AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 152 75.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 17.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 3.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-25, 15:49   Link #521
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I wasn't the one who origianlly suggested it.
Ah thank god i will troll through and see who it was so i can lock them in a room with a Vajara for about 2 hours.
Old 2008-08-25, 16:49   Link #522
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Really haven’t commented much on this series even though it’s been arguably the best series I’ve watched in 2008…There have been so many epic episodes I’ve lost count…This was just another one…The love triangle gets a bit much from time to time (Alto being the classic timid “hurt both girls by not being clear with either of them” male harem lead), but the consistently epic production values and attention to detail gives it so much win…

I gave this ep a 9, and it was excellent, but the only thing that kinda bothered me was that Mikhail seemed a little OOC…Maybe it was because death was approaching or just the toll of the moment, but I always felt like his relationship with that chick was a bit one-sided…Did anyone feel like they kinda forced this hardcore revelation of love in Mikhail’s character? I was rather shocked by his over-the-top love for that girl who’s name escapes me right now…I knew she loved him, but it didn’t feel like Mikhail all the way for me…I know Mikhail has been pushing Alto for weeks and weeks to step up his game, but it never felt to me like he was in the same position...Gotta hate secondary character deaths for plot purposes sometimes ;/...

Anyways another great ep, but I think we still have some time before Alto inevitably picks who he’s gonna pick…It would be nice for once if they threw a curveball though instead of doing what we all know they’re gonna do…I’m just wondering if they are gonna kill her slow or fast^^…
Old 2008-08-25, 17:06   Link #523
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

not really. Klan and Mikhail have been friends since childhood, and general anime cliché says they develop feelings for each other at some point in time. its just that Klan realized these feelings first and Mikhail turned a blind eye to them.
Old 2008-08-25, 17:12   Link #524
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I gave this ep a 9, and it was excellent, but the only thing that kinda bothered me was that Mikhail seemed a little OOC…Maybe it was because death was approaching or just the toll of the moment, but I always felt like his relationship with that chick was a bit one-sided…Did anyone feel like they kinda forced this hardcore revelation of love in Mikhail’s character? I was rather shocked by his over-the-top love for that girl who’s name escapes me right now…I knew she loved him, but it didn’t feel like Mikhail all the way for me…I know Mikhail has been pushing Alto for weeks and weeks to step up his game, but it never felt to me like he was in the same position...Gotta hate secondary character deaths for plot purposes sometimes ;/...
No, it's been hinted that Mikhail cared for Klan more than he admitted. They were childhood friends and she's the one that knew the most about his past. He's never had any serious relationship with a woman, and in ep 19, he explained why. Klan was as close as you get.

It's obvious that she likes him, and he can tell (since he's not vision impaired like Alto). As a womanizer, he would have picked up on this and played around with her. But the fact that he hasn't shows that he doesn't want to hurt her because he cares for her more than he admitted.

Sometimes, you gotta read between the lines. You don't have to outright say something to give the message. (Disclaimer for Alto though.)
Old 2008-08-25, 17:23   Link #525
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey
and general anime cliché says they develop feelings for each other at some point in time. its just that Klan realized these feelings first and Mikhail turned a blind eye to them.

That's what I was saying...It felt a little more bottomline anime-cliche' than fully developed progression of events...Again it was easy to see she loved him...beyond easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari
Sometimes, you gotta read between the lines. You don't have to outright say something to give the message.
Still felt a little forced to me...I know they hinted at it, and I did read between the lines, but it was like the plot forced it to come to the forefront more than I felt the show had emphasized it...It's like it went from lukewarm to hot and spicy in the course of one ep...Nevertheless I think imminent death plays a factor in all of this...
Old 2008-08-25, 18:10   Link #526
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
That's what I was saying...It felt a little more bottomline anime-cliche' than fully developed progression of events...Again it was easy to see she loved him...beyond easy
Mikey knows it too, but as you heard from him to Alto, he was being a coward for not being able to admit.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-25, 18:19   Link #527
cerrian

Anyone know what the reactions are on the Chinese and Japanese forums?
Old 2008-08-25, 18:23   Link #528
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Anyone know what the reactions are on the Chinese and Japanese forums?
The Japanese BBS and boards were crying foul after Mike bit the dust. Some were hoping that he is still alive, only to be miraculously resurrected by the show's end.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-25, 18:24   Link #529
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
~edit~ *too disrespectful*
Old 2008-08-25, 22:42   Link #530
Wildstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
One way I see Mikhail surviving is that if SMS, NUNS or Brera's VF-27 is equiped with one of the anti-vacuum ejection bubbles used by the Galaxy Patrol.

That's how Basara survived Whale singing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports72Xtrm View Post
....Macross please pull a Gundam Seed Destiny and just have Mikhail come back as a masked man with amnesia....
Gaaaahhhhh! How could I have missed that? There's a fighter out there with an empty seat right now!!! There's someone flying it with access to cyborg technology, which is the only way Michael could possibly survive with the entire center of his body ripped out by the Varja!!!

Where do they get the other pilots for Brera's squadron? We know Frontier doesn't do cyborgs. Fallen Valkyrie pilots, maybe ala Robocop?

I give Michael a 1% chance for survival with life as a mindless and/or amnesia-ridden VF27 pilot/drone until able to overcome his programming with Klan's help.
Old 2008-08-25, 22:49   Link #531
Wildstar

Sheryl is a creation of her evil manager, Grace. All of Shery'l's achievements have been while under essentially the same conditions as an olympic gymnast in a totalitarian country only more so.

Sheryl's response to EVERY previous challenge has been "I am Sheryl" ...and what is Sheryl? Grace's creation. Sheryl was massaged, prodded, cajoled, praised, manipulated, etc into what she was... with billions of screaming cheerleaders in the audience affirming her ego every step of the way and a manager clearing (knowing Grace, blazing really) every step of the way.

Sheryl did everything with that "oh well I'm SHERYL" attitude... she joined flight school but didn't seem to apply herself at all, considering she couldn't fly the Valkyrie even a little bit.

The very first time we see Sheryl standing on her own two feet is when she stands up and sings in the bunker - the first time she sings for something other than her own ego and her manager's agenda. Contrast that with Ranka, who is younger and less confident, but agreed to use an experimental fold device to go far, far away from her home with just Michael to confront several thousand rabid Zentradi... and has gone into battle to help Frontier. Now, Sheryl might have also, but it would be an "I am SHERYL!" moment, and what is Sheryl? Yeah. Why was she, as a Galactic Faerie project, considered to be a failure to be thrown away by Grace? What she brought to her singing didn't cut the mustard. What Ranka has brought to her singing DOES.

Sheryl hears the father saying something selfless to his child and decides to do a little something like that FOR THE FIRST TIME. By comparison, singing doesn't seem like much compared to a father giving up his life to save his daughter, but Sheryl is learning. In the bomb shelter, she stands on her own two feet for the first time. The importance in her singing in the shelter is the SMALLNESS of it and that she knowingly chose it as her small act trying to do something for the small group of people there.

Mark my words, we may find that Sheryl actually does have an effect on the Varja now, because she truly sang for a reason for the first time... it's nice to see a character development on Sheryl... she looks good in it.

"Who do you think I am?" She's finally finding herself. She found herself when she DIDN'T claim that "I am SHERYL!" ...but instead disowned it and reached for her own small strength instead of the Grace-manufactured ego of "SHERYL." ...Sheryl Nome is no more.

Think about this... of all the people in Macross, RANKA knew that she shouldn't sing. Her mistake wasn't in hesitating to sing, it was in not refusing to sing more forcefully!!! Instead, everyone assumes she is just an ignorant, selfish little girl and slaps her into singing, making the Varja go ballistic. Her singing was still very powerful... it just went negative. We've now had it illustrated plain as day that the power Ranka wields and Ranka are one and the same... it isn't a superhero power slapped on as sort of an add-on to a silly little girl... Ranka's singing IS Ranka and JUST AS SHE WARNED EVERYONE, it isn't a weapon and you can't handle it like one. You want it to be a weapon? You want it to be a superpower? Sorry, it isn't, it won't be, it isn't that easy.

Ranka has a character development arc too... she figured something out about her singing and why she sings, she found the courage to tell Alto she loves him. Who faced 1,000's of Zentradi? Who tolerated being whisked away by Grace from their personal life and everything that means something to her because she thought it might help Frontier? (how can you say she's dependent when she chooses isolation if it will help everyone else?) Who has the courage to get on with their life despite witnessing the genocide of their entire fleet? ...practically everyone she cared about, possibly watching some of them get slaughtered in front of her. Who is still having flashbacks and trouble remembering her past? Yeah, she sucks. She's not making enough progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Remember how Sherly has come form noting only to lose everything and then come back from the edge of depression. Well Ranka will have to go through the same thing if she wants to truly reach the same level as Sherly
Who has ACTUALLY lost everything already? Who has had the true "journey through hell," Sheryl or Ranka?

They've been talking about what could happen if Ranka starts remembering - well, she's having flashbacks now, like the hand-grabbing. That's important character and possibly plot-developing stuff... she's starting to remember. Showing no concern? How about all hell breaking loose and someone you're close to possibly being killed throwing you into a fugue state?

Last edited by Wildstar; 2008-08-25 at 23:02.
Old 2008-08-25, 23:03   Link #532
Westlo
Lets be reality

At work so only time for one 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post
Sheryl did everything with that "oh well I'm SHERYL" attitude... she joined flight school but didn't seem to apply herself at all, considering she couldn't fly the Valkyrie even a little bit.
from what i've gathered she was acing the course, you have to take into account that flying a valkyrie is far more complex than using an ex-gear. Transformation (or lack of transformation) for one is a constant bane for first time users, as it sould be. From sheryl, to alto to hikaru himself a stunt champion who's flight experience vasly outdoes Alto and Sheryl.
Old 2008-08-25, 23:06   Link #533
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

If she has any effect on Vajra, it'll be more because of the effect of her earring, not her herself.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-25, 23:10   Link #534
Wildstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
If she has any effect on Vajra, it'll be more because of the effect of her earring, not her herself.

I agree the earring played into it, but I'm betting it takes fold quartz + extremely wholesome goodwill-type feelings + singing to affect the Varja in the desired way.
Old 2008-08-25, 23:28   Link #535
SymphonicRain

I doubt Sheryl has any actual flight experience at all, thus reflecting her amateurish proficiency while using Michel's plane.

Lets be realistic: I doubt anyone could learn to fly a plane proper within one or two months of flight schooling, more so if her schooling schedules is part time if she remains committed to her career. She was probably even still learning how to use an EX-Gear proper before utilising the gear on the plane itself.
Old 2008-08-25, 23:38   Link #536
Tak

Quote:
Sheryl is a creation of her evil manager, Grace. All of Shery'l's achievements have been while under essentially the same conditions as an olympic gymnast in a totalitarian country only more so.
Totalitarian or not, training is training, where Sheryl accepted her role and did her best to participate. She made a choice then, and she did not regret it.

Quote:
Sheryl's response to EVERY previous challenge has been "I am Sheryl" ...and what is Sheryl? Grace's creation. Sheryl was massaged, prodded, cajoled, praised, manipulated, etc into what she was... with billions of screaming cheerleaders in the audience affirming her ego every step of the way and a manager clearing (knowing Grace, blazing really) every step of the way.
While the fruit known as the Galactic Fairy was propelled by Grace, it was Sheryl's own efforts that she became what she was. Moreover, no matter how manipulative Grace was, Grace cannot fabricate fans. If it was not for Sheryl's dedication to her performance, acknowledging her role as the Galactic Fairy, and acted professionally about it, she would not have been the most beautiful voice in the galaxy during the initial phase of the series.

Quote:
You forgot to take into consideration that Sheryl joined the flight school for mere days compared to Alto and Mikhail's months (if not longer) of training. Never mind that she never touched a fighter before, and not just any fighter, but the top secret military weapon known as the VF-25. If you remember from episode 1, Alto initially had trouble operating the VF-25 as well, which nearly got himself and Ranka both killed.

Before Alto was able to take the VF-25 for a spin in space, he went through a series of military training after he joined the SMS, while Sheryl never had the same benefit.

Quote:
The very first time we see Sheryl standing on her own two feet is when she stands up and sings in the bunker - the first time she sings for something other than her own ego and her manager's agenda
That is incorrect. I would suggest referring to episode 7. Sheryl stated quite clearly that if Alto's job as a pilot is to fly and fight, then her job "is to sing" for the audience. She had a chance to cancel her concert during that very episode, but she refused, not because her manager told her to, or she had an inflated ego, but because that was her duty. She made a promise to fans for a goodbye concert, and no way in hell was she going to let them down.

Quote:
Contrast that with Ranka, who is younger and less confident, but agreed to use an experimental fold device to go far, far away from her home with just Michael to confront several thousand rabid Zentradi... and has gone into battle to help Frontier.
If Alto was not there, she would not have gone to save them. The problem with Ranka's case is that, she uses Alto as a catalyst to nearly everything she does. From singing in Folmo to the Macross Zero movie, Alto was the catalyst to her every doing. Even when she miraculously saved Galia 4 from a rebellion, she was once again using Alto as a catalyst to her timely rescue.

You might not think that is the case, but consider this:

For all Sheryl had done for her, giving her timely encouragement with her career, Ranka never even bothered asking about Sheryl's wellbeing during her time in Galia IV. She was quite content just spending time with Alto as if nothing else in the universe existed!

Quote:
Sheryl hears the father saying something selfless to his child and decides to do a little something like that FOR THE FIRST TIME. By comparison, singing doesn't seem like much compared to a father giving up his life to save his daughter, but Sheryl is learning. In the bomb shelter, she stands on her own two feet for the first time. The importance in her singing in the shelter is the SMALLNESS of it and that she knowingly chose it as her small act trying to do something for the small group of people there.
It had nothing to do with her perspective of her ego or the crowd. She simply done what she does best, as it was her duty.

Alto told Sheryl her songs were the hopes of the people during their brief moment of intimacy, and Sheryl realized that she was once the hopes and dreams of the people. Although she had been discarded and now on the verge of dying, She thought even if her voice could bring just a tiny hope for the people, she should sing even while her life force is fading away. She sought to live her life to the fullest, which is very admirable of her.

Quote:
Mark my words, we may find that Sheryl actually does have an effect on the Varja now, because she truly sang for a reason for the first time... it's nice to see a character development on Sheryl... she looks good in it.
Actually her character developed significantly throughout the show, but it is not how she changed over time that is the primary focus, rather, its the fostering of our understanding of her.

Quote:
Think about this... of all the people in Macross, RANKA knew that she shouldn't sing. Her mistake wasn't in hesitating to sing, it was in not refusing to sing more forcefully!!! Instead, everyone assumes she is just an ignorant, selfish little girl and slaps her into singing, making the Varja go ballistic. Her singing was still very powerful... it just went negative.
Ah, now here is your problem with the Ranka analysis. After Ranka was discovered by Grace and co., she was immediately tested during a scouting mission, where her songs proved to be useful against the Vajra. She suddenly found her duties as Frontier's savior then, and enjoyed the fame that came with it. She later volunteered to sing in the battle again, without Grace or others pushing her to do so. Needless to say, her fame again grew by leaps and bounds and again she was clearly enjoying her status. Then after she was denied of her man, she suddenly regressed into a crybaby and refused to be the tool despite the fact that she had volunteered and enjoyed her status as one.

Her original intention was to sing for the sake of singing. It was not for anyone, but for those who would listen to her (or thats what she told Alto). Gradually, her intentions narrowed, and by ep. 20, she shifted her focus to simply Alto, whom she took for granted although they were never in a relationship to begin with. That, to me is quite selfish, if not delusional.

Quote:
We've now had it illustrated plain as day that the power Ranka wields and Ranka are one and the same... it isn't a superhero power slapped on as sort of an add-on to a silly little girl... Ranka's singing IS Ranka and JUST AS SHE WARNED EVERYONE,
She never warned anyone. She simply refused to sing because her man was with someone else. When she finally got her acts together and sang, she had no idea that it produced a negative effect. She certainly did not know it would end the way it did.

Quote:
Ranka has a character development arc too... she figured something out about her singing and why she sings, she found the courage to tell Alto she loves him.
No, she never figured it out. Her original intention, her intentions in between, and her intentions now tell me of a confused girl trying to get a sense of her life and the world around her. Unfortunately, she has yet to grasp any of it.

Quote:
Who tolerated being whisked away by Grace from their personal life and everything that means something to her because she thought it might help Frontier?
She did not tolerate, she volunteered. And if she thought her songs would help the Frontier, she certainly made a bad choice contradicting herself by suddenly narrowing of her scope to that of Alto.

Quote:
Who has the courage to get on with their life despite witnessing the genocide of their entire fleet? ...practically everyone she cared about, possibly watching some of them get slaughtered in front of her. Who is still having flashbacks and trouble remembering her past?
And Sheryl did not? Never mind that she is dying? Never mind that Sheryl's past is as messed up as Ranka's and her recollection of it is murky at best. Yet, the difference is that Sheryl stood on her own two damn feet regardless of her life's misgivings, while Ranka virtually collapsed after one disappointment.

Quote:
Who has ACTUALLY lost everything already? Who has had the true "journey through hell," Sheryl or Ranka?
Sheryl started in hell, from nothing, digging her way through dirt to survive until Grace salvaged her. When she was discarded, she went back to hell again. The difference? She refused to give up while living life to its fullest.

Ranka on the other hand, had been pampered since childhood. Even without her singing career, she still had a place to go back to. She was never disappointed, and Ozma made sure she was pampered to the excess. If you noticed throughout the show, Ranka always had her way with Ozma. Whatever she wanted, Ozma granted. She wanted to become a singer, Ozma granted that. She wanted to be transferred to the academy? Ozma granted that. She wanted to act, Ozma granted that, albeit with a lot of reluctance. Yet, the point stands, she had her way almost all the time. Now she met one disappointment and suddenly she was emotionally disabled. That is not going through hell, that is her simply refusing to extend her hand to turn the doorknob of the gate to heaven! Somebody else had to do that for her!

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2008-08-25 at 23:55.
Old 2008-08-25, 23:45   Link #537
Wildstar

hahaha, it's kinda interesting that people focus on the one most debatable point (her lack of skill in a valkyrie) in my post when defending Sheryl.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Ranka fan either, my main point in my big post was that these things should be seen with a sense of each charter's story arc. I think Sheryl's flaws and weaknesses, like Ranka's, are contributing to her story arc.

The writers could show a little more development on Ranka's side, and should have emphasized Sheryl's previous jerky egotistical selfish side much more. She was somewhat egotistical and jerky in the first episodes, but making it more pronounced would have made the bomb shelter scene more meaningful - as would an a capella version.

The grandiose choir and accompanying music actually took away from what she was doing. A better choice might have been to sing something with a hopeful theme from the original Macross that presumably the people in Frontier would know from their shared history and have the people IN the bomb shelter be her choir.
Old 2008-08-26, 00:00   Link #538
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Mikey knows it too, but as you heard from him to Alto, he was being a coward for not being able to admit.

- Tak
I guess in the end I just felt like the two characters didn't have much chemistry on-screen (I never thought they did though)...Obviously there was a physical detachment to some degree (chibi-mode and amazon-mode), but to watch it go into a true love type of scenario caught me a bit by surprise...Not the fact that he tells Alto about his cowardice, but how rapidly it got to that point...Again I think it's the imminent death that brings it to this point, but otherwise I didn't really feel the connection until he got stomach gouged...By that juncture, you pretty much have a cold heart if you didn't feel anything...Perhaps they could have set this up just a little bit earlier (even the subtleties that really felt one-sided)...Still came off to me as a forced plot-point to eventually extract character development outta Alto at the sacrifice of Mihkail...I wish I could have bought it a little more...
Old 2008-08-26, 00:20   Link #539
cerrian

Quote:
This is a sorry attempt at glossing over Sheryl's achievements and accomplishments. We frankly have nothing to back up the claim (short of Grace's words) that Sheryl Nome, the Galactic Fairy, was an artificial idol made by Grace. In fact, there's plenty of evidence in the last 20 episodes to suggests that much of Sheryl's success was due to her hard work, her persistence, and dedication to the profession she loves. Have a look at the first episode where Sheryl declines Grace's suggestion to cancel the press conference when she's feeling sick. What about when Sheryl travels to Galia IV when she's down with a pretty nasty fever. How about the fact that Sheryl composes her own songs or when she recognizes that her song does not suit the scene in the Zero movie she offers to compose a new one. She even improvises on the fly after having an accident during her concert to make it appear that it was all planned.

If anything, Sheryl has earned her billions of screaming cheerleaders and has a long list of accomplishments by her hands to justify her ego. Hopefully Sheryl will recognize her own self worth as she comes to terms with Grace's revelations.
Old 2008-08-26, 00:25   Link #540
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
hahaha, it's kinda interesting that people focus on the one most debatable point (her lack of skill in a valkyrie) in my post when defending Sheryl.
we were jsut answering...

Quote:
The grandiose choir and accompanying music actually took away from what she was doing. A better choice might have been to sing something with a hopeful theme from the original Macross that presumably the people in Frontier would know from their shared history and have the people IN the bomb shelter be her choir.

this one i agree

Last edited by indr0008; 2008-08-26 at 00:40.
Closed Thread