AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-06, 14:36   Link #1
luffy

Send a message via MSN to luffy
Questions about Mac/Linux

I was just wondering, are the Mac OSs able to be installed on other brandname computers? Such as Dell or Compaq? Since I've heard they were very stable and it's the only other OS I know of that can run Adobe products and The Sims.

Also, Can Linux run these? (Adobe Photoshop mainly and The Sims) and I just wanted to confirm, can Linux be installed on a Compaq?

PS: Can Linux/Mac be networked with a Windows Computer
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 16:52   Link #2
DeHackEd

Mac operating systems will only run on Mac hardware. The CPU and other hardware is different byond compatibility with what Intel brands. It just won't work.

Linux, however, is compatible with many CPUs, including x86 and PowerPC (Mac) and many others. As for compatibility with Mac programs on a PPC Linux distro, I couldn't say.

And yes, Linux is network compatible with many different systems. They're all ultimately TCP/IP. It's just a matter of finding the right file sharing system. Samba will get you onto Windows.
DeHackEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 22:18   Link #3
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Mac can only run on Apple systems. There were some 3rd party companies which did make Apple compatible systems but Steve Jobs killed these companies. You are out of luck.

Adobe Photoshop can run on some Linux platforms. You will need to buy the UNIX version. I have Photoshop 6.0 for Unix and it runs OK on Redhat. It crashes a lot though. I am playing with Virtual PC to get photoshop CS for Win to work but so far have little luck.
________
Chevrolet Bel Air Specifications

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:27.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 00:04   Link #4
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Well, like they said: No OSX on a pc. And macs will network with anything.

but to get really nerdy about it.... Darwin (the kernel for OSX) is also made fot the PC platform, but the graphical interface (OSX) is Apple only. So you still can't run any pretty looking macintosh programs on a pc.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 00:16   Link #5
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
Well, like they said: No OSX on a pc. And macs will network with anything.

but to get really nerdy about it.... Darwin (the kernel for OSX) is also made fot the PC platform, but the graphical interface (OSX) is Apple only. So you still can't run any pretty looking macintosh programs on a pc.
The drivers that is included with OSX are Macintosh only too. You will need a Mac compatible video card, compatible mac network card, compatible mac wireless card, etc. You cannot add any 3rd party system and find a generic driver like for the PC. This goes for UNIX too. UNIX requires UNIX compatible card. Linux/PC drivers are pretty much "generic." (generic in the sense that you can install an equiv driver if necessary to get it to work).

We had a lot of problems adding a FC card to our X-Serve. We ended up getting a Apple FC card. This goes with Mac video Cards. Case in point, at MacWorld, the new 30" monitor for the Mac requires at least a G5 and ATI(?) Mac High end video card. I think the video setup was about $3000 US.
________
Colorado dispensaries

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:27.
Old 2004-07-07, 00:29   Link #6
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Case in point, at MacWorld, the new 30" monitor for the Mac requires at least a G5 and ATI(?) Mac High end video card. I think the video setup was about $3000 US.
$600 nVidia 6800 Ultra. But that is because it is a custom built card with dual DVI out to drive all that data to the monitor.

and... $3200 for the most kick ass monitor ever made.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:11   Link #7
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

It is a very sweet monitor but I would not shell out that much money ---- yet!
________
Starcraft replays

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:28.
Old 2004-07-09, 00:31   Link #8
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

umm yah from what i here actually mac's can be run on pc verry slowly and buggy mind you, http://kevinrose.typepad.com/kr/2004..._running_.html

i havent tryed this out myself so i am not shure if it works.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 21:48   Link #9
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by luffy
Also, Can Linux run these? (Adobe Photoshop mainly and The Sims) and I just wanted to confirm, can Linux be installed on a Compaq?
Yeah. You can run Photoshop through Wine on Linux and it works pretty well too. I've done it.

As for the Sims. Chances are you can run that through WineX unless there is a Linux port of it.

Check here for details: http://www.transgaming.com/
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote