AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-06, 09:06   Link #17461
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be fair, I think the reason Karzai said what he said was because he's desperately trying to get Pakistan on his side, who clearly aren't doing enough to fight the terrorists. So I don't think he has much choice in the matter.
Karzai has been playing India against Pakistan for a while now. Only a month ago Afghanistan and India signed a strategic agreement which can't have been well-received in Islamabad.

He also signed a trade deal with China just about a year ago. He even made nice with Russia in January, the first meeting between Afghanistan and the Kremlin since the withdrawal of Soviet forces two decades ago.

It seems like rather normal statecraft to me. After the US completes its withdrawal of forces, Afghanistan is going to have to rely on staying in its neighbors good graces and playing balance-of-power politics.
Old 2011-11-06, 09:18   Link #17462
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'll be honest with you: That was just a guess I was making. I still don't know shit about the current situation...
Old 2011-11-06, 09:41   Link #17463
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'll be honest with you: That was just a guess I was making. I still don't know shit about the current situation...
Actually, nobody does my boy. Nobody does.

We are all making guesses here, and the bolder (not all, but it has a tendency to include the more stupid and wanton attention-seeking media distributors) would call it "analysis".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-11-06, 10:02   Link #17464
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The estimable David Sanger of the New York Times has a very sober piece today on the state of relations between the US and Iran:

Quote:
For all the talk about how “all options are on the table,” Washington says a military strike isn’t worth the risk of war; the Israelis say there may be no other choice. But they have said “this is the last chance” every year since 2005.

All of which raises the question: how much more delay can be bought with a covert campaign of assassination, cyberattacks and sabotage?
Old 2011-11-06, 10:37   Link #17465
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The estimable David Sanger of the New York Times has a very sober piece today on the state of relations between the US and Iran:
Good read. But the recent talk of air strikes puzzles me: if they do plan to carry it out, why announce it to the world? What good will that do?
Old 2011-11-06, 11:39   Link #17466
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Singer Andy Williams reveals he has bladder cancer

I hope he's ok since i love his songs.
Old 2011-11-06, 17:46   Link #17467
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Kickstarter Project Hopes to Build a New Civilization

Quote:
Open source project hopes to create 50 DIY construction machines that can create a sustainable civilization from scratch.

As insane as it may sound, non-profit organization Open Source Ecology has created an ambitious Kickstarter project that hopes to produce all of the essential machines to create a small, sustainable civilization with modern comforts. Called the Global Village Construction Set (GVCS), this project hopes to create an open source network of low-cost, efficient machines that make construction fast and easy.

Global Village Construction Set
With a small goal of $40,000, the team hopes to accomplish a production line of no less than fifty machines, two of which are going to be an open-source car as well as a 3D printer. With only a couple of weeks left, Open Source Ecology has almost reached the $35,000 mark with over 770 backers.

Generous backers will be given the opportunity to broaden their skills and knowledge base with hands-on instruction and workshops. For more information on the project or to join in on the contributions, head on over to the Kickstarter project page here.

Just one more example of how the ideas presented in the Venus Project are common sense and so others have thought of them too.

We just need to do away with FIAT currency to begin transforming our planet.

-----------

Climate Scientists Find Huge Increase in CO2 Emissions

Quote:
Greenhouse emissions exceed worst case scenario
Seth Borenstein
November 5, 2011
WASHINGTON: The global output of carbon dioxide jumped by the biggest amount on record, the US Department of Energy has calculated, a sign of how feeble the world's efforts are at slowing man-made global warming.

The new figures for last year mean that levels of greenhouse gases are higher than the worst-case scenario outlined by climate experts four years ago.

''The more we talk about the need to control emissions, the more they are growing,'' the co-director of the joint program on the science and policy of global change at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), John Reilly, said.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The world pumped about 512 million tonnes more of carbon into the air last year than it did in 2009, an increase of 6 per cent. That amount of extra pollution eclipses the individual emissions of all but three countries - China, the US and India, the world's top producers of greenhouse gases.

Gregg Marland, a professor of geology at Appalachian State University who has helped calculate Department of Energy figures in the past, said the ''monster'' increase was unheard of. Extra pollution in China and the US accounted for more than half the increase in emissions last year, Dr Marland said.

''It's a big jump,'' said the director of the Energy Department's Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Centre at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tom Boden. ''From an emissions standpoint, the global financial crisis seems to be over.''

India and China are huge users of coal. Burning coal is the biggest carbon source worldwide, and emissions from it jumped nearly 8 per cent last year.

In 2007, when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change issued its last large report on global warming, it used different scenarios for carbon dioxide pollution and said the rate of warming would be based on the rate of pollution.

Mr Boden said the latest figures put global emissions higher than the worst-case projections from the climate panel.

Even though global warming sceptics have attacked the climate panel as being too alarmist, scientists have generally found their predictions too conservative, Dr Reilly said.

He said his university worked on emissions scenarios, their likelihood and what would happen. The climate panel's worst-case scenario was about in the middle of what MIT calculated were likely scenarios.

Chris Field, of Stanford University, head of one of the panels working groups, said its emissions scenarios were intended to be more accurate in the long term and were less so in earlier years. The question now among scientists was whether the future was the panel's worst-case scenario ''or something more extreme'', he said.

But Dr Reilly and Andrew Weaver, a climate scientist at the University of Victoria, in Canada, found something good in recent emissions figures. The developed countries that ratified the 1997 Kyoto Protocol greenhouse gas limiting treaty have reduced their emissions overall since then and have achieved their goals of cutting emissions to about 8 per cent below 1990 levels.

In 1990, developed countries produced about 60 per cent of the world's greenhouse gases. Now it is probably less than 50 per cent, Dr Reilly said.

''We really need to get the developing world because if we don't, the problem is going to be running away from us,'' Dr Weaver said. ''And the problem is pretty close from running away from us.''

Associated Press
Old 2011-11-06, 19:04   Link #17468
Xion Valkyrie

The GVCS totally reminds me of GECK.
Old 2011-11-06, 21:40   Link #17469
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wondered how much of the increase in CO2 pollutants between 2009 and 2010 came about because of recovery from the global recession in 2008-2009. If you look at the actual data, and not just the media reports, you'll see the CO2 production fell substantially in 2009 in the Western Hemisphere and Europe, where the effects of the recession were greatest. In the rest of the world CO2 production grew each year from 2008 through 2010. North American CO2 output was actually lower in 2010 than it was in 2008.

Source: http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/emis/pe...estimates.html

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-11-07 at 08:54. Reason: added link to source document
Old 2011-11-06, 22:23   Link #17470
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
I wondered how much of the increase in CO2 pollutants between 2009 and 2010 came about because of recovery from the global recession in 2008-2009. If you look at the actual data, and not just the media reports, you'll see the CO2 production fell substantially in 2009 in the Western Hemisphere and Europe, where the effects of the recession were greatest. In the rest of the world CO2 production grew each year from 2008 through 2010. North American CO2 output was actually lower in 2010 than it was in 2008.
Interesting table, may i have the source for it?
Old 2011-11-06, 23:15   Link #17471
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Greece seals sketchy coalition deal under EU pressure
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7M601O20111107
Old 2011-11-06, 23:19   Link #17472
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Good read. But the recent talk of air strikes puzzles me: if they do plan to carry it out, why announce it to the world? What good will that do?
They don't want to get their hands dirty, so some Israeli sympathisers would do the work on their behalf.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-11-07, 00:47   Link #17473
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, if you tell them you are planning on doing an air strike, they will plan to defend against that. So when you come in with a drill tank or something on the ground, they wouldn't be ready for it at all.

Basically the Iranians will be looking in the wrong direction. Especially if the attack comes from Russia's direction.
Old 2011-11-07, 01:00   Link #17474
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, if you tell them you are planning on doing an air strike, they will plan to defend against that. So when you come in with a drill tank or something on the ground, they wouldn't be ready for it at all.

Basically the Iranians will be looking in the wrong direction. Especially if the attack comes from Russia's direction.
How would anyone from the Eastern side want to whack Iran? Especially when Russia has got good relationships with Iran?

Old 2011-11-07, 03:04   Link #17475
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Unexpected directions...and compliance with treaties (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty that Iran did sign just like China nd Russia have.)

But mostly just an example of misdirection.
Old 2011-11-07, 05:44   Link #17476
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
How would anyone from the Eastern side want to whack Iran? Especially when Russia has got good relationships with Iran?
If they end up acting too much like a ''loose canon'' even russia or china might start to worries about them, no ?
Old 2011-11-07, 06:55   Link #17477
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If they end up acting too much like a ''loose canon'' even russia or china might start to worries about them, no ?
As long as they have another leverage against US, they won't. Both of them tolerated NK for a few decades already, so they might tolerate Iran as their counterweight in the Mideast to US's Saudi Arabia.

Old 2011-11-07, 07:40   Link #17478
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Unexpected directions...and compliance with treaties (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty that Iran did sign just like China nd Russia have.)
the same treaty Israel, Pakistan (and India) signed but violated in the end? Oh That treaty ... I thought it was an useless treaty.
I still ask myself how we decided that we can attain world-wide peace when a few countries have it and others don't.

Today is a great day, I'm feeling like making a parallel with touhou and the peace between youkai and human but I will refrain from doing so.
Old 2011-11-07, 07:53   Link #17479
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
They're just talking. Even if Bibi and Barack have enough stupidity, they don't have enough guts.
We hear "We should attack Iran" every Monday and Thursday.
Old 2011-11-07, 11:15   Link #17480
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Israel, Pakistan and India, to my knowledge, never signed that treaty. Other countries didn't sign the treaty until much later, as recently as 2003 or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear...eration_Treaty

Oddly enough, going by what has been reported more recently verses what the treaty says, if Israel had signed, it would have been classed as a Nuclear Power, as it already had atomic weapons before the treaty was signed.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international