AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series > F/SN UBW TV Spoiler Threads (for Franchise Veterans)

Notices

View Poll Results: F/SN UBW TV - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 11 28.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 36.84%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 31.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 2.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-04-11, 18:40   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

F/SN UBW TV - Episode 14 Spoiler Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the spoiler discussion thread for F/SN UBW TV , Episode 14.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • All spoilers are allowed in this thread; spoiler tags are not required
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 18:45   Link #2
GDB

Enjoyed the episode. Based on discussion about the credits over on Beast's Lair, it looks like Caster's original Master is named Atram Galiast. Was pretty neat seeing him make a philosopher's stone, even if he didn't call it as such.

Also loved Illya's scene, even if it'll just make next week all the more painful. She's so excited to see Shirou coming to see her.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 18:49   Link #3
Mangonel

Backstory on Medea I don't recall ever seeing, yay! extra scenes (or I'm forgetful, either way new to me)

Gilgamesh being the magnificent bastard he always is. So excited for the upcoming combat scenes.
Mangonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 19:01   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Man, this episode was quite violent. Also, how come Gilgamesh's master didn't die after the fall?
Old 2015-04-11, 19:03   Link #5
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Gilgamesh has complete control over his property.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 19:56   Link #6
Amarantine

Great episode. The new material was all quite enjoyable, which was a pleasant surprise. I liked how Kirei had a role in Caster's would-be demise. I had never imagined Lancer had been the one to almost finish her (yet another not-so-heroic job Kirei forced on him).

Caster has benefited the most out of all the characters from ufotable's treatment, I would say, she's a lot more respectable and interesting as the mid-story boss here. It's just too bad they cut her moment with Kuzuki just as the latter was about to reveal his wonderfully romantic side.

I like what they're doing with Gilgamesh too. He has all the poise, majesty and composure of his Zero self. I hope they're able to keep that throughout. He didn't come off as very kingly in the Visual Novel's version of this route.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 20:46   Link #7
novalysis

See you next season in Fate Prisma Illya Hertz, Sella and Leysritt! Take a bow, those few minutes were bittersweet but awesome.

I don't recall Fate Prisma's Illya arguing with Sella in that sort of manner as UBW Illya did with Sella. That short scene of Illya's interactions with the two Homunuculi captures a great deal of UBW's Illya's character in those few seconds.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 21:45   Link #8
HtwoN

Great episode. I enjoyed every second.

Btw, "filler episode", anyone?
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 00:34   Link #9
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtwoN View Post
Great episode. I enjoyed every second.

Btw, "filler episode", anyone?
Urgh... I am so glad "that guy" does not have an account on AnimeSuki. He just has to spread his cancerous negativity "it's all non-canon" BS through all imageboards, MAL, youtube live reactions, etc.

The episode was good, I didn't mind that they didn't include Caster's past (something that you can find in less than 20 seconds by using wikipedia or google), but instead gave us some info about her original master. Though, even though I cannot put it into words, something was "missing". For some reason by pure enjoyment it is slightly less good than the previous episodes. Maybe it's because of the 7 cut minutes.
Old 2015-04-12, 00:39   Link #10
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Am I the only one that thought the portrayal of Caster's old Master was... a bit excessive?

It's like, he starts off as a playboy with a harem experimenting with Magecraft, he kills children, punches Caster for suggesting he DOESN'T kill children when she shows she can do the process herself without death, plots with Kirei to kill her, then tries to use a Command Seal to make her kill herself? I mean, we get that he's not a great guy and all, but... they went to a level that was almost kinda comical with him. Kirei playing his own part in making Caster's life miserable was great, though it all just seemed like they were trying too hard to make Caster's past too tragic.

I also know they contradicted some materials that existed before the UBW anime. I recall from some sources such as the Type Moon wiki that Caster's Master was described as almost an average-joe with minimal defining characteristics before being off'd by her. This guy is most certainly... not that. And it was implied she manipulated him more instead of this new guy being an idiot. But I guess that's a relatively minor complaint since it's so one-off and we never actually saw any portrayal of the guy until now. I won't be "that guy."

All-in-all, I'm not saying it was a bad episode, and change is most definitely not bad, but I do think that it was almost a parody how much of Caster's old Master was a bastard, and usually I'm delighted with all the extra scenes and bits that ufotable added in. It's almost like they're trying really hard to get us to root for her, especially since the previous episode showed her not-so-sympathetic side...

On another note, something else that made me mad about this episode (for more justifiable reasons) was having to see poor Leysritt and Sella die... I have a real soft spot for them, myself. I know that their fate was left ambiguous in most routes, and they likely die anyway, but having to see them getting crushed by Gilgamesh was kinda heartbreaking. Especially since it was such a mood whiplash when just seconds earlier they were messing with Shinji. It was unexpected, and left me mildly depressed, but still a great scene showcasing Gilgamesh's bastardness and ego, and establishing the very start of how downhill everything goes from here on out in Unlimited Blade Works...
Old 2015-04-12, 00:46   Link #11
Esclair

This adaptation is turning out to be spectacular. Although I wonder if they're going to do anything to amend Illya's story if they are going to make this a Fate/Zero 'sequel'. Maybe a final scene between her and Shirou before she dies?

Also, Caster seemed to be a lot more humane in her flashback, with freeing all those kids and all. Yet she's pretty much just mass murdering people to power her spells right now. Hopefully they'll get into what prompted the change.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 00:48   Link #12
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
This adaptation is turning out to be spectacular. Although I wonder if they're going to do anything to amend Illya's story if they are going to make this a Fate/Zero 'sequel'. Maybe a final scene between her and Shirou before she dies?

Also, Caster seemed to be a lot more humane in her flashback, with freeing all those kids and all. Yet she's pretty much just mass murdering people to power her spells right now. Hopefully they'll get into what prompted the change.
She isn't. Remember how she only dries the people to NEAR-death (aside from the first few)? Archer even commented that she "should be more ruthless and kill them", when he was in douchebag mode.
Old 2015-04-12, 00:50   Link #13
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
She isn't. Remember how she only dries the people to NEAR-death (aside from the first few)? Archer even commented that she "should be more ruthless and kill them", when he was in douchebag mode.
Ah, that's right. It was Rider that was killing the students.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 00:52   Link #14
HtwoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post

Based on the spoiler, next episode will be mostly Illya's flashback.

There will be something new again.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 00:53   Link #15
XFire
150% done

OBJECTION!!!

There are no feels for Caster, she is a coldhearted bitch of a witch who always screws everything up. So why the hell do I feel sorry for her!? Why did I find myself wishing someone would just give her a damn hug!? Why was I happy when she met Kuzuki!?

Damn you, UFOTable!!! Damn you, you magnificent bastards!!!
Old 2015-04-12, 00:58   Link #16
The One Above God
Kamijou

Being Caster is suffering

Anyway, pretty solid stuff. The anime original content did a great job in expanding the story. The servants' deaths were pretty tragic too. I must say the last 30 seconds of the episode before the ending started playing was pretty badass TBH. Also, the preview with the chess pieces has been the most awesome so far.

Knowing what would happen next ep,
Spoiler for VN:

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 01:16   Link #17
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Above God View Post
Being Caster is suffering

Anyway, pretty solid stuff. The anime original content did a great job in expanding the story. The servants' deaths were pretty tragic too. I must say the last 30 seconds of the episode before the ending started playing was pretty badass TBH. Also, the preview with the chess pieces has been the most awesome so far.

Knowing what would happen next ep,
Spoiler for VN:
I thought about that, but as far as I can tell
Spoiler for um:
Old 2015-04-12, 01:34   Link #18
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

You know, to this day I still cannot fathom why Nasu wrote off Gilgamesh's alignment as Chaotic Good. He's more Chaotic Neutral, at best True Neutral.
Old 2015-04-12, 01:35   Link #19
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Urgh... I am so glad "that guy" does not have an account on AnimeSuki. He just has to spread his cancerous negativity "it's all non-canon" BS through all imageboards, MAL, youtube live reactions, etc.
Oh, that's hilarious, that guy sure is one piece of work, isn't he?

UBW anime actually needs more anime original content. This isn't a route where you just simply focus on 3 characters and screw over everyone else. Every character needs a substance.

I wrote this at my blog.

First, I’d like to say that Visual Novels and Anime are a completely different medium. In the VN, Unlimited Blade Works is simply a route that has a focus on certain characters, that characters would be Shirou, Archer and Rin to a certain extent.

When we’re dealing with Anime, we can’t simply screw over other characters and yell ‘we’ll get that in the next route!’. No, there are no routes this time. Therefore, if Studio Ufotable were to be 100% accurate with the source material, we would have static, card-board cut-outs of a characters, with no substance in them.

Studio Ufotable has brought life not only to Ilya, who doesn’t play a large role in UBW, but to her maids as well. That little scene she had, revealing the quirks and substances of these characters is what makes this adaptation so damn good. It is also what makes us feel despair over their deaths, the visual story-telling in the recent episode was spot-on. The expressions Ufotable draws tell so much story and are so crucial to bringing fictional characters to life.

As for Ilya, you won’t get your audience to sympathize with her demise unless you tell us about who she is and what happened to her. You might be a Zero watcher and you already know, you might be a VN reader and also know, but what if I’m an anime only watcher? I wouldn’t get why the anime would be making a big deal out of a minor character’s death.

Now for Caster. This is a servant, along with her Master Kuzuki, who had zero substance in the VN. Oh yeah, a witch, evil, we must defeat her! Ufotable clearly saw a problem in that and expanded her backstory to once again, give us a substance and more detail to her character, so that when her eventual fall comes, we will feel regret and sorrow.

If it cannot reach you emotionally, it is a failed anime. You can have your “exact-same-no-alterations-adaptation”, but what would come from it is as I said, boring, static characters that are just mere obstacles to the main characters of the route.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 01:53   Link #20
eiyuuou

Kinpika
Spoiler: