AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-03-22, 02:06   Link #1681
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Did you do so before or after my post? And did you get the $10.19 Amazon.com stock copy? Reason I ask is that the (presumably) same one copy in Amazon.com's stock that remained after I ordered mine is still in Amazon.com's stock, and is still only one. If you ordered after me, it's safe to assume that Amazon.com has more than one in stock, or has an inventory mapping feature that is either incorrect or poorly updated, or both.
Honestly I don't remember, I didn't notice a stock number when I ordered mine. It's sitting happily in my lap though. They've translated it pretty well so far.
Old 2009-03-22, 22:52   Link #1682
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
I just got all of the translated light novels by Baka-Tsuki (saved on my computer for easy reading) and I was wondering something:

How accurate are the translations (if anyone has read the original Japanese). I can't read Japanese at all (save for... two or three kanji) and I wanted to get the most accurate translation I can until I can buy the official translation when they start coming out in April.
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 00:38   Link #1683
moose25

Well i finally just finished the book (I'm a slow reader) i really like it. Far more enjoyable than many books recently read. Yes it is short and relatively expensive but totally worth it. Think I'm going to buy the hardcover edition to support the series and to have Noizi Ito's cover art. So has anyone else read it? What do you think?
moose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 02:25   Link #1684
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Finished the official translation (got it in the mail Saturday), and I've got to say I'm impressed. I never assumed the translation job would be as difficult as translating an anime or manga, since those by definition have a more limited space in which to fit the work. If a single Japanese term can only be adequately defined by a sentence and a half of English, with a novel you can always throw that in as an aside, and as long as the majority of the flow is good, no one will really notice. Fitting a sentence and a half into two mouthflaps or a small speech bubble is a different story.

That said, keeping tone and flow is important, and they have succeeded in that.
Spoiler for length and anyone who STILL hasn't read the first novel:
Old 2009-03-23, 03:26   Link #1685
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Data Overmind
That tears it! I don't care that they left the groping scene intact, I don't care if Haruhi's mention of gang rape wasn't removed, so what if most of the translation is actually comparable to what is currently available. How DARE they use a different confusing name than the confusing name everyone is used to?!

This is barbaric!

I will not stand for it! They can just go to hell for all I care.

Okay, now that I've given the first angry rant response, I can be serious. It is nice to know that the "dumbing down" is actually relatively minor. If anything, it'll make it a lot easier to read, and that can't be bad, now can it?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 06:53   Link #1686
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I don't particularly mind the IDE having some different name.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 11:55   Link #1687
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I picked that as the rant target because it was the most blatant alteration. Personally, I actually like the idea of a two-word name for it, as now it matches up with Canopy Domain (though I don't really know what an overmind is )
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-03-23, 15:01   Link #1688
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny
*snip*
I'm relieved to know that the dumbing down and Americanization was kept to a minimum. I don't really mind the IDE having a new name, as long as the actions and purposes and whatnot of the entity aren't changed. The one thing I really don't like is the changing of the internal monologue stuff. If it's that clear, it's going to take some of the fun out of it. Still, as long as Kyon's his snarky old self...

I wish my copy would come sooner! I ordered it from the Chapters website, but I was only recently informed that if it's a hardcover it could take up to a week extra to ship.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 15:20   Link #1689
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Data Overmind?!

Who came up with that?!
Old 2009-03-23, 15:22   Link #1690
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
(though I don't really know what an overmind is )
"Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me."

Is the first thing I thought of.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 17:17   Link #1691
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
"Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me."

Is the first thing I thought of.
Same. Stupid American references!
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 17:52   Link #1692
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I... don't even know what that's from. Someone care to explain for me?

*e* Never mind. Just looked it up
Old 2009-03-23, 18:11   Link #1693
typhonsentra

By the way, Yen released the second volume of the manga this past week. The next volume will be the first one with material that wasn't previously translated into English.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 18:23   Link #1694
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I picked that as the rant target because it was the most blatant alteration. Personally, I actually like the idea of a two-word name for it, as now it matches up with Canopy Domain (though I don't really know what an overmind is )
I don't know if there's a real definition for it, but "overmind" gives me an impression of the old Twilight Zone/Outer Limits alien invasion episodes with a more psychological bent, where the aliens were all controlled/linked by some nebulous "queen" or "hive mind", and any individual sentience they had was by and large subsumed by the greater resulting ego.

Quite fitting for how Nagato initially (and in later, chronologically previous instances) comes across and is constantly referred to by Kyon as a "doll". This series is as much about her growth as a character (and steadily growing spark of individual existence) as it is Kyon's.

Wikipedia has a page on the word, which is pretty much in the same direction.

And I believe that quote is from Starcraft? Something regarding the Zerg Big Baddie (they being predominantly a hive mind collective)?
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 18:54   Link #1695
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
By the way, Yen released the second volume of the manga this past week. The next volume will be the first one with material that wasn't previously translated into English.
Wait, what? I thought the next one was the 3rd volume, you know the one with Yuki on the front and containing Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, Mysterique Sign and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody?

What do you mean by "first"?
Old 2009-03-23, 19:54   Link #1696
Hedd
Random Object

While I personally don't mind Data Overmind as another moniker for the IDE, I will admit this is what I thought of the first time I saw it:

Old 2009-03-23, 19:59   Link #1697
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering that Yuki could probably out Zerg rush the best Korean Starcraft players now...I suppose that fits.
Old 2009-03-23, 20:12   Link #1698
YohoBrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Wait, what? I thought the next one was the 3rd volume, you know the one with Yuki on the front and containing Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, Mysterique Sign and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody?

What do you mean by "first"?
I think he means that volume 3 of the manga (not the novels) contains new material which was not dubbed into english. (Filming of the Adventures of Mikuru Asahina)
YohoBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 01:01   Link #1699
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YohoBrook View Post
I think he means that volume 3 of the manga (not the novels) contains new material which was not dubbed into english. (Filming of the Adventures of Mikuru Asahina)
Which, coincidentally, is what Volume 2 of the novel is about.

Frankly, it's my least favorite volume. Can't really pin down why, though. Maybe the manga version will be more fun.
Old 2009-03-24, 03:01   Link #1700
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
While I personally don't mind Data Overmind as another moniker for the IDE, I will admit this is what I thought of the first time I saw it:

Ah... nostalgia...

That was quite possibly one of the funkiest "cheat" code that few know about.

Cheers.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga