AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 35 24.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 31.72%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 28.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-11, 18:01   Link #61
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
I've never seen this before. Who would want that information, and what do they eventually use it for?
I guess traffic info is very important to whoever needs to know about traffic congestion, them higher ups people. Its an important thing these days to know how traffic congestion is.

anyway I know one shouldn't really apply RL here but even if its anime those girls should have been wearing Hi Visability jackets, even if its during the day.
Old 2009-04-11, 18:19   Link #62
DidCart

A lot of character personality development on this episode!
I'm really enjoying this series! Yui is a lovely retarded girl, Mio is so cute when she is embarrassed. ^^ And it was also interesting to see the supportive side of Tainaka.

The only character that I'm not enjoying is Tsumugi. I don't know but she didn't have her moment on the series yet. Let's wait to see if she improves her participation in future episodes.

8/10
Old 2009-04-11, 18:25   Link #63
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidCart View Post
The only character that I'm not enjoying is Tsumugi. I don't know but she didn't have her moment on the series yet. Let's wait to see if she improves her participation in future episodes.
Heck, no. Didn't you catch her mighty eyebrow power moment? That was surely a win, in my book.

Old 2009-04-11, 18:41   Link #64
DidCart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Heck, no. Didn't you catch her mighty eyebrow power moment? That was surely a win, in my book.

Oh yeah! The mighty-eyebrow moment!

This will need to be better developed in future episodes. Was funny, but only this.
Old 2009-04-11, 19:04   Link #65
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Actually a lot of anime series tend to get slammed for lacking in "realism" these days. I've tried to point out the same thing as you have, that anime in itself is barely realistic at it's core, but nope, sometimes people just suddenly decide a show is "unrealistic" out of the blue and start to criticize it for it. As I've said before though, if I were criticizing anime for being unrealistic and using realism as a serious measure of it's overall quality then pretty much every show out there would get a 1/10 or a 0/10 even. Basically expecting uber-realism in anime and then getting all offended when it doesn't happen is like using a strawman argument to knock a show down. If an entire form of animation is barely even trying to be realistic on average then why should it be getting knocked for a lack of it?
I don't really think I saw people complain about realism in this thread. But there are shows that should get slammed for being too unrealistic, as the shows themselves take itself too seriously. K-On! is not a show intended to be realistic, so if people are slamming it because of this, well they surely picked up the wrong anime.

My complaints are largely of the nature of being intoxicated with character interactions that I do not find particularly fun or enjoyable. I feel that it is one thing to take characters and have them act in "cute" and "funny" ways. But when a show overdoes it, as I felt they did in this episode, it quickly gets under my skin.
Old 2009-04-11, 19:06   Link #66
TCman

Wow, why is this episode over so fast (again)? Can't wait for next week!

Well, I can say that the four girl are all so spontaneous. Yui is so funny and cute when she finally got the guitar she wants; hope she can play more than the one tune in this episode.

It's a surprise for me that Mio actually is a shy girl - in episode 1 I got a totally different image of her.
Old 2009-04-11, 20:08   Link #67
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Yeah, Mio looks similar to Yomi from Ga-Rei. She seems nice~

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-04-11, 20:26   Link #68
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
I've never seen this before. Who would want that information, and what do they eventually use it for?
As Bonta-kun mentioned, it may be used to evaluate the cost of traffic congestion (for future traffic modify). It can also be used to design the timing for traffic light in intersection.

My friend once was asked to count only the number of white-painted-car passing through the intersection, so i guess there are lots of other uses

Quote:
Mind to enlighten me what made you think Ui to be airheaded. In two episods aired, I can see she is proven to be opposite to Nagisa. Ui is obviously capable, responsible and level-headed girl, who is used to looks after the airheaded older sister.
So maybe she is a genius who use her "air headed mode" to pass through the boring kindergarten, primary school, junior high school.... then transform into "level-headed mode" when she needs to rock the school......

Anyone else notices Yui's friend felt both happy and sad when she saw Yui becomes more independent? And wow, they are friends since kindergarten...
Old 2009-04-11, 21:14   Link #69
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So maybe she is a genius who use her "air headed mode" to pass through the boring kindergarten, primary school, junior high school.... then transform into "level-headed mode" when she needs to rock the school......
I am lost. I was talking about Ui, Yui's little sister. I haven't seen a moment of air-headedness from her. You misread, didn't you?
Old 2009-04-11, 21:31   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't really think I saw people complain about realism in this thread. But there are shows that should get slammed for being too unrealistic, as the shows themselves take itself too seriously. K-On! is not a show intended to be realistic, so if people are slamming it because of this, well they surely picked up the wrong anime.
I can't think of many anime that are intended to be realistic. It's primarily the stuff of fantasy with concepts limited only by the imagination of the creators. That's why I watch anime.
Old 2009-04-11, 21:33   Link #71
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I am lost. I was talking about Ui, Yui's little sister. I haven't seen a moment of air-headedness from her. You misread, didn't you?
Yes, it was my mistake. To say the truth, it's the first time i knows Ui 's Yui sister name (i heard it before, but was like "can't be, the name sounds so strange").
Old 2009-04-11, 21:47   Link #72
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Here's a rundown on some of the things a count would be used for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agency For Real Estate Affairs
Traffic count surveys, both vehicular and pedestrian, provide essential data for the planning and siting of new commercial premises or for the potential acquisition of an existing business. Petrol service stations, shopping centres and convenience stores are among those that benefit most from this type of survey. Traffic volumes at, and near, potential development sites, together with relevant demographic data for the area, provide the most reliable indicator of the all-important passing trade.

Traffic counts are tailored to meet the requirements of each client’s need and all collected data is handled with strict confidentiality for the client’s exclusive use.
From http://www.area.co.th/English/bar13.php

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geography of Transport Systems
Transport planning at all levels requires understanding of actual conditions. This involves determination of vehicle or pedestrian numbers, vehicle types, vehicle speeds, vehicle weights, as well as more substantial information such as trip length and trip purpose and trip frequency. The first group of data dealing with the characteristics of vehicle or people movement is obtained by undertaking traffic counts. Those related to measuring trips involving knowledge of origin and destination require more detailed surveys.

There is a wide range of counting methods available. It is useful to distinguish between intrusive and non-intrusive methods. The former include counting systems that involve placing sensors in or on the roadbed; the latter involve a remote observational techniques. In general the intrusive methods are used most widely because of their relative ease of use and because they have been employed for decades. The only widely used non-intrusive method is manual counting, which enjoys wide application because of its ease. Intrusive methods, however, have evolved little over the last decade, but in the US, with federal transport policy emphasis on IT solutions to traffic management, progress is being made in the development of non-intrusive methods.

The major intrusive methods include:

Bending plate: a weight pad attached to a metal plate embedded in the road to measure axel weight and speed. It is an expensive device and requires alteration to the road bed.
Pneumatic road tube: a rubber tube that is placed across the lanes that uses pressure changes to record the number of axle movements in a counter placed on the side of the road. The drawback is that it has limited lane coverage, may become displaced, and can be dislodged by snow ploughs.
Piezo-electric sensor: a device that is placed in a groove cut into the roadbed of the lane(s) being counted. This electronic counter can be used to measure weight and speed. Cutting into the roadbed can affect the integrity of the roadbed and decrease the life of the pavement.
Inductive loop: a wire embedded in the road in a square formation that creates a magnetic field that relays the information to a counting device at the side of the road. This has a generally short life expectancy because it can be damaged by heavy vehicles, and is also prone to installation errors.

The major non-intrusive methods include:

Manual observation: a very traditional method involving placing observers at specific locations to record vehicle or pedestrian movements. At its simplest, observers use tally sheets to record, but numbers, on the other hand there are mechanical and electronic counting boards available that the observer can punch in each time an event is observed. It can record traffic numbers, type and directions of travel. Manual counts give rise to safety concerns, either from the traffic itself or the neighborhoods where the counts are being undertaken.
Passive and active infra-red: a sensor detecting the presence, speed and type of vehicles by measuring infra-red energy radiating from the detection area. Typically the devices are mounted overhead on a bridge or pylon. The major limitation is the performance during inclement weather, and limited lane coverage.
Passive magnetic: magnetic sensors that count vehicle numbers, speed, and type are placed under or on top of the roadbed. In operating conditions the sensors have difficulty differentiating between closely spaced vehicles.
Microwave- Doppler/ Radar: mounted overhead the devices record moving vehicles and speed. With the exception of radar, devices they have difficulty in detecting closely spaced vehicles and do not detect stationary vehicles. They are not affected by weather.
Ultrasonic and passive acoustic: devices that sound waves or sound energy to detect vehicles. Those using ultrasound are placed overhead to record vehicle presence but can be affected by temperature and turbulence; the acoustic devices are placed alongside the road and can detect numbers and vehicle type.
Video image detection: use of overhead video cameras to record vehicle numbers, type and speed. Various software is available to analyze the video images. Weather may limit accuracy.
From http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/e...n/ch9m2en.html

So yes, there are LOTS of important reasons why something like a traffic count should be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
anyway I know one shouldn't really apply RL here but even if its anime those girls should have been wearing Hi Visability jackets, even if its during the day.
Given that the girls aren't in the way of traffic when doing their counts and that they're doing their job in broad daylight I don't see what giving them hi-viz jackets would do other than making them extremely conspicious. It's not like they're contract part-timers working on a construction job or something.

Besides, I'd rather see the girls in casual dress, they look sexier that way...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-11, 21:52   Link #73
DidCart

Reading this last posts I saw that we didn't comment Ui, Yui's sister!

Maybe she will be the one that will cut Yui's air-headed moments! The smart little sister!

Like...

Yui: OH! The cakes were delicious! I think I'll go sleep!
Ui: NO NO NO! You need to practice guitar, don't you!
Yui: OH! I almost forgot!

YEI!

Last edited by DidCart; 2009-04-11 at 22:23.
Old 2009-04-11, 22:14   Link #74
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Given that the girls aren't in the way of traffic when doing their counts and that they're doing their job in broad daylight I don't see what giving them hi-viz jackets would do other than making them extremely conspicious. It's not like they're contract part-timers working on a construction job or something.

Besides, I'd rather see the girls in casual dress, they look sexier that way...
like I said even if its broad daylight and even if there not in the way of traffic altho I seem to get the picture that they are close to the road, they are working with traffic none the less and a Hi Vis jacket/vest is a must.

but like I also said its anime and RL really shouldn't apply here, I'm more just nit pickiing than anything else.

and yes I too rather like seeing the girls in casual clothing
Old 2009-04-11, 22:56   Link #75
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Thanks to 00, "unrealistic" is now the new "doesn't make any sense to use in this context but is my general insult for any show i don't like", replacing trainwreck, bad writing, and deus ex machina.
Old 2009-04-12, 00:19   Link #76
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hmmmm one part of this episode that did stand out to me was the part with Tsumugi in that sun hat. Mostly because for a second I thought it was going to get blown away like that one slightly famous scene in the Sailor Moon S season where Chibi-Usa met Hotaru (which is like the only scene I can remember vividly in that show and possibly cause it shows up in that awesome disco breakdown ending song). No awesome hat chasing/girl to girl bonding though.....but we did get some dramatic wind.

Man......I'm way to old to be referencing shows that came out like 15 years ago like this.
Old 2009-04-12, 04:40   Link #77
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Thanks to 00, "unrealistic" is now the new "doesn't make any sense to use in this context but is my general insult for any show i don't like", replacing trainwreck, bad writing, and deus ex machina.
Ah, the internet. So glorious.
Old 2009-04-12, 05:08   Link #78
hai_san

Let make a popular poll for the characters... i want to see a bloodfight between the fans
Old 2009-04-12, 05:21   Link #79
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Let make a popular poll for the characters... i want to see a bloodfight between the fans
The girls are all good friends so the fans should be too.

Far too early to do this anway, and I have a feeling it won't be much of a fight...if you're really curious then the number of fanarts should speak for the current favorite.

Last edited by Child_of_Sierra; 2009-04-12 at 06:07. Reason: grammar :P
Old 2009-04-12, 05:22   Link #80
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
I doubt it. The competition(poll, whatever...) is less fierce as the outcome has already been decided.....

Unless any future events gonna turn the table

PS: Chiled of Sierra beat me