AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-05-09, 08:20   Link #81
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
Or is it just that the anime completely reigns over the manga?
Pretty much this. I stopped reading the manga when the return of the anime was made official.
Old 2011-05-09, 09:21   Link #82
kakakka

I think the irregular scanlation release also contributed to this.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 14:09   Link #83
Gooral
Banned

Heck, even on a Polish anime forum (big but not the biggest and of course much smaller than AS) we have a whole sub-forum about Gintama. I think the reason why manga is not that popular is because there are too little images and too much text which for average anime/manga fan is too much. If there were more boobs, panty-shots and fights and less text it's popularity would soar sky-high. With anime it's a bit better since there's less text (for various, obvious reasons) and overall anime is better IMO, thanks to seiyuu mainly.

Anyway, I have no doubt that once we would have a sub-forum, threads and posts would start to appear and anime popularity would also help manga threads but it's still far from it. If only one of the mods/AS site staff was a Gintama fan it would be easier but for now I doubt it.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 14:41   Link #84
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Pretty much. I'd read the manga, though waiting for long periods in length for chapters is never good. Thankfully Sket Dance chapters are released every two weeks or so.

Also doesn't help that Viz cancelled their Gintama release.
Old 2011-05-09, 14:44   Link #85
kakakka

Wait they cancelled? When was this? I am shocked as I just bought volume 22 the other day and they promised to release the next one in August T_T
Old 2011-05-09, 15:02   Link #86
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Wait they cancelled? When was this? I am shocked as I just bought volume 22 the other day and they promised to release the next one in August T_T
Yep. Volume 23 will be the last one.

You can read about it here.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:17   Link #87
kakakka

Ouch. That's sad. It's the only manga that I bought since the beginning and planned to complete. I guess 1-23 in my bookshelf isn't that much bad.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:40   Link #88
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
That too. If it weren't for the slow scanlations, I would have probably read a lot more of the manga. I'm actually grateful I couldn't, I find the episodes a lot more enjoyable when I have no idea what'll happen, like with this week's episode.
Old 2011-05-15, 13:29   Link #89
Gooral
Banned

I've recently read two Gintama x Sket Dance crossovers. Basically I agree with what Gintoki said here:
Spoiler:

I've seen first episode of Sket Dance and it was so boring I've had to watch it in parts. I couldn't do it at one go but I wanted to see at least one episode hoping sth interesting would happen. It was even more boring than Gintama's first episode (after first 4 episodes of Gintama I was considering dropping it but fortunately I've prevailed and after seeing episode 8 I've become a fan).

For a series without much action, where the worst thing that can happen is being painted red dialogues should be witty or funny and characters interesting. Unfortunately Sket Dance disappoints on every step / on all accounts. Gintama from the start had funny dialogues and characters were rather interesting, here we have a guy talking via a laptop (talk about idiotic way to make him recognisable), a girl with a stick (another idiotic theme) and another guy with goggles that he puts on in a times of crisis... It's too stupid for my taste (which might sound funny since Gintama is even more stupid but the difference is I see the author laughing at himself and playing with convention, it is a complete parody with lots of trolling of everything and everyone). Maybe I'm too old or the humour is too refined for my taste but that's what I think. And I have to agree that it's a rip-off of Gintama. Parallels are too obvious and I would compare it to Ninku and Naruto where Kishimoto ripped off so many things that I can't believe he wasn't sued.

When you compare both crossovers you will clearly see that the one written by Sorachi had more funny dialogues and overall was better. Some examples:
Kagura: "For a person with a hockey stick as a weapon, if you have a hammer down there, isn't it easier to club your enemies to death?"
and shortly after: "Don't worry, Bossun will still take you even if you grow a hammer".

Gintoki: "Oi, bitches, cut it out. Don't think you can come and go as you please in this world. This aint's school anymore. This is a world where a drill can come flying outta nowhere and destroy your balls. We call that Friday."

And before you criticize me for criticizing let me remind you that it's a Gintama thread so favouring Gintama over anything here is to be expected. I'm not going to Sket Dance thread to start flame wars.

On a different note, on AN appeared an article about Gintama's lack of success in USA.
Old 2011-05-15, 13:47   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

& i'll stand up for Sket Dance by saying i've been a long time fan of Gintama since it's first episode aired, and ended up liking Sket Dance just a little bit more when i recently caught up with the manga.
Old 2011-05-15, 22:25   Link #91
kakakka

After seeing both crossovers, I think the comment about Sket Dance being rip-off of Gintama had been going for a while now; it's not like the authors care that much. (Yes, I just know it right now, so don't point that out again ><)

I like both manga's (I only follow the mangas) I couldn't really choose what's better quality between the two. They both made me laugh so hard.
Old 2011-05-16, 03:23   Link #92
Gooral
Banned

Sket Dance vs. Gintama clip:
Old 2011-05-16, 07:23   Link #93
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

@Gooral: I tend to agree with you based on what I've seen of Sket Dance so far (the first 8 episodes), but I think it's still way too early for me to form an opinion. Gintama wasn't very good when it started off either, and it took me a full season (26 episodes) to really start liking it. I won't give up on Sket Dance until I've seen as much epsiodes.

Sket Dance is definitely a rip-off (the author isn't hiding it), but that doesn't mean it can't become good and create an identity for itself later on. We should wait and see. I'm certain Gintama will remain the #1 comedy in my heart, however, the setting alone is enough to set it apart, and allows for crazier comedy. The sky's the limit with Gintama.

Oh, and yes, the googles thing in Sket Dance is incredibly stupid (it'd be okay if it were played for laugh, but nope, it's serious), especially with the "I'm floating in space" effect in the anime. Himeko's stick was also pretty dumb. As for Switch speaking with his laptop, I'm waiting for an explanation, assuming there is one.

As for the crossovers, I thought Sket Dance's was pretty funny, but Gintama's was clearly a league above it. The dialogues and the situations were on entirely different levels.
Old 2011-05-16, 09:50   Link #94
Gooral
Banned

Well, I was bored by Gintama for 4 episodes but never as bad as with Sket Dance. It just didn't hook me enough from the get go but it wasn't sth I had to watch in parts either (as it was with SD). In other words it was an average anime which I could watch if I had nothing better to do. But after seeing 5th episode I started to like it (it was the one with Gin and others delivering a bomb to an embassy, the scene when they found out what was in the package was hilarious), mainly thanks to introduction of Katsura (my favourite character I like him even more than I like Gin). And after seeing 8th episode I became a fan. There was the most hilarious fight and one of the most hilarious scenes I've ever seen in any anime/manga. And from then it got even better. The most important thing however was that characters were really great. All of them. They were perfectly designed and I liked them from the start. In SD I was annoyed by them from the start.

In short, even after seeing one episode only I can tell that Sket Dance is not anime/manga for me even though it's similar to Gintama. But the differences between them make a huge difference. I'm glad that author of SD has managed to achieve such success and that he has fans but IMO his inferiority to Sorachi is obvious.
Old 2011-05-17, 05:13   Link #95
Aesthetic Shampoo

I will say this: I've read all available chapters for Sket dance, and 40 chapters for Gintama. While I cracked up in almost every chapter of Sket dance, I barely smiled while reading Gintama - except during the Sket Dance x Gintama crossover. I too am disappointed with the anime adaption for Sket dance so far, but I heard the Gintama anime was hilarious so i watched episodes 1/2 of the anime (which apparently was a filler), which everyone says was boring, AND I LAUGHED. The Gintama manga was so boring a simple "What the hell is that?!" when they introduced Elizabeth got a laugh from me!

So anyway, the point is that its seems like for Gintama its Anime>Manga but for Sket Dance its Manga>Anime.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 19:43   Link #96
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

question

Is Hinowa really Seita (the little kid) real mother?

edit
to the neg repper
Quote:
Having obscene avatar and signature
get a life

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-06-12 at 19:06.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 12:58   Link #97
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

the mangaka is trolling us isn't he
Old 2011-11-30, 15:33   Link #98
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Of course, and it's the most epic troll yet. (Plus it gives the anime team an excuse to take another hiatus )
Old 2011-12-01, 01:57   Link #99
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

So all those problems from PTA regarding the anime was because of Kintoki's plot?
Quote:
And the best one at that too

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 13:20   Link #100
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

that is how you troll your readers. kubo needs to take a lesson in trolling.

Tags
samurai, sci-fi