AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-05-02, 07:45   Link #1081
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The thread has been drifting off-topic for a while now so it's time to put a stop to it. If you think your deleted post was actually relevant to the subject at hand then send me a PM and I will consider moving it back but other than that, please remember the original purpose of the thread.

Using random threads as a soap-box to air your personal grievances isn't the way to go.

Recent posts deleted and thread now re-opened.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 23:41   Link #1082
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Food question.

I've fallen in love a year ago with curry roux bricks, which I will make with awesomeloads of ingredients and end up with something that goes with rice for the entire following week. Apparently this is comfort food. Macaroni and cheese has nothing on this.

And then I discover that there's this utterly beautiful thing called cream stew, also coming in bricks of god. I'm snagging it the next time I go to an Asian store, preferably the Japanese premium one slightly farther away from my dorm.

So what others are there, before I decide on my next stew-off?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 23:48   Link #1083
Tri-ring

There is also one for Hashed Beef rice or Hayashi rice.

Basically a tomato/demi-glace sauce like beef stew.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 00:08   Link #1084
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Cream stew would easily be my favorite of the 3. I should make some soon. I need some potatoes though...
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 11:42   Link #1085
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

There's the Children of Life documentary that you'll find inspiring especially if you're young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armP8TfS9Is

And remember that even though such good teachers aren't that common, in every country you'll find them.
Old 2009-05-25, 03:43   Link #1086
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Hmm...I'll take a look at that sometime later. I don't know if it'll be much different than the many school documentaries I've already seen though. The school system in Japan needs a lot of changes to it. I like watching these sorts of things to help get a better understanding of what's happening in some schools and not the rest, and the bad that's vise versa.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:35   Link #1087
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I've concluded that many Japanese people are easily scared. This isn't a racist statement and I'm not here to argue if this is true, I'm merely wondering WHY this is so. What aspect of their culture causes this to be so?

Anyone care to share their treasure on the subject?
Old 2009-05-29, 07:37   Link #1088
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz View Post
What aspect of their culture causes this to be so?
COLLECTIVISM.

It's not specifically theirs, nor does it come inherent with any culture. It is cultivated (intentionally or unconsciously) through norms, customs and values over a lengthy period of time.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:46   Link #1089
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post

The next thing that would happen is a Mikoshi making contest for everyone XD... maybe...
That Mclaren scale model is Western.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 12:48   Link #1090
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I've concluded that many Japanese people are easily scared. This isn't a racist statement and I'm not here to argue if this is true, I'm merely wondering WHY this is so. What aspect of their culture causes this to be so?

Anyone care to share their treasure on the subject?
If you have a google/yahoo portal, open up news feed from Japanese sources... its a small, concentrated population nation with news possibly more sensation-driven than the US. For example, it has an extremely low crime/violence rate -- but you will see the *same* murder reported dozens of times in different ways, making it seem as if there were many murders to the casual observer. The news also over-focuses on the few lurid crimes rather than the mundane stuff.

Basically, they're achieving the same results as American news has achieved with the "soccer mom and dad" set. Fear, anxiety, "protect the children" irrationality -- and most important, stay tuned through these commercial breaks for the next lurid snippet.
Old 2009-05-29, 16:17   Link #1091
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

For those studying Japanese culture, in particular Shinto -- there's a new website starting up under the auspices of the Shinto Online Network:

http://jinja.or.jp/

This seems to be in response to a misleading Internet meme of "Four Affirmations of Shinto". There are actually no such affirmations, though the list doesn't contain anything that is precisely untrue. The "four affirmations" meme is simply a container concept that doesn't really exist.

This site is still somewhat under construction but it does have a nice organizational and categorical naming layout.

Another site: http://www.religioustolerance.org/shinto.htm provides enough material for a brief essay in K-12 on the topic.
Old 2009-06-01, 23:53   Link #1092
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Is anime today catering to the otakus or to the non-otaku people?
Old 2009-06-02, 00:46   Link #1093
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

o.O .... the majority of anime series cater to various types of otaku. However, the most *popular* anime still caters to the general public (e.g. Doraemon).
Old 2009-06-02, 01:18   Link #1094
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
There's the Children of Life documentary that you'll find inspiring especially if you're young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armP8TfS9Is

And remember that even though such good teachers aren't that common, in every country you'll find them.
That was inspiring but also incredibly touching. It highlights the differences in culture, but also in teaching methods that can make worlds of difference in the growth of children. I can only wish I had been in a class like that when I was younger.
Old 2009-06-02, 03:26   Link #1095
Samari
World's Greatest

Is "bullying" an issue in Japanese high schools like it is in some schools here in the United States? Or is it practically non-existent? I just finished watching this Japanese drama called "LIFE" which focused on the possible negative aspects of high school life, most notably "bullying". The story is based on the manga of the same name. While I was watching I felt that the story was a little over the top and very exaggerated. But I'm not THAT familiar with Japanese culture, especially high schools in Japan. So I was curious.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 03:45   Link #1096
stubby42

Its probably been answered perviously but when Japanese people post videos of themselves online (e.g doing an anime dance or playing k-on! songs) they almost always hide their faces why?

I mean some of them are really talented, the musicians espically why would they want to hide their identity?
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 08:35   Link #1097
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
Its probably been answered perviously but when Japanese people post videos of themselves online (e.g doing an anime dance or playing k-on! songs) they almost always hide their faces why?

I mean some of them are really talented, the musicians espically why would they want to hide their identity?
I like to think that Asians hold their identities more privately, as opposed to Westerners or even Americans. My family has always been reluctant about online commerce, which involves revealing their credit card information and addresses, and I obsessively censor my Facebook entry.

Speculatively, I think these people understand that what they're producing is "terrible" in quality and probably embarrassing (in comparison to the general public), so they make sure they can't be made fun of. 2channel's remarkable investigative prowess drives the point in too.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 12:50   Link #1098
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, if you'll notice in videos of "flash mob street dances", many of the participants wear masks as well. Also when you see images posted - often every single face in the image is blurred or smiley-face-covered.

If you'll recall the Google street-view debacle where entire neighborhoods were up-in-arms over Google photographing "private spaces" its on related lines.

Finally.... people who admit being anime fans in Japan are still taking some risk with their reputations - particularly in a professional sense. Having hobbies that are "a bit different" can lose you a promotion or a job offer.

"The nail that sticks out will be pounded down" roughly... or "square peg -> round hole"
Yes, it sucks, yes, it is changing slowly -- but many asians still take care to not stick out in a crowd.

Really, western society could stand to remember a bit more of its collectivist roots (basically teamwork) and eastern society could stand to loosen up a bit.

Old 2009-06-02, 12:58   Link #1099
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Is "bullying" an issue in Japanese high schools like it is in some schools here in the United States? Or is it practically non-existent? I just finished watching this Japanese drama called "LIFE" which focused on the possible negative aspects of high school life, most notably "bullying". The story is based on the manga of the same name. While I was watching I felt that the story was a little over the top and very exaggerated. But I'm not THAT familiar with Japanese culture, especially high schools in Japan. So I was curious.
You mean the documentary that Thyrz linked? I cried manly tears while watching it (which was a bit inconvenient given that I was watching it during lull hours at work ).

As for the bullying, from what I've read, it's apparently quite prevalent given the tendency for cliques to form in school. I don't know if it's necessarily more (or less) common in Japan than elsewhere, but it can be particularly vicious because of the greater cultural need for Japanese conform with their peer groups.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 13:05   Link #1100
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
@Vexx:

I should have rephrased it: "Is the anime industry churning out more titles for otakus and less for the non-anime fans/casual fans?"

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture