AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-12, 22:26   Link #21
polymath

Just a thought... what do you think Scar represents in our world? I feel that, intentional or no, the animators have made him a proxy for "terrorism". By giving an idea of what motivates him, we gain an understanding of why people might react the way they do...
Old 2004-02-12, 22:40   Link #22
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath
Just a thought... what do you think Scar represents in our world? I feel that, intentional or no, the animators have made him a proxy for "terrorism". By giving an idea of what motivates him, we gain an understanding of why people might react the way they do...
That's a good point, but Scar leaves me to infer that he might not be willing to go through with his actions exactly. There are other times in the anime recently that shows him not knowing exactly why he was given his arm and why it makes him go against his god in the way he carries on.
Old 2004-02-13, 00:01   Link #23
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath
Sorry, but in what ways is he a terrorist? I do not see him going around killing civilians of Central just because the army massacred his people, and broadcasting the threats to do so all around.

His role now is the stereotype of a mysterious amnesiac vengeance seeker at the moment. How it will change would depends on his history and future encounters.

At the moment I think he's a pretty cool foil to the lead Edward .
Old 2004-02-15, 00:47   Link #24
kazusa
Helping Translator

Send a message via AIM to kazusa Send a message via MSN to kazusa
Well, from what I've seen, Lust has something to do with Scar's brother's wife/girlfriend. This, to me, seems as though eventually Scar is going to side with Ed and Al against Lust, Envy, and Gluttony. I mean... if we look at it, Lust, Envy and Gluttony are Homunculus' which means that they can only be unsummoned or destroyed by Alchemic means. They can't be "killed." Someone like Scar may be able to defeat the 3 with his funky arm with the help of Ed and Al so yeah... I have a feeling he's going to end up siding with them.
Regarding Scar's relation to the two... I don't think that Scar is blood-related to either Ed or Al so thats all good...
This is all just my opinion =)
Old 2004-02-16, 00:27   Link #25
LinChoiSin

i like Scar because he's powerful ,he doesn't have to run or play tricks to beat his opponents (but i hope Ed will still be able to defeat him) i also like the fact that he knows what he wants ,his reasons may not be very good ,he may not be clever but at least he knows what he has to do unlike too many characters nowadays!
Old 2004-02-16, 01:37   Link #26
futago

kinda feel pity toward Scar, his tribe got almost wiped out, and somehow he ends up with the freakingly powerful arm, i'm sure if we're in his shoes, we'll go for vengeance. Imagine all those close to u were killed, how piss off will u be? And Scar actually has the power to do so. But those on his death list are alchemists who participated in the war, so i guess it's ok? Like in Kill Bill. Justified vengeance? Whatever it is, i'm sure his brother gave him the arm for another specific reason, let's see if the series will elaborate on that
Old 2004-02-16, 02:55   Link #27
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I find Scar quite cool and maybe my favorite character in FMA. He uses God to justify for his revenge but deep down he knows that the arm that enables him to get revenge is against his God's teachings. And Scar is no more troubled than Ed and Al anyway...

It seems the homunculi are modeled after some real people (though how can a real person look like glut is beyond me), like Lust looks like Scar's brother's girl, and the President's secretary looks like Ed and Al's mother...
Old 2004-02-16, 11:51   Link #28
kvi

I was wondering something. Scar said his brother gave him his cursed arm in one of the earlier episodes, do you think the same thing happended to him and his brother as what happended to Ed and AL with Ed losing his arm?
Old 2004-02-17, 00:12   Link #29
LinChoiSin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvi
I was wondering something. Scar said his brother gave him his cursed arm in one of the earlier episodes, do you think the same thing happended to him and his brother as what happended to Ed and AL with Ed losing his arm?
i don't think so,there must be a secret between Scar's arm,besides ,Al's problem is the exact opposite of Scar's, instead of gaining a powerful arm he lost his (and also his leg)
Old 2004-02-20, 04:36   Link #30
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

as far as killing non alchemists they are the one's shooting at him right? well since he's human someone shots at you, you have the ability to retaliate and ensure your well being you take it. He may have a powerfull arm but a bullet to the head is the end of him. Those non-alchimsts he kills are armed Military.

Oh yeah and the Whole Nina thing, Ed tends to overestimate his abilities. Not to mention have we seen a strong soul alchemist? Would Scar even knwo of one existing when he decided to intervene? He seen the creature before him, the worst result of the alchemy he hated so much, and the person who had been the test subject was un willing and suffering.

Joining forces, as it stands ed stands for everyhting Scar hates. At this point Ed is becoming too powerfull an alchemist, and i doubt scar would aid him in becmoming any stronger then he already has. Remember this anime has sad endings, it's not everyone goes home skipping. Look at rockbell, nina it goes on and on... who's to say because Scar or even Ed for that matter won't bite the b ullet some time in this show for their belief? Ed is very unlikely but Scar isn't outta question.

Basically Scar is confused but so is everyone from what i can see but Roy Mustang, who we seen weekness in in flashbacks. Ed and Al didn't learn there leason, they still continue to try and do a taboo alcehmy? Would that not be the definaition of confusion knowing that and also trying to break the Laws of equivalent trade that they have so much faith in?

Neways watch the anime, it's good all we can do is wait.

Last edited by CrimsonFury; 2004-02-20 at 04:51.
Closed Thread