AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-16, 18:49   Link #61
Rehwyn

I thought none of the seasons were bad, but TSR is easily my favorite. Great action, story, and character development with enough comedy to keep things from deviating too far from the FMP "feel". It was great to see Sosuke and Kaname break out of their typical protector/dependent molds and become stronger as a result.

The other two seasons are closer, but I still have to say that I enjoyed the first season more than Fumoffu. Fumoffu was hilarious and all, but it lacked the overall story and character development that the other two seasons have, which are two things I crave.

Now if/when the fourth season comes out, I might have to bump TSR down a notch to second-favorite.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:58   Link #62
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehwyn View Post
I thought none of the seasons were bad, but TSR is easily my favorite. Great action, story, and character development with enough comedy to keep things from deviating too far from the FMP "feel". It was great to see Sosuke and Kaname break out of their typical protector/dependent molds and become stronger as a result.

The other two seasons are closer, but I still have to say that I enjoyed the first season more than Fumoffu. Fumoffu was hilarious and all, but it lacked the overall story and character development that the other two seasons have, which are two things I crave.

Now if/when the fourth season comes out, I might have to bump TSR down a notch to second-favorite.
It's great to know that there ARE people out there who think like me. =)

I usually feel like part of a tiny minority when I say that Fumoffu is the FMP-installment I enjoyed the least. ^^
Old 2007-09-16, 19:08   Link #63
Echoes

I recently got around to watching The Second Raid and Fumoffu, and I would have to say that the Second Raid is by far the best of the three. The first season was pretty average in my eyes, it was entertaining, but nothing extraordinary, that goes for both plot, animation and art. Fumofuu was funny at times, but it didn't really strike me as outrageously hilarious.

The Second Raid is a whole different story, though. The animations and quality was gorgeous, and combined with the introduction of some new characters, gave the show a refreshing new look. I thoroughly enjoyed TSR, it felt more serious than the first season too, somehow.
I couldn't resist Tessa in TSR either, she looked stunning. Granted, I was head over heels for her the first season as well.
Old 2007-09-16, 21:40   Link #64
Dragon_Ninja

I really liked all 3 series, and I feel that they each have some unique feature to them, that isn't found quite as much in the other ones. To me, each have something very special about them, and when you combine all 3 series, FMP becomes an awesome anime (as if each series wasn't already awesome on their own anyways ).
Old 2008-01-05, 06:08   Link #65
Moonbase

I haven't watched Fumoffu yet but if my assumption that it's a comedy is correct then I think my opinion of the 2 most similar seasons should be adquate. I honestly felt like the first season wasn't good. It was trying to be a robot anime, a high-school anime and a love story all at the same time but didn't pull it off. As a result, I found that all 3 areas felt disjointed when taken together as a whole. The Second Raid was much better in my opinion and managed to wrap up the 3 aspects of the anime in a much better package than the first season did with half the episodes.
Old 2008-01-08, 17:06   Link #66
Teh2ndrunner
History Fanatic

My fav FMP series has to be TSR

- It shows a darker side to the light hearted storyline which really was a breath of fresh air after Fumoffu . Although the 2nd was a gd series it lacked any real char development and each episode was more of a complete story in itself - no episodes followed on ... no continueity. I loved its comedic value tho - to make it clear i'm not saying it's bad or anything.
- The first series I would say comes 2nd as it combine all genres together to make a larger - more vaired series ( although 24 eps makes it viable to fillers etc).
- I'm more an action / fighting guy and TSR offered the most realistic ( for mech combat and well animated fight scenes ( not just AS but hand to hand too).
- I also like the dark humour aspect to things therefore Gates was teh man for me TBH. I've even done a top 5 FMP char AMV with the greatest dark humour , kickass fighter , intelligant villian at the top
- My only criticism of TSR was that it was too short and !!! leaves us on such a high cliffhanger we immediately want a new series. It was like - enemy = Amalgam , there're no where near destroyed but wht the hell we will end the series there. I mean come on! It would be fine if they had finised TSR there THEN followed it on rapidly .... but no ..... Well there's my rant about 'we all want more' , I know everyone else does .
Old 2008-01-16, 20:43   Link #67
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

fumoffu cuz is that funny...the other fmp animes are good too but fumoffu is the BEST

i'm actually more into the school life, kaname/sousuke interaction, tessa/sousuke interaction, than the rest of what fmp is about, i'm not saying i dont like the arm-slave mayhem and villian plots; they are good too but the previous is my favorite part of this show
Old 2008-01-21, 21:25   Link #68
X10A_Freedom

The villains stank in FMP S1 and TSR. Deranged sick people aren't my cup of tea. There was some good action but they stuffed far too many cliches into the action (Chidori runs down a STRAIGHT passage down the sub. A professional trained mercenary shoots at her but misses every shot is one huge cliche).

FMP TSR easily betters season 1 in my opinion because I found there was better character interaction and understanding between Chidori and Sousuke. My fav however is Fumoffu because the slice in FMP is simply stupendously funny which is what kept me watching the series. The battles/actions are a little dry and lack "something" but the slice is extreme!
Old 2008-01-29, 13:24   Link #69
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Sobresaliente Send a message via MSN to Sobresaliente
Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
The villains stank in FMP S1 and TSR. Deranged sick people aren't my cup of tea. There was some good action but they stuffed far too many cliches into the action (Chidori runs down a STRAIGHT passage down the sub. A professional trained mercenary shoots at her but misses every shot is one huge cliche).

FMP TSR easily betters season 1 in my opinion because I found there was better character interaction and understanding between Chidori and Sousuke. My fav however is Fumoffu because the slice in FMP is simply stupendously funny which is what kept me watching the series. The battles/actions are a little dry and lack "something" but the slice is extreme!
so most evil people that have messed up ideas on morals and how they should carry themselves, tend to be deranged or mentally imbalanced in some way , so it only makes sense to have them like that. There is nothing wrong with the bad guys in any of the series.

and the fact that it was raining hard, windy, and your on top of a rather large building with fog and such has some affect on visibility, so yes some of the shots should not have missed, but it has to be somewhat cliche otherwise u want to kill of kaname? pls dont even pull out cliche bull crap. Every anime or movie has some sort of cliche, so u must not like anything then? but its ur opinion.

The art of TSR was immaculate

How they portray Kaname's and Sousuke's dependency on each other TRULY shows how much they care for one another, it was romance and drama to the extreme.

Every episode was great, perhaps perfect, but by far eps. 6-13 were the greatest succession of episodes, no anime can compare. how the characters acted and reacted towards what they experienced was perfect. You got to see how Sousuke, Kaname, and Tessa are so deeply connected and how each of then explode emotionally!!!!!!!!! and how these problems they face make then react either beneficially or negatively.

And near the end of the series, how sousuke broke free of his "dog" mold and began speaking what was on his mind, how he patched things up with Tessa, and how he WANTED to hug kaname when she was crying on his chest....... the ending scene on the train was perfect, i wish that scene could last forever it was amazing.

TSR is by far the best season of FMP and the best anime ever, it has everything, art, drama, romance, action, plot, character development, etc.

Now we just have to wait for the next installment, Mr. Silver will be a great villain.... the trials that await sousuke, kaname, and tessa will be unreal, this next season NEEDS TO COME OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Sobresaliente; 2008-01-29 at 13:42.
Old 2008-02-10, 22:08   Link #70
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
I like them both, but Fumoffu wins it for me its just so funny. The first one was good but Im not big on mecha......btw someone said the first one was Ecchi....i dont see how it's ecchi?
Old 2008-02-15, 13:30   Link #71
Teh2ndrunner
History Fanatic

Quote:
And near the end of the series, how sousuke broke free of his "dog" mold and began speaking what was on his mind, how he patched things up with Tessa, and how he WANTED to hug kaname when she was crying on his chest....... the ending scene on the train was perfect, i wish that scene could last forever it was amazing.

TSR is by far the best season of FMP and the best anime ever, it has everything, art, drama, romance, action, plot, character development, etc.

Now we just have to wait for the next installment, Mr. Silver will be a great villain.... the trials that await sousuke, kaname, and tessa will be unreal, this next season NEEDS TO COME OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha , yeah it seems Sousuke is beginning to 'look towards the future' as it were. Your right , the last scene was fitting , but one must beg the question , why didn;t we get more in TSR ? or 'It was too short'

Yeah , TSR has everything , although it takes the focus away from school life alittle and concentrates on Mithril

Too true , Silver will be a gd bad guy . I just hope we see a little more dialogue between Sagara and Leonard in the anime .... which I hope will come soon !!!

Quote:
The art of TSR was immaculate
Too true , I loved the 1st series , but TSR art made it seem insignificant in comparison
Old 2008-02-15, 19:18   Link #72
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh2ndrunner View Post
Too true , Silver will be a gd bad guy . I just hope we see a little more dialogue between Sagara and Leonard in the anime .... which I hope will come soon !!!

hahah teh2nddrunner knows whats up LOL yes, i wonder how he will act when Leonard tells him he kissed kaname (you know this will be brought up to make sousuke mad... "Kaname and I, what a pair we would make. her soft and beautiful lips... how i wish to kiss them again" or something like that. HULK SMASH <=====Sousuke!!!!)

short yes, but i think it finished everything it needed, and was not spotty with it. i felt it was jam packed with emotional goodness, action, plot, etc. adn they delivered all of it and finished it superbly... and obviously they would leave Mr.Silver open adn teh feelings of kaname and sousuke open as well....... oh how the fog that is FMP thickens *shivers*
Old 2008-02-16, 17:22   Link #73
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
I don't think Leonard's going to be so much a bad guy, I see him more helping Mithril in the end.

Spoiler for Future of FMP:
Old 2008-02-17, 01:00   Link #74
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm i read your spoiler, there are many names that i have no clue about, i have not read any of the novels so i am lost in your explanation.... i see where your coming from, but having him with mithril i can see problems. BUT WTF you have or are reading the novel so you know more than me man.
Old 2008-02-18, 02:22   Link #75
Autumnaki
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobresaliente View Post
hahah teh2nddrunner knows whats up LOL yes, i wonder how he will act when Leonard tells him he kissed kaname (you know this will be brought up to make sousuke mad... "Kaname and I, what a pair we would make. her soft and beautiful lips... how i wish to kiss them again" or something like that. HULK SMASH <=====Sousuke!!!!)

short yes, but i think it finished everything it needed, and was not spotty with it. i felt it was jam packed with emotional goodness, action, plot, etc. adn they delivered all of it and finished it superbly... and obviously they would leave Mr.Silver open adn teh feelings of kaname and sousuke open as well....... oh how the fog that is FMP thickens *shivers*

OMG I want that so bad. HULKSMASH!SOUSUKE would be soooo awesome and satisfying to see. XD

I really enjoyed all of the seasons. I personally don't think Season 1 was trying to be the stereotypical high-school, mecha, or romance that many people thought it was. I thought FMP was its own original thought and creation. If people want more comedy or school-life then watch fumoffu or read the short stories. XD

I really liked the artwork and action in TSR. Kyoani did an AWESOME JOB WITH IT. They managed to fit alot into only a few episodes. I think it's my favorite only because the feelings and emotions seemed so much stronger. Characters were out of their typical roles and comfort zones.

Now I want a season 4. XD
Old 2008-02-18, 11:57   Link #76
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnaki View Post
OMG I want that so bad. HULKSMASH!SOUSUKE would be soooo awesome and satisfying to see. XD

I really enjoyed all of the seasons. I personally don't think Season 1 was trying to be the stereotypical high-school, mecha, or romance that many people thought it was. I thought FMP was its own original thought and creation. If people want more comedy or school-life then watch fumoffu or read the short stories. XD

I really liked the artwork and action in TSR. Kyoani did an AWESOME JOB WITH IT. They managed to fit alot into only a few episodes. I think it's my favorite only because the feelings and emotions seemed so much stronger. Characters were out of their typical roles and comfort zones.

Now I want a season 4. XD
Autumn, your a smart girl xD agreed, the emotional highs and lows were unreal which just made the series that much MORE ENJOYABLE!!!! personally tho,i think the next season with Mr. Silver will be even more dramatic and overwhelming.

and teh point you made about it not being a typical hs drama etc, i think that is by far one of the best observations that noone has pointed out, until now, i agree 110% with your statement!!!

btw live in your garage, oh man that must suck! lol xD
Old 2008-07-03, 23:05   Link #77
sainclaire
This space for rent.

Send a message via AIM to sainclaire
I don't think I've ever laughed as much watching an anime as I did watching Fumoffu. Once KyoAni stepped in, the animation quality became spectacular.

As for the first season, it was okay but not that great IMO. The fight scenes were a bit bland, i.e. the Lambada driver fights in FMP! were just alot of pushing in contrast to those in TSR, which involved quite a bit of action. There were some points during the first FMP where I really wanted to punch something because of how stupid some parts were.

This was really close between the last 2 seasons but my vote goes to TSR. Breathtaking animation, excellent fight sequences, and a nice mix of humor.
Old 2008-07-05, 18:46   Link #78
LeoXiao
思想工作

I thought the serious seasons were okay (TSR being about 1.75 times better than season 1) by virtue of the good story and character development (particularly in TSR), but since I'm not into mechas and that sort of stuff I liked fumoffu the best.
Old 2008-10-24, 17:22   Link #79
Scarlett_Rain55

I would say Fumoffu, but the lack of Tessa and kurz is unsatisfying. Not to mention it only focuses on Kaname and Sousuke, which gets boring easily...That said, I did enjoy Fumoffu a lot though!
Old 2008-10-25, 00:03   Link #80
Langus
Optimus Prime

Season 1 was okay - liked it enough to watch season 2. Season 2 was MONEY all round. I couldn't have asked for more. Overall though, Fumoffu is the stuff I can watch again and again or just pop in the DVD player for a random ep to get my FMP fix.