AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-09, 12:27   Link #1861
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Well in fairness, shouldn't the 30-second teaser demonstrate the show at its best? As in, wouldn't it make sense for the footage shown in that teaser to be some of the higher quality content in the show? So if people don't like how the preview looks, that could very well be a bad sign.
Well Sailor Moon is well known franchise. They wouldn't show the best scenes from the anime - like transformations, attacks, fights. They wouldn't reveal much of it as most people know the story, and it would spoil it for them. It's just my opinion. If they show the fight scene and the transformation, who would buy tickets for the premier event for the first episode - as an introduction to the story, the transformation and the fight with Morga is like the best in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSmtBzNhQ7Q
This the first "trailer" for the first Sailor Moon anime. They revealed some more characters, as it was new then, but still didn't show the best in it. It's not eve drawn by Kazuko Tadano - the character designer.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-06-09 at 13:38.
Old 2014-06-09, 13:06   Link #1862
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
Actually I don't like him much, I was hyped when I saw him but when I look at him now... He looks more like doctor Tomoe. Of course, it's just a sketch. By the way the first episode's title is the same as the first chapter in the manga "Usagi - Sailor Moon".

There is even a short and very strange synopsis, something like "As an ally of justice Sailor V is trying to solve a robbery at the grand opening of jewelry shop, while Usagi decides to visit Naru-chan's on they way back home ..." It makes me thing that the first episode will start with a scene of Sailor V catching the robberies (hope it's cool action scene) - the event, described in the newspaper Mama Ikuko is reading in the first chapter of the manga. I think it would be a nice start seeing Sailor V as she started it all ( and because she is the best, obviously) Please if I got lost in translation and someone is got at Japanese - correct me. Still a newbie with my Japanese studies
*Digs up Volume 1 of Sailor moon and looks at the first chapter title*

By joe, you're right! This sure is telling! And that would be a pretty cool opening for the episode, with Sailor V stopping some robbers. Especially since, to this day, Minako was cheated out of her own series.
Old 2014-06-09, 13:32   Link #1863
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I don't think they meant that they preferred different scenes to be shown in the trailer, they would have preferred higher quality And that is perfectly legitimate an expectation, given that the purpose of a trailer is to attract interest from potential viewers and give people an idea of what to expect. It is an advertisement, at the end of the day. You don't show your products weaknesses, you present it in the most favourable light possible.
If anything, a trailer should look better than the finished product, not worse. It's worth producing some extra-nice work for it, even if the show can not keep up that quality..... and... well...they undoubtedly did not do that.
A trailer shouldn't leave people saying things like "Hopefully the finished product will look better", "that wasn't as terrible as i feared", "It could have been worse", "I'm having mixed feelings" etc.
Technically, if that's how a lot of people react, you've failed.
So, I can understand people judging the show based on that, even if it's short- precisely because a trailer is meant to be an advertisement, presenting things in a better light than they are in the actual product...
The old trailer is actually better, taking into account its age and that trailers may not have been as important back then- it's not using any particularly lazy or derpy frames (the animation used looks relatively solid for it's time), Kotono does not sound like she is falling asleep at the job (Luna's VA does)...

As for Mamoru, I actually really like how he looks in the first volume. Am I weird? Although I don't like him very much after that, personally (sorry).
And Arina-sensei can make anything look pretty! Her versions of the scouts are gorgeous too. Ah, I miss her manga now.
Old 2014-06-09, 17:59   Link #1864
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with what Faerie wrote above, but there is something here that can probably leave more worried fans with at least a glimmer of hope.

My observation has been that anime (and perhaps Japan in general) seems to have a very different approach to PVs/trailers than the west does.

In the west, movie trailers are typically designed to really pump you up, and showcase at least a tiny sample of the very best that the full movie has to offer. It's at the point where many people, myself included, find trailers rather entertaining in and of themselves (in extreme cases, the trailer may even be better than the movie it's promoting ).

With anime PVs and trailers, my impression is that the philosophy is different. They seem to aim to just lightly whet the appetite of the viewers. To sort of tease them with the tiniest glimpse of what's in store for them. The aim seems to be to pique curiosity rather than to get a full-fledged hype train going.

Personally, I prefer the more Hollywood approach to trailers, but there are two positives to the anime approach:

1. You don't get a scenario like you did with one of the Iron Man movies, as I recall. I know many people said that if you pieced all the trailers together, you pretty much had a good full synopsis of the movie plot. At which point... why pay the price of admission to watch it? Anime trailers avoid this.

2. The quality of the anime may well be better than what you see in the trailer.
Old 2014-06-09, 19:49   Link #1865
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Well in fairness, shouldn't the 30-second teaser demonstrate the show at its best? As in, wouldn't it make sense for the footage shown in that teaser to be some of the higher quality content in the show? So if people don't like how the preview looks, that could very well be a bad sign.
Agreed. A preview is supposed to get you hyped. This is not.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-06-09, 20:13   Link #1866
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

My past connection to this series is so hilarious, I'm going to religously follow Sailormoon Crystal to make up for that folly

Seriously, those legs, it's been so long
Old 2014-06-09, 20:15   Link #1867
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
No. It's only 30 seconds of footage. I'd expect better animation at the 1-3 min promos later on in the season. This is just a little blurb to let people know that the show is coming and wet their appetites for the paid event.

First ep will probably be shown in a paid event before the scheduled broadcast. So the best animation will be at this event (if there is one scheduled) and not on tv.
Old 2014-06-10, 01:46   Link #1868
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I totally forgot to mention that I'm glad Crystal isn't drawing Usagi with that DORKY WHITE MASK from manga chapter 1 because lorrrrrrrrd, is it DORKY.

What is it with Naoko and dorky masks?
Old 2014-06-10, 06:29   Link #1869
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I totally forgot to mention that I'm glad Crystal isn't drawing Usagi with that DORKY WHITE MASK from manga chapter 1 because lorrrrrrrrd, is it DORKY.

What is it with Naoko and dorky masks?
Maybe this mask was a tribute to Sailor V, just for the first chapter.
Old 2014-06-10, 14:05   Link #1870
T-6000

I was actually thinking that it was an idea that Naoko had, for Sailor Moon to have her own pair of White Goggles (I'm guessing to help see through illusions) but decided to drop it. Though I could have sworn that on rare occasions, later in the series, she's use the goggles to help see what was actually going to.
Old 2014-06-10, 14:43   Link #1871
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
I was actually thinking that it was an idea that Naoko had, for Sailor Moon to have her own pair of White Goggles (I'm guessing to help see through illusions) but decided to drop it. Though I could have sworn that on rare occasions, later in the series, she's use the goggles to help see what was actually going to.
Yes, just cheked it. You remember it right.

"The Moon Mask (simply known as Mask or Goggles) was the mask that Sailor Moon wore earlier in the manga. She first wore this mask when she transformed in Act 1 - Usagi, Sailor Moon. She can see who is in danger and real identites of monsters with them. They later disappeared while the series prograssed."

More news: Munehisa Sakai, the director of the anime, confirmes that Sailor Moon Crystal will be targeted towards adult audience, promising spectacular transformation sequences and some modern technolgoy, places and fashion.
Update: One of the best animatiors in Teoi Animation Naotoshi Shida is workig on Sailor Moon. He worked on fighting and action scnenes for Sailor Moon R the Movie, Dragon Ballz, One Piece some Pretty Cure stuff, including one of the best (if it's not even the best) transformations in PreCure's history. The fact that he has worked mostly for their movies and OVAs is eloquent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmkcQX0i2vE Cure Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWUxo4DoCM#t=18 - Other examples of his work

Last edited by minaku; 2014-06-11 at 01:51.
Old 2014-06-11, 01:13   Link #1872
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with what Faerie wrote above, but there is something here that can probably leave more worried fans with at least a glimmer of hope.

My observation has been that anime (and perhaps Japan in general) seems to have a very different approach to PVs/trailers than the west does.

In the west, movie trailers are typically designed to really pump you up, and showcase at least a tiny sample of the very best that the full movie has to offer. It's at the point where many people, myself included, find trailers rather entertaining in and of themselves (in extreme cases, the trailer may even be better than the movie it's promoting ).

With anime PVs and trailers, my impression is that the philosophy is different. They seem to aim to just lightly whet the appetite of the viewers. To sort of tease them with the tiniest glimpse of what's in store for them. The aim seems to be to pique curiosity rather than to get a full-fledged hype train going.

Personally, I prefer the more Hollywood approach to trailers, but there are two positives to the anime approach:

1. You don't get a scenario like you did with one of the Iron Man movies, as I recall. I know many people said that if you pieced all the trailers together, you pretty much had a good full synopsis of the movie plot. At which point... why pay the price of admission to watch it? Anime trailers avoid this.

2. The quality of the anime may well be better than what you see in the trailer.
That would mostly be because the majority of anime trailers consist of material done from the first episode. because that's all that is done a month or so before launch. Whereas movie trailers, that are full on and not teases have the entire movie to select from.

That's why you get stuff like Soul Eater Not! PVs consisting of entirely episode 1 footage whereas Amazing Spider Man 2 all but tells you everything that happened in the movie.

Also Iron Man 3 trailer "was" telling everything about the movie to the point I wasn't even hyped about it but they threw in a massive twist that made some fanboys rage hard.
Old 2014-06-11, 03:34   Link #1873
T-6000

Quote:
More news: Munehisa Sakai, the director of the anime, confirmes that Sailor Moon Crystal will be targeted towards adult audience, promising spectacular transformation sequences and some modern technolgoy, places and fashion.
Update: One of the best animatiors in Teoi Animation Naotoshi Shida is workig on Sailor Moon. He worked on fighting and action scnenes for Sailor Moon R the Movie, Dragon Ballz, One Piece some Pretty Cure stuff, including one of the best (if it's not even the best) transformations in PreCure's history. The fact that he has worked mostly for their movies and OVAs is eloquent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmkcQX0i2vE Cure Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWUxo4DoCM#t=18 - Other examples of his work
I figured that they would update pop culture and technology for modern standards, and I think it's for the best. While I am hoping for a closer adaptation of the Manga, using early 90s pop culture and tech would just seem too awkward. What comes to mind is the video rental store in the Dark Kindgom arc, where the VHS tapes were brainwashing people. I'd imagine in the new Anime they'll be renting DVDs or Blue Rays. But I wonder what they'll do for the Codename Sailor V arcade machine? Will they give it an upgrade or keep it the same? And if they do change and update the arcade machine, what sort of changes will they make?

I also saw some of the action scenes in those YouTube clips, and if he (Naotoshi Shida) was responsible for those scenes I'll definitely look forward to the action scenes in the new Anime. I was especially blown away with the action scenes in the Sailor Moon R movie when I first saw it. The action scenes look so well done, especially compared to the TV Anime (Hell, until a few months before I saw the R movie I never knew there were any Sailor Moon movies!) and it helped with the overall dramatic tone of the movie (which was especially dark when compared to the first and second season of the TV Anime).
Old 2014-06-11, 08:17   Link #1874
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
I also saw some of the action scenes in those YouTube clips, and if he (Naotoshi Shida) was responsible for those scenes I'll definitely look forward to the action scenes in the new Anime. I was especially blown away with the action scenes in the Sailor Moon R movie when I first saw it. The action scenes look so well done, especially compared to the TV Anime (Hell, until a few months before I saw the R movie I never knew there were any Sailor Moon movies!) and it helped with the overall dramatic tone of the movie (which was especially dark when compared to the first and second season of the TV Anime).
Just hearing that Shida is involved should guarantee at least some great animation... That said, do keep in mind that he only contributes short sequences every once in a while. Like, his input in One Piece was mentioned... he might animate a one-or-two-minute sequence every ten episodes or so. Or in DBZ Battle of Gods, he provided a roughly minute-long scene of Goku and Beerus fighting in the sky, with the rest of the movie being handled by others... and that one scene was so much better animated than the rest of the movie that it was downright jarring.
Old 2014-06-11, 12:36   Link #1875
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Just hearing that Shida is involved should guarantee at least some great animation... That said, do keep in mind that he only contributes short sequences every once in a while. Like, his input in One Piece was mentioned... he might animate a one-or-two-minute sequence every ten episodes or so. Or in DBZ Battle of Gods, he provided a roughly minute-long scene of Goku and Beerus fighting in the sky, with the rest of the movie being handled by others... and that one scene was so much better animated than the rest of the movie that it was downright jarring.
Yes, but One Piece is a very long saga. Sailor Moon Crystal will be 26 episodes ( if they don't decide to make the rest of the story, which will make it longer, but still not comparable to One Piece) but yeah, he might be like Kazuko Tadano, being a character designer for the first two seasons of the classic anime, having 13 episodes directed by her ( 13 of 89, lol). . Her first episode was the 6th one if i recall correctly, then is the 12th, then 17th etc. Let'shope he will be the one to make op/ed and/or transformations. Actually it turns out that the animation director of the first episode of Crystal won't be the character designer Yukie Sako either. It will be Kozue Komatsu, so we still haven't seen anything animated by her, except for stills and artwork of the guardians.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-06-11 at 15:36.
Old 2014-06-12, 03:21   Link #1876
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Yes, but One Piece is a very long saga. Sailor Moon Crystal will be 26 episodes ( if they don't decide to make the rest of the story, which will make it longer, but still not comparable to One Piece) but yeah, he might be like Kazuko Tadano, being a character designer for the first two seasons of the classic anime, having 13 episodes directed by her ( 13 of 89, lol). .
Shida doesn't do full episodes, period. His style seems to be to single-handedly animate brief sequences (whereas normally you'd have one person responsible for drawing the keyframes, with the less important in-between animation being handled by other people). Whether it be in One Piece, DBZ, PreCure or whatever else, he has never contributed anything more than a single sequence in an episode otherwise helmed by someone else. The length of One Piece VS the length of Sailor Moon has no impact on that.
Old 2014-06-12, 12:40   Link #1877
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Damn. That thing Sailor Venus holding looks lewd
Old 2014-06-12, 15:41   Link #1878
Casshern

The "love-me chain"?
Spoiler for it has its uses:

Supposed to look like this but oh well...
Old 2014-06-12, 15:53   Link #1879
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Westlo - Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
The "love-me chain"?
Spoiler for it has its uses:
Awesome fan-art. Thanks for sharing!
Old 2014-06-12, 16:09   Link #1880
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Damn. That thing Sailor Venus holding looks lewd
Yup, but being Venus makes sense in a way...
Images
it doesn't look as much like ... in action though
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2014-06-12 at 21:28. Reason: Use the images tag or a thumbnail when posting large images.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo