AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-04-14, 00:38   Link #11881
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
It is fun to ponder over alone but in an exam it will kill the candidate especially at elementary school level due to the time sink. If the candidate gets stuck there, that's a huge chunk of the paper not finished in time
On exams, I would usually limit the time I spent trying to solve each question (unless i actually know how to solve it and it just takes time to answer it) and then try to come back to the questions i skipped over once I've gone through all the questions once.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 00:51   Link #11882
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If you're used to such questions, the wording isn't a problem. It doesn't take long either. (I solved it while watching TV...)
Where are such questions common?

Doing History didn't seem to cover that. At least in that fashion.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 01:07   Link #11883
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I didn't get them as school work, but it's the sort of brain teasers that was in sort-of vogue when I was in high school (as much as they ever are). I assume Singaporean school kids do get them in school, since it's in an exam.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 02:46   Link #11884
Haak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If you're used to such questions, the wording isn't a problem. It doesn't take long either. (I solved it while watching TV...)
Fucking brag about it, why don't you...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 02:49   Link #11885
Cosmic Eagle
……『青い空』、きっとキレイなんだろうなぁ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I didn't get them as school work, but it's the sort of brain teasers that was in sort-of vogue when I was in high school (as much as they ever are). I assume Singaporean school kids do get them in school, since it's in an exam.
Yeah, these kinds of things are common in exams in SG. They aim to bog students down in terrible wording.


Like the aforementioned question.... Could be clearer if Albert said "But I know based on the month given to me by Cheryl, that Bernard does not know"


Since it's entirely possible in the original wording that his assumption was told to him by Cheryl....which alters the whole paradigm a bit.
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 03:04   Link #11886
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
A, B and C are singaporeans so their statements are in singlish. Singaporeans should have no problems understanding the statements.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 04:30   Link #11887
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I assume Singaporean school kids do get them in school, since it's in an exam.
It's actually a math olympiad for sec 3/4 question This is about highschool around ~15-16 year olds.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 04:31   Link #11888
rantaid
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indonesia
that was like the joke about four men blindfolded wearing hats (white and black) and they are asked what color is the hat they wore.
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 04:49   Link #11889
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
It's actually a math olympiad for sec 3/4 question This is about highschool around ~15-16 year olds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantaid View Post
that was like the joke about four men blindfolded wearing hats (white and black) and they are asked what color is the hat they wore.
More like a simpler version of Einstein's 5 houses teaser. This was one of the questions in my year of GEP exams (which is in Pri 3, around 9 years old), except using different dates.

What I remember a math lover told me is that the mathematical concept used is functions. Except that you are solving for the set and domain without using numbers.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 13:13   Link #11890
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 40
As far as I remember we were not into brain teasers in High School (at least in this part of the world) in the mid-90s. Though I was not as heavy no various math courses, doing better with geometry than algebra and never knowingly got to calculus as they added more science courses that year meaning we needed to cut some things besides just P.E.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 13:20   Link #11891
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As far as I remember we were not into brain teasers in High School (at least in this part of the world) in the mid-90s. Though I was not as heavy no various math courses, doing better with geometry than algebra and never knowingly got to calculus as they added more science courses that year meaning we needed to cut some things besides just P.E.
my high school geometry teacher like to give these out for extra credit.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 13:27   Link #11892
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Fucking brag about it, why don't you...
I would, but it's hard to turn "I solved a problem meant for primary school kids" into a victory chant.

My point is, it's not a matter of brain power. Just of understanding the question and being used to such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Yeah, these kinds of things are common in exams in SG. They aim to bog students down in terrible wording.


Like the aforementioned question.... Could be clearer if Albert said "But I know based on the month given to me by Cheryl, that Bernard does not know"
Wouldn't that end up being too easy?

Quote:
Since it's entirely possible in the original wording that his assumption was told to him by Cheryl....which alters the whole paradigm a bit.
I really don't see the problem with the wording. Except maybe the use of "respectively", that's a big word for 10-years-olds.

I mean, that kind of "I know he knows I (don't) know" is par for the course for that kind of questions.

Easier, more famous example.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-15, 04:01   Link #11893
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
In Mother Russia......

Russian dance school probed over teen 'twerking' classes

__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-16, 02:31   Link #11894
Chaos2Frozen
Spherical Cow
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In a vacuum
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/10/mayor-...ormer-5143302/
http://www.unilad.co.uk/articles/may...-robot-statue/
Mayor of Ankara sued for wasting taxpayer money on giant robot statue.

Seems most news places are describing it as a Transformer, even though it doesn't have any vehicle parts or anything like that.
Digging this up from the past because I've only just heard about it- I'm majorly pissed off that the media outlets were calling it a Transformer- I'm not even the biggest Gundam fan but even that pisses me off

That being said, what a hero.
__________________

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-16, 06:56   Link #11895
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Japan artist on trial over vagina art says fighting for free expression
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0N60V120150415
__________________
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 08:58   Link #11896
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Roommates hospitalized after stabbing one another during heated iPhone vs. Android debate

It is obviously Android is better.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 10:56   Link #11897
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Nokia, fool. Praise be to the 3310.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 11:33   Link #11898
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
no, Iphone 6+ is better! *gets stabbed*
i say iphone is better.......! *dead*
-------------------------------

well, at least it wasn't something like what one of my buddy did when i was still in the military
living in the barrack. he was drunk in the room with another friend and pulls out a knife
and start stabbing his buddy in the thigh/leg for no reason...luckily the dood that got stabbed
didn't suffer serious injury, but he still can't walk properly since.

so the moral of the story today is, if you see dood with knife, don't be near him...ha ha.
__________________
Xefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 11:37   Link #11899
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Nokia, fool. Praise be to the 3310.
But it was bought over by Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
no, Iphone 6+ is better! *gets stabbed*
i say iphone is better.......! *dead*
-------------------------------

well, at least it wasn't something like what one of my buddy did when i was still in the military
living in the barrack. he was drunk in the room with another friend and pulls out a knife
and start stabbing his buddy in the thigh/leg for no reason...luckily the dood that got stabbed
didn't suffer serious injury, but he still can't walk properly since.

so the moral of the story today is, if you see dood with knife, don't be near him...ha ha.
Throw a chair at him or something? I heard a tale from another unit during my time; sod's GF left him and pulled a knife on his section mate. Another picked up a chair and chucked it in the knifeguy's face.

Quite bloody I heard, all got charged.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 11:49   Link #11900
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ
Age: 35
aah, i wasn't at the scene of the stabbing though. the dood got stabbed told me what happen.
and our section chief told us what happen afterward. the drunk dood was in my squad...lol. lucky
me that i wasn't in the same room as him or he would have stabbed me instead.

it was kind of unexpected for the stabbed dood. my drunking friend had his knife hidden on him...so yeah.
anyways, throw a chair at him? dear god, the dood was drunk, who knows what will happen. it might
even piss him off and then he'll start chasing after me and stabbing me too. XD

the drunk dood kind of regret his actions. they put him in jail for a few days. he was a
pretty cool guy though and a hard worker during our field training. but i'll still won't be
near him when he gets drunk...ha ha.

P.S.: i let him have some of my anime sets and rice cooker and 27" tube t.v. when i left
the Army. he was like "thanks man. you're the best!" okie, but just don't like stabbed
anyone anymore, ok?
__________________
Xefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
humor, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.