Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-20, 13:36   Link #19741
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
What other use would we have for those F-35s we ordered?
Deliver Canadian maple syrup to Russia so they have a new condiment for their Blintz.

Special Report: Myanmar declares war on opium

Thank you, Myanmar, thank you. Now I don't have to feel guilty about killing people, directly or indirectly, on my next reservist duty.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-20, 14:02   Link #19742
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Interracial marriages reach a new record in the USA

Growing up in Southern California, and going to a school where the student population was half East Asian, I never really noticed. Mixed couples were everywhere.

Endless "Merely Unusual" Soul

here's the most unlikely mix i've seen so far...

Armenian x Chinese

it's so rare it's like winning a jackpot
Old 2012-02-20, 14:04   Link #19743
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Deliver Canadian maple syrup to Russia so they have a new condiment for their Blintz.
I thought than it was the job of the 4 C-17 .
Old 2012-02-20, 14:11   Link #19744
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I thought than it was the job of the 4 C-17 .
Eh no. The FSB forbids Canadian maplesyrup with their Blintz, only liquid vodka. They need stealth aircraft to deliver the goods.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-20, 14:53   Link #19745
konart

It's Maslenitsa here btw.

Eat ALL THE BLINTZ!!! Drink ALL THE VODKA!!!

PS: funny thing is - I've got maplesyrup at home, though only used it 2-3 times, like 5 year ago. D:
Old 2012-02-20, 15:03   Link #19746
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well maybe because the F-35 is the result of the Joint Strike Fighter program. And Cananda spent money on that program to find a replacement for their old CF-18s, the last of those was delivered in 1988.

It isn't like they bought F-22s.
Old 2012-02-20, 15:10   Link #19747
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It isn't like they bought F-22s.
I didn't think Lockheed Martin were allowed to export F-22 Raptors to another nation but at about $150 million dollars per unit that is probably a moot question! I doubt the Canadians would be too keen in making many orders of this aircraft at those prices...
Old 2012-02-20, 15:10   Link #19748
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
It's Maslenitsa here btw.

Eat ALL THE BLINTZ!!! Drink ALL THE VODKA!!!

PS: funny thing is - I've got maplesyrup at home, though only used it 2-3 times, like 5 year ago. D:
Try thinning an extra thick/heavy version of the syrup with vodka.

Old 2012-02-20, 15:34   Link #19749
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well maybe because the F-35 is the result of the Joint Strike Fighter program. And Cananda spent money on that program to find a replacement for their old CF-18s, the last of those was delivered in 1988.
To be honest, the economical factor might be the only good reason for us to buy the f-35 because of the money already spent on the program by us and the fact than some of the components are Made in Canada, a argument than the others possible fighter ( the Eurofighter for example ) didn't have.

Otherwise, others options would had been better for our regular operation and strike on protected targets isn't what it's most likely to be mostly used.
Old 2012-02-20, 19:55   Link #19750
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Otherwise, others options would had been better for our regular operation and strike on protected targets isn't what it's most likely to be mostly used.
But that's what the CF-18s were used for in Libya:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1949210/

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...munition-depot

If the NATO countries get into another fracas, it'll be good to have a multi-role
aircraft in the inventory.

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2012-02-20 at 21:00.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:02   Link #19751
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
If the NATO countries get into another fracas, it'll be good to have a multi-role aircraft in the inventory.
True, but it isn't what thoses fighters will be used for most of their service time, Arctic sovereignty and over-the-water patrols missions will. The F-35 is supposed to have less range than the cf18 and don't have the right communication equipement for Artic operation.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:06   Link #19752
AnimeFan188

Quote:
True, but it isn't what thoses fighters will be used for most of their service time, Arctic sovereignty and over-the-water patrols missions will. The F-35 is supposed to have less range than the cf18 and don't have the right communication equipement for Artic operation.
Really? I thought the F-35's internal weapon bays made it sleek enough to out-range the F/A-18,
as well as competing European fighters; who have to use draggy external storage.

Also, a "CF-35" would probably be configured for Canadian needs, as far as communications are
concerned.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:53   Link #19753
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Really? I thought the F-35's internal weapon bays made it sleek enough to out-range the F/A-18,
as well as competing European fighters; who have to use draggy external storage.

Also, a "CF-35" would probably be configured for Canadian needs, as far as communications are
concerned.
It does out range the F-18, on paper. It remains to be seen how that works in practice though. Combat radius of 590nmi vs 400nmi. Note that's for internal fuel. Add external tanks to either and you can extend that range.
Old 2012-02-20, 22:17   Link #19754
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

But adding external fuel tank on a furtif plane isn't such great idea unless the ''furtif'' element of the plane isn't required. But them, why spending so much on a furtif plane ?
Old 2012-02-21, 03:56   Link #19755
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Main issue with the F-35 for Canada is the cost and that it's a single engine design. Canadian fighters frequently fly sovereignty patrol missions over the arctic ocean, you don't want to just bail out if an engine goes - that's actually why we choose the F/A-18 as our last gen fighter.

Not that we don't lose CF-18s to engine trouble on occasion too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4yMVM2Vxas

I personally think it would have been sensible to buy something cheaper like the Super Hornet for the arctic patrol stuff (the CF-18 is perfectly fine for this, the airframes are just getting worn) and keep a smaller F-35 force for actual "hot" deployments. We only deployed 6-7 fighters to Kosovo and Libya - I suspect the main reason the rest of NATO cares if we show up is so that they can say "This guy is so bad even Canada wants to bomb him".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:35   Link #19756
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Main issue with the F-35 for Canada is the cost and that it's a single engine design. Canadian fighters frequently fly sovereignty patrol missions over the arctic ocean, you don't want to just bail out if an engine goes - that's actually why we choose the F/A-18 as our last gen fighter.

Not that we don't lose CF-18s to engine trouble on occasion too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4yMVM2Vxas

I personally think it would have been sensible to buy something cheaper like the Super Hornet for the arctic patrol stuff (the CF-18 is perfectly fine for this, the airframes are just getting worn) and keep a smaller F-35 force for actual "hot" deployments. We only deployed 6-7 fighters to Kosovo and Libya - I suspect the main reason the rest of NATO cares if we show up is so that they can say "This guy is so bad even Canada wants to bomb him".
I thought under the Westminister Statute you guys are still considered to be under Queen Liz as a constitutional monarchy, so you guys only do so when the Brits asked.

Old 2012-02-21, 06:59   Link #19757
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I thought under the Westminister Statute you guys are still considered to be under Queen Liz as a constitutional monarchy, so you guys only do so when the Brits asked.
In fact ye we are a constitutional monarchy but the ''monarchy'' part is mostly symbolic. we don't ask the British about what to do.
Old 2012-02-21, 18:37   Link #19758
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As to the oil/gas prices fueled by risky futures speculators - here's a guy who's trying to do something to put legal brakes on it with a large ban-hammer: Heatin oil dealer Sean Cota

http://www.cotaoil.com/news.html
Quote:
April 1, 2011
Last week, we reported on Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy's endorsement of heating oil dealer Sean Cota for appointment to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) this summer. Shortly thereafter, HeatingOil.com contacted Cota, who granted us his final interview before the president announces his official choice. In the interview, Cota discusses how his experiences as a businessman in the heating oil industry and a player in commodity markets led him to realize that the markets heating oil dealers throughout the country use to hedge their risk are in dire need of reform. He also gives a basic idea of the reforms he favors that would help give heating oil dealers a fighting chance against inflated prices and extreme price volatility. Of course, Obama's appointment of the next CFTC commissioner is months away, but the fact that a heating oil professional is even being considered is exciting news, and if he were appointed, it would be a huge boon to the industry.
Quote:
Washington, June 15 – Senators Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) today introduced legislation, to make federal commodity regulators halt excessive oil speculation that has driven up gasoline prices.
Naturally, no Republican senators anywhere to be seen... I suppose the GOP is doing their best to pretend it has nothing to do with their master's reckless behaviors.
Old 2012-02-21, 18:42   Link #19759
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering that heating oil prices in New York drive up the cost of gasoline in California....sigh. It has been like that since at least the days of John D. Rockefeller (Sr), who wanted to be able to know the price of oil no matter which location he was in, New York offices or California offices. (and we learned that in college history courses).
Old 2012-02-21, 18:42   Link #19760
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ah speculative economics. As my dad and brother say, too much prediction that messes up too many lives based on too many "what ifs?"
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international