Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-07-26, 20:09   Link #541
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Alright!
Manufacturing Robot? With the number of soldier and combat personel, that could somewhat solve the problem.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 23:48   Link #542
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Hey, have anyone give it a though about agriculture? I mean, with mainland Asia-Europe-Africa being swarmed with BETA! And not to mention these Nuclear-Contaminated Area!
Old 2013-08-09, 07:50   Link #543
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
As for blowing up the shell, I'd love to be able to do that, but I have a feeling the explosives needed to pull that off mean we have a negative return on investment.
- While I was talkign about AC4's Stonehenge with a friend, I just had a thought: If they somehow manage to produce more (and larger) Electromagnetic Cannons and launch them into Satellite Orbit--do you think an orbital bombardment of that sort might help against massed BETA?

It's probably more cost-effective than trying to make a big gun that a TSF has to lug around everywhere. MLAdoesn't seem to have any research or development into kinetic kill orbital rounds, so maybe an electromag cannon/gausscannon/whatever that thing really is might be better.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 08:17   Link #544
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

...Maybe. Much less hazardous than a G-Bomb, I say. But since we all know that the larger part of a hive is underground, so this might be a problem. Also, a railgun is easy broken, and fixing a large one in orbit... That is going to require TSF!
Old 2013-08-09, 10:58   Link #545
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

The amount of energy required to destroy Hive would be beyond a range of a "safe" railgun, i.e one that does not render its targeting area uninhabitable.

Keep in mind that G-bombs are not able to destroy a Hive without being spammed, which means that they're resistant buggers. You might as well hurl asteroids at Earth. It would be cheaper too, since all you need is a drive system, and a little mathematics.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 12:46   Link #546
John117xCortana

I think the only safe way to remove them without causing irreparable environmental damage is by using either a Mini Dimensional Eater from Macross Frontier or a jury rigged slipspace drive from Halo.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 16:09   Link #547
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, back to the old way!
Also, why couldn't they made a underground sonar to detect BEAT digging?
Old 2013-08-10, 02:09   Link #548
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
The amount of energy required to destroy Hive would be beyond a range of a "safe" railgun, i.e one that does not render its targeting area uninhabitable.
- I'm actually not thinking of a Hive, but rather a system to support TSF operations from orbit. EG something with a little more punch and effect than artillery and (relatively) outside the range of Laser-class. Maybe even supplement normal defensive lines against incoming BETA. To thin them out before TSF/AFV units would have to confront them.

Of course, I realize it's useless against BETA travelling underground...
Old 2013-08-10, 02:43   Link #549
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, energy then? Solar or Nuclear? And have you included the anti-force of atmotsphere?
Old 2013-08-18, 22:59   Link #550
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Orbital lasers.
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 00:17   Link #551
John117xCortana

You mean something like an Orbital Ion Cannon Network from Command and Conquer?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 11:28   Link #552
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
You mean something like an Orbital Ion Cannon Network from Command and Conquer?
Something like that, but only to kill Laser classes. Hives are to be dealt with TSFs or G-Bombs.

Have some Halo-style MACs too.
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 20:49   Link #553
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Halo-style MACs are basically coilguns, and suffere the same issues using railguns as orbital strike weapons.

That said, I have to wonder if there's a hard limit on Laser-class engagement envelopes: the laser beam travels at the speed of light, but how fast can the creature process the data and go through target acquisition? It's like having super-duper high speed SAMs, but your radar takes too long to acquire, so by the time you launch, the enemy is almost or already outside your engagement envelope.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 22:00   Link #554
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, consider the Terrabytes that Superior has to go through in a battle, something like targeting with a Lase-class wouldn't be so far impossible.
Old 2013-09-02, 02:45   Link #555
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
That said, I have to wonder if there's a hard limit on Laser-class engagement envelopes: the laser beam travels at the speed of light, but how fast can the creature process the data and go through target acquisition? It's like having super-duper high speed SAMs, but your radar takes too long to acquire, so by the time you launch, the enemy is almost or already outside your engagement envelope.
- Goose! SHHHHH!!!! I swear people are hacking into my PC and looking through my fic notes!
Old 2013-09-02, 03:51   Link #556
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, consider the Terrabytes that Superior has to go through in a battle, something like targeting with a Lase-class wouldn't be so far impossible.
True, but then that begs the question: if the Superior can pull ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL bullshit, where does it run out of range? Is the range limitless? How many assets can the Superior directly control at once? And so on.

I suspect that the further away the Lasers from the original hive, the more they devolve to local autonomous functioning, instead of ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

That also depends on whether the Yokohama Base attack BETA were under DIRECT CONTROL or were reprogrammed, or if the Superior was running them like a Starcraft player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Goose! SHHHHH!!!! I swear people are hacking into my PC and looking through my fic notes!
Again, like I said, it depends on the limits of the Laser, if it has to do it's own search and acquisition, or if it's being command guided by the Superior. We know that the Superior's controls can range up to Sadogashima and Yokohama, though again it begs the question of is the Superior ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL over everything...

Also, I don't need to hack your PC and read your notes, when I can read you.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-09-02 at 04:04.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:42   Link #557
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

So, another plot hole!
Old 2013-09-02, 05:15   Link #558
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Also, I don't need to hack your PC and read your notes, when I can read you.
- ...please tell Inia I wasn't fantasizing about Cryska last week. ...okay, so MAYBE I fantasized about Ivanova, but that's an entirely different thing altogether!

Oh, and give me an hour or so. I mgiht finally have finished that part of my fic that's been giving me so much trouble.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2013-09-02 at 05:41.
Old 2013-09-05, 08:18   Link #559
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- ...please tell Inia I wasn't fantasizing about Cryska last week. ...okay, so MAYBE I fantasized about Ivanova, but that's an entirely different thing altogether!
Don't worry, Inia is still in shock that I was doing naughty things with Cryska, and she didn't get invited.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 08:28   Link #560
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

You or your imagination self?

Tags
military science fiction, visual novel