watching the anime for quite a while only and have a very weird question in my mind.

I'm very bothered by what's under the jacket of Takakamo Shizuno. During the tourney when Ako loan her uniform to Shizuno she seems very uncomfortable in it. Her reaction led me to think what Shizuno wears under that jacket since Ako looks a bit disturbed.

Does anyone know? o.O
KanbeKotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 11:13   Link #2375
Sol Falling

Shizuno doesn't wear anything under her jacket...this is shown in a couple of scenes in the anime and loads of official art.
Old 2013-08-07, 14:06   Link #2376
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Shizuno doesn't wear anything under her jacket...this is shown in a couple of scenes in the anime and loads of official art.
Ah that explains why Ako was so uncomfortable. Thanks.

Weird that she grew up that way...considering her childhood was pretty fine. ._.
KanbeKotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 15:14   Link #2377
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
Ah that explains why Ako was so uncomfortable. Thanks.

Weird that she grew up that way...considering her childhood was pretty fine. ._.
and what way is that? No Saki girl wears panties at all.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 18:10   Link #2378
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
and what way is that? No Saki girl wears panties at all.
It's one thing to wear a student uniform and no underwear. It's another thing to wear a jacket and absolutely nothing else. A jacket is meant to be your top layer of clothes, over everything else. Nobody wears just a jacket unless they're trying to seduce someone.
Old 2013-08-07, 21:01   Link #2379
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's one thing to wear a student uniform and no underwear. It's another thing to wear a jacket and absolutely nothing else. A jacket is meant to be your top layer of clothes, over everything else. Nobody wears just a jacket unless they're trying to seduce someone.
Hajime: What would you say about my skirt?
Old 2013-08-07, 21:28   Link #2380
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Hajime: What would you say about my skirt?
To be fair, she technically wears more(?) clothes than Shizu and doesn't enter the national broadcast match with that. I'm curious where she buy those skirts though.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri